Does watching other people eat meat bother you? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 140Likes

#1 Old 06-06-2015, 03:26 PM
Banned

Does watching other people eat meat bother you?

I see this a lot. Now, I have to say, it doesn't bother me at all. I have no issues with other people eating meat.

What I eat is my choice. What someone else eats is entirely up to them.

Most of our friends know we are vegetarians, yet I still find it kind of weird when they apologize for eating meat in front of us. I don't care. Who am I to tell them what they can and can't eat?

I'm not freaked out by looking at meat, or watching it be cooked, or seeing someone enjoy it. It's just not for me.

I feel the same way about hunting. I don't like animals dieing at my hand, but I would never tell someone they can't hunt. I do, however, believe that hunting is much more humane than factory farming and feedlots.

Anyone else feel this way?
holnrew likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-06-2015, 03:31 PM
Veggie Regular

The longer I've been meat free the more it bothers me, actually. I handled it a lot better in the beginning. It's been ten years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
#3 Old 06-06-2015, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

it does bother me. I wish my friends were considerate like yours.

I don't feel like i don't care what others do as long as it's not me. Because in the end the meat they eat is coming from animals who had to suffer. Nevertheless there's little I can do about it. I'm too selfish to lose company over this issue.
LedBoots likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-06-2015, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

It's hard to avoid others eating meat, so I've had to learn to deal with it without getting upset. I try not to focus too much on the food itself and just concentrate on the conversation or the tv or whatever other thing is available.
varun and jessandreia like this.
#5 Old 06-07-2015, 01:06 AM

I was quite old when I finally decided to return to being vegetarian and stick with it. I ate meat for many, many years and my OH still does. I do not judge him or criticize his diet and he extends the same courtesy to me. I do cook meat for him and feed my dog meat and OH cooks for me using seperate utensils, so I guess we bumble along together pretty well. I would, in my heart of hearts rather not see people eating meat but we all do what we have to do to get along in life.
#6 Old 06-07-2015, 06:59 AM

I also find that it's bothering me more and more as time passes. As long as I don't think too much a bout it, I'm usually fine.

What I do find bothersome however, is how people talk about meat and eating meat. It's like they're talking about a chair or a rug, not an actual once living creature.
Ashwani and no whey jose like this.

Last edited by rbbr; 06-07-2015 at 07:29 AM.
#7 Old 06-07-2015, 07:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbbr View Post
I also find that it's bothering me more and more as time passes. As long as I don't think too much a bout it, I'm usually fine.

What I do find bothering however, is how people talk about meat and eating meat. It's like their talking about a chair or a rug, not an actual once living creature.
In that vein, I think that a hunter has more of an appreciation for where the meat comes from than someone just buying a steak in a grocery store.
#8 Old 06-07-2015, 07:35 AM
Super Moderator

As long as people by food that commercially grown and sold at stores, or markets, they have no need to eat animals. More animals are either directly killed, even made extinct, from humans taking over this earth in ways no other animal comes close. Our homes, our stores, factories, fuel, plastic, mining.... millions more than our ancestors use of animals for food and clothing ever caused.
In other words, I don't feel any need to explain why I DON'T eat animals. Yes, it bothers me that others do eat them when there's no good reason. The only reason people can give is that grew up eating meat, and like it, not that it's healthful or neccesary.

It does bother me, but just like omnis don't think about what their food is, I have disconnected myself to feel the same. I see a burger and my mind first registars bean burger. I saw someone eating a brown thing and thought brownie, or cake. Then I smelled it and realized it was meat and I had to leave the room. I would have been alright if wasn't the shock, it's not like I'm not accustomed to meat, but it disgusts me. I do hold my feelings back, but it hurts.
#9 Old 06-07-2015, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
In that vein, I think that a hunter has more of an appreciation for where the meat comes from than someone just buying a steak in a grocery store.
What bothers me about hunters is that they are aware of the lives they're taking, and yet they still kill. There are very, very few that are mountain people that know the animals they kill are old and they hunt to supplement over winter, and have no other resource. Most hunters kill for recreation.

