7Likes
  • 1 Post By rasitha.wijesekera
  • 3 Post By silva
  • 1 Post By Kiwibird08
  • 2 Post By Dogma

#1 Old 08-08-2015, 01:05 PM
Beginner

Honey--Why is it Bad To Eat?

I really don't see any problem with eating honey.
No "it's bee vomit and that's gross" arguments.
Or "it's the vegan thing to do" arguments.
I've never heard of abusive bee farming. (If this exists, explain and provide evidence).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Isnt there some super thread somewhere discussing the whole thing. I'm sure theres plenty of arguments and evidence to both sides.

As you are new, here you go.
https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/60...honey-bad.html
#3 Old 08-08-2015, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator

because its totally unnecessary and the health benefits exagerrated and misleading.
this is from a honey

this is from a page about homesteading that's actually promoting beekeeping. to me its a good reason not to use it--

Have you ever wondered how a tiny little insect like a bee could ever fill a jar of honey? If it were just down to one bee it would be a mighty task but the work is shared by many thousands of bees and is a great example of what can be achieved by a co-ordinated effort. Think of it in terms of humans creating something like a pyramid.
A jar of honey weighs 454grammes and a bee can carry about 0.04grammes of nectar. But nectar is only about 40% sugar and honey needs to be about 80% sugar so the bee actually only carries about 0.02grammes of honey on each trip.

Now how many bees would we need to fill a jar of honey? The answer is 454/0.02 grammes which equals =

22,700 bees are required to fill a single jar of honey.

This sounds impressive enough but of course a colony of bees doesn't just make one jar of honey. Over the year the queen will produce between 100,000 and 200,000 bees that will each spend between 10 and 20 days collecting nectar.

At its most productive a single colony of bees could theoretically produce around 800kg of honey, that's almost a tonne!

The reason that beehives aren't the size of warehouses to accommodate all this honey is that it is being continually used up by the bees as fuel, primarily to keep the brood warm. So at any given time there may only be between 10 and 20kg of honey in the hive.

It's food for bees they work hard to make. like when the deer eat things people plant, they get annoyed, but can you imagine if they can in the house and ate your dinner?

there are so many options. agave, brown rice syrup, maple syrup, date syrup, molasses, even homemade simple syrup and corn syrup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-08-2015, 02:02 PM
No flesh since 99'

It really depends on your personal comfort level. Vegetarianism "allows" for the consumption of honey, as bees are not being killed or tortured for it per-se (vegetarians do not consume flesh, but do consume other animal products that are not a direct result of death). Collecting honey is still a form of exploiting animals for human interests though. I short, honey is food for bees, and we take the bees food so we can eat it instead. Therefore, vegans do not consume honey because vegans do not support animal exploitation on any level, death involved or not (and I suppose one may be able to argue some bees starved or something, but thats really splitting hairs and confusing the issue). There is also no need for honey in the human diet. It has nothing that we cannot obtain from plant based sources.

I will add on a personal note, honey was probably the hardest thing for me to give up when I went totally vegan. For years, I used it for the supposed benefits for seasonal allergies (and did in fact notice some improvements). I was very concerned after going vegan I would have terrible allergies this past spring. Much to my surprise, I did not have hardly any seasonal allergy issues. This is probably because while honey was helpful, dairy products were at the root of (almost all) of my allergy issues. When I gave up dairy, my body's immune system "calmed down" and I no longer needed honey for seasonal allergy symptoms.
Naturebound likes this.

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
#5 Old 08-08-2015, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I always liked this link.
http://vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#6 Old 08-09-2015, 02:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lymo
I really don't see any problem with eating honey.
The day I went vegan was the last time I visited a Renaissance Festival.

You know how they got those little huts set up to sell honey sticks? I would buy those every year.

Well, I got up to it and saw the bee display case. It's the same display case they use every year: an approximately 1-inch thick glass cross-section of a bee hive with live bees in it.

For the first time I looked at it and thought:

"It must suck to live in that...
Hardly being able to move...
There only to be gawked at by people there to buy something you worked hard to make...
You didn't consent to this...
If I bought anything I would only be enabling this...
This isn't an isolated circumstance..."

I stood there frozen and thought about it from every possible angle for well over a minute, irritating my family who was waiting for me. I concluded that I could not come up with a convincing excuse as to why the bees deserved to be there, let alone treated as mere tools for the production of a product the business clearly had no right to sell.

I walked away from the hut without buying anything for the first time.

I felt so terrible that I couldn't look at the circus animals without feeling tears starting to well up.

I have no desire to visit a Renaissance Festival again.
no whey jose and lookforstars like this.
#7 Old 08-09-2015, 08:55 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post
I always liked this link.
http://vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! Very helpful link.
#8 Old 08-10-2015, 11:29 AM

personally i see it as being similar to the diary industry. Also if you do look into bee farming and it's methods, it definitely displays animal cruelty. The fact that queen bees get their wings torn off so they are unable to leave so that worker bees keep on regurgitating the nectar. It's quite sad
#9 Old 08-11-2015, 10:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookforstars View Post
The fact that queen bees get their wings torn off so they are unable to leave so that worker bees keep on regurgitating the nectar. It's quite sad
I've never heard that bit.
#10 Old 08-12-2015, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogma View Post
I've never heard that bit.
yeah the worker bees only regurgitate the nectar when the queen is present, so by keeping the queen bee there, more honey is produced, and more money is made.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page