Death Penalty - Page 3 - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Do you support the death penalty?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Unsure/Undecided 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 Old 07-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Beginner

No human being has the right to decide that someone else should die.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#62 Old 07-31-2004, 12:17 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm for it, as long as it's a 110% certainty that the right person was convicted. I just think the world is better off w/o the likes of a Ted Bundy. Why use good money to feed, house, give medical care to some sick ******* like this and take the chance, however slight, that he might escape and do it again?
#63 Old 07-31-2004, 12:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

"We don't steal from the thief, rob the robber, or rape the rapist... Why do we think we must murder the murderer?"

Maybe we should.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#64 Old 07-31-2004, 12:53 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I'm for it, as long as it's a 110% certainty that the right person was convicted.

But if someone denies the crime, it is often hard to EVER be 100% sure someone did the crime. It seems the verdict/sentence can also be different depending on how much you can afford to spend on a legal defense.
#65 Old 07-31-2004, 04:25 AM

I'm against it for one reason:

Quote:
This happens more than you know (the wrong person being convicted of a crime).

#66 Old 07-31-2004, 09:17 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristadb View Post

Life, we've had this discussion before I know, but I don't care how many people a person kills. Us putting them to death is us committing another murder.

I don't want Terry Nickles executed. Planning and doing are two different things. Krista, I normally agree with you. I can not get past the knowledge that he cased the place, knew the daycare center was on the bottom floor at the front and he still parked the van right infront of the daycare center. He said he was at war. So it's ok to make children a prime target in the war? So he was executed for his war crimes. That's as good a reason as any.

The rest who receive the death penalty can be put in my definition of prison, (see above).
#67 Old 07-31-2004, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm very much against the death penalty.

I was at a lecture about death penalty last year and was shocked at some of the information I got. For example, that eight countries in the world sentence kids under 18 to death. The US being among those eight countries! The other 7 are: Democratic Republic of Congo, Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, China and Yemen.

The lecture used the case of Thomas Miller-El (on Texas Death Row) as an example of how the legal system isn't always fair and it was very disturbing. Link for anyone who's interested: http://www.thomasmillerel.com/
#68 Old 07-31-2004, 09:46 AM

I understand where you are coming from, I truly do. I just come to a different conclusion at the end.

I don't like to discuss this with you b/c we've gotten into some heated debates about it and it created some hard feelings - something I don't want to happen again.

All I know is the SOB that butchered my friend was her bf. He used his trust and power over her to use his own hands to kill her. True, if he died today in a car accident I wouldn't shed a tear, but supporting the death penalty to me would be the same as if I got in that car and ran him over on purpose (again, not an issue in Canada, but that's besides the point).

I'll bow out of here b/c I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings. I understand how delicate a topic this is - many of us have lost people we know and love - but we all drwa different conclusions.
#69 Old 07-31-2004, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Descentia View Post

But if someone denies the crime, it is often hard to EVER be 100% sure someone did the crime. It seems the verdict/sentence can also be different depending on how much you can afford to spend on a legal defense.

OJ Simpson is a prime example of this.
#70 Old 07-31-2004, 12:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankruptor View Post

Suppose Adolph Hitler hadn't committed suicide, was put on trial for genocide, pleaded guilty to ordering the Holocaust but claimed that it was justified because of the Jewish problem, and then told everybody that if he was ever released he would do the same again, along with ordering the execution of everyone involved with his trial. Furthermore, there was evidence to indicate that he had some subordinates in prison and was secretly working a Nazi overthrow of the prison. Would this set of facts not justify his execution?

As I said, I am not comfortable with the death penalty. However, I believe that there are circumstances where execution is the best of some bad options.

Nice Goodwin there!

I'd have to ask the hypothetical monkeys that come out of my butt. I think they just finished up "Waiting for Godot" and are starting on Sondheim's "Sweeny Todd." That should be interesting because as far as I can tell, they are tone deaf.
#71 Old 07-31-2004, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

MVFR

Thought this site may be of interest.

Quote:
Why We Oppose the Death Penalty

Most criticism of the death penalty focuses on how it affects the person on death row. Our concern is how the death penalty affects the rest of us in society. Our opposition to the death penalty is rooted in our direct experience of loss and our refusal to respond to that loss with a quest for more killing. Executions are not what will help us heal.

#72 Old 07-31-2004, 03:52 PM

Murder is the only crime where we practice 'an eye for an eye'.
#73 Old 07-31-2004, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I'm for it, as long as it's a 110% certainty that the right person was convicted. I just think the world is better off w/o the likes of a Ted Bundy. Why use good money to feed, house, give medical care to some sick ******* like this and take the chance, however slight, that he might escape and do it again?

I absolutely agree with you. The only reason I ever wonder if it is the right thing or not is because some of them want to die and I wouldn't want them to get what they want.
#74 Old 07-31-2004, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

Nice Goodwin there!

I'd have to ask the hypothetical monkeys that come out of my butt. I think they just finished up "Waiting for Godot" and are starting on Sondheim's "Sweeny Todd." That should be interesting because as far as I can tell, they are tone deaf.

Would you please stop hogging the bong, others here want to get to where you seem to be . . .
#75 Old 07-31-2004, 06:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyVT View Post

They have given up the right to have rights of their own.

Where'd you read this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

"We don't steal from the thief, rob the robber, or rape the rapist... Why do we think we must murder the murderer?"

