Kerry's Speech - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-29-2004, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I had many problems with the convention in general (not even counting what it did to Boston!) The musical performers, the Vietnam comrade buddies, the balloons and confetti, and the overall fanfare seemed unprofessional to me, however I can't imagine the Republicans will be any different.

But enough about that and on to Kerry's speech.

I wasn't impressed at first, but as his speech went on I was really surprised by how good he was at public speaking! He seemed very sincere and overall I was quite impressed.

I like how he quoted people and referenced history from the distant past.

There were three things he said that I really liked.

I love how he said that those against the war were not unpatriotic but were in fact the heart of what makes Democracy great.

I really enjoyed his comment on how he was not going to claim that God was on his side, and then referenced Lincoln and said how he humbly hopes that we are in His side.

And lastly, I enjoyed his reference of America's inventive past conjuring up the Wright brothers, the Moon mission, and ended by saying how he supports Science and hopes that stem cell research can cure many of our health woes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2004, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

There were three things he said that I really liked.

I love how he said that those against the war were not unpatriotic but were in fact the heart of what makes Democracy great.

I really enjoyed his comment on how he was not going to claim that God was on his side, and then referenced Lincoln and said how he humbly hopes that we are in His side.

And lastly, I enjoyed his reference of America's inventive past conjuring up the Wright brothers, the Moon mission, and ended by saying how he supports Science and hopes that stem cell research can cure many of our health woes.

i really liked these things as well. I think the democratic convention in boston is just silly, but i know the republicans will be just as silly, but Kerry was a very good speaker! I believed that he honestly meant what he was saying, and that he invested alot of time into writing his speech. He spoke in terms that people could understand and accept, and he put alot of good quotes in. I think he did a good job, overall.
#3 Old 07-29-2004, 09:57 PM
Administrator

You would think with all of the problems going on in the world each side would be ashamed to be spending so much money on advertising, conventions, etc. It just seems like a waste.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-29-2004, 10:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel Girl View Post

I believed that he honestly meant what he was saying, and that he invested alot of time into writing his speech. He spoke in terms that people could understand and accept, and he put alot of good quotes in. I think he did a good job, overall.

I agree completely.

I went into the viewing of his speech as being quite pessimistic and I was very impressed.

I can say now that I will vote for him without feelings of guilt for abandoning the Green party this election.
#5 Old 07-29-2004, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikie View Post

I went into the viewing of his speech as being quite pessimistic and I was very impressed.

another plus. alot of POSTIVES in this speech, he didnt spend the 45 minutes or whatever bashing bush, he just spoke of all the postives he wanted to do and the negatives that he wants to change. there was only a couple of moments when he brought up president by name, and at the end where he asked for bush to respect and atleast listen to him during the next couple of months, that was pretty cool too. he is shaping up to be a good democratic nominee, i am thinking.
#6 Old 07-29-2004, 10:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh! And I just thought of a fourth thing that he said that I was very impressed with!

He made that comment on how Americans with family values need to start valuing families! Whoa! Very good!
#7 Old 07-29-2004, 10:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

You would think with all of the problems going on in the world each side would be ashamed to be spending so much money on advertising, conventions, etc. It just seems like a waste.

The convention is much more than simply a mass meeting of people gathering to see a live acceptance speech.

The conventions are also where ideas are discussed and parties hash out their ideologies. I think it can be argued that the conventions shape the next 4 years.

I agree that they cost lots of money, however I don't know much about them to make an argument saying that it's too much.
#8 Old 07-29-2004, 10:15 PM
Administrator

I don't think it needs to be such a spectacle. I understand why they do it, I just don't care too much for it.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 07-29-2004, 10:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been watching the convention all week, and I've been very impresssed with many of the speeches - I liked the Clintons', Edwards', and Kerry's tonight was excellent. I liked some of his references, and his slogan "Help is on the way" is quite catchy.
#10 Old 07-29-2004, 10:48 PM

is there another one tommorow?
#11 Old 07-30-2004, 02:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I liked some of his references, and his slogan "Help is on the way" is quite catchy.

