• 1 Post By Ukvege
  • 1 Post By otomik
  • 1 Post By unovegan2
  • 1 Post By Amira_Loves_Vegggies

#1 Old 10-10-2015, 02:12 PM
Witch of the South

Send a message via Skype™ to Loki Laufeyson
Obsessed with meat?

Why is this world so obsessed with meat? I am new to vegetarianism, I've only been one since August 1st. Every time I try to buy any foods that are already made from the store, they all have meat in them. Even if it is something as simple as mashed potatoes, there is always "Mashed potatoes with bacon".

Why is this such a big deal to people? Why do people "need" meat so much? I get it if you actually need meat medically, but come on.

I know you basically have to buy ingredients and make everything yourself, but when you are low-income and on less than $150 in food stamps, your options are limited.

I find frozen dinners that are just veggies, they look appetizing, until I see "with chicken" or "with bacon".

I don't want to live off of meat substitutes. Most of them are gross anyway.

What is the obsession? Why can I not be vegetarian on a budget?
MadamSarcastra likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-10-2015, 02:18 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're buying prepared foods (whether veg*n or not), you're eating much more expensively than necessary.

It's much cheaper(not to mention healthier) to cook your own food rather than to buy it prepared.
#3 Old 10-10-2015, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

You can be veg'n very cheaply.
What are your circumstances? Do you rely on others for food, do you cook for others? Is it just you?
I buy beans and lentils dry, in bulk or in bags on sale. Today I just bought yellow and green split peas, black beans, and barley, in one pound bags for $1.00 each. For beans I cook one pound at a time and freeze half. For lentils and dal Ill use as needed because they cook quickly
I shop Aldi (if you have one let me knw) produce on sale. Last trip they had big butternut squash for .69 cents EACH. I made soup with lots of garlic, onion, sweet/hot cherry peppers, and added diced apple at the end
Make soup. You can start using veggies in stir fries or steamed then make soup with the rest
Tofu. I love tofu and find organic ones for under $2.00 at Asian groceries
Tempeh--I only see it at a good price at Trader Joes. $2.00.
Brown rice, bulgar, buckwheat, aramanth, barley
Canned --beans to have on hand. Pumpkin. Organic tomatos
Frozen--peas, broccoli, cauliflower, corn
of course fresh sweet potatoes, yams, white potatoes, onions, peppers mushrooms and whats in season

I stay out of stores where they have delis or cooked meats. Can't stand it. I went to a grocery today for a sale and the cooked smell was right by the tofu. I sprayed body spray on my t- shirt and wore it over my nose
Kiwibird08 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Oh yeah, it gets much, much easier to chose foods.
I rediscovered Pierres chocolate sorbet lately. NO dairy. In fact all there sorbets are vegan (doesn;t say vegan, but they are)
#5 Old 10-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Witch of the South

Oh...I live in Texas lmao. The only places that I can get better vegetarian options is Sprouts, which is highly expensive. I live with my boyfriend, an avid meat eater.

Everything is pretty expensive here, though, food wise. I could research cheaper alternatives, but again, why is this world so obsessed with meat?

There are local farms that bring their crops and fruit to sell, but they don't take food stamps.

I want to get seeds to grow my own food, but I live in a three story apartment on the third floor.
#6 Old 10-10-2015, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Ok, but dried beans, lentils, grains are all cheaper than meat, and everyone needs produce.

The meat and dairy industries are some of the most powerful lobbies in America.
As is the Food AND Drug Admin., farm subsidies,...
#7 Old 10-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Witch of the South

I feel my question will not be answered.
#8 Old 10-10-2015, 04:21 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Laufeyson View Post
The reason meat is in so many things is because the meat industry is powerful and government subsidized, and we are taught from infancy about the happy farm animals, etc.

As far as eating on a budget, prepared meals are always more expensive. Cooking vegetarian is not hard to learn, and it can be fun.

Rice and beans, baked potatoes with refried beans and salsa, spaghetti and red sauce, stir fries, are all way cheaper than meat meals.

Frozen veggies are cheap, and in season produce too. Learn to cook a few veggie meals, there are easy ones on youtube and blogs. Learn to chop veggies fast and you can prepare a meal in 5 minutes, let it cook, and then eat it. Quicker and cheaper than calling for pizza!
#9 Old 10-10-2015, 04:23 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loki Laufeyson View Post
What exactly do you want to know?
#10 Old 10-10-2015, 04:32 PM
Witch of the South

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
What exactly do you want to know?
My main question stated in the original post was "Why is the world so obsessed with meat?" You answered it, though.
LedBoots and warriormama like this.
#11 Old 10-10-2015, 06:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Another reason the world is obsessed with meat is that meat on the table has been a status symbol for most of human history. Meat being available on a regular basis to even poor people is a pretty recent development; you had to be financially secure in order to be able to afford to eat meat daily, and the very rich made an ostentatious show of having a variety of meats available at every meal.

It's why meat consumption is increasing worldwide - as per capita income is increasing in places like China, those who can now afford meat are eating more of it.

My mother was born in 1919. When she was young, she worked as a live-in farmhand. The farmer and his family and their hired hands sat down at the same table for the evening meal. The farmer and his family ate meat, potatoes, and vegetables. The farmhands, sitting at the same table, were given bread and the prior year's apples to eat.

