• 1 Post By varun
  • 3 Post By leedsveg
  • 7 Post By no whey jose
  • 1 Post By LedBoots
  • 1 Post By no whey jose

#1 Old 06-22-2015, 06:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Car industry is anti-vegan.

I know this topic has been discussed already but they are a few years old & I'd like to update this issue as per the current situation. There is a lot of bad news but a few good ones as well.

Tyres : The bad news? Tire rubber during production process is cured with stearic acid, stearic acid is taken from mostly tallow & many tire brands have admitted to using animal-ingredients in the manufacturing process though they don't go into particulars. The good news is that French tire company Michelin has confidently replied to multiple mails about using no animal-products while making their products, they also confirmed in one mail that the stearic acid is plant derived. If we can take their word for it I'd say its a great thing they're doing.

Steering/gearstick cover : For some reason companies today wrap even their affordable cars with authentic leather as default over the steering and stick-shaft. To them its a marketing point, to me its foolish as it not only costs more money to make, it supports an unnecessary industry as well. Luckily mine came with polyurethane-leather interior.

Premium cars : Most premium cars come with default leather interiors, there is no point in changing them out after buying as the demand has already been created. Leather is the most impractical seating cover for cars as it heats up quick, gets stained even quicker (due to its porous nature) and forms cracks in 5-6 years time. The good news is BMW uses Sensatec synthetic leather in their lower models like 3 Series and Mercedes uses Artex for their C-Class (as far as India is concerned). BMW also uses alcantara or synthetic suede in some models.

Makes me think if vegans are so careful about choosing what they eat and wear, their choice of vehicle could spoil it all and in today's time living without a basic 4 wheeler is difficult for most of us. Vehicles are also the sole cause of road-kill. Maybe vehicle manufacturers should wake-up quick to the rising demand of animal-friendly materials. I saw a video where a Bangladeshi leather-processing factory was dipping the cow skin into acid to strip it of its hair, bacteria and other impurities. The workers were working barefoot & bare handed, the waste effluents of acid+skin+hair were discharged right into the river (yikes!). The best part is where the leather was being shipped to - good old USA & Italy.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2015, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

For this and other reasons, I'm very glad not to own a car.
#3 Old 06-22-2015, 07:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Also leather seats are horribly uncomfortable - I just don't understand why people go for this. It's like a luxury that gives you no advantage (pointless!) If you ever wear a short skirt (or shorts) you know the pain of a warm sunny day and leather seats. You slip around on the seat. The seats have to be cared for (anyone else seeing irony there?) with special cleansers etc.

My car has an all plastic & fabric interior ... much less hassle.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2015, 08:11 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

I bought a small used car with no leather. I need it to get anywhere (terrible bus service), but it was amazingly difficult to find one without leather seats.
#5 Old 06-22-2015, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
I bought a small used car with no leather. I need it to get anywhere (terrible bus service), but it was amazingly difficult to find one without leather seats.
Really? I don't know where you live, but here, pretty much any car under $25,000-30,000 (new) isn't going to have leather seats.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 06-22-2015 at 08:20 AM.
#6 Old 06-22-2015, 08:47 AM
No flesh since 99'

We have never owned new cars, but I guess in the $3000-5000 range we paid for our cars, leather was never going to be an option anyways (not that we would want it). It just seems impractical, especially with how long a new car would last you (if your going to spend the $$$ for new, why would you WANT an interior that would look like crap in a few years?). Both my car and my husband have fabric/plastic/vinyl interiors, and at 14 and 17 years old, both interiors are STILL in nice condition and need little more care than regular vacuuming and using upholstery cleaner/wet vac on them once a year (though we don't eat or drink in our cars).
#7 Old 06-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessandreia View Post
Really? I don't know where you live, but here, pretty much any car under $25,000-30,000 (new) isn't going to have leather seats.
Agreed. The only issue I've ever faced is leather wrapped steering wheels, and sometimes, leather on the stick shift surround.
leedsveg likes this.
#8 Old 06-22-2015, 05:59 PM
Veggie Regular

My car does not have leather seats but I have no idea if the tires are made with stearic acid. Regardless of whether you drive a car, ride the bus, or cycle, more than likely there is going to be some part of that vehicle (or bicycle) that has something made from animals. There are rare exceptions. Somewhere I have a database of all vegan bikes but they are waaaay beyond my price range. I do cycle to work on average about four days per week and walk to the Laundromat with a load of wash on my back in a canvas pack. But I use my car for groceries and to travel to visit family or go on adventures. In winter I use my car more. Walking on hills in ice is not fun and my city is full of them. If I could tolerate the cold more I would cycle in winter but again scared of the ice.

