VeggieBoards

VeggieBoards (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/)
-   The Compost Heap (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/)
-   -   Does watching other people eat meat bother you? (https://www.veggieboards.com/forum/17-compost-heap/180969-does-watching-other-people-eat-meat-bother-you.html)

Gmountain 06-06-2015 03:26 PM

Does watching other people eat meat bother you?
 
I see this a lot. Now, I have to say, it doesn't bother me at all. I have no issues with other people eating meat.

What I eat is my choice. What someone else eats is entirely up to them.

Most of our friends know we are vegetarians, yet I still find it kind of weird when they apologize for eating meat in front of us. I don't care. Who am I to tell them what they can and can't eat?

I'm not freaked out by looking at meat, or watching it be cooked, or seeing someone enjoy it. It's just not for me.

I feel the same way about hunting. I don't like animals dieing at my hand, but I would never tell someone they can't hunt. I do, however, believe that hunting is much more humane than factory farming and feedlots.

Anyone else feel this way?

karenlovessnow 06-06-2015 03:31 PM

The longer I've been meat free the more it bothers me, actually. I handled it a lot better in the beginning. It's been ten years.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rasitha.wijesekera 06-06-2015 11:17 PM

it does bother me. I wish my friends were considerate like yours.

I don't feel like i don't care what others do as long as it's not me. Because in the end the meat they eat is coming from animals who had to suffer. Nevertheless there's little I can do about it. I'm too selfish to lose company over this issue.

no whey jose 06-06-2015 11:50 PM

It's hard to avoid others eating meat, so I've had to learn to deal with it without getting upset. I try not to focus too much on the food itself and just concentrate on the conversation or the tv or whatever other thing is available.

mags102 06-07-2015 01:06 AM

I was quite old when I finally decided to return to being vegetarian and stick with it. I ate meat for many, many years and my OH still does. I do not judge him or criticize his diet and he extends the same courtesy to me. I do cook meat for him and feed my dog meat and OH cooks for me using seperate utensils, so I guess we bumble along together pretty well. I would, in my heart of hearts rather not see people eating meat but we all do what we have to do to get along in life.

rbbr 06-07-2015 06:59 AM

I also find that it's bothering me more and more as time passes. As long as I don't think too much a bout it, I'm usually fine.

What I do find bothersome however, is how people talk about meat and eating meat. It's like they're talking about a chair or a rug, not an actual once living creature.

Gmountain 06-07-2015 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rbbr (Post 3675033)
I also find that it's bothering me more and more as time passes. As long as I don't think too much a bout it, I'm usually fine.

What I do find bothering however, is how people talk about meat and eating meat. It's like their talking about a chair or a rug, not an actual once living creature.

In that vein, I think that a hunter has more of an appreciation for where the meat comes from than someone just buying a steak in a grocery store.

silva 06-07-2015 07:35 AM

As long as people by food that commercially grown and sold at stores, or markets, they have no need to eat animals. More animals are either directly killed, even made extinct, from humans taking over this earth in ways no other animal comes close. Our homes, our stores, factories, fuel, plastic, mining.... millions more than our ancestors use of animals for food and clothing ever caused.
In other words, I don't feel any need to explain why I DON'T eat animals. Yes, it bothers me that others do eat them when there's no good reason. The only reason people can give is that grew up eating meat, and like it, not that it's healthful or neccesary.

It does bother me, but just like omnis don't think about what their food is, I have disconnected myself to feel the same. I see a burger and my mind first registars bean burger. I saw someone eating a brown thing and thought brownie, or cake. Then I smelled it and realized it was meat and I had to leave the room. I would have been alright if wasn't the shock, it's not like I'm not accustomed to meat, but it disgusts me. I do hold my feelings back, but it hurts.

silva 06-07-2015 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmountain (Post 3675041)
In that vein, I think that a hunter has more of an appreciation for where the meat comes from than someone just buying a steak in a grocery store.

What bothers me about hunters is that they are aware of the lives they're taking, and yet they still kill. There are very, very few that are mountain people that know the animals they kill are old and they hunt to supplement over winter, and have no other resource. Most hunters kill for recreation.

When people kill people they are judged by their mental state, or whether they acted in self defense.

