• 1 Post By cuberail
  • 1 Post By Dave in MPLS
  • 1 Post By Capstan
  • 1 Post By mrgrimm
  • 1 Post By Lymo
  • 1 Post By HomesickMango

#1 Old 08-22-2015, 08:12 AM
Beginner

Ethical Eating just seems so impossible.

Idk if this is the right section for this post. If it's not, move it to the correct one.

Even if you are a vegan. It seems like you have to research everything you put in your mouth. First, you have to check the ingredients. For milk or egg products, or sugar processed with bone char, and some of these things are disguised with confusing words. And there are a lot of foods where they put environmentally harmful chemicals/ingredients in them (ie palm oil and sometimes they put petroleum products in packaged goods), but you don't know what any of those words actually mean, so you have to look that up, too. Then you have to look up where everything is sourced. And that's hard, too, because of greenwashing and there's not enough transparency laws for businesses (at least in the US). You don't even have the right to know if your food is genetically modified! And you have to figure out which farming practices are the most sustainable ones and go off of that. Even if you only buy organic food from the US, the food still could be produced by migrant children overworked and paid little (and this is totally legal, by the way). source: http://www.cracked.com/personal-expe...er-in-usa.html
You can't really truly know exactly where your food comes from, unless you spy on that farm. And some legislators are trying to make it HARDER for people to know. So it seems like the only way is to grow all of your own food. You can't trust any business these days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-22-2015, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

No, you can't trust them. They're out there to get as much money as possible and they don't care how they do it. Breaking the law, changing the law to get away with more, poisoning their customers, child slavery, torture. Nothing goes too far for those greedy enough to rise to the top of these mega corps. The CEO of cadbury would be sitting in a hospital punching babies to death if he could make a few extra bucks doing it.

That being said if you cook you're well on the way to fixing this. I can pop to a store and buy all whole grains/veggies and make everything myself. I don't need to read ingredient lists or know the 20 different words for pig hoof. If I buy locally then slavery is unlikely to be a problem....though working conditions might not be great for a lot of people. However, this seems like an extremely easy problem to fix. It's in my own country where almost everyone can get behind treating other local humans properly.

It does sound a little worse in the US, but I think buying local whole foods and making everything yourself can get you very close to being ideal.
#3 Old 08-22-2015, 10:51 AM
Vegan since 1991

Hi Lymo,

Vegan diets are effective for minimizing violence and harm - it's not possible to completely eliminate these things. If you try to be perfect, the pressure will be unreasonable, and you won't be likely to continue the vegan lifestyle.

If you can learn to cook simple meals from basic ingredients, you can avoid the "mystery ingredient" problem. There are some great vegan dishes that only have 4 or 5 ingredients: Spaghetti, burritos, soup, sandwiches, things like that.

In the United States, farm workers are poorly paid, and they work in harsh conditions. Whether or not you are vegan, this remains a problem. The median wage for agricultural workers is $9 per hour, which means that many people make less than this: http://www.bls.gov/ooh/farming-fishi...al-workers.htm . Because crop harvesting is done at different farms at different times of the year (depending on the crop), farm workers are forced to travel from one farm to another. Farm workers do physically demanding work in hot conditions, near loud harvesting machinery. Because so many farm workers are undocumented, they are afraid of reporting labor abuses (for fear of being deported). There are labor and ministry groups who are working to improve these problems. You might consider contributing your effort and/or money to helping these groups.

_________

Specific recommendations for a healthy diet include: eating more fruit, vegetables, legumes, nuts and grains; cutting down on salt, sugar and fats. It is also advisable to choose unsaturated fats, instead of saturated fats and towards the elimination of trans-fatty acids."
- United Nations' World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/topics/diet/en/

Last edited by David3; 08-22-2015 at 11:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-22-2015, 10:57 AM
Veggie Regular

you don't have to read labels if you stick with whole foods. that's the healthier way to do it, anyway.
David3 likes this.
#5 Old 08-22-2015, 05:06 PM
Riot Nrrrd

MOD NOTE:

I moved it for you Lymo. I had to think about where to put it myself, and I've been here awhile It could have fit in several different categories, so I picked the most general one, in the belief that the most people will see it here.

And welcome to VB!

OK, taking off my mod hat ...

