Predicting support for Trump - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 79Likes

#31 Old 03-02-2016, 05:12 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
Gary Johnson is running on the libertarian ticket
I was thinking this might be a good year for him, if Rand Paul would throw a little love his way. The Republicans are worried about downticket races (mainly the Senate) if Trunp gets the nomination. Promoting Johnson as the preferred 3rd party candidate would give Republicans a reason to show up at the polls. A protest vote at the top of the ticket does some good, sitting the day out or writing in someone who's not actually running doesn't.

Wait ... I don't play for that team. Never mind

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 03-02-2016, 05:57 PM
Beginner

This election is bizarre. In the news feeds the GOP is trying to undermine Trump because he isn't conservative enough and the Democrats are demonizing Trump because he's Ultra conservative (racist, bigoted, sexist, etc..).

Last night I was watching C-SPAN and democrats were calling in saying if Bernie lost to Hillary they were voting for Trump and republicans said if Rubio or Cruz didn't win they were voting for Hillary.

Everything is upside-down and inside-out.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
#33 Old 03-02-2016, 06:04 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I am just flabbergasted at this utter mess. Unbelievable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 03-02-2016, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I am just flabbergasted at this utter mess. Unbelievable.
Exactly!
Purp and LedBoots like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#35 Old 03-02-2016, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm also trying to picture Bill Clinton back in the white house again as "the first gentleman" if Hillary should win lol. She'll have to lock him out of the oval office. It is all so bizarre.

I am sick every time I even think about Trump as a world leader. Just sick....
Purp, LedBoots and Beautiful Joe like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#36 Old 03-02-2016, 06:43 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Anyone else just wish Obama could serve another term?
I think that should be an option.
Where are the third party candidates? Don't we usually hear something about them by now? Or has the circus been too entertaining?
No absolutely not. Obama supports TPP I'm very disappointed in him.
#37 Old 03-02-2016, 06:44 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I'm also trying to picture Bill Clinton back in the white house again as "the first gentleman" if Hillary should win lol. She'll have to lock him out of the oval office. It is all so bizarre.

I am sick every time I even think about Trump as a world leader. Just sick....
Maybe this will cheer you up

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...rutal-minutes/
#38 Old 03-02-2016, 06:53 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasminedesi16 View Post
He is so so scary. I'm supporting Bernie but if Hillary is the nominee I will vote for her just to keep Trump and the republicans out. If Trump wins I am legitimately thinking of moving to Canada or the UK.
I'm also a Bernie supporter, and do note that some Republicans support Bernie as a better alternative to either Trump or Clinton, so Bernie may actually win. I honestly don't think Clintons success in the deep South means as much as some people think it does, because those states tend to turn Red in general elections, and voters in that region have a very different mentality (I'm not being judgmental, I'm originally from the South and my family was for generations, it's the freaking Twilight Zone compared to major metropolitan areas, and seems almost like it's own country).

If Trump is the Republican against Hillary and Bernie completely withdraws, is the only circumstance under which I'd vote for Her Majesty. Otherwise I'm still voting for Bernie, or Jill Stein - the Green Party candidate.
Purp and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#39 Old 03-02-2016, 09:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post
I'm also a Bernie supporter, and do note that some Republicans support Bernie as a better alternative to either Trump or Clinton, so Bernie may actually win. I honestly don't think Clintons success in the deep South means as much as some people think it does, because those states tend to turn Red in general elections, and voters in that region have a very different mentality (I'm not being judgmental, I'm originally from the South and my family was for generations, it's the freaking Twilight Zone compared to major metropolitan areas, and seems almost like it's own country).

If Trump is the Republican against Hillary and Bernie completely withdraws, is the only circumstance under which I'd vote for Her Majesty. Otherwise I'm still voting for Bernie, or Jill Stein - the Green Party candidate.
How about my cat, Basil? Think he'd be a good president?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Meet up and China Gifts 001.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	149.7 KB
ID:	13857  
LedBoots and Thalassa4 like this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#40 Old 03-02-2016, 09:41 PM
Veggie Recycler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
I'm all for President Basil....you know there's a mayor of some town in Alaska or Canada that's a cat.
Purp likes this.
#41 Old 03-03-2016, 04:10 AM

President Basil sure seems like a nice idea

However, imagining the other guy at the trigger of the most powerful army in the world and its nuclear arsenal, well... I'm just glad I have got a few thousand miles of ocean between him and me.
Purp and Beautiful Joe like this.
#42 Old 03-03-2016, 07:57 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purp View Post
Basil for President! Hope and Catnip!
Purp, Thalassa4 and Phil1 like this.
#43 Old 03-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Riot Nrrrd

When it's 3 AM and there's a red dot jittering on the wall, who do YOU want to take that call?
Purp and Thalassa4 like this.