Gmountain 06-07-2015 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 3675121)
What bothers me about hunters is that they are aware of the lives they're taking, and yet they still kill. There are very, very few that are mountain people that know the animals they kill are old and they hunt to supplement over winter, and have no other resource. Most hunters kill for recreation.

When people kill people they are judged by their mental state, or whether they acted in self defense.

Most hunters hunt for recreation and kill for food. I don't know any hunters that don't eat what they harvest.

silva 06-07-2015 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmountain (Post 3675169)
Most hunters hunt for recreation and kill for food. I don't know any hunters that don't eat what they harvest.

I didn't think I implied they didn't eat what they killed, only that they didn't NEED to kill for food.

I believe I would kill if my life, or others lives, were threatened. That would be justified.
Killing without justification is called murder.

Gmountain 06-07-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 3675225)

I believe I would kill if my life, or others lives, were threatened. That would be justified.
Killing without justification is called murder.

Do you think you could kill if your life or other's were threatened? Do you have a gun available to do so?

I don't kill animals, and I try not to kill bugs even. But people wouldn't bother me, because if they are in that position, it's because they did something intentionally and know better.

silva 06-07-2015 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gmountain (Post 3675257)
Do you think you could kill if your life or other's were threatened? Do you have a gun available to do so?

I don't kill animals, and I try not to kill bugs even. But people wouldn't bother me, because if they are in that position, it's because they did something intentionally and know better.

Quote:

Originally Posted by silva (Post 3675225)
I believe I would kill if my life, or others lives, were threatened. That would be justified.
Killing without justification is called murder.

Yes

xPigeon Swarmx 06-07-2015 02:58 PM

Watching anybody eat anything is disgusting to me. Listening is even worse. This only goes for humans, though. I love watching the squirrels outside my window munch on acorns.

However, I do not like watching TV shows that show chimps hunting baby monkeys and devouring them. This is something they rarely do, but, come on, quit trying to be like humans. Damn posers! Go eat some plants and some ants off of sticks like your supposed to.

no whey jose 06-07-2015 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xPigeon Swarmx (Post 3675825)
Watching anybody eat anything is disgusting to me. Listening is even worse.

You must be fun at dinner parties! [emoji6]

xPigeon Swarmx 06-07-2015 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by no whey jose (Post 3675841)
Quote:

Originally Posted by xPigeon Swarmx (Post 3675825)
Watching anybody eat anything is disgusting to me. Listening is even worse.

You must be fun at dinner parties! [emoji6]

Haha... yeah, I'm a real blast. No, I was just entertaining myself by exaggerating in that last post. What really does bother me, though, is when people eat with their mouths open, or talk with their mouth full of food. Yuck!

mecanna 06-08-2015 07:57 AM

Lol... me too. I can't stand to sit at a table with someone who chews with their mouth open or smacks. Or rakes silverware across their teeth.

I can eat while others eat meat, except if it smells strong. Then I get a little nauseous.

varun 06-08-2015 08:28 AM

Couple of years back an associate of Islamic faith invited me to a party of sorts, he's the extremely polite no-nonsense type so I couldn't refuse. Upon entering I saw what I was sort-of expecting, many of them were Muslim & the buffet table was the stuff that vegetarians would instantly run from. I just made sure I was seen by people who knew me, had a Coke & snuck out of there without telling anyone.

I couldn't have gotten out of there fast enough, I generally haven't seen much of red-meat dishes or kebabs around here but that day I knew what would be in store so I barely glanced at the buffet for a second before giving everyone the slip. Its nothing personal or maybe it is, I cant be too close to meat.

Beautiful Joe 06-08-2015 08:56 PM

The longer I'm veg*n, the harder it is for me to see animal corpses, whether sliced up and neatly packaged in the supermarket, or cooked and on someone's plate. It's just so obscene.

holnrew 06-08-2015 10:20 PM

I don't mind people eating meat because I used to.

I know hunting is a better way to eat meat, but I hate people who hunt because they take pleasure in killing.

LuciBow 06-08-2015 11:11 PM

I've only been "vegan" (I haven't touched any animal products, but have yet to get through the rest of my shampoo/conditioner etc. and I haven't been able to correctly identify all of my clothing's materials) for a little over 2 weeks now and the SMELL of meat, especially fast food meat... it's just awful. I have to cover my nose when my friends eat taco bell... :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by xPigeon Swarmx (Post 3675825)
Watching anybody eat anything is disgusting to me. Listening is even worse.

