Forum Jump: 
 102Likes

#61 Old 06-03-2016, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 06-03-2016, 05:24 PM
Veggie Recycler

I think the American people should do everything they can to get him out of the way, but without allowing him to be what he is: an object to generate hatred.

People who rally around him share in their hate and anger towards foreigners and other questionable prejudices, and people who don't want him anywhere near the White House are angry he exists (because he's not only incredibly hateful, but incredibly ignorant).

I had to make a decision to not allow him to be a talisman of hate, while still doing whatever I can. I'm not going to allow him to affect my consciousness anymore.
#63 Old 06-03-2016, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

I don't want it be where it isn't funny anymore...but it's not funny anymore
I'm another one voting against Trump.

But really-- any thoughts on the third party candidates like Gary Johnson or that ... david something the republicans want to put in?
Johnson has quite the following, and I'd think would take votes from both trump and Clinton
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 06-03-2016, 05:34 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
I find it funny how so many people love Trump because he speaks his mind. Yeah, he speaks whatever his mind is thinking at that particular moment. He also says whatever he needs to for his voters and the guy lies about everything. He will literally say anything and does not give a ****. I think it is so ironic that a lot of people could not identify with Mitt Romney because he was wealthy and for some reason blue collar workers like Trump and think he is looking out for them. I don't think Trump became a Billionaire just for being good at Real Estate. I am sure he did whatever he had to do and took advantage of a lot of people on the way and was probably very deceptive his entire career. I think most politicians are out for their own self interests so I expect a lot of them to be less than perfect. The thing about Trump that really scares me is his ego which could get us in a war or at the very least cause major issues with many countries.

I agree with everything you said. The best arguments against Trump aren't ethical because his followers will snake their way around those talking points, but to point out that he plays fast and loose with facts, that he lies or spreads delusional hopes to different audiences, and he's simply extraordinarily ignorant about foreign policy and macroeconomics, and too arrogant or narcissistic to take advising from more knowledgeable sources - evidenced by his recent problems selecting a solid group of advisors for his campaign, even someone as experienced as Hillary Clinton has advisors.
#65 Old 06-03-2016, 05:44 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I don't want it be where it isn't funny anymore...but it's not funny anymore
I'm another one voting against Trump.

But really-- any thoughts on the third party candidates like Gary Johnson or that ... david something the republicans want to put in?
Johnson has quite the following, and I'd think would take votes from both trump and Clinton

It's too risky to play that game in this close of a dangerous election. A vote against Clinton, no matter how ethical or well meaning, could allow Trump to win.

I think the only candidate who could potentially have enough voters to defeat them both is Bernie Sanders.

Hillarys people swear we have to rally around her in order to defeat Trump, but it's obvious to everyone except Clintonites Bernie would be the best candidate for the Democratic party, because so many Independents and some Republicans will vote for Bernie over Hillary. Hillary Clinton only has a lead due to the Democratic establishment, especially because of closed primaries and superdelegates. None of that matters in the general election.
#66 Old 06-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I will vote for Sanders if he runs, and Johnson otherwise. Never in a million years could anyone convince me to vote Trump or Clinton.
Purp likes this.
#67 Old 06-03-2016, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I agree with Thalassa4.
I'm not fond of Clinton, but wouldn't risk a Drumpf presidency in a million years
I hope for the Bern!
Purp and Thalassa4 like this.
#68 Old 06-04-2016, 07:36 AM
Beanitarian

Imagine the Republican elected officials having to support Trump. It must suck to be them.
Quote:
Wouldn't it be crazy if Trump was actually on Hillary's team and is doing this just so she can win? That would be crazy.
I totally believe this. His behavior seems too extreme to be real. Crazy like a fox, I say.

He used to be a Democrat too.

Beanitarian.
#69 Old 06-04-2016, 07:49 AM
Veggie Regular

You can say what you like about Trump but he is definitely very smart when it comes to manipulating. It is a little odd how he is currently running his campaign. All the crazy stuff he was saying before really helped him with his supporters. Now that he is gearing up for the general election it is very odd that he has not toned it down and actually has increased his rhetoric. It sort of makes me wonder if he is now trying to lose or maybe he just has such a big ego that he can't help himself. I don't like Clinton but at least you know what you are getting with her. Trump is a wild card and scares the crap out of me. The President does not have that much power with out Congress but this guy sure could hurt us with what he says and how he acts.
Thalassa4 likes this.
#70 Old 06-04-2016, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

He seems to have the same sociopathic craziness of the likes of Bernie Madoff, Charles Mansion, and Hitler....Yeah, I went there

Remember how Rick Perrys run was lost after forgetting the third gov agency he'd change?
How Howard Dean was done after his mic made him sound crazy when listing states he won?

Trump goes up and states he could shoot a man in Times Square and still wouldn't lose followers. That's frightening
I'm far more frightened of his brain dead followers than Trump
#71 Old 06-04-2016, 08:18 AM
Super Moderator

He seems to have the same sociopathic craziness of the likes of Bernie Madoff, Charles Mansion, and Hitler....Yeah, I went there

Remember how Rick Perrys run was lost after forgetting the third gov agency he'd change?
How Howard Dean was done after his mic made him sound crazy when listing states he won?

