Your Vote Does not matter! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-11-2004, 02:32 PM
Beginner

I figured I'd post this... This was in response to some thread about "throwing your vote away"... I hope it doesn't sound to self riteous...

THE ELECTORIAL COLLEGE! they chose who our president is. Or like last election the supreme court did.

It does NOT matter AT ALL who you vote for! The only reason to vote is to show that we don't want someone to be president but that means squat! Or if a candidate gets I believe it's %3 of the vote they will get govnmnt money to run for pres the next time. That's why it's important to vote for 3rd party. The demoncrates and republicons already will get at least %3 because we have a two party system so voting for them doesn't REALLY do ANY GOOD.

Wake up people... We are not a democracy. We are a "To the REPUBLIC for which it stands". Which means that we vote for people who either Appoint others to represent us (such as the electorial college, we do NOT appoint them! and they pick our pres!) or we vote to appoint people to represent us. Such as Senate congross, yadda yadda.

I will vote this year... I will vote for this year... I will write my own name in just as I have done before.... And my vote will matter just as much as your vote... Because the electorial college will have already voted for me!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-11-2004, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Moving this to the Heap...

We see the world as "we" are, not as "it" is; because it is the "I" behind the "eye" that does the seeing.
#3 Old 09-11-2004, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Not trying to be rude here...but what is your point?

Is it that we should vote for a 3rd party candidate?

I know how the electoral college works, but I still had a really difficult time following your post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-11-2004, 02:59 PM
Veggie Regular

FYI... the people of the electoral college represent the voters at home. It is very rare for members of the electoral college to vote for someone other than what their state voted for. Your vote does indeed count, the electoral college just puts the counting on a smaller scale. Not sure where you got your information but you are ill informed as to the political voting process in this country.
#5 Old 09-11-2004, 03:16 PM
Veggie Regular

RWF...technically, the electors can cast the vote for whomever they choose though. While they are expected to vote for the candidate that won the popular vote for the state (and generally would since they are selected from the winning candidates party), they are under no legal obligation to do so.

I could be wrong, but I seem to recall reading about one instance where a few members from the electoral college voted against their party lines and it changed the result of the election sometime back in the early 1800's or so. The public was outraged, but really couldn't do anything about it.
#6 Old 09-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelsunrise View Post

RWF...technically, the electors can cast the vote for whomever they choose though.

Hence the reason I said it is "very rare" for the electoral college representatives to vote for someone other than what represents the voters of their state.
#7 Old 09-11-2004, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

bizarre, and even you are confused RedWingsFAn ??
#8 Old 09-11-2004, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

heh - "demoncrates and republicons"
#9 Old 09-11-2004, 05:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post

FYI... the people of the electoral college represent the voters at home. It is very rare for members of the electoral college to vote for someone other than what their state voted for. Your vote does indeed count, the electoral college just puts the counting on a smaller scale. Not sure where you got your information but you are ill informed as to the political voting process in this country.

If this is true, then how can someone win by electoral votes but lose by popular vote?

The electoral college is an outdated system but we are stuck with it.

Sunny
#10 Old 09-11-2004, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegAnaconda View Post

bizarre, and even you are confused RedWingsFAn ??

Not confused at all on the way the voting or electoral college works... I put the confused face because I was confused as to why she wrote that the electors can technically choose who they want although it was rare. She had repeated what I had already wrote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissancesun View Post

If this is true, then how can someone win by electoral votes but lose by popular vote? The electoral college is an outdated system but we are stuck with it. Sunny

It makes perfect sense. Here is how the electoral college is set up:

The Constitution, in Article 2, Section 1, provides: Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress.

Perhaps this will explain it further:

"The Electoral College is a block, or weighed, voting system that is designed to give more power to the states with more votes, but allows for small states to swing an election, as happened in 1876. Under this system, each state is assigned a specific number of votes that is proportional to its population, so that each state's power is representative of its population. So, while winning the popular vote may not ensure a candidate's victory, a candidate must gain popular support of a particular state to win the votes in that state. The goal of any candidate is to put together the right combination of states that will give him or her 270 electoral votes."

For a complete explanation visit:

http://www.fec.gov/pages/ecmenu2.htm

http://people.howstuffworks.com/electoral-college1.htm
#11 Old 09-11-2004, 06:51 PM
Veggie Regular

You argue that it doesn't matter who we vote for and also that it's "important to vote for 3rd party."

Which is your argument? You can't have both.
#12 Old 09-11-2004, 07:36 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWF View Post

Under this system, each state is assigned a specific number of votes that is proportional to its population, so that each state's power is representative of its population.

Rather than being reliant on voter turnout. In 2000 voter turnout ranged from 41% in Hawaii to 69% in Minnesota. Yet each state influenced the election relative to it's total population, not just the number of voters.
#13 Old 09-13-2004, 12:41 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

You argue that it doesn't matter who we vote for and also that it's "important to vote for 3rd party."

Which is your argument? You can't have both.

I think i stated it very clearly, though I was tired and may not have.

Voting for president as a whole does not matter... because the Electorial college votes for us with the interest of the party and sponsors who put them into position. We do not even have the choice to vote them in.

So voting for Kerry or Bush whom already get Govn't money to run for president does not make any impact whatsoever.

By voting for 3rd party you are at least giving that candidate the same Govn't money/chance the next time around if s/he gets %3 of the votes.

The subject of my title may have been "your vote doesn't count" or something to that effect but that was myself generalizing what the post is about. I didn't think I had to be so technical.
#14 Old 09-13-2004, 12:45 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by renaissancesun View Post

If this is true, then how can someone win by electoral votes but lose by popular vote?

The electoral college is an outdated system but we are stuck with it.

Sunny

We are not stuck with anything... Women were not stuck without the right to vote, blacks were not stuck without the right to freedom, We are not stuck! We must/can/will change our systems.

Apathy kills.

#15 Old 09-13-2004, 12:48 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by revelsunrise View Post

Not trying to be rude here...but what is your point?

Is it that we should vote for a 3rd party candidate?

I know how the electoral college works, but I still had a really difficult time following your post.

Sorry I was confusing I tried to be clear...

It was basically a response to another post that I just copied and pasted into this because I figured it deserved some attention. (at least I think so haha).

My whole point was to just state that electorial college decides who's president, or like last year the supreme court does. Popular vote is an opinion that isn't even counted 100% before the president is elected. The only time it matters is at least when you vote 3rd party if they get enough votes they get govn't money to run next time. And the encouragement to hopefully one day not have to hope for the worst of 2 evils.

I hope this all makes more sense...

Peace!
#16 Old 09-13-2004, 02:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadrashClothing View Post

We are not stuck with anything... Women were not stuck without the right to vote, blacks were not stuck without the right to freedom, We are not stuck! We must/can/will change our systems.

Apathy kills.

Well, I don't normally think of myself as an apathetic person but fortunatley (and maybe in some cases unfortunatley, depending on one's beliefs) the constitution is REALLY HARD to change.

I guess right now I am feeling a bit apathetic about this becuase it is 3:45 am and I can't sleep...or spell.

Sunny

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page