Does watching other people eat meat bother you? - Page 5 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 140Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#121 Old 06-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,608
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel74 View Post
I've heard hunters say they are harvesting a deer. And that doing such keeps down starvation and disease.
Funny thing is, many hunters (at least around my neck of the woods) tend to go for the biggest buck, the healthiest animal, unlike predators that take the weakest animal because they are the easiest to catch. That healthy animal was someone's mother or father, and often young ones are left behind to starve to death. Hunters are hardly out to "manage" the herd and keep a healthy stock. In fact there are laws about what and how much of some animals and fish can be hunted as otherwise it often gets out of hand. Wolves are hunted in my state and neighboring state because they are a "threat" to livestock and farmers. They are labeled a "nuisance". And I can't tell you how many stories I have had to sit through and bare at my husband's church of the minister or some other church member talking about some hunting escapade. Rarely is it truly about food for survival or natural human need/environmental management. It's often sport pure and simple.


It does bother me to see others eating meat, but I am used to it and generally don't say anything while people are eating. My husband is still an omnivore but will not eat meat around me or cook it while I am home because he knows it bothers me. I really do find it upsetting. Years ago as an omnivore, I admittedly fished. I baited my own hook. It troubled me but this was the thing to do, and a woman doing it was supposed to be even more impressive and "tough". My Dad was and is a fisherman so some of that was instilled in me. But deep down it always bothered me. I used to think it was ok for my Dad because he practiced catch and release, but I don't find that any better now. I remember once my Dad pulled in a fish that had three other hooks in it's mouth already stuck there. Imagine the pain and inconvenience of that. That poor fish had scars and blisters on it's mouth and face.
leedsveg and no whey jose like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Naturebound; 06-12-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Naturebound is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#122 Old 06-13-2015, 01:51 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,325
Moderator Post

Can I remind members that promoting meat-eating and hunting, incurs an immediate ban on VeggieBoards.

Leedsveg: Moderator Team.
leedsveg is offline  
#123 Old 06-13-2015, 06:14 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel74 View Post
I've heard hunters say they are harvesting a deer. And that doing such keeps down starvation and disease.
They also say "I got a deer" and I took down a deer", along with other such euphemisms. "I shot a deer" or "I killed a deer" are factual ways of putting it.
no whey jose likes this.
LedBoots is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#124 Old 06-13-2015, 06:17 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
An egg is a good source of nutrition and is good for cooking other things. It does not kill a chicken to lay an egg, (or any other bird for that matter. My cockatiel used to lay eggs) A human egg is not the same as a chicken egg. It is not enclosed in a hard shell. It is not fresh. and, it is a human. Most humans do not take part in cannibalism.

Not eating eggs from a pet chicken makes no sense, since nothing dies when an egg is laid.
So, again, [I]did[/b] you eat the cockatiels' eggs?
no whey jose likes this.
LedBoots is offline  
#125 Old 06-13-2015, 06:48 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
So, again, [I]did[/b] you eat the cockatiels' eggs?
No, I didn't. I was surprised to see it. I thought she was a male for 15 years. Have you ever seen a Cockatiel egg? They are tiny. We kept it for a while because it was cute.

Asking if I ate it is like me asking you if you ate any grass clippings when the lawn was mowed.
Gmountain is offline  
#126 Old 06-14-2015, 06:08 AM
Beginner
 
custardpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Does something become a food product, by definition, the moment someone eats it? (Recipe ideas: spaghetti and "on the Ragu" sauce, Blood orange smoothie...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Elie View Post
When will we start serving bloody mary in a vegan's mooncup ?
These are possibly my two most favourite comments I have ever read on this forum. Kudos to you guys!

Sorry, I don't actually have anything to add. It's all been said and probably in a more eloquent way than I could ever achieve. Also, cbf dealing with all the numbskulls.
no whey jose likes this.
custardpie is offline  
#127 Old 06-14-2015, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,953
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
No, I didn't. I was surprised to see it. I thought she was a male for 15 years. Have you ever seen a Cockatiel egg? They are tiny. We kept it for a while because it was cute.

