The disconnect between "newcomers" and "old timers" - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 68Likes

#31 Old 09-01-2015, 05:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to Lorina
I have to be honest. This is the kind of thing I find exhausting. I understand emotions are going to be strong on subjects and there are going to be controversial issues and we're not always going to see eye-to-eye on everything. But it's tiring when even here, there is discord and negativity. Of course there will always be some, and that's normal, but honestly... If we're going to get into heated arguments about every little thing don't we kind of miss the point? We're all here for similar reasons and we are all trying our best in the way we feel is right for us. Do the technicalities matter? Does it really matter what those who eat meat think about us right NOW? Or if someone points out that some vegans can be a bit extreme sometimes? Or that that particular cartoon has an underlying message (intentional or not, we don't know the thoughts of the artist) demonstrating complete ignorance? We're all completely ignorant in some way or another and some people will never ever learn certain things. Isn't it more important that we try to change perceptions together rather than pointing out faults? Let's try and work together, support each other and help others realise we aren't crazy, hostile people. We can just see what is going on and we don't like it, and we want to help others realise the same. How we do it is going to be different for each person. But hey - we all learned in a different way, right? And different tactics and styles will work on different types of people. So let's embrace our differences, realise we don't always have to agree, and take everything with a pinch of salt, not getting too upset before we know the intention of the poster.

I'm not in any way saying we shouldn't speak our minds but we should be able to have civilised discussions without getting upset if we keep in mind we're all (I think) well-intentioned and want the best for the cause.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 09-01-2015, 08:13 PM

i didn't notice anything tbh - i am a newcomer, but i know my stuff when it comes to veganism I'm pretty knowledgeable already and I have to be so that I have an answer for all my family's interrogating questions. I would say that everyone should be wary on forums, yes there's a lot of lovely people here but it's still the internet, and the internet has no boundaries :/ people can say whatever they want, and yes you might find it offensive or hurtful.

So yeah - just be wary - and don't rise to the trolls
#33 Old 09-02-2015, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

This is how I see it...I don't think there is a solution. You can't take a word like "vegan" and expect it to mean too many different things. It needs a standard and consistency. And those who meet the criteria deserve to have it that way, IMO.

Generally speaking, there are people who want to blur the lines and that's where the debate comes in. Why can't they be just be happy to be on their own personal journey? It's pretty much where I've evolved to over the last ten years. I don't own the title, vegan. I don't eat meat, eggs or dairy...except for the rare occasion where I'm away from home and need to eat. I will have the veggie burger that contains egg white or the ww bun that has honey. Sometimes you feel like having more than just a salad.

I mostly buy/use cruelty free products but I'm not 100% there. It's ok that I'm not vegan. I don't even know what I am. As elitist as it may sound, I don't think I'm in the same category as a vegetarian who eats eggs/dairy just because I might have something like a non vegan veggie burger or piece of bread four times a year.

It's almost like the vegan title is some coveted thing...I admit it's pretty darned cool. But if someone wants the title they should own up to it and not try to water the meaning down.

Geesh...I got on a roll there. I'm not even sure I'm on the right track as to the intent of this thread. Hope I didn't make things worse. I'm all about the peace and love, man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LedBoots, no whey jose and Linky like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 09-02-2015, 04:29 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

#35 Old 09-02-2015, 05:47 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Lorina
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Well said. Lol xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page