Veg*ns and migrant workers (Split from Stupid Things Omnis Say) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-23-2004, 01:10 AM
Veggie Regular

By the same token, I do have issues with Veggies and Vegans who think that by merely eating vegetables, they have reduced the suffering in the world by a wonderously significant amount. No creature should have to suffer for us to eat but the term "Mexcian Migrant Farm Worker" never crosses their minds for one second. People treated worse than even animals who make every vegetable grown in my state happen.

I find that intellectually feeble at best. Agribusiness is wretchedly wrong for the planet but everyone must eat. Many, many veggies and vegans assume quite causally that the suffering ends when they turn their noses up at meat. If only. America treats it's illegal, migrant workers like they are not even human. Refusing them basic rights like medical care, housing or education for their kids. Yet the entire agri-industry would collapse tomorrow if we had to hire legal citizens and pay them even minimum wage.

Maybe if Mexicans were cuter and fuzzier, people would give a damn.

Omnis are guilty of simply not considering what it is they eat. Veggies and Vegans are guilty of only thinking the problem through about half way.

ALL cruelty is wrong but nothing, not even the strawberries "ethical" veggies and vegans eat with such delight come without a terrible price. Large scale farming is destroying the oceans and rivers of the world and ruining poor people's lives.

Bon appetité

d
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-23-2004, 01:41 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

So what's your point? Don't eat, die and reduce overpopulation?

Personally, I have boycotted US products for many years, so your point is lost on me. Why can't you just buy veggies from a reliable source?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#3 Old 09-23-2004, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Maybe if Mexicans were cuter and fuzzier, people would give a damn.

Maybe if the issue was made more public, people would give a damn. It's hard to care about something you've never heard about before; I have most certainly never heard of this until now. Anyways your entire post has valid points but it basically bashing and generalizing veg*ns so I will just leave my response at this.

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-23-2004, 06:55 AM
Banned

Yeah, that post isn't in the spirit of this thread at all!
#5 Old 09-23-2004, 07:00 AM
Banned

OT: That's the beauty of my country; we have no border for people to sneak over. And when they come by boat we just sink it, pluck them from the water after accusing them of throwing their kids in, and lock them up for decades to come.
#6 Old 09-23-2004, 07:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starblossom View Post

Maybe if the issue was made more public, people would give a damn. It's hard to care about something you've never heard about before; I have most certainly never heard of this until now. Anyways your entire post has valid points but it basically bashing and generalizing veg*ns so I will just leave my response at this.

Well no. No. I hope I am not bashing and generaliziing vegans but my point (and I did have one) is that omnis mostly say stupid things BECAUSE as you say "It's hard to care about something you've never heard of until now." and this thread definitel bashes Omnis. I was one for most of my life and I feel very sad that lack of information is so automatically labeled as "stupid". There's a heck of lot MANY of us don't know and don't bother to look at.

Yes. Omnis are uninformed philistines. My point is that we ALL are to a large extent. Sorry if I hijacked. It's just too easy to sound clique-ish and superior when dissing large groups of people who don't do as you do or don't understand why you do what you do.

I beg that you fine people be patient with "stupid" omnis to the extent that you can. Certianly never take abuse! But if someone genuinely does not know the vegans don't eat fish, try not to guffaw or ridicule them. Try to be gentle and above all informative if someone has a question. You just might win over someone or make them ask more questions that could lead them toward eating more responsibly.

Again. I am sorry to hijack. Go bacl to laughing. I have laughed myself. As I mentioned. At my own mother's belief that eating lobster or regular beef is "more humane".

Peace Out.

Deb
#7 Old 09-23-2004, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Uh...the majority of omnivores are perfectly aware of veg*anism and what it stands for...anyways, don't take this thread so personally; almost everyone here used to be omnivores too. I was for 14 years. Lighten up!

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do (Oasis)

Feeling bored? Why don't you wander over to my blog sometime. http://thebohemiankitchen.wordpress.com
#8 Old 09-23-2004, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Since most of us can't vent about this stuff in our regular lives, this is kind of a safe haven to let out all of our pent-up frustrations. I don't think the vast majority of us would generalize that all omnis are stupid. It's all in good fun...
#9 Old 09-23-2004, 02:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVeg View Post

Well no. No. I hope I am not bashing and generaliziing vegans but my point (and I did have one) is that omnis mostly say stupid things BECAUSE as you say "It's hard to care about something you've never heard of until now." and this thread definitel bashes Omnis. I was one for most of my life and I feel very sad that lack of information is so automatically labeled as "stupid". There's a heck of lot MANY of us don't know and don't bother to look at.

Yes. Omnis are uninformed philistines. My point is that we ALL are to a large extent. Sorry if I hijacked. It's just too easy to sound clique-ish and superior when dissing large groups of people who don't do as you do or don't understand why you do what you do.

I beg that you fine people be patient with "stupid" omnis to the extent that you can. Certianly never take abuse! But if someone genuinely does not know the vegans don't eat fish, try not to guffaw or ridicule them. Try to be gentle and above all informative if someone has a question. You just might win over someone or make them ask more questions that could lead them toward eating more responsibly.

Again. I am sorry to hijack. Go bacl to laughing. I have laughed myself. As I mentioned. At my own mother's belief that eating lobster or regular beef is "more humane".

Peace Out.

Deb

I don't think any of us here are truely hating on omnis, it's just sometimes people say the dumbest things and you gotta laugh about it!

For example: Last winter I got that terrible flu that was going around, it SUCKED. Well, of course my dad and grandmother immediatly said "It's cause you're vegetarian!! You're unhealthy!!". Yeah, nevermind that none of the people I could have caught it from were vegetarian Ok so flash forward the other day, my boyfriend has been really sick, but I didn't catch it. I told my dad and my grandmother, and I was like "I didn't catch it cause I'm vegetarian!", and of course they're like "No! That's not why!". lol whatever...
#10 Old 09-23-2004, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccidentalVeg View Post

America treats it's illegal, migrant workers like they are not even human. Refusing them basic rights like medical care, housing or education for their kids.

First off, medical care, housing and education are not basic rights. They are not rights at all. If they were, then owning slaves would also be a right, as you would need someone to build those houses and schools, and provide them to those who are entitled merely by breathing. Can't pay for a right, right?

Secondly, migrant farm workers are there by choice (can't say that for farm animals). They travel a long way, risking arrest and deportation, to get these crappy jobs. One would have to want something to work so hard to get it. True, those jobs are not as desirable as the ones you or I have, but the agreement between employer and employee is just as voluntary.

By choosing to forego meat, veg*ns are divorcing themselves from a process which involves cruelty and death inflicted on the helpless. It is not a condition that we can change, but we CAN opt out of it, so we do. We also try to encourage others to do the same, in most cases. No one here has any illusions that their personal choice will tilt the scales and change the world. We just make a single person's contribution, one person at a time, in the hopes of changing as much as we are able. You can't ask a person for more than that.

The Rev
#11 Old 09-23-2004, 02:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rev View Post

First off, medical care, housing and education are not basic rights. They are not rights at all.

Okay, I know I'm contributing to this little OT conversation, but I just have to nod my head with what the Rev is saying. While migrant workers are being deprived "rights" such as medical care, housing, and education, factory farm animals are being deprived rights such as the right to keep all of their body parts, the right to not be tortured, and the right to live.
#12 Old 09-23-2004, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I just was notified that there was already a thread created for this discussion, so I am going to close this one.

The new thread is here:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=24697
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page