The question that you're asking is one many people have, even folks that have been at this for a while. Heck, I ate kosher gelatin for a while after I had stopped eating non-kosher gelatin, in the mistaken belief that it was mostly seaweed derived (most often it's fish bones). When I found out my mistake, I swore a little bit and adjusted my eating - no more kosher gelatin!

I look at ethical eating as a journey, not a destination. I'm always learning more, and when I learn something new, I say "dang it" and adjust accordingly.
Beautiful Joe likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#6 Old 08-22-2015, 07:46 PM
Impeach the gangster

A haiku-

We are not back yet
To the Garden of Eden
Only taking steps

Tiger Lilly likes this.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#7 Old 08-23-2015, 07:17 AM
Beginner

"one is better than none" in reference to steps being taken towards a vegan lifestyle.

I like the jump in approach, declaring that from this day on I will STRIVE to be a vegan, and that is only relevant to how determined a person is about their life in general. Be tough, make war against this corrupted machine of modern human life, you'll win some and lose some but the effort in the end will pay off.

Take the the person that "strives" to clean their house every weekend, but really only makes the bed, sweeps the floor and then calls it quits. The details are what matters, so keep up the fight! Don't let the house cleaning analogy come true for your vegan life
LedBoots likes this.
#8 Old 08-28-2015, 08:11 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymo View Post
Idk if this is the right section for this post. If it's not, move it to the correct one.

Even if you are a vegan. It seems like you have to research everything you put in your mouth. First, you have to check the ingredients. For milk or egg products, or sugar processed with bone char, and some of these things are disguised with confusing words. And there are a lot of foods where they put environmentally harmful chemicals/ingredients in them (ie palm oil and sometimes they put petroleum products in packaged goods), but you don't know what any of those words actually mean, so you have to look that up, too. Then you have to look up where everything is sourced. And that's hard, too, because of greenwashing and there's not enough transparency laws for businesses (at least in the US). You don't even have the right to know if your food is genetically modified! And you have to figure out which farming practices are the most sustainable ones and go off of that. Even if you only buy organic food from the US, the food still could be produced by migrant children overworked and paid little (and this is totally legal, by the way). source: http://www.cracked.com/personal-expe...er-in-usa.html
You can't really truly know exactly where your food comes from, unless you spy on that farm. And some legislators are trying to make it HARDER for people to know. So it seems like the only way is to grow all of your own food. You can't trust any business these days.
Hi Lymo, welcome to VB. Are you vegetarian or vegan?
#9 Old 08-28-2015, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Ethics are hard to come by nowadays. The best suggestion thus far:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
I look at ethical eating as a journey, not a destination. I'm always learning more, and when I learn something new, I say "dang it" and adjust accordingly.
#10 Old 08-28-2015, 02:43 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymo View Post

Hi Lymo, welcome to VB. Are you vegetarian or vegan?
Vegan. Just made the switch! Was a vegetarian.
LedBoots likes this.
#11 Old 08-28-2015, 02:45 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post
MOD NOTE:

I moved it for you Lymo. I had to think about where to put it myself, and I've been here awhile It could have fit in several different categories, so I picked the most general one, in the belief that the most people will see it here.

And welcome to VB!

OK, taking off my mod hat ...

The question that you're asking is one many people have, even folks that have been at this for a while. Heck, I ate kosher gelatin for a while after I had stopped eating non-kosher gelatin, in the mistaken belief that it was mostly seaweed derived (most often it's fish bones). When I found out my mistake, I swore a little bit and adjusted my eating - no more kosher gelatin!

Thanks! This is a good way to look at it.
#12 Old 08-28-2015, 03:14 PM

I agree, it's hard to get it 100% right. Most vegans are on the right track, at least.
IMO, shopping at a local farmers market or Whole Foods Market is a convenient way to find organic veggies and fruit. Man, I just couldn't grow my own food.
Aphorism of the day:
Don't let PERFECT be the enemy of GOOD.
Lymo likes this.
#13 Old 08-28-2015, 04:05 PM
Riot Nrrrd

Quote:
shopping at a local farmers market or Whole Foods Market is a convenient way to find organic veggies
Or your local independent co-op, if that option is available. I'm lucky there, Minnesota has a long and strong tradition of those sort of places.

And it's sort of a "last resort" option, but you have to weigh the plusses and minuses when making purchasing decisions, and it's worthwhile to remember that WalMart is a huge player in that market space.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page