Trump goes up and states he could shoot a man in Times Square and still wouldn't lose followers. That's frightening
I'm far more frightened of his brain dead followers than Trump
#72 Old 06-04-2016, 09:03 AM

Quote:
I find it funny how so many people love Trump because he speaks his mind. Yeah, he speaks whatever his mind is thinking at that particular moment. He also says whatever he needs to for his voters and the guy lies about everything. He will literally say anything and does not give a ****.
According to the polls, a lot of people love him. However asinine you think building a giant wall or deporting illegal aliens or blanket banning muslims etc. may be, these are candid and brutal expressions of his truth. Does that make him noble or correct? Of course not. That was never the argument. Again: "... as much as I dislike bigotry, I can't help but respect the fact that Trump is a man who stands by what he wants. Trump is an unpragmatic simpleton in many things, but he's also candid and brutal in his honesty and I appreciate that."

It is incredible how the man polarizes an entire nation like that.

Quote:
I think it is so ironic that a lot of people could not identify with Mitt Romney because he was wealthy and for some reason blue collar workers like Trump and think he is looking out for them.
It's not that simple. Romney's public speaking skills were deplorable. Worst of all, he lacked backbone. What kind of self-respecting man will perma-smile when insults are thrown at him? It was pathetic. He could never connect with the people because he was too extreme on some issues, even for the conservatives who were backing him up.

Quote:
I am sure he did whatever he had to do and took advantage of a lot of people on the way and was probably very deceptive his entire career.
I'm sure as well. You may have heard of the Vera Coking incident, where Trump tried to use eminent domain after Coking refused an offer for $1 million for her property. The man goes to extreme lengths to get what he wants. He will rip people apart, however unethical it may seem. Does that offend you?

Quote:
The thing about Trump that really scares me is his ego which could get us in a war or at the very least cause major issues with many countries.
Just because it scares you doesn't make it true.
#73 Old 06-04-2016, 11:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
Hillarys people swear we have to rally around her in order to defeat Trump, but it's obvious to everyone except Clintonites Bernie would be the best candidate for the Democratic party, because so many Independents and some Republicans will vote for Bernie over Hillary.
That's certainly what the Sanders followers believe. There aren't any actual facts to support that belief, though.

Hillary has, to date, won approximately three million more votes than Bernie, and that's with unrelenting attacks on her ever for decades. In the meantime, everyone has bee careful to not say anything negative about Bernie*; the Clinton campaign because they need to woo the Sanders supporters once he's out of the picture, and the Republicans because they want Sanders to be as strong as possible for as long as possible in order to weaken the Clinton campaign.

*And there is plenty of negative to say about Bernie; just as much as about Hillary.
#74 Old 06-04-2016, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I have not figured out how to use the quotes. nr32 some of what you said I agree with and some I don't and that is totally cool. Your comment about being scared of something and not making it true is a very odd comment. People are scared of a lot of things and that is a feeling. If I am scared of spiders does it make it true? Makes no sense to me at all.
#75 Old 06-04-2016, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

#76 Old 06-04-2016, 10:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Donald Trump has paid men on his campaign staff one-third more than women, while Hillary Clinton has compensated men and women equally, according to a Globe analysis of payroll data for both campaigns.

Trump’s campaign staff is also far less diverse than that of his likely Democratic opponent. Only about 9 percent of his team are minorities, compared with nearly a third of Clinton’s staff.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/pol...5dO/story.html
#77 Old 06-07-2016, 09:57 PM
Veggie Regular

For those who don't understand why Trump's campaign rhetoric against the judge hearing one of the cases against Trump University is such a big deal, this piece does a good job of explaining it: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/07/op...pgtype=article
#78 Old 06-07-2016, 11:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
My worldwide search for Trump supporters leads me to one conclusion: In the U.S., Trump supporters may want to make America great again. But when it comes to the rest of the world, the people rooting for America are not cheering for Trump.
And the people cheering for Trump are not rooting for America.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/25/opinio...oter_expansion
#79 Old 06-08-2016, 03:08 AM

i am not American but now you see how many of your American friends are racist on your facebook..
TailFin likes this.
#80 Old 06-08-2016, 03:13 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Shall we post opinion pieces on Hillary, as well?
#81 Old 06-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Shall we post opinion pieces on Hillary, as well?
Considering the thread's title, you should probably start a new thread for that purpose.
#82 Old 06-10-2016, 08:00 AM

