• 2 Post By cherries
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By Purp
  • 1 Post By jocelyn3113

#1 Old 12-31-2015, 10:36 PM
Beginner

Happy 2016

Happy new year everyone!
Did anyone do anything fun? A couple of friends came down and we ordered pizza played video games and watched movies. They are all pleasantly drunk I am sick as a dog though so just sprite for me tonight...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-31-2015, 11:09 PM
Vegan since 1991

My wife and I went to a completely vegan New Years party in the family's newly-purchased Toyota Prius (yes, we live in California).

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#3 Old 01-01-2016, 10:44 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by David3 View Post
My wife and I went to a completely vegan New Years party in the family's newly-purchased Toyota Prius (yes, we live in California).
They had a vegan new years party? What was the best food there? That is super cool actually. I made a vegetarian buffalo chicken dip yesterday. My omnivore husband ate most of it lol
Purp likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-01-2016, 11:05 AM
No flesh since 99'

Hubby and I went to see the new Star Wars and got out just in time to make it home to ring in the new year No drinking though.
#5 Old 01-01-2016, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

Happy New Years everybody!

I'm not a fan of crowds so we had a quiet evening at home with the cats watching movies. We watched Attack of the Clones since everyone's on a Star Wars kick (it was just as bad as I remembered) and also the first two episodes of Making a Murderer. Interesting show! I hope everyone else had fun and stayed safe!
Purp, Naturebound, David3 and 1 others like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#6 Old 01-01-2016, 01:07 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Happy New Year ^_^

My manbeast and I had chinese takeout and watched Breakfast at Tiffany's. We made a pear upside down cake too ^_^
Purp, LedBoots and David3 like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#7 Old 01-01-2016, 02:37 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Happy New Year ^_^

My manbeast and I had chinese takeout and watched Breakfast at Tiffany's. We made a pear upside down cake too ^_^
I think I'm the only person in the world who detested that movie. She is just such a terrible character!
Purp likes this.
#8 Old 01-01-2016, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyn3113 View Post
I think I'm the only person in the world who detested that movie. She is just such a terrible character!
Eh, it's a story about broken people making mistakes. I'm not convinced she's even supposed to be likeable, she's obviously pretty messed up and really needed therapy not romance.
Purp, LedBoots, David3 and 1 others like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#9 Old 01-01-2016, 03:35 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Eh, it's a story about broken people making mistakes. I'm not convinced she's even supposed to be likeable, she's obviously pretty messed up and really needed therapy not romance.
Yes, I agree. Being so pretty and delicate looking was not an asset in her life
Purp likes this.
#10 Old 01-01-2016, 04:00 PM
Give peas a chance

I organized receipts while watching A Hard Days Night and Il Posto on Hulu.
Purp likes this.

Vegan Cookbooks Illustrated

http://vegan-cookbooks-illustrated.blogspot.com/

http://pinterest.com/VeganCookbooks/

#11 Old 01-01-2016, 04:29 PM
Beginner

Happy new year!

I spent last night working. I did drink though....a Pepsi. It was my NYE splurge.
Purp likes this.
#12 Old 01-01-2016, 04:31 PM
Super Moderator

I think I have the flu. Not fully sure because I'm not always miserable, but I'm chilled, achey, and my box of tissues are almost gone. I also found out just how much cats sleep
Purp likes this.
#13 Old 01-01-2016, 05:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Happy new year, everyone!

I fed, medicated, and cleaned up after animals, as I do every day of my life.
Purp and David3 like this.
#14 Old 01-01-2016, 06:00 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
I think I have the flu. Not fully sure because I'm not always miserable, but I'm chilled, achey, and my box of tissues are almost gone. I also found out just how much cats sleep
Oh, dear. Lots of fluids, preferably warm, easy to digest foods, and rest. Keep your feet and neck warm. Call off work.

Vitamin C, echinacea, zinc, spicy foods, and garlic are some of the things that have been shown to shorten the course and lessen the severity. Gargling and swishing with a weak saline solution helps kill germs in the mouth and throat. The OTC cold and flu meds have been shown to be detrimental, so use them only if you need to and in the smallest effective dosage. Only treat a fever if it's high enough to scare you or if you feel like crap. A little fever helps fight the virus.

/flu rant, hope you don't need any of it!
Purp likes this.
#15 Old 01-01-2016, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I spent some time on VB, surfed the net, took a hot bath, wrote a poem, talked to my partner, and went to bed about 10:30pm. Nothing special. This morning we visited my Mom and put up the spice rack my partner built for her in her kitchen. And we did laundry at a local laundromat and the dryer shrunk half my pants to child size so tomorrow I need to go buy more pants so I have something to wear.

