Who Do You Think Is Going To Win The US Presidential Election? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Who will win the presidential election?
Clinton 12 100.00%
Trump 0 0%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
 52Likes

#1 Old 11-02-2016, 12:05 PM
Super Moderator

Who Do You Think Is Going To Win The US Presidential Election?

I've never been this stressed out about an election in my life...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-02-2016, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

The odds are it will be Clinton, but it's not a sure thing, and her chances of winning have dropped since the FBI dropped the "email bombshell" last Friday. Currently, most of the betting and prediction markets (like predictit.org and fivethirtyeight.com), show an approximate 68% chance that Clinton will win and around a 32% chance that Trump will win. This is a significant change since last week, when it was around 82% Clinton and 18% Trump.

For Trump to win, he'd have to somehow crack Clinton's "blue firewall" of swing states, which includes Virginia, Michigan, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Colorado. Of these, the states that are most doable for him are Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Colorado. I think that those three states will likely hold for Clinton, but it's going to be close. Even if Trump wins one of those blue firewall states, Clinton still has some outs in the form of North Carolina, Florida, and Arizona, which could save her.

Interestingly, Bernie Sanders, who lost the primary to Clinton, is the only major party presidential candidate that I'm aware of in history to have explicitly advocated improving the treatment of farmed animals.

Last edited by Dilettante; 11-02-2016 at 12:34 PM.
#3 Old 11-02-2016, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Please God, let a giant comet hit the earth and wipe out all of humanity before NOv 8...

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-02-2016, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

A Trump win could be the most disastrous result since at least 2000, if not before. I have predicted Hillary Clinton to win all along, I mean how many uneducated white males are there out there? But, at times like this, I am losing confidence.

It's interesting how much the odds changed after the FBI's announcements, but why? It was a blatant attempt to manipulate with no substance.

This election feels a little different. Trump has changed the rules by not being a standard Republican candidate; if the polls are showing any closer than 52-48 on the day before the election then it's too close to call.
Werewolf Girl likes this.
#5 Old 11-02-2016, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

The Chicago Cubs. Ooops. Wrong Thread. Never mind.
Werewolf Girl and silva like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#6 Old 11-06-2016, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator

Well, so far no one has voted Trump I guess that makes me feel a tiny bit better...

It's very worrisome to read the comments on any political article and see how many people are rabid supporters of his even though no one I know in real life seems to support him, I'll be curious to see how close the race ends up being no matter who wins.
Purp likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 11-07-2016, 12:21 AM
Cute fluff

We are worried too, here overseas.
This election will affect many other countries, not just the States. I've seen many videos of Trump's supporters and I'm so sorry for saying that but..they all look like a bunch of dumb puppets.
I recently saw a video that left me with no words. Do they even think at all? Or they just repeat? Cause even repeating requires some brain action, doesn't it?
Purp likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Come visit me at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- new weekly content about health, weightloss, fitness and lifestyle. I'd love to read your comments! ♥
#8 Old 11-07-2016, 06:50 AM
Baby Love

If Hillary doesn't win, I will lose all hope in humanity. This election has been scary to watch. I had thought we had advanced more as a country, but this has been a terrible reality check for me.
Werewolf Girl, Purp and Dilettante like this.

Last edited by Jinga; 11-07-2016 at 07:03 AM.
#9 Old 11-07-2016, 07:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Every time I see Trump on the news, I'm reminded of the bullies, from over 50 years ago, at my old school.
Purp likes this.
#10 Old 11-07-2016, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Trump doesn't even seem to like himself, he seems like a bad person with no brains and some kind of complex. Funny how these votes when people see who do you think will win vote for who they want to win. A lot of wishful thinking in this vote.
Purp likes this.
#11 Old 11-07-2016, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

The Daily Show is a left wing comedy show and I am writing this before even watching the vido and they will just interview Trump supporters until someone says something dumb, and just show that. If a Trump supporter says something credible that doesn't fit with the Daily Show's pre-conceived, scriped agenda for the segment, they will ignore it. It's in effect a scripted segment where they just search for people who will say something that fits with their pre-decided angle. The truth is a bit more nuanced than that.

