Trump gets Republican nomination - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

#1 Old 05-04-2016, 11:05 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Trump gets Republican nomination

It won't be official until the convention of course, but everyone else has dropped out. There won't be a contested convention, so all that maneuvering is officially irrelevant. Barring some unlikely surprise, Donald Trump is your Republican nominee.

So how do y'all feel about that? I'm not 'on that team', so it's not much different than if they had picked someone else. You have to take the competition seriously whoever it is. I feel bad for my conservative friends, though.
Purp likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-04-2016, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Wouldn't it be crazy if Trump was actually on Hillary's team and is doing this just so she can win? That would be crazy. I did hear Trump is going to build a yuuuuuuuuuge wall.
#3 Old 05-04-2016, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

It's a sad statement about this country that he has gotten this far. Very, very disturbing.
Tom_ZeCat, Purp, janetc and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-04-2016, 01:31 PM
Vivamus convallis feugiat

Better Trump than Cruz. In the unlikely event Trump won the election, I believe he is a moderate and a deal maker who would be easily constrained from doing all the nonsense he blabbers about by congress and the system. Cruz, on the other hand, is a wicked smart ideological snake who would be far more trouble. That said, I think Trump will lose in a landslide and that's going to be entertaining to watch. I'm looking forward to watching the election season unfold.
Purp likes this.
#5 Old 05-04-2016, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by terra biped View Post
Better Trump than Cruz. In the unlikely event Trump won the election, I believe he is a moderate and a deal maker who would be easily constrained from doing all the nonsense he blabbers about by congress and the system. Cruz, on the other hand, is a wicked smart ideological snake who would be far more trouble. That said, I think Trump will lose in a landslide and that's going to be entertaining to watch. I'm looking forward to watching the election season unfold.
I agree, but it's the cult following him that concerns me. They're not going away, and have no real substance other than feeling oppressed and dismissed- like they're jealous of slavery and gender bias etc.

Anyone want to bet Trump picks Palen?
#6 Old 05-04-2016, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

I do feel bad for true republicans. They let the Tea party infiltrate their party in attempts to gain power and it just seemed to cause inbreeding
Purp, Beautiful Joe and Thalassa4 like this.
#7 Old 05-04-2016, 06:39 PM
Vivamus convallis feugiat

Speaking of Trump supporters, I am currently reading "Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America's Class War" by Joe Bageant. It was written in 2008, but it is very much about the sort of people who love Trump. And let's just say you are not likely to meet them on veggieboards. I highly recommend the book. That author has a real way with words.
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 05-04-2016, 10:16 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I think Trump will lose in a landslide
I'm not so certain. On the show I'm watching at the moment they're playing a loop of predictions people made about Trump 9 months ago. The general consensus was he'd drop out fairly early. Whoops. I'm not saying it looks like he has a good chance, but at this point it looks like he'll hold on to most of the states that went red in 2012. Adding states looks tough, though.

Conservative intellectual George Will is calling for conservatives to vote for Hillary for president to hand Trump a 50 state loss, live through one term of her as president, and start over in 2020.
Purp likes this.

#9 Old 05-04-2016, 10:26 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Apparently, when he officially gets the nomination, he starts getting classified briefings from th CIA. What could possibly go wrong?
Purp and Beautiful Joe like this.

#10 Old 05-05-2016, 04:48 PM
Veggie Regular

I like the new online ads by the Clinton campaign, seen in this article: http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate...oth_sides.html
Purp likes this.
#11 Old 05-05-2016, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

So hillary is attacking someone for....attacking people? Yay political logic.
Purp likes this.
#12 Old 05-05-2016, 07:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
So hillary is attacking someone for....attacking people? Yay political logic.
Are you really saying that quoting someone (or showing video of them speaking publicly) is "attacking" them?

Oh ****. I guess I just attacked you.
silva, Purp, TailFin and 1 others like this.
#13 Old 05-05-2016, 07:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Hillary Lets Republicans Do All the Talking in Her New Trump Attack Ads
/shrug
Purp likes this.
#14 Old 05-05-2016, 08:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by odizzido View Post
/shrug
Ah, you read the headline, but not the article.
Purp and TailFin like this.
#15 Old 05-05-2016, 08:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I read half the article and watched one video. While I agree that trump does a pretty good job of making himself look bad I also think the ads are made with the sole purpose of making him look bad.....I mean, of course they are. That's why they are about him.
Purp likes this.
#16 Old 05-25-2016, 05:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Dear World, I am really sorry you are seeing the United States at it worst. Please forgive up. Sincerely, PWB (People With Brains)

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#17 Old 05-25-2016, 08:24 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

"ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — In one of the presidential campaign year's more grisly spectacles, protesters in New Mexico opposing Donald Trump's candidacy threw burning T-shirts, plastic bottles and other items at police officers, injuring several, and toppled trash cans and barricades.

