VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Compost Heap (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/)
-   -   Election 2016 (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/206073-election-2016-a.html)

Necter 03-25-2016 11:37 AM

Election 2016

What are other vegans perspective on the elections?

LedBoots 03-25-2016 01:37 PM

Dave in MPLS 03-25-2016 05:38 PM

I'm getting a lot of schadenfreude (enjoyment at the misfortune of another) from the circus the GOP is putting on. At the same time, it stinks. I definitely disagree with that side on a great many very fundamental things, but I value advocates on that side that are at least functioning on the same plane of reality as I do.

Jasminedesi16 03-28-2016 12:55 PM

Feel the Bern!

Necter 03-29-2016 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 (Post 3941233)
Feel the Bern!

Yes, Bernie Sanders will have my vote. As a vegan, he is the only candidate I could see possibly becoming a vegan himself, given his liberal and progressive views.

cherries 03-29-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Necter (Post 3941761)
Yes, Bernie Sanders will have my vote. As a vegan, he is the only candidate I could see possibly becoming a vegan himself, given his liberal and progressive views.

He has my vote.

tanyae47 03-29-2016 08:59 PM

Yes, Bernie Sanders seems like such a nice, real guy in general and like someone you'd like to meet and be friends with.

peacefulveglady 04-06-2016 04:07 PM

As long as Trump don't get in i can care less....

Beancounter 04-08-2016 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peacefulveglady (Post 3945281)
As long as Trump don't get in i can care less....

I feel the same way about Cruz. I think he's far more dangerous.

peacefulveglady 04-08-2016 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beancounter (Post 3946513)
I feel the same way about Cruz. I think he's far more dangerous.

i used to not like Cruz either , i was hoping Rubio would of stayed in , i know there are issues with him at least he had better ideas.

Dave in MPLS 04-09-2016 10:17 AM

Random thoughts:

'Momentum' is something people talk about, but it doesn't seem to be a huge factor this cycle.

Bernie has been winning caucus states handily. I fully expect him to win today's Wyoming caucus. Here's the bad news from here on in: there are two more caucus states after today. Otherwise it's primaries, several of them closed (registered Democrats only, no independents or crossover voters). I predict that when all the states have weighed in, Clinton will be ahead of Sanders even if you take superdelegates off the table (she is now and that is unlikely to change). If you award a states superdelegates based on who won the state, Clinton is still winning.

Not to demoralize anyone, I'm just not sure the messaging we hear matches the math.

Beets&Beats 04-09-2016 12:56 PM

As an Australian, I'm watching baffled.

It's amazing that Trump has come so far and I assume he won't actually ever be elected but I'm simultaneously aware that's what I thought about Abbott here, as the result of being surrounded by rational, leftie people and feeling like 'everyone was voting the other way' but forgetting there are a LOT of other sorts of people out there and my sort is perhaps a slight minority...
I hope I'm not underestimating how many Trump supporters there are in a similar way!

But if Trump DOES get elected, perhaps things will go how they did here with Abbott. Ie. People elect him based on ideals and frustration and fear etc. but when he's actually in he's so terrible that even they come 'round and you end up with a far more united country in the end. United against that sort of approach. Yep... :serious:

Thalassa4 04-09-2016 05:10 PM

I know Bernie Sanders is not a vegetarian but he is definitely the best in terms of environmental issues, which of course impact animals as well as humans - I think all of the conservative candidates unfortunately are unreasonably and irrationally opposed to environmental science, but Trump is the worst - he endorses McDonald's hamburgers, his daughter has been called out for imported rabbit fur and his son killed off-limits species in Africa - as a whole their family seems so hedonistic and narcissistic that it goes beyond even typical neoconservative bs (I think more highly of paleoconservatives, but none are running as a major candidate so that's a discussion for another day).