Neighbors slaughtering chickens next door - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 06-05-2016, 12:24 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3
Neighbors slaughtering chickens next door

Hey guys, I live in NYC and for the past few days I've been hearing nearly constant screaming of hens (or roosters, since it's hard to see because of a fence blocking the view). From what I can hear, they're in cages the entire time, and from the way my neighbors were slaughtering a few of them a couple days ago, they don't do it very quickly or humanely, what with all the screaming and chasing them around. It's a pretty small backyard, and the screams are so loud, I can hear them yelling from deep inside the house with all windows closed, and so can the neighbors. It's pretty hard to hear the poor guys yelling like that, and to think of the conditions they're in. Is there anything that I can do about this? Any help would be appreciated.
ciblan is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 06-05-2016, 02:40 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,946
Raising hens is legal in NYC, not roosters.I'd research the laws and then contact authorities.
Blend your charges with both animal cruelty, noise, and health hazards
I'm amazed the city allows this to continue (as well as the Jewish tradition of slaughter). The diseases caused by confined birds is tremendous
silva is online now  
#3 Old 06-06-2016, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Gita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Mexas
Posts: 1,610
Even in a place like Iowa, while it is Legal to have livestock (chickens) you must have the hen house and so on a certain amount of feet away from the house and so on. Often if a person has a really small backyard, they may be breaking these laws. In fact there is no way to place a "hen-house" any where in the yard without being within a certain amount of feet (yards) from another person's house. I think something like 100 feet is about normal.)
The reason, as far as I know is that all deadly human diseases come from close living proximity to animals. Chickens also attract rats and roaches. I would personally get someone from the city coding or housing authority involved. Then again, if they are following all the codes and laws, their may be nothing you can do about it.

(I live in a small town in the country, but in the neighborhood I live in, the houses are too close together to have any livestock.)

Last edited by Gita; 06-06-2016 at 07:17 AM.
Gita is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 06-06-2016, 12:38 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post
Even in a place like Iowa, while it is Legal to have livestock (chickens) you must have the hen house and so on a certain amount of feet away from the house and so on. Often if a person has a really small backyard, they may be breaking these laws. In fact there is no way to place a "hen-house" any where in the yard without being within a certain amount of feet (yards) from another person's house. I think something like 100 feet is about normal.)
The reason, as far as I know is that all deadly human diseases come from close living proximity to animals. Chickens also attract rats and roaches. I would personally get someone from the city coding or housing authority involved. Then again, if they are following all the codes and laws, their may be nothing you can do about it.

(I live in a small town in the country, but in the neighborhood I live in, the houses are too close together to have any livestock.)


It's a pretty small backyard, maybe 2 times longer (and maybe a little wider) than an average driveway, and the chickens are like literally on the other side of the fence (in cages). You could just pop your hand in through one of the holes and you'd be able to touch one. And they almost constantly scream, too, almost like a cat in distress, within an hour of their slaughtering, so it's really hard for me to hear the poor things yelling like that, and I'm sure it's quite a nuisance for the other neighbors.


What on Earth is a person doing cutting chickens in such a populated neighborhood, I have no idea. Yeesh. And you should see how they just walk around laughing while taking them out of their cages to cut them, and then after they slaughter them; it's disgusting.
ciblan is offline  
#5 Old 06-06-2016, 12:41 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Raising hens is legal in NYC, not roosters.I'd research the laws and then contact authorities.
Blend your charges with both animal cruelty, noise, and health hazards
I'm amazed the city allows this to continue (as well as the Jewish tradition of slaughter). The diseases caused by confined birds is tremendous
Yeah, I've been thinking about doing that, but the rooster part is a bit hard because they have a pretty big fence, and the chickens are so close to the gate that I can't see whether or not they're hens or roosters. And there's no way to ask them because they don't understand English at all.
ciblan is offline  
#6 Old 06-06-2016, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Joan Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lovettsville, VA and Portland, OR
Posts: 1,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciblan View Post
Yeah, I've been thinking about doing that, but the rooster part is a bit hard because they have a pretty big fence, and the chickens are so close to the gate that I can't see whether or not they're hens or roosters. And there's no way to ask them because they don't understand English at all.
If they're growing meat birds, you couldn't pick out the boys from the girls by looking. Most backyard chickens are that Cornish cross frankenbird breed that the industry uses. They grow very fast and by the time they reach slaughter weight they're still technically chicks, too young to either crow or fight. If they had mature roosters over there, you'd know because of all the crowing. I don't think inspectors will ding them for keeping roosters if they're chicks, if they're not being kept alive to maturity. It's the crowing that's behind the ordinances saying people can keep hens but not roosters.

Last edited by Joan Kennedy; 06-06-2016 at 07:31 PM.
Joan Kennedy is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off