BTW happy new year everyone!
Purp likes this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#16 Old 01-01-2016, 09:14 PM
Beginner

Quote:
I swear by a concoction of my mom's: apple cider vinegar, hot water, and (she used honey but you can use) agave nectar. It's magic, and it actually tastes pretty good too. I hope you feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I spent some time on VB, surfed the net, took a hot bath, wrote a poem, talked to my partner, and went to bed about 10:30pm. Nothing special. This morning we visited my Mom and put up the spice rack my partner built for her in her kitchen. And we did laundry at a local laundromat and the dryer shrunk half my pants to child size so tomorrow I need to go buy more pants so I have something to wear.
Aargh. I'm frustrated on your behalf.
Purp and Naturebound like this.
#17 Old 01-02-2016, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Gingham View Post
I swear by a concoction of my mom's: apple cider vinegar, hot water, and (she used honey but you can use) agave nectar. It's magic, and it actually tastes pretty good too.
My mom has a similar concoction, but with lemon juice in place of vinegar. She's Cuban and apparently it's a popular remedy over there.

We got a bottle of prosecco to drink at midnight but my husband fell asleep and wouldn't budge, so I listened to the fireworks while feeding the baby (formula, not prosecco!)
Purp and David3 like this.
#18 Old 01-02-2016, 01:48 PM
Vegan since 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocelyn3113 View Post
They had a vegan new years party? What was the best food there? That is super cool actually. I made a vegetarian buffalo chicken dip yesterday. My omnivore husband ate most of it lol
Vegetarian buffalo chicken dip! That sounds great, and it gave me an instant craving for spicy food.

The best thing at the part was the udon noodles. All of the food, and all of the party-goers, were Asian (except for me).
Purp likes this.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/
#19 Old 01-02-2016, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator

I actually drink a spoonful (teaspoon or so) of Braggs apple cider vinegar- with the mother- in water in the morning when I get any kind of congestion.
My favorite is miso with grated garlic and ginger, which i almost always have. I even had green onions which are so good in that! I love miso and now I'm out.

I took thurs. as my last vacation day and that was when I first got all fevery and fluey. Friday was worse, but today I'm actually much better. Not gonna do much, but I did run out to get my copy of How Not to Die from the library. It went from being 25th in line to in in one week! I wonder if everyone who ordered it just bought it and returned them right away, or if the libraries ordered more copies? I know I'm ordering it right now! It's the best book I've read in a long time! Not just about nutrients, but on food in a historical perspective, anecdotal, and informational on all the whys, whats, and hows.

I used to go on antibiotics due to sinus almost yearly before going veg,- or i suppose mostly giving up dairy. It's been a really long time since I've had anything like this. Figures it ruined my off days, but at least I'm better
Purp, LedBoots and Blue Gingham like this.
#20 Old 01-02-2016, 02:04 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I am going to get the book as well--how inspiring he is! I'm not sure whether to do kindle or actual book.
Purp likes this.
#21 Old 01-02-2016, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I am going to get the book as well--how inspiring he is! I'm not sure whether to do kindle or actual book.
Its a big book! 399 pages, 545 including his research notes!
Its not a book you need to read beginning to end. So far I've been opening it randomly.
I just like books more, so I am biased, but I would think the book-or better yet both! Maybe you could order it from the library one way or the other?

Heck, proceeds go to charity - do both!
Purp and LedBoots like this.
#22 Old 01-02-2016, 02:25 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Its a big book! 399 pages, 545 including his research notes!
Its not a book you need to read beginning to end. So far I've been opening it randomly.
I just like books more, so I am biased, but I would think the book-or better yet both! Maybe you could order it from the library one way or the other?

Heck, proceeds go to charity - do both!
That's why i want to buy it, the charity part. I think I will get the physical book so that I can lend it out strategically... (omni daughter and boyfriend on a health kick lalalala)
Purp likes this.
#23 Old 01-03-2016, 07:53 AM
Ankle Biter

Totally off topic - but Ledboots, just gotta say, I'm a big fan! Thanks for sharing your knowledge about any snd all matters health related. You are a treasure!
Purp likes this.
#24 Old 01-03-2016, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

My family went to go see Star Wars.
Purp and LedBoots like this.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#25 Old 01-03-2016, 10:22 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
Totally off topic - but Ledboots, just gotta say, I'm a big fan! Thanks for sharing your knowledge about any snd all matters health related. You are a treasure!
Thank you, that's really nice! Happy New Year, Poppy
Purp likes this.
#26 Old 01-04-2016, 10:36 PM
Veggie Regular

We went to the WA coast, shot off fireworks (and heard them all over), played Charades and Dinner Party, ate a lot, and had a great time. Many blessings to all in 2016.
River likes this.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#27 Old 01-05-2016, 01:29 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherries View Post
My family went to go see Star Wars.
A lot of star wars for new years on this board
Purp likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page