Last edited by Beautiful Joe; 10-10-2015 at 06:15 PM.
#12 Old 10-10-2015, 10:47 PM
Captain

People are obsessed with meat because they think it is "tastier" than vegetables and most do not know the truth behind slaughterhouse factories or where their meat comes from. Like the saying, "If slaughterhouse factories had glass walls, everybody would be vegetarian". Another reason why people are obsessed with meat is because they think it is "healthy" for the body. I once saw this horrible ad in Australia that promotes eating meat at least once a day because it was "brain food" which I thought was a bunch of Bravo Sierra.

As long as humans will never experience the pain, mistreatment and fear to the extent imposed on animals, humans would happily continue to promote and eat meat.
Loki Laufeyson likes this.
#13 Old 10-11-2015, 06:03 AM
No flesh since 99'

Humans commodified animals very early on in human civilization. As civilization progressed, meat became associated with WEALTH. Meat was the food of kings and nobles! Right up to around WW1/WW2, meat was still pretty hard for the poor to obtain and wasn't eaten very often except by the very rich. Once modern agricultural practices took off, so did the availability of meat to the masses. All of a sudden, the average family could afford to eat meat regularly, and all the companies selling meat and meat products backed huge campaigns to convince people meat was 'super healthy' to get them to buy more. So you have 2 factors working here, the fact it's always been the food of the rich (who wants to eat like their poor!) and the fact people have bought hook, line and sinker into the mindset it is essential for human health- the more they eat, the better! If someone told you a baby died every time you drank a glass of water, it would probably be hard to rationalize giving up water because you know it to be essential to life. The loss could be rationalized away as a 'necessary evil' in your own self preservation. Many meat eaters truly believe meat is essential to life, and even though most feel badly an animal has died for their food they are afraid of becoming sick or dying themselves if they stop eating it (even if there is a mountain of evidence to show plant based to be healthier).

As others have said, make your food from scratch. Simple ingredients (especially from the bulk bins) are super cheap (leaving lots of room in the food budget for fruit and veg) making for a nutritious diet. Those meat/dairy replacements are a nice treat, but they aren't particularly healthy (i.e. don't eat too much of them) and totally unnecessary to a vegan diet. Focus on foods that aren't trying to imitate other foods. Beans, grains, seeds, nuts, fruit and veg will provide a inexpensive and nutritionally balanced diet.
#14 Old 10-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Witch of the South

Yeah, I don't really like meat substitutes. Pretty disgusting, the only one I found to like is soy bacon by Morning Star.

Thanks for the information. I've had plenty of people tell me, though, that they have seen factory farm videos and don't care enough to stop eating meat because it "tastes so good".

The health thing is annoying and ridiculous, especially when people get their words from their doctors. The only thing you have to watch out for is protein, but you can get that in a million other places! Meat isn't the only source. I hear the hate on red meat, but they say to eat white meat and fish. It isn't essential. People just think it is. Thank you for telling me about the wealth thing, I had no clue. Maybe these points I can use to counteract what omnis throw at me.
#15 Old 10-23-2015, 07:58 PM

You know, meat is also very similar to male dominance and a connection to the fashion industry. I'm trying hard to say it correctly, but I can't find the right words for it. I'm just going to spit out some words because it's hard to explain.
Basically, wealthy, white, CEO, business, greed, lust, gluttony, selfish, over consumption, exploitation, and tricking the middle class into thinking they need something to fill a void in their life. Usually through the exploitation of defenseless beings. (Animals, third world countries, homeless, poor etc)
https://www.adbusters.org/content/calvin-klein-chicken

Ps ad busters is awesome
Dave in MPLS likes this.
#16 Old 10-26-2015, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
Humans commodified animals very early on in human civilization. As civilization progressed, meat became associated with WEALTH. Meat was the food of kings and nobles! Right up to around WW1/WW2, meat was still pretty hard for the poor to obtain and wasn't eaten very often except by the very rich. Once modern agricultural practices took off, so did the availability of meat to the masses. All of a sudden, the average family could afford to eat meat regularly, and all the companies selling meat and meat products backed huge campaigns to convince people meat was 'super healthy' to get them to buy more.
you're not wrong but "all of a sudden" is a bit much. Haber-Bosch process artificial fertilizers and the larger green revolution defeating Malthusian starvation over a period of about 50 years. Like Jevon's paradox people quickly found ways of using efficiency gains to drive higher consumption in factory farming feed lots. Even then it's not enough because people can only eat so much before they die right?, transform it further into the ethanol they use to get to the drive-thru and ambulance to take them to the ER.
silva likes this.

* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
#17 Old 10-27-2015, 06:33 AM
Beginner

It's cultural. it's what we've known for a long time. at least in the american culture. And big money pushes meat/dairy and skews the truth about the importance/relevance/necessity of having it.
warriormama likes this.

Dog, guts and guns..
#18 Old 11-03-2015, 10:39 AM

If you learn to cook your own food, not only is it healthy but you will know whats in it.
MadamSarcastra likes this.
#19 Old 11-05-2015, 07:13 PM

Tofu is only $1.30-$1.75 where I live (rural kansas) and when I'm broke I mix tofu with beans and rice along with seasonings, tortillas and just eat burritos all week.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page