If we are going to go on about detailed stuff that is made with animals at some point in the process, I think we should add computers and cell phones to that picture. There is not a perfect vegan in the world. We make every effort where we can.

I would love to see people drive vehicles less and cycle, walk etc more. I would love to live in a city that is more pedestrian and cycle friendly. Thankfully there are people working on that. Every day I cycle to work and around town I feel like I am risking life and limb. I have a love/hate relationship with cars. If not for having a car, I may not have been able to experience the beauty of the BWCA wilderness north of where I live, or travel to an all vegan grocery store in Michigan while vacationing there. I guess I live a privileged lifestyle and yes someone else probably pays for it. I can judge the person who lives with his wife in a three bedroom huge house on several acres and has a cabin on some lake that is lived in only three months out of the year while so many people are homeless or crammed into tiny apartments. But I have it so much better than the next person. I'm never going to be a total saint. But I have made progress over the years, and maybe as time goes on I will live a more minimal life. Done rambling on.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#9 Old 06-22-2015, 06:04 PM

I don't own a car and I don't know how to drive. Despite this I feel a bit privileged, at least because I live in a very good location where everything I need I can walk to and going out in the sun, despite my hate for the heat is -good for me. Plus I get regular exercise!

Though I do admit it is my own inadequacies that has kept me from learning to drive. Well that and a little bit of trauma I cannot get over. When I was in highschool taking a driving course my drivers instructor would scream at me and complain about how he hates teaching females It was really disheartening to watch him praise and encourage the male students while simultaneously faulting me heavily for similar mistakes. He told me that I was hopeless and that I should give up... so I did >_<

Sorry I used your thread to rant about myself. I still think it's awful that people who DO drive (and pretty much everyone does) can't always reasonably find cruelty-free.
#10 Old 06-22-2015, 08:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciBow View Post
Though I do admit it is my own inadequacies that has kept me from learning to drive. Well that and a little bit of trauma I cannot get over. When I was in highschool taking a driving course my drivers instructor would scream at me and complain about how he hates teaching females It was really disheartening to watch him praise and encourage the male students while simultaneously faulting me heavily for similar mistakes. He told me that I was hopeless and that I should give up... so I did >_<
I think you should give it another try today, with a different instructor. Fear & lack of confidence are some of the biggest reasons why people give up learning to drive. You actually had it easy, you worked on an automatic didn't you? Just the brake & gas pedal to worry about, when I turned 18 I learnt in a manual transmission so I had to worry about an additional clutch & 5 gears & even that took me hardly a week. You had an instructor who in his bias gave up on you rather than take the time to teach you properly. On the other hand you're not missing out on anything by not driving, you're actually being eco-friendly and keeping yourself safer. Just know that driving is very easy if & when you want to re-learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciBow View Post
Sorry I used your thread to rant about myself. I still think it's awful that people who DO drive (and pretty much everyone does) can't always reasonably find cruelty-free.
Owning a car isn't evil, the way the cars are made must change. Companies must use synthetic fabric as default in their vehicles, also tires must be made without using animal origin stearic acid & that's about it. The sad fact is that most of the people crave for leather & demand that as an option from the dealership, most of them don't even understand what "genuine" leather is, they just want it coz its "genuine" and the other option is a knockoff.
LuciBow likes this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#11 Old 06-23-2015, 01:48 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think the car industry is anti-vegan but there again, but it's certainly not pro-vegan either. It's just responding to what it sees as the overwhelming mass of its customers wanting.

I'm sure nobody in the industry sits down and thinks "Now how can we annoy vegans even more..."
#12 Old 06-23-2015, 01:53 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
I don't think the car industry is anti-vegan but there again, but it's certainly not pro-vegan either. It's just responding to what it sees as the overwhelming mass of its customers wanting.

I'm sure nobody in the industry sits down and thinks "Now how can we annoy vegans even more..."
"I've got it! A car shaped like bacon!"

"Stevens, you're a genius!"
#13 Old 06-23-2015, 08:07 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
"I've got it! A car shaped like bacon!"

"Stevens, you're a genius!"
HahahHa!

"Can we add drawings of happy piggies eating bacon painted on the side of the bacon car?
no whey jose likes this.
#14 Old 06-24-2015, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
HahahHa!

"Can we add drawings of happy piggies eating bacon painted on the side of the bacon car?
"Only if we test the paint on rabbits first!"
LedBoots likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page