When people kill people they are judged by their mental state, or whether they acted in self defense.
#10 Old 06-07-2015, 08:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
What bothers me about hunters is that they are aware of the lives they're taking, and yet they still kill. There are very, very few that are mountain people that know the animals they kill are old and they hunt to supplement over winter, and have no other resource. Most hunters kill for recreation.

When people kill people they are judged by their mental state, or whether they acted in self defense.
Most hunters hunt for recreation and kill for food. I don't know any hunters that don't eat what they harvest.
#11 Old 06-07-2015, 08:40 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Most hunters hunt for recreation and kill for food. I don't know any hunters that don't eat what they harvest.
I didn't think I implied they didn't eat what they killed, only that they didn't NEED to kill for food.

I believe I would kill if my life, or others lives, were threatened. That would be justified.
Killing without justification is called murder.
no whey jose and custardpie like this.
#12 Old 06-07-2015, 08:55 AM
Banned

Quote:

I believe I would kill if my life, or others lives, were threatened. That would be justified.
Do you think you could kill if your life or other's were threatened? Do you have a gun available to do so?

I don't kill animals, and I try not to kill bugs even. But people wouldn't bother me, because if they are in that position, it's because they did something intentionally and know better.
#13 Old 06-07-2015, 09:16 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Do you think you could kill if your life or other's were threatened? Do you have a gun available to do so?

I don't kill animals, and I try not to kill bugs even. But people wouldn't bother me, because if they are in that position, it's because they did something intentionally and know better.
Quote:
Yes
#14 Old 06-07-2015, 02:58 PM
Beginner

Watching anybody eat anything is disgusting to me. Listening is even worse. This only goes for humans, though. I love watching the squirrels outside my window munch on acorns.

However, I do not like watching TV shows that show chimps hunting baby monkeys and devouring them. This is something they rarely do, but, come on, quit trying to be like humans. Damn posers! Go eat some plants and some ants off of sticks like your supposed to.
holnrew likes this.
#15 Old 06-07-2015, 03:07 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPigeon Swarmx View Post
Watching anybody eat anything is disgusting to me. Listening is even worse.
You must be fun at dinner parties!
#16 Old 06-07-2015, 03:27 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Quote:
You must be fun at dinner parties!
Haha... yeah, I'm a real blast. No, I was just entertaining myself by exaggerating in that last post. What really does bother me, though, is when people eat with their mouths open, or talk with their mouth full of food. Yuck!
holnrew, varun, custardpie and 1 others like this.
#17 Old 06-08-2015, 07:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Lol... me too. I can't stand to sit at a table with someone who chews with their mouth open or smacks. Or rakes silverware across their teeth.

I can eat while others eat meat, except if it smells strong. Then I get a little nauseous.
varun, custardpie and LCJ like this.
#18 Old 06-08-2015, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Couple of years back an associate of Islamic faith invited me to a party of sorts, he's the extremely polite no-nonsense type so I couldn't refuse. Upon entering I saw what I was sort-of expecting, many of them were Muslim & the buffet table was the stuff that vegetarians would instantly run from. I just made sure I was seen by people who knew me, had a Coke & snuck out of there without telling anyone.

I couldn't have gotten out of there fast enough, I generally haven't seen much of red-meat dishes or kebabs around here but that day I knew what would be in store so I barely glanced at the buffet for a second before giving everyone the slip. Its nothing personal or maybe it is, I cant be too close to meat.
Ashwani likes this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

#19 Old 06-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Veggie Regular

The longer I'm veg*n, the harder it is for me to see animal corpses, whether sliced up and neatly packaged in the supermarket, or cooked and on someone's plate. It's just so obscene.
#20 Old 06-08-2015, 10:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't mind people eating meat because I used to.