There was an interesting BBC story in about 2008 when they were asking why people were voting for Obama and there were depserately vacuous answers. One said "change" and then asked what they wanted to change could not give any answer.
Purp likes this.
#12 Old 11-07-2016, 12:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not surprised to see all of the pro-Hillary, anti-Trump, votes and commentary on this thread. Certainly I fall into the same category and dread the thought of a potential Trump presidency, even though he has less than even odds of winning. Let's be aware, however, that we're a non-representative sample set. Most vegans and vegetarians skew left, I think in large part because animal rights and concerns for the treatment of farmed animals fits most consistently with social justice movements on the political left. If this were a hunting or a stock car racing website, I'd expect the votes and commentary to be very different.
Purp likes this.
#13 Old 11-08-2016, 03:40 AM
Cute fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
The Daily Show is a left wing comedy show and I am writing this before even watching the vido and they will just interview Trump supporters until someone says something dumb, and just show that. If a Trump supporter says something credible that doesn't fit with the Daily Show's pre-conceived, scriped agenda for the segment, they will ignore it. It's in effect a scripted segment where they just search for people who will say something that fits with their pre-decided angle. The truth is a bit more nuanced than that.

There was an interesting BBC story in about 2008 when they were asking why people were voting for Obama and there were depserately vacuous answers. One said "change" and then asked what they wanted to change could not give any answer.
Every TV show shows you what they want, I have yet to meet a journalist that does say things just as they are. They need to create buzz, so it's normal. This doesn't mean that I agree with this method but we are all aware of that (or at least most of us).
Not showing smart people from Trump's side is wrong but I bet that many of his supporters are like the ones shown in the video. Otherwise I don't see why ever would they vote him.
Purp likes this.

Come visit me at
- new weekly content about health, weightloss, fitness and lifestyle. I'd love to read your comments! ♥
#14 Old 11-08-2016, 03:00 PM
Bandit

Clinton will definitely win. Republicans are supporting Clinton in places notoriously red like Orange county, and Clinton is widely predicted to take the electoral vote, even if the popular vote is close. Though I voted for Stein, neither she nor Johnson are expected to be spoilers. Time, Fortune and the people of Guam have already called Clinton.

I'm surprised by none of this. I was heavily involved in the Sanders campaign and the California primary was obviously thrown. Then the DNC scandal...honestly I think anyone who is still allowing themselves to be terrified of Trump has drank a wee bit of Kool Aid.
Purp likes this.

"Thinkers may prepare revolutions, but bandits must carry them out"~
Ingrid Newkirk
#15 Old 11-08-2016, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

Well, it looks like we were all wrong...

I seriously can't believe this is happening. I'm terrified of what this means for people of colour, the LGBTQ community, and women. And is are a lot of people going to lose their healthcare? It's like a nightmare.

#16 Old 11-09-2016, 12:09 AM
Cute fluff

I can't believe this is happening, I woke up to hear that he was leading the election and my heart was aching. After 30 minutes they confirmed, he won.
How did that happen? I might understand that Clinton was not a better option, but voting Trump instead? How? Who in the right mind did this?
I don't know what to say, I'd like to write a rant but it doesn't matter. I'm disappointed, disappointed even in myself thinking that people still actually care about each other.
If people don't even care about their similar, how can I expect them to care about animals? This is just ridiculous, ignorance will overcome...well, actually, it already did.

Sad, so sad...
Werewolf Girl and Purp like this.

Come visit me at
#17 Old 11-09-2016, 01:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I have no words....:/
Purp likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#18 Old 11-09-2016, 04:24 AM
Peace

Personally, though I think it's not a good thing that this happened I do think Europeans are making too much of a fuss about it. People around me are acting like they are already in the apocalypse, my whole facebook is full of dramatic ''I don't want to live on this planet anymore'' posts.

I think that's nonsense, we're Europeans and this is an American election. Yes it sure affects us a bit, but not as much as most people here seem to think. The Russians are not on our doorstep, and neither are the Americans. I choose to focus on my own country. The only thing that truly worries me about this election is the apparent rise in fascism, I had hoped people learned from the past but apparently we have to go through that again. I just hope this time my country doesn't follow in the footsteps of America.

The bizarre thing to me as a European is that someone who calls to
''grab em by the pussy''
can be backed by conservatives..

For those in America;I wish all the best with this turn of events. I am really sorry for those of you who are vulnerable or a minority; I wish you all the best

I guess we're all curious what this will lead to.
Purp likes this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels

Last edited by Sidhuriel; 11-09-2016 at 05:56 AM. Reason: Spelling
#19 Old 11-09-2016, 07:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
Clinton will definitely win. Republicans are supporting Clinton in places notoriously red like Orange county, and Clinton is widely predicted to take the electoral vote, even if the popular vote is close. Though I voted for Stein, neither she nor Johnson are expected to be spoilers. Time, Fortune and the people of Guam have already called Clinton.