Asking if I ate it is like me asking you if you ate any grass clippings when the lawn was mowed.
How is that similar?
A cockatiel is a bird and you're the one here saying it's okay to eat birds eggs because they lay them anyway. I don't know, but I would guess a cockatiels eggs have simialr nutrtion to chickens eggs

In many cultures, and fringe parts of modern cultures, woman will eat the placenta after giving birth because of it's nutrition value. We would find it very wrong if hospitals were found selling them to others.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
silva is offline  
#128 Old 06-14-2015, 08:22 AM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,953
...and if you think they're similar because wild rice is type of grass it's still not a valid argument. No one cares if you eat grass clippings anyway
LedBoots and LeThieu92 like this.
silva is offline  
#129 Old 06-14-2015, 08:42 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
How is that similar?
A cockatiel is a bird and you're the one here saying it's okay to eat birds eggs because they lay them anyway. I don't know, but I would guess a cockatiels eggs have simialr nutrtion to chickens eggs

In many cultures, and fringe parts of modern cultures, woman will eat the placenta after giving birth because of it's nutrition value. We would find it very wrong if hospitals were found selling them to others.
I'm saying I have no desire to eat a cockatiel egg. That doesn't mean I don't like chicken eggs. There is nothing wrong with eating a cockatiel egg, if that's what you want to do, same as eating grass clippings, if that's what you want to do. Maybe they sell cockatiel eggs at the grocery store. I don't know, because I've never looked. They do sell quail eggs though, and I knew a lot of people growing up that ate duck eggs.
Gmountain is offline  
#130 Old 06-14-2015, 08:43 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
...and if you think they're similar because wild rice is type of grass it's still not a valid argument. No one cares if you eat grass clippings anyway
No one would care if I ate my cockatiel's egg either. What's your point?
Gmountain is offline  
#131 Old 06-14-2015, 12:59 PM
Beginner
 
LeThieu92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
No one would care if I ate my cockatiel's egg either. What's your point?
I don't care. I just think eggs are gross. Gooey chicken secretions wraped in a hard shell isn't something I would like to put in my mouth. I'll take those grass clippings earlier mentioned anyday. Though I would be sure to check for dog droppings before going to town on my lawn salad hahahaha

Envoyé en utilisant Tapatalk.

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur
...

LeThieu92 is offline  
#132 Old 06-14-2015, 05:53 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
No, I didn't. I was surprised to see it. I thought she was a male for 15 years. Have you ever seen a Cockatiel egg? They are tiny. We kept it for a while because it was cute.

Asking if I ate it is like me asking you if you ate any grass clippings when the lawn was mowed.
No it isn't. It is like my asking you if you ate a tiny chicken egg. Did you even think of eating the egg of your caged pet, or did it not occur to you because it is weird and unnatural to eat a bird egg, no matter what kind. And lawn grass is not edible to humans.

Last edited by LedBoots; 06-14-2015 at 05:57 PM.
LedBoots is offline  
#133 Old 06-14-2015, 06:05 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
No it isn't. It is like my asking you if you ate a tiny chicken egg. Did you even think of eating the egg of your caged pet, or did it not occur to you because it is weird and unnatural to eat a bird egg, no matter what kind. And lawn grass is not edible to humans.
No, I never thought of eating it. We thought it was cute, and it was really tiny. I never considered it was weird and unnatural to eat a bird egg, and I still think that it is. I don't think it is anymore weird and unnatural to eat a bird egg than it is to eat an artichoke, which is, you have to admit, a pretty strange looking item.
Gmountain is offline  
#134 Old 06-14-2015, 06:06 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
And lawn grass is not edible to humans.
Les Miles eats some before every football game.
Gmountain is offline  
#135 Old 06-14-2015, 10:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
mecanna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: North Mississippi
Posts: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Les Miles eats some before every football game.
And this man's delusional good luck charm is a reason for everyone to eat grass clippings?
LedBoots likes this.
mecanna is offline  
#136 Old 06-15-2015, 02:16 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rasitha.wijesekera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
An egg is a good source of nutrition and is good for cooking other things. It does not kill a chicken to lay an egg, (or any other bird for that matter. My cockatiel used to lay eggs) A human egg is not the same as a chicken egg. It is not enclosed in a hard shell. It is not fresh. and, it is a human. Most humans do not take part in cannibalism.

Not eating eggs from a pet chicken makes no sense, since nothing dies when an egg is laid.

