Predicting support for Trump - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

#1 Old 02-03-2016, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Predicting support for Trump

Quote:
One of the reasons that Donald Trump has flummoxed pollsters and political analysts is that his supporters seem to have nothing in common. He appeals to evangelical and secular voters, conservative and moderate Republicans, independents and even some Democrats. Many of his supporters are white and don't have a college degree, but he also does well with some highly educated voters, too.

What's bringing all these different people together, new research shows, is a shared type of personality — a personality that in many ways has nothing to do with politics. Indeed, it turns out that your views on raising children better predict whether you support Trump than just about anything else about you....

When it comes to politics, authoritarians tend to prefer clarity and unity to ambiguity and difference. They're amenable to restricting the rights of foreigners, members of a political party in the minority and anyone whose culture or lifestyle deviates from their own community's.

"For authoritarians, things are black and white," MacWilliams said. "Authoritarians obey."
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...entrandom_1_na
no whey jose likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-08-2016, 10:32 PM
Riot Nrrrd

The attraction to authoritarians is strong in broader GOP as well. Witness the schoolgirl crush they seem to have on Putin.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#3 Old 02-09-2016, 01:15 AM
Impeach the gangster

Some people want quick, easy answers, and will exchange the freedom of others- and even their own freedom- to avoid being truly involved. They willingly don blinders, and will follow whatever path offers the least resistance to their current state of affairs.
Tom, Purp, janetc and 1 others like this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-09-2016, 11:33 AM
Oryzatarian

The greatest flaw in the american political psyche is the doctrine of lesser-evilism. People allow themselves to be convinced that they must vote for someone "with a chance of winning" even if the person is clearly not made of the proper stuff to be a truly good president.
This is what will get Trump the majority of his votes, a value judgement that he is somehow less evil than the other major party candidates.
In my philosophy, willfully supporting 'evil' is a bad thing.

My system for voting is radically simple and quite effective.
First, I ignore politics until I get my ballot. 95% Of the political drama is just entertainment anyway and I would rather read a book, all that bickering and shouting on TV is just stressful.
When I do get my ballot I investigate every candidate one at a time. I systematically rule out anyone who is most likely a bigot, corrupt, incompetent, an overt fool, or an obvious liar. Ruling someone out is irreversible. If anyone is left I vote for them, even if they may only get 0.01% of the votes. If no one is left (very common in races like senator and governor) I do a write in vote for 'none of the above'. Thats allowed.

The political parties expect voters to be sheep, imagine how shocked and embarrassed they would be if even 1% of people voted for none of the above [in the US 1% is enough to swing most elections]

...yes, I got the idea from the movie 'Brewsters Millions'
Tom, LedBoots and Spudulika like this.
#5 Old 02-09-2016, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
The greatest flaw in the american political psyche is the doctrine of lesser-evilism. People allow themselves to be convinced that they must vote for someone "with a chance of winning" even if the person is clearly not made of the proper stuff to be a truly good president.
This is what will get Trump the majority of his votes, a value judgement that he is somehow less evil than the other major party candidates.
In my philosophy, willfully supporting 'evil' is a bad thing.

My system for voting is radically simple and quite effective.
First, I ignore politics until I get my ballot. 95% Of the political drama is just entertainment anyway and I would rather read a book, all that bickering and shouting on TV is just stressful.
When I do get my ballot I investigate every candidate one at a time. I systematically rule out anyone who is most likely a bigot, corrupt, incompetent, an overt fool, or an obvious liar. Ruling someone out is irreversible. If anyone is left I vote for them, even if they may only get 0.01% of the votes. If no one is left (very common in races like senator and governor) I do a write in vote for 'none of the above'. Thats allowed.

The political parties expect voters to be sheep, imagine how shocked and embarrassed they would be if even 1% of people voted for none of the above [in the US 1% is enough to swing most elections]

...yes, I got the idea from the movie 'Brewsters Millions'
I kind of hope you're kidding on voting none of the above... Good in a movie, not so much in real life.

If you choose not to vote, which you do by voting "none of the above", you've essentially given up your right to vote. Yes, it's allowed, but why do it when you could actively vote for someone you do believe would be a good leader?

You are part of the electorate. Your vote counts, whether it's to one of the major political parties or someone that you've independently researched and vote for as a write-in. Research candidates, and vote for the person you want to lead the country now and in the future.