I'm surprised by none of this. I was heavily involved in the Sanders campaign and the California primary was obviously thrown. Then the DNC scandal...honestly I think anyone who is still allowing themselves to be terrified of Trump has drank a wee bit of Kool Aid.
My nomination for VB post of the year!

Last edited by leedsveg; 11-09-2016 at 08:34 AM.
#20 Old 11-09-2016, 09:27 AM
Veggie Regular

This was the best part of the night

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-...urge-1.3152744
Purp likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#21 Old 11-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Cute fluff

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
This was the best part of the night

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canada-...urge-1.3152744
haha yes, when I heard this on the news I was really giggling, incredible.
Also, so many VIPs said they would leave the states if Trump will get elected. Let's see about that..
Purp likes this.

Come visit me at
#22 Old 11-09-2016, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

We've had this in the UK when the Labour Party has looked like winning an election. Quite a few "stars" earning zillions a year, and worried that they're going to be asked to pay an extra thruppence income tax, promise to leave the country on a Labour victory but they never do...
#23 Old 11-09-2016, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

One of the worst things about Trump's win is a blow to the environmental movement including the fight against climate change.
#24 Old 11-09-2016, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_SPrincess View Post
Also, so many VIPs said they would leave the states if Trump will get elected. Let's see about that..
LOL. I think a lot of Americans are now finding out Canada has immigration laws and they're probably even tougher than the U.S. in enforcing them.
Purp likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

#25 Old 11-09-2016, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by H_SPrincess View Post
That was my first thought.
Purp likes this.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
#26 Old 11-09-2016, 07:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie in Chile View Post
One of the worst things about Trump's win is a blow to the environmental movement including the fight against climate change.
Exactly. I can't tell you how hard many of us in NE Minnesota have worked to protect the wolves from the recent legalized hunt (now they are back on the endangered list due to over hunting the few we had), or how hard we have worked to keep sulfide mining away from the edge of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area Wilderness, a federally protected wilderness area. It has been an ongoing battle for years and we have been able to hold back the company wanting to start it, and now we have far less support to stop it and they are on the verge of being approved to start it. :/ http://www.miningtruth.org/sulfide-m.../#.WCPp4vkrLcs

I have donated money to these causes, have joined rallies, written letters to government officials, signed petitions. And all for what? Very frustrating.
Purp and Dilettante like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

#27 Old 11-09-2016, 08:11 PM
Vegan since 1991

Republican and Democrat officials are not always as conservative and progressive as one might assume. Don't panic yet.

If you dig into the voting and policy records of politicians, you will sometimes find Republicans acting like Democrats, and vice versa.

For example, in the United States, the 2007 Solar America Initiative was a project of Republican president George W. Bush: http://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy07osti/41786.pdf

Also in 2007, George W. Bush greatly increased the fuel economy standards for new cars: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corpor...ty_Act_of_2007

I am not a fan of George W. Bush. My point is that political candidates have to behave in a way that attracts their target voters, but their actual personality and actions can be more reasonable. Trump's target voters were angry people. Trump behaved in a way that mirror their anger. I suspect that Trump is not quite as crazy as he seems.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#28 Old 11-10-2016, 02:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
I suspect that Trump is not quite as crazy as he seems.
I hope you're right. But if he's been "just an ordinary billionaire crazy" up to now, is having the "most powerful person in the world power" likely to curb his excesses? Mmm? On a personal interreaction level, I don't have a daughter but if I did, I wouldn't want her going within 5 miles of the bloke.
Purp and Naturebound like this.
#29 Old 11-10-2016, 01:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Guys, I voted Hillary. I really, truly am sorry about the next 4 years of US politics at the national level.

EDIT:I just realized there might be an upside to this. If Trump kicks out all the illegals, who work in places like slaughterhouses, vegetarianism might go up several notches.

Last edited by Purp; 11-10-2016 at 05:00 PM.
#30 Old 11-11-2016, 09:10 AM
Impeach the gangster

Some good news- the Trump victory means the US will not be participating in the TPP trade agreement. It would have given devastating new legal powers to corporations to strengthen their stranglehold on the world economy and middle class workers. It's clear now the US will not join. Obama and Clinton, God knows why, were trying to push the TPP on us. IMO, ths is a major victory for what I perceive as "the good guys." As disgusting as I find Trump, I have to admit, not all of his ideas are bad.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Last edited by Capstan; 11-11-2016 at 09:17 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page