Placentas - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-16-2004, 04:59 PM
Jes
Veggie Regular

I have to warn you guys that I found this to be the most entirely revolting idea I've ever encountered - and I have a high tolerance for squicky topics, so if you don't have an iron stomach, don't read on.

On another message board I frequent, a member asked if anyone'd ever heard of doing things with the placenta after giving birth. One idea she mentioned was planting a tree on top of it and another was actually preparing it for dinner and eating it. According to her, it's nutritious and the web is filled with recipes.

Unfortunately, I researched this, and it is true. I'm completely squicked.

You guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-16-2004, 05:21 PM
Veggie Regular

one of my girlfriends cooked and ate a small portion of her placenta after giving birth this summer.

her midwife and doula both swore up and down that it helps combat and sometimes even completely circumvent ppd, which she suffered from horribly with her last birth. so far, she's been on an even keel this whole time. so, i don't know. all i know is, i couldn't do it, even if i ate meat.
#3 Old 09-16-2004, 05:36 PM
Veggie Regular

You know, I did a search because I didn't believe it, and its true....I am shocked! I guess its not that big of a deal, but it does seem gross to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-16-2004, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

This is common in many cultures, and of course non-human animals do it too. Not sure if I would...
#5 Old 09-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, the placenta holds a lot of power in some cultures. I can't imagine eating one, but if that's what you want to do, have at it.

I once read about the huge culture clashes that happen in Western hospitals. Women from other cultures want to keep the placenta, to send to certain family members, use in whatever ritual, etc., but the nurses don't agree and throw them out. That I definately don't agree with. It came out of that woman, therefore it's hers to do with as she pleases.
#6 Old 09-16-2004, 05:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree, SilverC, if anyone wants to keep their placenta (or a removed kidney, or whatever) for themselves, it came out of their body and it belongs to them supremely.
#7 Old 09-16-2004, 06:04 PM
Banned

I agree. If you want your placenta, you should have it. I can't think of an excuse not to let someone have it, other than a Gulliver's travels yolks-up-yolks-down culture clash.

Frankly, I thought it was kind of cute-looking, not gross looking at all, oddly firm and floppy at the same time, and such an interesting shape, and I sort of had an urge to keep it (from my son and his mother) around for awhile, as a souvenir. I'm pretty sure would have changed my mind after a few days.

I'm not hungry for placenta at the moment, but I don't see the big deal about eating a placenta. Waste-not want-not. It is common for carnivorous animals to eat it. I think even some herbivorous animals eat it -- helps prevent predators from tracking them.

A removed organ or limb I'd probably feel uncomfortable keeping around. Constantly reminded that it is in the wrong place (on the bookshelf, instead of attached to me), but a placenta is supposed to detach itself from mom and baby. So it wouldn't be so unpleasant to have around. Seeing it would remind me that things went happily (assuming the mommy and baby are well); seeing an organ around would remind me that I lost an organ.
#8 Old 09-16-2004, 06:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow....just Googled "placenta" (I couldn't resist)...and came across this...... http://www.birthdiaries.com/diary/48vbirth2.htm

I must say, the finished product looks absolutley beautiful though.

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#9 Old 09-16-2004, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Absolutely disgusting...no explanation necessary!
#10 Old 09-16-2004, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Someone once brought home a bottle of "Placenta Plus" shampoo from the market for me...I guess it was on sale that week...worked real good though!

"you know, nowhere in the bible does it say that jesus was not a raptor"

www.animal-adoptions.org

#11 Old 09-16-2004, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Someone once brought home a bottle of "Placenta Plus" shampoo from the market for me...I guess it was on sale that week...worked real good though!

i've seen placenta listed as an ingredient in stuff like hot oil treatments for hair . . .
#12 Old 09-16-2004, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Ewwww. Just Ewwww.

Whatever floats your boat I guess, but personally the idea revolts me.
#13 Old 09-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Banned

Scorpius writes "Wow....just Googled "placenta" (I couldn't resist)...and came across this...... http://www.birthdiaries.com/diary/48vbirth2.htm

I must say, the finished product looks absolutley beautiful though."

It looks like a fun project. Maybe a better way to have a memento than keeping the actual plancenta. I wish I had thought of this 31 years ago when my son was born. This isn't a project though for someone who keeps a dog around the house. Another reason why I am against owning and keeping dogs.
#14 Old 09-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Banned

What you don't get from seeing a photograph of a placenta, is the sound it makes when it first flops out, and that it makes later, when you play catch with it.

Kind of flaaap-flup-lup-bluup when it flap-flops out. Then whapfla, whopflup, whapflup, whopfla.
#15 Old 09-16-2004, 07:23 PM
Banned

Seriously, a whole placenta is a wonderful thing to see -- as opposed to a partial placenta, one that you can see has a tear and a piece missing -- the latter would, of course, be bad news as it suggests a piece is still adhering to mom's uterine lining. Seeing the whole flapubly thing -- says that the whole ordeal is finally over, and suggests that there is a good likelyhood that mom has got thru the whole ordeal in one piece too, just like the placenta is in one piece.
#16 Old 09-16-2004, 07:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

What you don't get from seeing a photograph of a placenta, is the sound it makes when it first flops out, and that it makes later, when you play catch with it.