If you don't spend any significant time researching candidates, you're just as bad as those you claim are sheep by essentially acquiescing your vote to the masses.
Purp, Beautiful Joe and Thalassa4 like this.
#6 Old 02-09-2016, 12:13 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TailFin View Post
I kind of hope you're kidding on voting none of the above... Good in a movie, not so much in real life.

If you choose not to vote, which you do by voting "none of the above", you've essentially given up your right to vote. Yes, it's allowed, but why do it when you could actively vote for someone you do believe would be a good leader?

You are part of the electorate. Your vote counts, whether it's to one of the major political parties or someone that you've independently researched and vote for as a write-in. Research candidates, and vote for the person you want to lead the country now and in the future.

If you don't spend any significant time researching candidates, you're just as bad as those you claim are sheep by essentially acquiescing your vote to the masses.
I will not cast my vote for a candidate who I deem the lesser of two evils. I vote for who I think will be best, whatever chance he may or may not have in the election. I have voted third party a few times. My dad wrote in Donald Duck in the Nixon/Humphrey election of 1968.
Tom, Purp, TailFin and 1 others like this.
#7 Old 02-09-2016, 12:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I will not cast my vote for a candidate who I deem the lesser of two evils. I vote for who I think will be best, whatever chance he may or may not have in the election. I have voted third party a few times. My dad wrote in Donald Duck in the Nixon/Humphrey election of 1968.
I agree -- I will not vote for someone just because they're the lesser of two evils. That said, we're given the opportunity to write-in a vote. So, I will write-in someone I deem acceptable to my beliefs. Throwing away a vote is very wasteful.
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 02-09-2016, 01:22 PM
Oryzatarian

'None of the above' is not a throw away vote. It is counted.
In some countries, such as Brazil, whole presidential elections had to be re-done with new candidates when 'none of the above' got the majority vote. That really happened.
If there is a candidate I think would be a good leader I will vote for them, I said that. If no one is ethically or technically qualified I will cast my vote... I'll cast it for a new selection of candidates.
In my country voting is not mandatory. Not voting or voting for Luke Skywalker would be a throw away vote. Voting for a better choice is not.
Purp, LedBoots and Spudulika like this.
#9 Old 02-09-2016, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

I have never seen 'none of the above'!

With rump supporters it's like wanting to live vicariously through him. Just spouting out what ever on their minds without any filter. I pity the republicans who want to vote mainstream, with cruz, rubio and rump ruling the polls
Purp, Spudulika and no whey jose like this.
#10 Old 02-09-2016, 04:37 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
'None of the above' is not a throw away vote. It is counted.
In some countries, such as Brazil, whole presidential elections had to be re-done with new candidates when 'none of the above' got the majority vote. That really happened.
If there is a candidate I think would be a good leader I will vote for them, I said that. If no one is ethically or technically qualified I will cast my vote... I'll cast it for a new selection of candidates.
In my country voting is not mandatory. Not voting or voting for Luke Skywalker would be a throw away vote. Voting for a better choice is not.
Deez Nutz was polling well for awhile there....
Purp likes this.
#11 Old 02-09-2016, 08:26 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I have never seen 'none of the above'!
You can do it as a write-in. I've always voted absentee so I could vote for legitimate candidates my state wont allow on the ballot, as well as none of the above.
Purp and Spudulika like this.
#12 Old 02-09-2016, 11:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I think voting for none of the above is a great idea. Removing those that throw away scientific evidence and reason from power can only be a good thing.
Spudulika likes this.
#13 Old 02-10-2016, 01:27 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I'm not sure many of Trump's supporters see him as the 'lesser evil', but rather as the 'greater good'. They pretty much ignore the bits that would be 'evil' from their POV (and there are many - he's conservative by convenience rather than conscience).

---------
Spudulika likes this.

#14 Old 02-10-2016, 01:41 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
I'm not sure many of Trump's supporters see him as the 'lesser evil', but rather as the 'greater good'. They pretty much ignore the bits that would be 'evil' from their POV (and there are many - he's conservative by convenience rather than conscience).

---------
I'm no Trump supporter, but it seems to me that his views have remained fairly consistent since the '80s, except maybe on abortion.
#15 Old 02-11-2016, 04:54 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
it seems to me that his views have remained fairly consistent since the '80s,
It's not a flip-flop thing I'm thinking of. Bush, Cruz, and Rubio all attack Trump's claimed conservatism based on views he's expressed or defended recently. At the most recent debate Bush and Trump banged heads over eminent domain. That conflict amuses me. Neither is credible on it from a conservative POV. Nobody notices because the entire conservative universe has selective blindness so they can support the pipeline.