That was also Mrs. Doubtfire's catch phrase. ;-)

Admitedly, I was surprised at Kerry's apparent knack for public speaking. The tone of the message seemed optimistic in general. However, I did not care for the comment eluding to Bush "wanting" to go to war; he said something along the lines of "America goes to war when we have to, not when we want to."

I thought that was just silly. No one "wants" to go to war. Bush isn't playing a game of cowboys and indians, and I think it will be prudent for Kerry to acknowledge that we are/were in genuine danger from terrorism.

Sharpton was loud and pompous, nothing new there. John Edwards was enjoyable; a fine choice for vp. I bet Bush wished he could have got him. He adds some much needed charisma and has a shiny, happy family to boot.

If Kerry were not speaking of reinstituting partial-birth abortion, I might actually have a decision to make.
#12 Old 07-30-2004, 02:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by grain_girl View Post

If Kerry were not speaking of reinstituting partial-birth abortion, I might actually have a decision to make.

Thomas Aquinas said, "Beware the man of one book."
#13 Old 07-30-2004, 06:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Sharpton was loud and pompous, nothing new there.

That he was, but it was nice to see someone telling it like it is. Although the whole "mule" thing was quite a long reach.

I like how Kerry pronounced most words correctly.
#14 Old 07-30-2004, 07:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I do agree with this Michael...I was thinking about this the other day...how much is spent on parties and conventions and such for the very top part of society when these things COULD cost a lot less than they do. We've got a war going on...we've got people who can't feed themselves. It seems ludicrous actually.

B
#15 Old 07-30-2004, 08:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigB View Post

I like how Kerry pronounced most words correctly.

Ha! You'd think that'd be at least a minimum requirement for an office with the potential to fire "nuclear" missles, but I guess not.
#16 Old 07-30-2004, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I thought that was just silly. No one "wants" to go to war.

Are you saying that Genghis Khan, Napoleon or Alexander the Great (to name a few), never wanted to go to war? Might want to re-read some history books on that one.
#17 Old 07-30-2004, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LudwigB View Post

That he was, but it was nice to see someone telling it like it is. Although the whole "mule" thing was quite a long reach.

I have to admit, this somewhat twisted sort of similie, "We ain't worried about what people are doing in the bedroom, we're worried about what they're eating in the kitchen" made me smile.

The whole mule rant seemed like a paradox to me; Al Sharpton grew up in poverty and rose to a somewhat significant position, without his mule or forty acres. This is a positive aspect, showing that one doesn't need government assitance to succeed.

Mikie -- I understand your point, certainly. However, due to the extreme moral ramifications of that particular issue, I just cannot overlook it. : /
#18 Old 07-30-2004, 04:18 PM

I didn't want to like it, but I did. I'm usually pretty good at sifting through what is bulls*** and what isn't. He actually seems to really want to change things, and right now we really need to change things. I was really impressed.

Not too impressed with Edwards, but I certainly like him a lot more than Dick Cheney...

I thought Sharpton was awesome too btw
#19 Old 07-30-2004, 04:34 PM

i loved kerrys speech! here's the main thing..... kerry is hardly better than bush, but we need to get bush out of office. he's much more sincere and real. he can also pronounce more words correctly than bush can. yes, he was attacking the republicans, but that's because they messed up. it's not like they did something small, like not wash thier hands when they leave a bathroom, but they declared war on a country for OIL and said it was for america's, and the worlds, "protection" AND Bush declaired war without the other politicians o.k.

tell me if you would like a better, more edjucated reason

i'm not trying too hard right now
#20 Old 07-30-2004, 04:38 PM
Veggie Regular

I was going to vote against Bush.....

Now I think I might just vote FOR Kerry.

I wasn't expecting to be impressed, but I was.
#21 Old 07-30-2004, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, and another thing....

He wants to strongly explore alternative fuel sources, not just dig up Alaska!

Hooray!
#22 Old 07-30-2004, 05:01 PM

i was very impressed - thought he was great

and VERY excited about his health care comments.

i've been totally leaning on the "well, he's not the right guy, but at least he's not bush" but now i'm very hopeful

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page