Pictures of Atlantis? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-08-2016, 10:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Pictures of Atlantis?

Just to compare, pictures with added Pyramids and Stonehenge. These sunken islands are placed where Atlantis was supposed to be. What do you think? All details from Plato fit It can be find in Google Maps, GPS: 31.980123, -27.949219
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stonehenge.png
Views:	90
Size:	424.9 KB
ID:	14601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Piramids.png
Views:	105
Size:	392.9 KB
ID:	14609  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2016, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't know anything much at all about Atlantis, I realise that it's a prominent fantastical place in historical popular imagination. However just because there's a huge amount of fantasy surrounding the idea of Atlantis, I wouldn't poo-poo the notion that there have may have been fairly evolved civilisations located on areas of land that have long since been lost beneath the sea due to the way the earth's tectonic plates move, and that memories of such places may have been passed down in oral history.

I recall watching a documentary about the library of Alexandria, which was destroyed, and that it was said to have contained a ten volume history of the world, with each volume being the size of the Bible. Whoa! One can only wonder at what may have been contained therein.

That said, I have no opinion on these images.

Last edited by Spudulika; 05-08-2016 at 11:20 AM.
#3 Old 05-08-2016, 03:05 PM

I checked it out on google maps. Honestly, it looks like some nondescript land formations in the middle of the ocean. I'm all for speculation about Atlantis folklore, but what makes you so sure these islands are anything special?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-09-2016, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
I recall watching a documentary about the library of Alexandria, which was destroyed, and that it was said to have contained a ten volume history of the world, with each volume being the size of the Bible. Whoa! One can only wonder at what may have been contained therein.
Well, I think it would be discrimination assuming that only we are able to advance civilization. For example, people 40 000 years ago were the same as we are now from genetic point of view. In the worst case, it took us 10 000 years to advance civilization from zero to the point we have now, so there's a place for 4 such civilizations in this time. There's only hope some of that books survived buried deep in the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeganBarBro View Post
what makes you so sure these islands are anything special?
Well, if you look closely, you can see completely straight lines, some more than 18km long, and at right angles, see attachements (I marked the entrance to the haven also). Nature simply can't do that, it's too long.

Things that can be discernible, according to Plato works:

1. Beyond the Pillars of Hercules
Checked

2. Starting from a distant point in the Atlantic ocean
Checked

3. "But that yonder is a real ocean, and the land surrounding it may most rightly be called, in the fullest and truest sense, a continent"
Checked. Plato mentions America more than thousand years before it was supposedly discovered by Europeans, so it's a good indication it's not just Plato's fantasy.

4. Haven having a narrow entrance
Checked

5. Mountains in the northern portions and along the shore
Checked

6. Great plain in an oblong shape in the south
Checked

7. Bridges northward from the mountain, making a route to the rest of the island
Checked

8. Occurred portentous earthquakes and floods
it's near the Atlantic Ridge, so the earthquakes definitely happened. According to Plato's timing, it was the end of the last ice age, so one possibility is that earthquake caused some huge iceberg to fall off, what in turn caused a mega tsunami, and this could sunk the island in no time.

9. Swallowed up by the sea and vanished
Now it's below the sea level.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AtlantisI.png
Views:	99
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	14617   Click image for larger version

Name:	AtlantisII.png
Views:	97
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	14625  

Last edited by Scarecrow; 05-09-2016 at 05:04 AM.
#5 Old 05-09-2016, 03:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I have another curious thing, zoomed out it looks like Triskelion - very popular symbol, its oldest known appearance can be found on the prehistoric monument Newgrange in Ireland (around 3000BC). This example below is from a Greek coin (picture taken from Wikipedia).

This brings some hypothesis about the purpose of monuments like Newgrange, Stonehenge, etc. They could be the reference for calibrating clocks. If builders were advanced sailors they would need very precise mobile clocks (probably not available at that time) to know where they are. With such reference clock they could see the difference between their clocks and real time, and count the needed patch, so for their purpose it was enough if they had not so precise but a stable clocks. And it could explain why they were set to Winter Solstice, it was the hardest time for sailing, so they could all be at home at that time.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Triskele.png
Views:	98
Size:	494.3 KB
ID:	14649  

Last edited by Scarecrow; 05-09-2016 at 05:19 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page