• 2 Post By Windigo
  • 4 Post By Werewolf Girl
  • 1 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By Vegmedic

#1 Old 07-18-2015, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Improved Lab-Grown Burger Will Be Sold On The Mainstream Market

Quote:
Dr Mark Post, the chair of the department of physiology and professor of vascular physiology and tissue engineering at Maastricht University, is aiming not only to improve the taste of his lab-grown burger, but to make it available to mainstream markets in the future, according to the presentation he gave at Where Science Feeds Innovation expo in Chicago on July 12.

With a current price of $300,000 (£192,000), his stem cell creation was initially criticized for the overall texture, taste and color, but he appears to have made vast leaps in improving the recipe, now just working on improving the flavor by finding a substitute for the fat lacking in the synthetic burger (which gives regular meat patties their taste).

Using skeletal muscle fiber stem cells from a cow, cultures are grown in a lab to create the burger.
Read the rest here: http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and...ket-unfinished

Is this vegetarian? Would you eat it?
no whey jose likes this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-18-2015, 05:15 PM
Impeach the gangster

Yechk. As far as I'm concerned, it's still cannibalism.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 07-18-2015, 05:16 PM
No flesh since 99'

I would venture to say it's not, but some might consider it vegetarian/vegan. As for ME eating it? Absolutely not. Meat is not healthy, being (arguably) "ethical" does not change that fact. Growing it in a lab probably makes it even more unhealthy (guess I just don't trust anything made in a lab being suitable for human consumption).
mackiesgirl likes this.

"The reward for conformity is that everyone likes you but yourself"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-18-2015, 06:29 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

"Although the new and improved patty will still be expensive when it hits mainstream restaurants at over a couple of hundred dollars, Post believes that there will be a market for them. "

Lol, what is he, nuts?
#5 Old 07-18-2015, 10:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know why you guys don't like this. It would be far easier to get companies/people to make/eat fake meat products rather than get them to eat vegan.
Scorpius and Beautiful Joe like this.
#6 Old 07-19-2015, 02:05 AM
Super Moderator

I wouldn't eat it, personally, but I do believe this is the future of meat-- and it's a much better system than the one we have currently.
#7 Old 07-19-2015, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know anyone who doesn't appreciate foods that are vegan that don't try and replicate meat. I know many, myself included, who make fun of gross vegan products like the many vegan hot dogs and 'meats'. Tofu pups were one of my first vegan faux meats and if they were a representation of vegan foods I would not be here! I am here because there isn't a need for replicas. While there are many processed vegan offering that are 'meatlike', they very much plant based.
I don't believe pushing the idea of needing meat will ever do much to decrease the demand. There will always be those with enough money to buy the fringe products, but they aren't the mainstream. the mainstream are those who shop the big box stores and look for quantity. Beans are quantity and provide as much variety as meat. It isn't that people can;t change their thinking, it's more that popular thought leads to desiring what is popular--and making meat from cloned cells will only lead to more desire for -- meat
Capstan and Naturebound like this.
#8 Old 07-19-2015, 09:08 AM
Super Moderator

...and that's I don;t like calling foods like Gardein products 'faux meats'
I recall an article by Colleen Godreaux (sp) about calling foods more like "plant meats" instead of replicas.I like that
LedBoots likes this.
#9 Old 07-19-2015, 10:55 AM
The prowling wolf

I don't eat anything that was created in a lab; the thought of it scares me. Yuck.
Kiwibird08 and mackiesgirl like this.

Nothing tastes as good as compassion feels.
#10 Old 07-19-2015, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
"Although the new and improved patty will still be expensive when it hits mainstream restaurants at over a couple of hundred dollars, Post believes that there will be a market for them. "

Lol, what is he, nuts?
You'd be surprised how much rich people will pay for things! If it's a novelty and something they can brag about to their friends they consider it worth the money. I worked on Real Housewives of Vancouver for awhile and it was shocking what they'd buy. This one lady in particular had a salad bowl that was over 10 grand and also a chocolate shaving machine that literally just makes chocolate shavings to put on desserts like you could do with a cheese grater that she wouldn't disclose the exact price of but she made sure to mention a few times that it was "about the price of a small car."

But the article says the price will go down and become more reasonable over time and that's when I'm hoping it will truly become popular and start to replace conventional meat. While it's not something I'd want to eat personally I do think it would be a great alternative to factory farming. What I'm most excited about is eventually being able to get cruelty free pet food, I'd love to be able to feed my cats without feeling conflicted about it.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#11 Old 07-19-2015, 01:48 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
You'd be surprised how much rich people will pay for things! If it's a novelty and something they can brag about to their friends they consider it worth the money. I worked on Real Housewives of Vancouver for awhile and it was shocking what they'd buy. This one lady in particular had a salad bowl that was over 10 grand and also a chocolate shaving machine that literally just makes chocolate shavings to put on desserts like you could do with a cheese grater that she wouldn't disclose the exact price of but she made sure to mention a few times that it was "about the price of a small car."