I agree with this. But the problem with eggs lies when they are produced at farms. Most eggs come from farms.
LedBoots likes this.
rasitha.wijesekera is offline  
#137 Old 06-15-2015, 02:30 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rasitha.wijesekera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
OK, now you are getting way out there. Humans eating humans is cannibalism. To say we use other animal species is common in the animal kingdom, and that includes us. Lions eat gazelles. They don't eat other lions? Are they wrong? Porpoises eat fish. Are they wrong? Humans eat meat? Is it wrong? It's not something I would do, but it's just as wrong to judge other by your standards, which even you have to admit, is pretty extreme.

Lions kill for territory, are they wrong? Ducks rape their females, are they wrong?

Also animals do not run factory farms which are far worse than a lion hunting a gazelle.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
rasitha.wijesekera is offline  
#138 Old 06-15-2015, 03:23 AM
Chaotic Vegetarian
 
Ad Elie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Orléans, France
Posts: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by varun View Post
There are no extremes, political correctness is never present anywhere.. its each person following his/her own views and sugar-coating it. Debates are fine but we all have to remember that we have a single purpose on this forum, to advocate for veganism & vegetarianism. There's no point trying to segment ourselves based on motive, unity is strength.
Uh... I actually joined this forum to read what veg*s have to say, not especially because I wanted to spread my way of life. I did motivate changes in some of my friends/family way of eating but I didn't force it, except for my other half whom I strongly encouraged to not eat meat at home (now almost vegetarian) for the reason this thread has been started : erk seeing other people eat meat, that is not sexy at all.

We don't all have the same motivation to be here, our differences makes the conversation richer. I personnaly like reading Tow's posts because they show a point of view that is not very common here.
LedBoots likes this.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bon appétit !
Ad Elie is offline  
#139 Old 06-15-2015, 05:29 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Elie View Post
We don't all have the same motivation to be here, our differences makes the conversation richer. I personnaly like reading Tow's posts because they show a point of view that is not very common here.
The point of view that it's acceptable to exploit and slaughter animals to eat their corpses isn't very common here because it's antithetical to the very philosophy of veg*nism. If you're interested in hearing arguments from that point of view, you can easily find them anywhere else on the internet or in the world at large. This forum is intended for veg*ns, and someone who is physically incapable of eating meat but would gladly do so again if he could, who talks about how lovingly he "harvested" animals, isn't a veg*n of any sort and doesn't belong here. Veg*ns are a marginalized group and we face these violent counter-opinions on a daily basis. I don't think it's unreasonable to request one forum where we at least don't have to argue against murdering animals. Arguments within the veg*n philosophy? Sure. Arguments about unrelated topics? Absolutely. But please, if I have to explain to another "veg*n" that a head of cabbage doesn't feel pain, I'm going to explode.
LedBoots, leedsveg and varun like this.
no whey jose is offline  
#140 Old 06-15-2015, 05:35 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post
Lions kill for territory, are they wrong? Ducks rape their females, are they wrong?

Also animals do not run factory farms which are far worse than a lion hunting a gazelle.
Unless you are the gazelle.
Gmountain is offline  
#141 Old 06-15-2015, 05:39 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Veg*ns are a marginalized group and we face these violent counter-opinions on a daily basis..
Violent counter opinons? Violent? Have you ever had a physical confrontation over what you are eating?

Marginalized? By whom? Don't you have the exact same rights as everyone else?
Gmountain is offline  
#142 Old 06-15-2015, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular
 
rasitha.wijesekera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Unless you are the gazelle.

of course, but compared to the gazelle, the pig, cow and the chicken in factory farms have a far more horrible life and death under humans.
no whey jose likes this.

Last edited by leedsveg; 06-15-2015 at 09:20 AM.
rasitha.wijesekera is offline  
#143 Old 06-15-2015, 07:15 AM
Veggie Regular
 