#44 Old 03-07-2016, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thalassa4 View Post

I really hope he wins, I want to vote for him but my primary is in late April and I'm scared he will pull out before then and I really hope not I will vote for Hillary in the general if she wins the nom. because I do not like republicans at all, if one gets in, it is likely Republicans will also control congress and they may have two picks for supreme court. That would be a nightmare. I think Bernie has the best chance at beating Trump, people are super excited for Bernie and his message resonates with so many people.
Purp and Thalassa4 like this.
#45 Old 03-08-2016, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

My presidential candidate needs four things from me before I will support him/her. 1. Must be smart. 2. Must get things done. 3. Must have the mentality of a mature adult, not a whiny, bullying 8-year-old, and 4. Must not give me the heebie~jeebies. So far, my cat is winning all in all those categories.
LedBoots likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#46 Old 03-13-2016, 06:33 PM
Super Moderator

I'm scared. Really scared. Not only did I listen to Sunday news shows, I went online to news.
What's more disturbing than comments on vegans? Comments from Trump supporters! The racism, the violence, the hubris, the supremicy--it's all very, very real, and I'm afraid it'd not going to go away after the election regardless of who wins.
I've always tried to listen to right wing talk radio to try and understand those people. I'm referring to the reasonable one's - not the crazies who support Trump. Now, those republicans are even willing to back him just out of spite, and/or fear of a more liberal nation.
So very wrong, so very narrow minded and narcissistic!
To make it worse, the other candidates still pledge to vote for him if he's the candidate. Like the enemy of your enemy must be their friend.
Will Canada take me? Should I go now before they build a wall?
Purp and Beautiful Joe like this.
#47 Old 03-13-2016, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I'm scared. Really scared. Not only did I listen to Sunday news shows, I went online to news.
What's more disturbing than comments on vegans? Comments from Trump supporters! The racism, the violence, the hubris, the supremicy--it's all very, very real, and I'm afraid it'd not going to go away after the election regardless of who wins.
I've always tried to listen to right wing talk radio to try and understand those people. I'm referring to the reasonable one's - not the crazies who support Trump. Now, those republicans are even willing to back him just out of spite, and/or fear of a more liberal nation.
So very wrong, so very narrow minded and narcissistic!
To make it worse, the other candidates still pledge to vote for him if he's the candidate. Like the enemy of your enemy must be their friend.
Will Canada take me? Should I go now before they build a wall?
If it makes you feel better, I'm scared, too. I've got nieces and nephews under voting age, and a grand niece also under voting age. I try to be understanding of people who...uh, for lack of a better phrase, don't think like I do. I try to keep an open mind, but, when your world is as small as I am, people who do things like this frighten me badly.

EDIT to Add: I'm afraid moving to Canada won't solve the problem. We (the United States) have our election on Tuesday, 8 November 2016. Thanksgiving comes shortly after that, then Christmas and New Year's. I'm afraid in mid-late January or February, (T)Rump will get bored and decide to annihilate Canada or something like that. I wouldn't put it past him.

Last edited by Purp; 03-13-2016 at 10:17 PM.
#48 Old 03-14-2016, 02:07 AM
Beginner

Fears of Trump being elected are somewhat exaggerated in my opinion.

Let's suppose he gets elected and the house and the senate remain under GOP control. I think everyone opposed to Trump would agree this would be the worst case scenario.

What sort of relationship would Trump have with a Republican congress?
Look at the GOP establishment right now with Obama and you have your answer.
Trump has virtually no allies in the house or senate in positions of power where Obama at least had a brief majority in the senate to work with and a fairly loyal minority for 6 years or so. Trump has no meaningful support in either party.

This doesn't mean he is totally powerless, but it hardly accounts for the doom and gloom predictions floating around the internet. Most of what you're reading is hyperbolic propaganda designed to gin up voter support for opposition candidates.

A Trump administration will have a most difficult time maneuvering through the Washington establishment in search of consensus on even the most mundane legislation -more so when it comes to manipulating the executive levers of power within the confines of the constitution.

I realize Americans are quick to assume the executive is imbued with great power, and they are right, to a point. The POTUS's power is regularly checked by the other two branches and I suspect this will be doubly so with a Trump administration.

Again, in my opinion, the problem is not Trump, but the idea that enough Americans feel so disaffected that they would be willing to elect Trump -with enthusiasm. That is worrisome.

What does it say about the current order within both parties that so many Americans see themselves abandoned and unrepresented. Insulting them only increases their number and reinforces their belief.
Dave in MPLS and Purp like this.

The symbol of the race ought to be a human being carrying an ax, for every human being has one concealed about him somewhere, and is always seeking the opportunity to grind it.
- Mark Twain, a Biography
#49 Old 03-14-2016, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

It isn't Rump that scares me it's his followers.
Purp, Beautiful Joe and Phil1 like this.
#50 Old 03-14-2016, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipps View Post
Again, in my opinion, the problem is not Trump, but the idea that enough Americans feel so disaffected that they would be willing to elect Trump -with enthusiasm. That is worrisome.
This.
Purp likes this.
#51 Old 03-14-2016, 01:06 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
my primary is in late April and I'm scared he will pull out before then
I'd be really surprised if he did. His path to the nomination looks tougher than Hillary's, but as long as he stays in the race he's a credible threat. And he's winning the messaging primary. Hillary is emphasizing areas she has in common with Bernie much more than Bernie is adopting Hillary's narratives.

I agree with voting blue, no matter who, at least with these candidates.

Quote:
A Trump administration will have a most difficult time maneuvering through the Washington establishment in search of consensus on even the most mundane legislation -more so when it comes to manipulating the executive levers of power within the confines of the constitution.
Very solid observation. It also applies to some extent to Ted Cruz. We shouldn't underestimate the amount of damage they could do, but their power wouldn't be absolute.
Purp likes this.

#52 Old 05-04-2016, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I just came across this post and it is very interesting. I thought I was fairly educated on our democratic system and have recently learned so much that I did not know. People like to think their vote counts and sometimes it does not. Our delegate system is really whacky. I guess in some states your vote can count and in others it does not. I was sort of interested to see if the republicans would have a contested election. So crazy that the front runner could have lost and someone else could have been nominated. It seems the nomination is all about the party and not the voter. I think the general is a little different.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page