Police responded by firing pepper spray and smoke grenades into the crowd outside the Albuquerque Convention Center.

During the rally, the presumptive Republican presidential nominee was interrupted repeatedly by protesters, who shouted, held up banners and resisted removal by security officers.

The banners included the messages "Trump is Fascist" and "We've heard enough."...

~Snip~

"The altercations left glass at the entrance of the convention center smashed.

Albuquerque attorney Doug Antoon said rocks were flying through the convention center windows as he was leaving Tuesday night. Glass was breaking and landing near his feet.

"This was not a protest, this was a riot. These are hate groups," he said of the demonstrators.

Albuquerque police said several officers were treated for injuries after getting hit by rocks thrown by protesters. At least one person was arrested from the riot, police said."

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/02520...lly-new-mexico
#18 Old 05-26-2016, 03:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I can't believe the amount of violence surrounding all of the candidate rallies lately. It's frightening.

I went to a Clinton (Bill) rally in 1992 when he was running for president and I was a college student at Ohio State University. There were protesters there and they made themselves known, but they were not violent, and Clinton even addressed them civilly and listened to them and responded about their concerns. The protesters were a bit obnoxious but they were never removed.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#19 Old 05-26-2016, 11:34 AM
Riot Nrrrd

Trump clinched today. Unbound delegates in several states pledged to support Trump, pushing him over the 1237 delegates required for the Republican nomination. There are still holdouts in Republican leadership and the conservative intellectual elites, but for the most part Republicans are rolling over and giving in. Rick Perry once called Trump a 'cancer', now he's on team Trump. Even Lindsey Graham, once a vocal critic who harshly denounced Trump, now speaks softly in almost friendly tones.

---

The people who organized to protest Trump and the people who showed up to raise a ruckus are largely NOT the same people. There was of course some overlap, but it was for the most part two distinct groups.

#20 Old 05-26-2016, 02:06 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
Trump clinched today. Unbound delegates in several states pledged to support Trump, pushing him over the 1237 delegates required for the Republican nomination. There are still holdouts in Republican leadership and the conservative intellectual elites, but for the most part Republicans are rolling over and giving in. Rick Perry once called Trump a 'cancer', now he's on team Trump. Even Lindsey Graham, once a vocal critic who harshly denounced Trump, now speaks softly in almost friendly tones.

---

The people who organized to protest Trump and the people who showed up to raise a ruckus are largely NOT the same people. There was of course some overlap, but it was for the most part two distinct groups.
Do you have a link? The things I read didn't mention that.
#21 Old 05-27-2016, 12:32 AM

I have to admit that lately there has been an increase in fascism recently in Europe too. A few days ago, the populist candidate for the office of Austrian chancellor was beaten in extremis by the left-wing candidate. There is an increased number of attacks on refugees almost everywhere. The more intellectual part of France still struggles to rid itself of the extreme right-wing Le Pen dynasty, especially now that with mother and daughter, they have a more presentable face than with the old grumpy guy. The new right-wing AfD party in Germany is getting increasingly popular, although they have some internal struggles I believe. And that's just the things I know about.

Here in Luxembourg however, a guy who distributed leaflets with fascist propaganda just got sentenced to 8 months of prison. That's one small ray of light, although I get the urge again to move to a remote island and be done with it.

But I am still glad I have a few hundred miles of ocean between Trump and me. I think that he would as president nevertheless be subject to the same lobbies and interest groups that prevented Obama from becoming the superb president everyone had expected him to become in the beginning. So maybe things would just stay as they are. Ok, that may not be great as well, but better than hell on earth

Blog and vegetarian recipe books:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

#22 Old 05-27-2016, 12:42 AM
Veggie Recycler

#NotTrump

I mean, anyone except that pathological narcissist, though I'm for Bernie.
Jek the Immortal likes this.
#23 Old 05-27-2016, 12:44 AM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1 View Post
I have to admit that lately there has been an increase in fascism recently in Europe too. A few days ago, the populist candidate for the office of Austrian chancellor was beaten in extremis by the left-wing candidate. There is an increased number of attacks on refugees almost everywhere. The more intellectual part of France still struggles to rid itself of the extreme right-wing Le Pen dynasty, especially now that with mother and daughter, they have a more presentable face than with the old grumpy guy. The new right-wing AfD party in Germany is getting increasingly popular, although they have some internal struggles I believe. And that's just the things I know about.