Quote:
I have not figured out how to use the quotes. nr32 some of what you said I agree with and some I don't and that is totally cool. Your comment about being scared of something and not making it true is a very odd comment. People are scared of a lot of things and that is a feeling. If I am scared of spiders does it make it true? Makes no sense to me at all.
ocrob37, the comment was regarding being "afraid" of what Trump might cause and how that fear does not always translate to reality.
#83 Old 06-10-2016, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't deny that it is possible for him to become president and do a great job. I just find it highly unlikely and the dude scares me.
#84 Old 06-10-2016, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nr32 View Post
When Obama visited Saudi Arabia, he was greeted by a governor. The President of the United States visits Saudi Arabia and is greeted by a governor, NOT the crown prince or the king, but some governor. To make it worse, Obama kissed a** the entire time actively trying to placate the Saudi king. That's a slap on the face for us because we are starting to be perceived as weak (which is absolutely terrible on the global stage). You've got to remember that being a superpower is more than just having lots of weapons or a huge army. At the risk of sounding Machiavellian, the perception of power is often more influential than the power itself. If I recall correctly, something similar happened to Obama in China too. This is not good for our image.
When a foreign head of state visits the United States, the President might or might not meet with the individual, by appointment, at the White House, the President's own turf, during that head of state's visit. Depending on why the person is in our country. But our President would not normally, if ever, go to the airport to meet that person's plane and be that person's "greeter." The President has people for that. You want to meet with the President, you go to the President, not the other way around. The President might throw you a state dinner, but again, it depends on why you're here and whether your intent is more aligned with the President's party or the opposing party. Obama did not hold a state dinner, for example, or even meet with, Benjamin Netanyahu when House and Senate Republicans invited Netanyahu to come here to address Congress.

Trump doesn't know what he doesn't know about protocol. Protocol doesn't mandate heads of countries kissing up to heads of larger countries by riding to airports to meet their planes. It would be unseemly to expect that. Trump would probably expect that.
Beautiful Joe likes this.

Last edited by Joan Kennedy; 06-10-2016 at 01:43 PM.
#85 Old 06-10-2016, 03:03 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy View Post
When a foreign head of state visits the United States, the President might or might not meet with the individual, by appointment, at the White House, the President's own turf, during that head of state's visit. Depending on why the person is in our country. But our President would not normally, if ever, go to the airport to meet that person's plane and be that person's "greeter." The President has people for that. You want to meet with the President, you go to the President, not the other way around. The President might throw you a state dinner, but again, it depends on why you're here and whether your intent is more aligned with the President's party or the opposing party. Obama did not hold a state dinner, for example, or even meet with, Benjamin Netanyahu when House and Senate Republicans invited Netanyahu to come here to address Congress.

Trump doesn't know what he doesn't know about protocol. Protocol doesn't mandate heads of countries kissing up to heads of larger countries by riding to airports to meet their planes. It would be unseemly to expect that. Trump would probably expect that.
http://www.people.com/people/mobile/...951454,00.html
Joan Kennedy likes this.
#86 Old 06-10-2016, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
As I said, it doesn't normally go that way. As the article notes, it's a somewhat rare move. Pope Francis is Elvis in the Flesh.
LedBoots likes this.
#87 Old 06-10-2016, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

It's almost worth voting for Trump, to be able to see him flying out of country after country in a huff, w/o ever leaving the airplane.
Joan Kennedy likes this.
#88 Old 06-10-2016, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd hate to be the one who had to explain to a President Trump, over and over, why it's not the way he thought it would be.
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#89 Old 06-10-2016, 05:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Romney, today:

Quote:
The 2012 Republican nominee, who has openly opposed Trump's candidacy, went further than he has before in outlining to CNN's Wolf Blitzer how the country's character would suffer in a Trump White House. Trump's rhetoric has caused even some other Republicans to label him a racist, and Romney said he would not be able to paper over his incendiary remarks.

"I don't want to see trickle-down racism," Romney said in an interview here in a suite overlooking the Wasatch Mountains, where he is hosting his yearly ideas conference. "I don't want to see a president of the United States saying things which change the character of the generations of Americans that are following. Presidents have an impact on the nature of our nation, and trickle-down racism, trickle-down bigotry, trickle-down misogyny, all these things are extraordinarily dangerous to the heart and character of America."

Romney, who actively sought to recruit an independent, third-party challenger to Trump, also conceded that a credible candidate will not emerge. But he did show a new openness to one non-Trump candidate, libertarian Gary Johnson, whom he did not rule out voting for.
http://www.cnn.com/2016/06/10/politi...ism/index.html
#90 Old 06-10-2016, 08:19 PM

Lol. I couldn't help but facepalm.

Seriously. I'm laughing.

Let's talk protocol, shall we?

When Obama bowed to the Saudi king, some people were furious, incorrectly viewing the action as subservience. However, it was not -- it was protocol -- common courtesy given according to appropriate customs. It's expected that one gives respect where respect is due.

However, it was not "protocol" to insult a POTUS with a greeting by a governor. Mustafa Alani, a security analyst at the Gulf Research Center, said that the Saudi decision not to send high-level delegation to the president was unusual and intended to send a clear message that they had little faith in him.

On the flip side, a POTUS not greeting a head of state isn't intended to be an insult. It's the intentions. We have people to greet visitors -- it's how we do things. It is our custom. But the event at Riyadh wasn't "protocol." It was intended to insult.

Respect should be given where respect is due. Their action was an insult and should be viewed as such. If you're not upset by that, I honestly have nothing else to say to you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page