varun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Elie View Post
Uh... I actually joined this forum to read what veg*s have to say, not especially because I wanted to spread my way of life.
Sure, and I being a part of the Veg*nism movement, naturally I'm sharing my views on the same & being here for over 2 years I've replied to many people, some seeking support, some asking doubts, some who just come here to feel like they belong. Not everyone can contribute the same way but when all views are combined the reasons to go vegan becomes natural.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Elie View Post
for the reason this thread has been started : erk seeing other people eat meat, that is not sexy at all.
That would be the general consensus of the forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ad Elie View Post
We don't all have the same motivation to be here, our differences makes the conversation richer. I personnaly like reading Tow's posts because they show a point of view that is not very common here.
I only said something quite obvious, the name of the website is Veggieboards, sure people play games and share their hobbies over here but in the end it is what it is, it advocates veg*nism. I may not be that good in English so pardon me but I only used the word "advocate", I didn't use words like enforce/ dictate/ bully / domineer / impose / tyrannize or any other such synonyms where the meaning would be that of veg*nism being forcefully imposed on people. In my limited experience of being a member here I've seen members wanting to run away from their families so that they may become vegan, some even wanting to shun society so that they may not be mocked. I feel a forum like this would help such people sort out their views & feelings so that they may learn to cope with external pressures/objections regarding their lifestyle, that is its true purpose and its well above any debates or enriching views.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

varun is offline  
#144 Old 06-15-2015, 09:06 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Violent counter opinons? Violent? Have you ever had a physical confrontation over what you are eating?

Marginalized? By whom? Don't you have the exact same rights as everyone else?
A grown man tried to force a slice of bacon in my mouth with 5 others laughing at the table. I was a grown 45- year old woman minding my own business eating a bean burrito. They were coworkers and knew I was veg but I never talk about it at work and am not vocal about them eating cheeseburgers.. In a hospital cafeteria. So yes. I consider that violence and bullying.

Marginalized? Every 5 percent of the population is marginalized.
no whey jose likes this.
LedBoots is offline  
#145 Old 06-15-2015, 09:36 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post
A grown man tried to force a slice of bacon in my mouth with 5 others laughing at the table. I was a grown 45- year old woman minding my own business eating a bean burrito. They were coworkers and knew I was veg but I never talk about it at work and am not vocal about them eating cheeseburgers.. In a hospital cafeteria. So yes. I consider that violence and bullying.

Marginalized? Every 5 percent of the population is marginalized.
That sounds like a battery. Should have called the cops.
Gmountain is offline  
#146 Old 06-15-2015, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Violent counter opinons? Violent? Have you ever had a physical confrontation over what you are eating?

Marginalized? By whom? Don't you have the exact same rights as everyone else?
I was referring to the violence perpetrated against animals, although, like @LedBoots , I have also had meat literally shoved in my face.

You might be misunderstanding the meaning of the word "marginalized," which is "treated as insignificant or peripheral." It doesn't have anything to do with legal discrimination (although many marginalized groups also face legal discrimination, which I imagine is the source of your confusion.)
no whey jose is offline  
#147 Old 06-15-2015, 09:53 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
I was referring to the violence perpetrated against animals, although, like @LedBoots , I have also had meat literally shoved in my face.
Wow. If someone ever did that to me, they would be lucky if they didn't get arrested or worse. I've never come across anyone like that.
Quote:
You might be misunderstanding the meaning of the word "marginalized," which is "treated as insignificant or peripheral." It doesn't have anything to do with legal discrimination (although many marginalized groups also face legal discrimination, which I imagine is the source of your confusion.)
If we go with the 5% number, then it really is a peripheral voice.
Gmountain is offline  
#148 Old 06-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
Wow. If someone ever did that to me, they would be lucky if they didn't get arrested or worse. I've never come across anyone like that.
To be fair, the people in my example were just kids. I went vegetarian at age nine!

Quote:
If we go with the 5% number, then it really is a peripheral voice.
This is true, but it's not insignificant-- and I've been noticing a trend toward vegetarianism among the greater public, so I'm optimistic that our philosophy is catching on, though I admit this might be wishful thinking.
no whey jose is offline  
#149 Old 06-15-2015, 10:10 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Florida
Posts: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
To be fair, the people in my example were just kids. I went vegetarian at age nine!



This is true, but it's not insignificant-- and I've been noticing a trend toward vegetarianism among the greater public, so I'm optimistic that our philosophy is catching on, though I admit this might be wishful thinking.
I'm thinking of asking the local paper to let me write a weekly vegetarian perspective restaurant review.
mecanna likes this.
Gmountain is offline  
#150 Old 06-15-2015, 10:35 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmountain View Post
I'm thinking of asking the local paper to let me write a weekly vegetarian perspective restaurant review.
That's a great idea! If it works, you should post your reviews here.
no whey jose is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off