Next time you attend a protest... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-28-2004, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Thank the organizers. I've been organizing my first protest, a small KFC Cruelty protest (20 or under people) for this Saturday, October 2nd, for World Farm Animal Day. It's given me an even larger respect for organizers for larger events. These are the last few days, and the last things are being pulled off. It's lots of hard, fairly thankless work. I knew it involved alot, but I never imagined how hard it actually was. It's truly inspiring, however, when people contact you and say they'll definetly be there, how glad they are to see things springing up in this area. It gives you faith in humanity.

God knows I'm going to just crash on Sunday from the sleep deprivation and such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-29-2004, 07:46 AM
Veggie Regular

Good point. I'll have to remember that the next time I'm at an anti-war rally.
#3 Old 09-29-2004, 07:49 AM
Banned

Clickman - do you want this in the Heap? Doesn't seem like a debate thread. Let me know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-29-2004, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

Clickman - do you want this in the Heap? Doesn't seem like a debate thread. Let me know.

What do you mean it doesn't sound like a debate?!? (j/k)
#5 Old 09-29-2004, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tame View Post

I figured it'd reach the more applicable audience, those who are more politically inclined. You can move it if you want.
#6 Old 09-29-2004, 07:22 PM
Jes
Veggie Regular

Good on you for standing up for what you believe in!
#7 Old 09-30-2004, 08:03 AM
Veggie Regular

i think the toughest things for organizers to communicate to participates are the parameters of the protest.

for instance, here in philly there was a political rally that was held near city hall. it drew a lot of people, particluarly young people, who wanted to "march." unfortunately, the organizers only applied for the rally space and got the appropriate permits and city secutiry (police) for that sort of protest/rally activity.

When the younger ones started to march, they began to block streets, and when they started to be arrested for disorderly conduct, they bagan to sit and lay in the streets claiming their right to assembly.

well, no one was challenging their right to assembly, but the city wasn't prepared for a march. When a march is planned and permitted, some streets are blocked off to traffic so that the marchers are safe and the traffic runs smoothly in alternative patterns. THe police also protect the marchers by maintaining traffic flow and following the march so that no one gets unruly (ie, looting), or hurt.

So, the organizers kept trying to tell the kids not to march because the rally wasn't permitted to march and that it would cause a problem to the city, in turn causing a problem for the organizers and the cause. Problem was, the event was huge (probably 500-800 people), and without being able to get this information out early on, everything went ka-blooey and people had to head for the hills or else get arrested for only a small percentage (about 200 or so) acting ignorantly.

So, be sure, when you start your rally/protest, that you're clear on what you're going to do and what you're not going to do. Tell the participants WHY you've set it up the way you have.

When our quaker meeting set up a peace rally with other local churches and communities, i made an announcement as people started to gather about the legal elements of the rally--the permits that we had and what they meant as opposed to others that we didn't have and what that meant, the decorum that we should hold in respect to the township, the police, and passers-by, and any other sort of "logistical" elements that needed to be conveyed.

It's important that that information is out there so that future events will run smoothly, without unnecessary arrests and what not.
#8 Old 09-30-2004, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

No, I will NOT thank the organizers!!

There, now it belongs in the Heap.

Anyways, great job on starting up a protest clickman!
#9 Old 10-01-2004, 12:08 PM
Veggie Regular

lol. btw, since someone pointed otu to me somewhere that 500-800 people is not a "huge" event, it is on a weekday when you're with quakers. most of our little gatherings and protests are no more than 7 people. we're like woohoo 50! please, 500 is a huge turn out.
#10 Old 10-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Beginner

I agree... Thanking the people who put all their time and energy into something is a great thing.

To the philly person. (sorry i don't remember the name).

I never, ever protest with a permit. I do not believe in em' nor support the use of them (however i will still go to someone else's rally with em')... BUT I also make it clear to the people who participate with myself that I do not use a permit.

The whole permit thing is a huge debate.. btu i'm not getting into it

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page