I know hunting is a better way to eat meat, but I hate people who hunt because they take pleasure in killing.
#21 Old 06-08-2015, 11:11 PM

I've only been "vegan" (I haven't touched any animal products, but have yet to get through the rest of my shampoo/conditioner etc. and I haven't been able to correctly identify all of my clothing's materials) for a little over 2 weeks now and the SMELL of meat, especially fast food meat... it's just awful. I have to cover my nose when my friends eat taco bell... :/

Quote:
I also feel this too. But this is because I have misophonia, which is a neurological disorder I've had since I was 11. Certain sounds like chewing/smacking/popping/crunching/slurping ... they all cause me psychical pain inside my head, and trigger a fight or flight response within me. I only realized it had a name within the past few years. But now even the visual cue of someone eating in the distance bothers me. Luckily my friends are nicer to me in that area. They try not to make sounds around me. And one of them has it too. He's even gotten onto me because I made a noise once. And I felt extra sorry because I know how terrible it is.
#22 Old 06-08-2015, 11:41 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciBow View Post
I've only been "vegan" (I haven't touched any animal products, but have yet to get through the rest of my shampoo/conditioner etc. and I haven't been able to correctly identify all of my clothing's materials) for a little over 2 weeks now and the SMELL of meat, especially fast food meat... it's just awful. I have to cover my nose when my friends eat taco bell... :/

Quote:
I also feel this too. But this is because I have misophonia, which is a neurological disorder I've had since I was 11. Certain sounds like chewing/smacking/popping/crunching/slurping ... they all cause me psychical pain inside my head, and trigger a fight or flight response within me. I only realized it had a name within the past few years. But now even the visual cue of someone eating in the distance bothers me. Luckily my friends are nicer to me in that area. They try not to make sounds around me. And one of them has it too. He's even gotten onto me because I made a noise once. And I felt extra sorry because I know how terrible it is.
I didn't know there was a name for it. I'm pretty sure I have this disorder. I walked out of a movie once because an actor was eating with his mouth open, making disgusting sounds.
LuciBow likes this.
#23 Old 06-09-2015, 07:47 AM
Veggie Regular

I, also, didn't know that was a real issue. I just assumed I had problems!

Sometimes I leave the table when the kids (and bf) are eating messy foods just so I won't get on to them so much.
LuciBow likes this.
#24 Old 06-09-2015, 08:06 AM
Chaotic Vegetarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by holnrew View Post
I don't mind people eating meat because I used to.

I know hunting is a better way to eat meat, but I hate people who hunt because they take pleasure in killing.
I prefer dealing with somebody who kills animals and eat them than with somebody who pays people to kill their meat. At least the first ones know what they're doing while the others just don't assume their cruelty. I used to say I'd eat chicken again when I'd have the guts to kill them myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bon appétit !
#25 Old 06-09-2015, 07:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuciBow View Post
Not me. when I smell steaks grilling , or chicken, or bar b que, I think it smells pretty good. I don't have any desire to run over and eat it, but it still smells pretty good to me.
#26 Old 06-09-2015, 08:33 PM

well I think a BBQ scenario is different because it's the smoke and all that that gives the food that smell. grilled veggies also smell divine!
#27 Old 06-09-2015, 09:07 PM
Beginner

For me it depends. some days I'm okay and have no issue while other days I feel nauseous and quite lietterally gag to the point I have to leave the room in fear of throwing up..

Envoyé en utilisant Tapatalk

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur

Last edited by LeThieu92; 06-09-2015 at 09:13 PM.
#28 Old 06-10-2015, 02:21 AM

I don't like the sight or smell of non-vegetarian food.
#29 Old 06-10-2015, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

it bothers me a lot, actually.

they are contributing to the exploitation, misery, torture, and murder of innocent, sensitive beings.

it is a complete and utter turn-off.

how could that not bother you?

i wish it did not bother me. i'd have more friends and more of a social life for sure.
#30 Old 06-10-2015, 07:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
it bothers me a lot, actually. they are contributing to the exploitation, misery, torture, and murder of innocent, sensitive beings. it is a complete and utter turn-off. how could that not bother you? i wish it did not bother me. i'd have more friends and more of a social life for sure.
It doesn't. I don't eat meat, because I don't like animals dieing at my hand. I don't presume to judge others based on what they eat. They have to make decisions they can live with.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page