But the article says the price will go down and become more reasonable over time and that's when I'm hoping it will truly become popular and start to replace conventional meat. While it's not something I'd want to eat personally I do think it would be a great alternative to factory farming. What I'm most excited about is eventually being able to get cruelty free pet food, I'd love to be able to feed my cats without feeling conflicted about it.
But this doesn't answer your question, "Is this vegetarian?" If a vegetarian eats in vitro meat, is he still a vegetarian? Is lab-meat merely a "by-product," like milk or eggs, or is it part of what was a living animal?

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#12 Old 07-19-2015, 07:49 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure.... I'm reading in a lot of comments about this story that the 'lab meat' still gets grown in fetal fluid of baby cows.

Are those people right?

(Still wouldn't eat it because I have a lentil burger that gets close enough to the mark)
#13 Old 07-20-2015, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capstan View Post
But this doesn't answer your question, "Is this vegetarian?" If a vegetarian eats in vitro meat, is he still a vegetarian? Is lab-meat merely a "by-product," like milk or eggs, or is it part of what was a living animal?
These questions will be easy to answer as soon as we have more information about the method of production. If the production of lab meat requires the death of an animal, then it would obviously not be vegetarian and a vegetarian wouldn't eat it. If it is entirely synthetic, then it would be vegan. I don't think that vegans and vegetarians are the most likely market for lab meat, though. I'm much more interested in the response of meat-eaters. If lab meat can replace actual meat, I consider that a victory. If it only replaces tofu, not so much!

Does anyone know for certain how lab meat is actually produced, or how it will be produced if there's a big market for it?
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#14 Old 07-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post
Is this vegetarian? Would you eat it?
I will. As to whether it would be vegetarian or not, some will say yes, some will say no. I personally don't care one way or another. I am a vegetarian because of environmental considerations, and a desire for reduced animal suffering. This will be a massive step forward for both. I also recognize that animals are killed indirectly in the farming of the vegetarian food that I eat. That reality means that I have to weigh the pros and cons. I refuse to let perfect be the enemy of the good.

Peter Singer talks about it here: http://www.theguardian.com/commentis...free-hamburger

Ronald Bailey talks about it, and lab created milk, here: http://reason.com/archives/2015/03/2...end-of-farming

It is the future; better for the environment, better for health, and more ethical than the natural versions. Like all advancements some people will oppose it, and do so using a set of myths that romanticize a past that never existed (and the myth that the food they currently eat is natural, or that food in the past was safer). I expect there to be a ton of baseless scare stories spread about it as people lose their minds over nothing, and then forget all about those same baseless scare stories once they have jumped to the next baseless scare stories bandwagon.
Beautiful Joe likes this.
#15 Old 07-22-2015, 04:57 PM

Yes I would definitely eat those. I'm not afraid of genetically modified foods at all. I think biotechnology is neat, and I hope cloning of humans also becomes mainstream.
#16 Old 12-31-2015, 04:14 PM

I would eat it. I've never bought the "meat is unhealthy" mantra that so many vegans and vegetarians seem to repeat. Meat is a shortcut. Meat contains a vast amount of nutrients (we're all familiar with what), so it is not AS necessary to plan with a meat-inclusive than with a meat-exclusive. The reason is because the animal (or in this case the machine) has done all of the work of converting food (grass) to flesh. But while we might munch on some carrots and expect the same thing, we fail to realize that a cow, for example, spends all of their time eating, and possesses four stomachs to digest the grass (or hay or whatever). A human cannot possibly match the cow in their ability to process vegetable matter, so it is far more convenient to simply eat the cow (or milk).

Meat that has been raised properly (eg. grass-fed free range etc) hasn't really been documented to show ill effect. The meat that most people eat is the muscle, as many of the organ meats have fallen out of favor. However, many organ meats, such as bone marrow (good for mitochondria), liver (b12), brain (high in good fats), kidney, etc. are, in fact, incredibly nutrient-dense and contain many nutrients that are difficult to find in plants. (Btw all of those paleo freaks think eating red meat is the answer, but they are wrong. If cavemen are meat, it would be so scarce that they wouldn't waste any of it. Thus, they would eat these organs)

The scientific explanation becomes irrelevant when ethics and the environment come into play, but why would you reject the health benefits of meat if you can circumvent all of these concerns by artificially creating meat? I am becoming very tired of eating beansrouts and tofu as my sole source of these nutrients. The inclusion of printed meat, for some, would be incredibly beneficial.
#17 Old 12-31-2015, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

You analysis of meats nutrients for human isn't adequate. We are capable of formulating the nutrients, as opposed to carnivores who require them preformulated. We aren't herbivores like cows either. We HAVE drastically changed our requirements for food, so there is no comparison to ancestors.
I don't think all meat is unhealthy, but i do think it's all unnecessary and does more harm than good.

Lab food for carnivores however, yes please!

Why would you rely on sprouts and tofu? You do sound as if you have a boring diet. although I do love tofu, it's just a little part

Last edited by silva; 12-31-2015 at 04:47 PM.
#18 Old 12-31-2015, 04:38 PM

I don't see me eating this any time soon. It's just too creepy. I can get enough protein with beans, nuts and tofu. I'm happy and it's easier for my system to digest. I had real problems with meat. Besides the ethics, meat is greasy no matter how lean the meat is and how you cook it. All I an say is yuck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page