#16 Old 02-17-2016, 10:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Personally, I'm thinking my cat would make a better president then any of the people currently running. Whether that's a statement about me, the candidates, or my cat I'm not sure...

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#17 Old 02-25-2016, 08:29 PM
Beginner

I just amused myself for about 5 minutes by googling
Donald Trump cat
Bernie Sanders cat
Hillary Clinton cat

Ted Cruz cat may give me nightmares
#18 Old 02-27-2016, 09:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsmokey View Post
I just amused myself for about 5 minutes by googling
Donald Trump cat
Bernie Sanders cat
Hillary Clinton cat

Ted Cruz cat may give me nightmares
AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just realized how to get people to not vote for (T)Rump. Tell them all the illegal aliens who work in slaughterhouses will be deported, and they will have to kill their own animals.
Spudulika likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#19 Old 02-27-2016, 10:36 PM

Not to mention there are latinos supporting him in some states, like this unfortunate lady
#20 Old 02-28-2016, 03:10 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
I just realized how to get people to not vote for (T)Rump. Tell them all the illegal aliens who work in slaughterhouses will be deported,
Which brings up an issue that doesn't get discussed as much as it should. Big Ag relies to an extent on an exploitable workforce to fill low paying backbreaking positions. Mass deportation schemes exacerbate the problems associated with this by increasing the power of the exploiters to "rule by fear".
Purp likes this.

#21 Old 02-28-2016, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

He is so so scary. I'm supporting Bernie but if Hillary is the nominee I will vote for her just to keep Trump and the republicans out. If Trump wins I am legitimately thinking of moving to Canada or the UK.
Purp, Naturebound and Thalassa4 like this.
#22 Old 02-28-2016, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I have to listen to a coworker who sits in the cubicle across from me talk about how great Trump is every day. Ugh. I made the mistake of complaining about him and she really went off lol. Now she makes sure I hear her every day. More and more I am thinking about working from home. If only I could get internet access in a forest cave near Canada. :/
Purp and Beautiful Joe like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#23 Old 03-01-2016, 02:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I have to listen to a coworker who sits in the cubicle across from me talk about how great Trump is every day. Ugh. I made the mistake of complaining about him and she really went off lol. Now she makes sure I hear her every day. More and more I am thinking about working from home. If only I could get internet access in a forest cave near Canada. :/
You just frightened the holy ootchclaw out of me with that comment. My kind, friendly advice is to stuff a beet into her mouth when she starts up about how "great" he is...
Naturebound likes this.

#24 Old 03-01-2016, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

Anyone else just wish Obama could serve another term?
I think that should be an option.
Where are the third party candidates? Don't we usually hear something about them by now? Or has the circus been too entertaining?
Purp and Beautiful Joe like this.
#25 Old 03-01-2016, 04:30 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Where are the third party candidates? Don't we usually hear something about them by now? Or has the circus been too entertaining?
I disagree that it should be an option. I also think there should be term limits for congress. American politics wasn't meant to be a lifetime career.
#26 Old 03-01-2016, 04:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I disagree that it should be an option. I also think there should be term limits for congress. American politics wasn't meant to be a lifetime career.
well I wan't exactly serious , however, this is turning into more of a reality show than anything as serious as candidates for president. I like Bernie, but I do see how polarizing he is, and am really looking for someone besides the popular ones
I think I will miss Obama when this is all over
Heck, if it's any Republican I'll even miss W! (not serious, but maybe I am...)
Purp likes this.
#27 Old 03-01-2016, 04:40 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
well I wan't exactly serious , however, this is turning into more of a reality show than anything as serious as candidates for president. I like Bernie, but I do see how polarizing he is, and am really looking for someone besides the popular ones
I think I will miss Obama when this is all over
#28 Old 03-01-2016, 10:07 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
If you ignore the influence of Cheney and the other neocons W looks a wee bit better than he does when you include decisions he made at their behest. That doesn't absolve him of responsibility for the decisions he made, though.
Purp likes this.

#29 Old 03-01-2016, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Thumbs down

Quote:

#30 Old 03-01-2016, 10:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
No on Obama.

Gary Johnson is running on the libertarian ticket. But of course the media won't give him the time of day. I guess he's not enough of a freak to join the freak show they like to cover.
Purp and Naturebound like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page