Here in Luxembourg however, a guy who distributed leaflets with fascist propaganda just got sentenced to 8 months of prison. That's one small ray of light, although I get the urge again to move to a remote island and be done with it.

But I am still glad I have a few hundred miles of ocean between Trump and me. I think that he would as president nevertheless be subject to the same lobbies and interest groups that prevented Obama from becoming the superb president everyone had expected him to become in the beginning. So maybe things would just stay as they are. Ok, that may not be great as well, but better than hell on earth

Uh...Trump would be hell on earth. He does not even understand environmental science. Even if it's too much to ask for a vegan, we need someone on the left who understands environmental science.

I prefer Bernie, over Hillary, though.
Jek the Immortal likes this.
#24 Old 05-27-2016, 01:23 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil1 View Post

Ray of light? He was sentenced to prison for writing something the government didn't like? Kind of scary. They might not like what you have to say in the future, and what a precedent has been set!

Freedom of speech, no matter how repugnant that speech, is a cornerstone of our rights in the US.
#25 Old 05-27-2016, 02:28 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I heard some clips from comedians on the radio this morning... one of them said, of the upcoming debate between Trump and Sanders, "Two angry New Yorkers yelling at each other... It'll be like the whole country is stuck in a subway car."

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#26 Old 05-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post
I heard some clips from comedians on the radio this morning... one of them said, of the upcoming debate between Trump and Sanders, "Two angry New Yorkers yelling at each other... It'll be like the whole country is stuck in a subway car."
#27 Old 05-28-2016, 01:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
Trump clinched today.
*rolls on the ground, sucking thumb* Mommee

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#28 Old 05-28-2016, 02:35 PM

Wow, we got a lot of Trump haters on here lol...

Being part of a minority in this country, you might think that it's an easy and obvious choice who to vote for, but as much as I dislike bigotry, I can't help but respect the fact that Trump is a man who stands by what he wants. Trump is an unpragmatic simpleton in many things, but he's also candid and brutal in his honesty and I appreciate that.

When Obama visited Saudi Arabia, he was greeted by a governor. The President of the United States visits Saudi Arabia and is greeted by a governor, NOT the crown prince or the king, but some governor. To make it worse, Obama kissed a** the entire time actively trying to placate the Saudi king. That's a slap on the face for us because we are starting to be perceived as weak (which is absolutely terrible on the global stage). You've got to remember that being a superpower is more than just having lots of weapons or a huge army. At the risk of sounding Machiavellian, the perception of power is often more influential than the power itself. If I recall correctly, something similar happened to Obama in China too. This is not good for our image.

Hell, if I was the President and that happened to me, I would have turned around, gotten back on the plane and left. When Trump said the exact same thing, I felt... respect.

I'm not saying that I agree with Trump or that I support him, but I try to weigh all aspects of a person before riling on them. Who will I vote for?... I dunno.

Peace
#29 Old 05-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr32 View Post
Wow, we got a lot of Trump haters on here lol...

Being part of a minority in this country, you might think that it's an easy and obvious choice who to vote for, but as much as I dislike bigotry, I can't help but respect the fact that Trump is a man who stands by what he wants. Trump is an unpragmatic simpleton in many things, but he's also candid and brutal in his honesty and I appreciate that.

When Obama visited Saudi Arabia, he was greeted by a governor. The President of the United States visits Saudi Arabia and is greeted by a governor, NOT the crown prince or the king, but some governor. To make it worse, Obama kissed a** the entire time actively trying to placate the Saudi king. That's a slap on the face for us because we are starting to be perceived as weak (which is absolutely terrible on the global stage). You've got to remember that being a superpower is more than just having lots of weapons or a huge army. At the risk of sounding Machiavellian, the perception of power is often more influential than the power itself. If I recall correctly, something similar happened to Obama in China too. This is not good for our image.

Hell, if I was the President and that happened to me, I would have turned around, gotten back on the plane and left. When Trump said the exact same thing, I felt... respect.

I'm not saying that I agree with Trump or that I support him, but I try to weigh all aspects of a person before riling on them. Who will I vote for?... I dunno.

Peace
Prepare yourself for the piling on...
nr32 likes this.
#30 Old 05-28-2016, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Prepare yourself for the piling on...
That's a pretty passive aggressive statement, don't you think?
TailFin likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page