Wouldn't that be funny if they caught the person who robbed from us and we could go to their house and take something in return!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bankruptor View Post

Furthermore, there was evidence to indicate that he had some subordinates in prison and was secretly working a Nazi overthrow of the prison.

Sounds like they need to be put into seperate prisons!
#76 Old 07-31-2004, 11:17 PM

There seems to be a line of thought that the death penalty is okay because people are getting "what they deserve". I for one, I glad I don't get what I deserve. I'm not planning on committing murder anytime soon, but...there are days when I am *****y or selfish or lazy....when I really don't deserve the (positive) treatment I get from bf's, co-workers, family, etc.

Just because someone (in the opinion of some) deserves death, doesn't mean we should give it to them.

In the words of Ghandi "An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind."

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#77 Old 08-01-2004, 04:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I am against the death penalty if not for one reason:

If we (society) kill the killer, then we are no better than him. We also become killers. How can we pass judgement on him if we're no better? We can't.
#78 Old 08-01-2004, 02:39 PM
Beginner

Yes, I do support it.
#80 Old 08-01-2004, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

To quote Sir William Blackstone, "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than one innocent suffer."
#81 Old 08-01-2004, 11:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess B View Post

To quote Sir William Blackstone, "It is better that ten guilty persons escape than one innocent suffer."

What if the ten guilty people escape and go on to murder/torture/rape thirty innocent people?
#82 Old 08-02-2004, 12:34 AM
Veggie Regular

#83 Old 08-02-2004, 02:44 AM
Veggie Regular

if you a kill a murder your not only punishing them you punish their family- children/mum/dad et.c. and i am sure in many cases they did not raise their children to be murderers.

now i know many people on the board may hate me for the next bit but.......... united colours of benentton

Toscani's images are meant to remind people that these people are human beings, just like everyone else. Benetton feels that many people seem to forget that the debate concerning the death penalty is one that directly involves real, individual people, many of whom have families, children and friends just like the rest of us.

later benetton disgarded toscani because of the controversy but toscani did an amazing video i would love to get hold of.

he was allowed to meet the inmates and commented on the waiting knowing when your life will end and just waiting for it to happen is the worst punishment possible.
#84 Old 08-02-2004, 02:47 AM
Veggie Regular

My name is Oliviero Toscani and I speak on behalf of the Transnational Radical Party on item 17 and in particular on the question of the Death Penalty.

Mr. Chair, Unfortunately, the world is still divided into countries and nations, this place is a proof of it. And, strangely enough, we do regard ourselves belonging to the different races. It is not officially allowed yet to belong to one single race, the Human Race.

If you have the chance to belong to the unofficial human Race, like many people and myself, you have the bad chance to encounter major difficulties in the modern world.

One of these difficulties is accepting the fact that in some parts of the world still exists the Death Penalty, capital executions, legalized murders. I am not going to bore you by telling all the reasons why it should be eliminated, because by now it is clear to everybody that the Death Penalty is not a remedy a all. But I want to tell you that the Death Penalty, unfortunately, is not just a problem for those countries who practice it, for those who believe in it, for those who it is real, for those countries which kill thinking to make justice. The problem is that, for myself, as for many of my peers who belong to the Human Race, we do not want to belong to the unhuman Race that still executes, who are on the side of legal murder. We do not want to belong to that unhuman Race who legalizes the work of an executioner, and we do not want to belong to the unhuman Race that kills for justice.

The Death Penalty is a problem for civilized people and society, the Death Penalty and civilization are a contradiction in terms. It is almost ridiculous to still speak about it today in April, 2001, for the real and only Human Race is as ridiculous as speaking about slavery, but for abolishing it, it took a long time and lots of violence.

The Death Penalty has no reason to belong to any justice system. The Death Penalty belongs in a system based on revenge, discrimination and violence, where the easiest way to get rid of the justice problem is just by killing.

Recently, I had the opportunity, as a photographer, to enter six US prisons where I photographed 26 inmates on Death Rows.

I was struck by the look in their eyes; they all had the same drama in their expression. The drama of a failed life, the drama of no future. These are things that you only get to see at the movies, and that you hope you only see at the movies. When you realize that they can be also real, you start to panic. The reality of the Death Row is one of those things.

The Death Row smells of death, of moribund people, of a morgue of alive people waiting to be executed in cold blood under the supervision of testimonies who want their sense of revenge satisfied - like in the worst motion picture.

Well, if you belong to the Human Race, you do not want revenge, you want justice and you do not want to be a collaborationist of other humans who kill thinking they are doing the right thing. Killing can never be right. It is not a question of country, from east to west, religion, political system, education, tradition, cultural limits, the question is that everybody knows that killing is wrong. We should teach this to our children - how can we do that if we continue to execute people? It is not anymore a question of who is guilty and who is innocent, because this is a mistake. The problem comes down to the execution in and of itself as well as for those who are guilty. It is Cain,,we have to understand the meaning of Hands Off Cain in this respect.

The countries who practice the Death Penalty should also have the courage to make it public. They should stop hiding behind their violence.

I am very pleased to be here today, in such an important place, speaking to you about ending the Death Penalty. Because one day, and I hope soon, my grandchildren will be proud of their grandfather, who fought for the elimination of the Death Penalty as I am proud of my grandfather who fought for twenty years against fascism, because we all do belong to the only Human Race existing.

Thank you.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page