I also feel this too. But this is because I have misophonia, which is a neurological disorder I've had since I was 11. Certain sounds like chewing/smacking/popping/crunching/slurping ... they all cause me psychical pain inside my head, and trigger a fight or flight response within me. I only realized it had a name within the past few years. But now even the visual cue of someone eating in the distance bothers me. Luckily my friends are nicer to me in that area. They try not to make sounds around me. And one of them has it too. He's even gotten onto me because I made a noise once. And I felt extra sorry because I know how terrible it is.

xPigeon Swarmx 06-08-2015 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuciBow (Post 3677161)
I've only been "vegan" (I haven't touched any animal products, but have yet to get through the rest of my shampoo/conditioner etc. and I haven't been able to correctly identify all of my clothing's materials) for a little over 2 weeks now and the SMELL of meat, especially fast food meat... it's just awful. I have to cover my nose when my friends eat taco bell... :/

Quote:

Originally Posted by xPigeon Swarmx (Post 3675825)
Watching anybody eat anything is disgusting to me. Listening is even worse.

I also feel this too. But this is because I have misophonia, which is a neurological disorder I've had since I was 11. Certain sounds like chewing/smacking/popping/crunching/slurping ... they all cause me psychical pain inside my head, and trigger a fight or flight response within me. I only realized it had a name within the past few years. But now even the visual cue of someone eating in the distance bothers me. Luckily my friends are nicer to me in that area. They try not to make sounds around me. And one of them has it too. He's even gotten onto me because I made a noise once. And I felt extra sorry because I know how terrible it is.

I didn't know there was a name for it. I'm pretty sure I have this disorder. I walked out of a movie once because an actor was eating with his mouth open, making disgusting sounds.

mecanna 06-09-2015 07:47 AM

I, also, didn't know that was a real issue. I just assumed I had problems! :p

Sometimes I leave the table when the kids (and bf) are eating messy foods just so I won't get on to them so much.

Ad Elie 06-09-2015 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by holnrew (Post 3677121)
I don't mind people eating meat because I used to.

I know hunting is a better way to eat meat, but I hate people who hunt because they take pleasure in killing.

I prefer dealing with somebody who kills animals and eat them than with somebody who pays people to kill their meat. At least the first ones know what they're doing while the others just don't assume their cruelty. I used to say I'd eat chicken again when I'd have the guts to kill them myself.

Gmountain 06-09-2015 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuciBow (Post 3677161)
I've only been "vegan" (I haven't touched any animal products, but have yet to get through the rest of my shampoo/conditioner etc. and I haven't been able to correctly identify all of my clothing's materials) for a little over 2 weeks now and the SMELL of meat, especially fast food meat... it's just awful. I have to cover my nose when my friends eat taco bell... :/

Not me. when I smell steaks grilling , or chicken, or bar b que, I think it smells pretty good. I don't have any desire to run over and eat it, but it still smells pretty good to me.

LuciBow 06-09-2015 08:33 PM

well I think a BBQ scenario is different because it's the smoke and all that that gives the food that smell. grilled veggies also smell divine!

LeThieu92 06-09-2015 09:07 PM

For me it depends. some days I'm okay and have no issue while other days I feel nauseous and quite lietterally gag to the point I have to leave the room in fear of throwing up..

Envoyé en utilisant Tapatalk

Ashwani 06-10-2015 02:21 AM

I don't like the sight or smell of non-vegetarian food.

cuberail 06-10-2015 04:34 AM

it bothers me a lot, actually.

they are contributing to the exploitation, misery, torture, and murder of innocent, sensitive beings.

it is a complete and utter turn-off.

how could that not bother you?

i wish it did not bother me. i'd have more friends and more of a social life for sure.

Gmountain 06-10-2015 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cuberail (Post 3678185)
it bothers me a lot, actually. they are contributing to the exploitation, misery, torture, and murder of innocent, sensitive beings. it is a complete and utter turn-off. how could that not bother you? i wish it did not bother me. i'd have more friends and more of a social life for sure.

It doesn't. I don't eat meat, because I don't like animals dieing at my hand. I don't presume to judge others based on what they eat. They have to make decisions they can live with.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.