Kind of flaaap-flup-lup-bluup when it flap-flops out. Then whapfla, whopflup, whapflup, whopfla.

OH MY.
#17 Old 09-16-2004, 07:40 PM
Veggie Regular

i have a placenta story.

we kept the placenta after my daughter was born with the hope that we'd be able to bury it somewhere meaningful in the weeks after her birth. but it never happened and instead remained double-bagged in ziploc baggies in my freezer for months. finally we moved out of that place and i left the placenta for last in the freezer meaning to take it out after everything else was moved because i didn't want it to defrost or thaw completely being out of the cold for so long. anyway, long story short, i forgot the placenta in the freezer for my either my landlord or the new tenant to find. it didn't occur to me until we'd been moved out for over a week. i was sad.
#18 Old 09-16-2004, 07:50 PM

While I wouldn't want to eat a placenta, I'm not grossed out by someone else doing so, and I think that planting a tree over it would be wonderfully significant.

I'm surprised that so many people are surprised by this. I would have thought that the significance of, and assorted traditions associated with, placentas were fairly common knowledge.
#19 Old 09-16-2004, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

How would it go with fava beans and a nice kianti?

My Blog: beforewisdom.com
#20 Old 09-16-2004, 07:58 PM

You know, that might make a good movie line!
#21 Old 09-16-2004, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilman View Post

A removed organ or limb I'd probably feel uncomfortable keeping around. Constantly reminded that it is in the wrong place (on the bookshelf, instead of attached to me), but a placenta is supposed to detach itself from mom and baby. So it wouldn't be so unpleasant to have around. Seeing it would remind me that things went happily (assuming the mommy and baby are well); seeing an organ around would remind me that I lost an organ.

OMG
#22 Old 09-16-2004, 08:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I've actually heard about eating placenta as something vegetarians do...

bcause it's got all these wonderful nutrients in it, and it's still vegetarian because no animal had to be killed for it, and the one it came from gave it willingly... kinda like a breastfed baby can still be considered vegan.

I know a lot of animals eat the placenta after they give birth. It restores their strength when they're exhausted from labor...

but we all know that just because animals do it doesn't mean humans have to do it. I doubt I'll eat or really do anything with my placentas when I have children. But I won't knock anyone else who wants to try it.
#23 Old 09-16-2004, 08:22 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't think its really that disgusting or horrible. Its a little gross to eat it, and unlikely that I ever would, but I'm not gonna knock anyone who wants to.

Anyway, I wasn't suggesting we keep our organs if we ever have them removed, I was just saying.
#24 Old 09-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Ewwie. I haven't liked placenta since I was a fetus.
#25 Old 09-16-2004, 08:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Not umcommon in many cultures. I was going to save my placenta to give to my Bradley teacher for her classes, but I ended up with an emergency c-section...so my placenta got mutilated I was really looking forward to seeing the sack my son lived in for 9 months. It's really fascinating...however, the thought of eating it makes me want to
#26 Old 09-16-2004, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't think i'd ever do it, just because i woudln't want to

and i really don't care what's in it, it can be pure diamonds but if it used to be a part of my body there is no way in hell i'm eating it ....... it's like chopping off my finger and then eating it - gross.

i'm getting sick already .......urrr
#27 Old 09-16-2004, 09:01 PM

on the mothering.com board a while back they had a thread about doing "prints" of the placenta before burying it... To each her own... but the poster had "thawed out" the placenta and was going to ink it and put it on paper to frame then burying it... I think under a treee or shrub or something. And many other posters had also done similiar thing....

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

I'm all for ap parenting, but that's just too much for me!

Kimberley
#28 Old 09-16-2004, 09:19 PM
Veggie Regular

What the hell, I'm game...someone pass me a beer and the salt.
#29 Old 09-16-2004, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

If your seeking nutrients, I would strongly recommend nibbling on the umbilical cord. It's full of antibodies...and don't forget to store in your freezer just in case a bone marrow transplant is ever required.

Need a little cream in your coffee, nothing beats breastmilk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelOfDance View Post

I've actually heard about eating placenta as something vegetarians do...

bcause it's got all these wonderful nutrients in it, and it's still vegetarian because no animal had to be killed for it, and the one it came from gave it willingly... kinda like a breastfed baby can still be considered vegan.

I know a lot of animals eat the placenta after they give birth. It restores their strength when they're exhausted from labor...

but we all know that just because animals do it doesn't mean humans have to do it. I doubt I'll eat or really do anything with my placentas when I have children. But I won't knock anyone else who wants to try it.

#30 Old 09-17-2004, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Wow....just Googled "placenta" (I couldn't resist)...and came across this...... http://www.birthdiaries.com/diary/48vbirth2.htm

I must say, the finished product looks absolutley beautiful though.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page