Veganism and religion - Page 5 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 76Likes

#121 Old 03-03-2017, 09:38 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy View Post
DebraH, You might still be a practicing Christian, even if you've moved on from the religion of your raising. Since dietary restrictions are part of that religion, and since up to about half of Adventists are practicing vegetarians, I’d guess Scripture is used often in intra-Adventist debates about what God would rather you did and didn’t eat. But outside that circle, not so much. A non-Adventist Christian might listen politely to your quotes, but if any of it sounded reasonable, they’d take it right back to their own pastor or study group leader, who’d bark it down because he eats meat himself and will tell you that Jesus did too, and that meat is a gift from God. I stopped looking to others to interpret what I could read with my own eyes, at some point soon after being no longer Catholic and soon before being no longer Christian. Those ancient texts are filled with wisdom, but they're extremely difficult to pin down on specifics because you can find a quote to argue your case as easily as another quote to help you argue the opposite case.

For me, Genesis got a lot more interesting and a lot less didactic once I noticed it had God basically lying to Adam and the serpent telling Eve the truth, about what would happen to them if they ate the forbidden fruit. And I took it as inspired comedy that the first “evil” they noticed and reacted to was their own nudity. Unfortunately, they had no lawyer who could have argued their case to their Creator. Someone who might have pointed out that they shouldn’t be banished from Eden because their transgression had occurred before they knew any better, before they knew right from wrong. Morally, it sounded like they were about two years old: The age where you do things not just that your parents would rather you didn't, but because you know your parents would rather you didn't. Because knowing that makes you want to do it more.
You're right, other churches have chosen to ignore many of the teachings for the sake of their convenience. Doesn't negate at all (if you are a practising, believing Christian) what God intended for His creation though does it?

Beginning with the Bible understanding that I have and after a lot of studying about NDE's, OBE's, the beginning basics of quantum physics and opening up my heart to what the animals want and need, I've come to the conclusion that the major religions are like 'thumbnails' of what the big picture (the Universe - and you can't get much bigger than that right?) is really all about. Tiny little pictures that show only the barest sliver of what really is. And mindlessly, humanity has thus far refused to go further than that with scientists happily tying everything to the idea of a 'material' world even in the face of proof that it isn't.

Based on all of those, I accept completely, the understanding that 'we are all One'. What we do to the least of them, we do to ourselves. And a modern day examination of the facts concerning meat/dairy consumption and the effect on the environment only lends more credence to that philosophy. We kill the animals, we kill ourselves. Christians, Muslims and Jews as well as the rest of the meat eaters refuse that understanding and hold fast to the notion of 'dominion' with an acceptance of humans right to torment (for convenience, fun, etc).

So if I am debating with a Christian person, darn right I'm going to include what God intended for them in my arsenal. You meet the enemy where they are and show them in words they can understand. What they do with those words after is not my problem. It then becomes between them, that part of them that is 'us' and the God they worship.

Last edited by 121938; 03-03-2017 at 09:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#122 Old 04-04-2017, 02:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, this thread ended up in a very different place than it began.

To answer the original question: I'm a vegetarian for the same reason I'm an atheist. I examined what I was taught as a (Jewish, meat eating) child, and decided it didn't make sense, so I rejected it.

--Fromper
#123 Old 05-28-2018, 04:57 PM

Reply to Oahspe a modern Kosmon Bible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
Oahspe, a modern 'Kosmon' bible, commands of its followers, "...thy change from a carnivorous man of contention, to an herbivorous man of peace. The four heads of the Beast shall be put away; and war shall be no more on the earth." I've long thought there is a direct correlation between violent behavior toward each other and the killing of animals, to whom we are closely related.

Oahspe is a redical VEGAN supracest Mind Control Cult that has spawned many, many, UFO Doomsday Cults, all of them waiting for a UFO Rescue.
I would be very careful around TROLLS who pretend to ask innocent questions about has anyone heard about this book? Yes, we have heard about
Oahspe, and this group is an INSANE MIND CONTROL CULT. These folks posting these things are trying to RECRUIT you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#124 Old 05-28-2018, 05:24 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson Payne Foundation View Post
Oahspe is a redical VEGAN supracest Mind Control Cult that has spawned many, many, UFO Doomsday Cults, all of them waiting for a UFO Rescue.
I would be very careful around TROLLS who pretend to ask innocent questions about has anyone heard about this book? Yes, we have heard about
Oahspe, and this group is an INSANE MIND CONTROL CULT. These folks posting these things are trying to RECRUIT you.

These two articles (and others) describe the characteristics of those religious groups that may be described as abusive or controlling: https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ition-religion
https://freedomofmind.com/bite-model/

Nutritionally-complete veganism (and other types of dietary rules, such as Jewish kosher laws, Muslim halal practices, and the Hindu prohibition of beef) is not a defining characteristic of mind-control cults.

If you believe that you or a loved one may be involved in an entrapping or destructive cult, please consult a degreed psychologist or licensed clinical social worker.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 05-28-2018 at 06:08 PM.
#125 Old 05-28-2018, 09:55 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodson Payne Foundation View Post

Oahspe isn't a cult. It's a book, nothing more, which anyone may freely read- or not- as they choose. I came across it almost 40-years ago, and in all this time, have met only three others who are actually familiar with what it has to say. None of them belonged to any clan or association. At its core, the book reaffirms the concept of individuality, as opposed to organization. It even says, the time of religious leaders- prophets, priests, Popes, etc.- is over, and encourages people to find their own, unique path to spirituality. I tried looking up your word, "supracest," but unfortunately, no such word exists, so I don't really know what you're saying. If you're insinuating I'm recruiting others toward a cause, you couldn't be more wrong. I live alone with my cat and dog, and frankly, enjoy the solitude. That you refer to yourself as, "we," and identify yourself as a, "Foundation," suggests it is you who are cult-minded.

Oahspe, like all books, is 'dangerous,' in that it promotes the exchange of ideas between people, but I don't think that's good cause for us to burn all of our books. Blaming books for our actions isn't rational. They may influence our thoughts, but they are not responsible for our decisions. We have to bear that weight on our own.

I agree with @David3 : if you or someone you know has had a bad experience at the hands of a controlling clique, you should seek qualified counsel. Best of luck to you.
Tom and Citrus333 like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page