My opinion - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 61Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 05-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ocrob37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 471
My opinion

I have lives on a plant base diet for close to five years. When I first came to this site it was such a great place to get educated. I stopped coming on here for a long time and did not remember why. I came back and realized why I did not come on here anymore. I will share my opinion and if you don't like what I have to say I am ok with that. In my opinion anyone that eats less meat is helping our society. You can be someone that eats less meat one day a week or does not eat meat anymore. I stopped eating meat because I think the industrial world of meat is really disgusting. I do it for environmental reasons and also do not want to support the cruelty to animals. I personally feel that health and compassion go hand in hand. My personal opinion is that many on this site are hurting the reasons why people transition to a plant based way of living. I come across people that are into labels and are very judgemental. It seems most are into labels. I find it odd when someone says they are now vegan after five days. This in not alcohol anonymous and we should not judge people on how many days they do not eat meat. I personally have a vegan diet, but I would not call myself a vegan. I would not call myself anything. I recently changed my way of eating to only be whole foods based with out meat or dairy. That does not make me Vegan and I truly respect vegans. I don't respect people that judge others because any less of demand for meat is good. It bothers me when someone says that they are vegan, but don't care about nutrition and eat fried foods and a bunch of crap because they are only doing it for animals. It is a little odd to me. Why not help the animals and help yourself? I encourage people to eat well for themselves and their families and not just do it for animals. Some people on here are so hardcore about their animal loving and forget that nutrition for the masses will help our over all society. It would be great if people were not so judgemental and encourage those that are not a title. I read so many posts and it seems people are more concerned about whether they are vegetarian or vegan. Who really cares? If you are eating candy and fried foods, but not eating animals is not a great way of thinking about things. If you get heart disease or a heart attack you are not helping the problem. I read a woman say that she is not in this for health and only the animals. I would argue that you may be helping the animals, but not society. Let's take care of ourselves so our overall society will benefit and also help the animals. I do not think it is mutually exclusive. If you are only into the label of being vegetarian or vegan then I think you are not helping. I am not vegan or any other label. I only eat whole foods with out meat or dairy. I do it because it makes me healthy and helps out our environment and the animals. This is my opinion and I really get frustrated when people get high and mighty that they don't eat animals and get judgemental. Let's teach our society how to live healthy and save the environment and stop animal cruelty. I am doing my part, but don't judge other people and have no need for labels. Just my opinion. Thank you for listening.

Rob
ocrob37 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 05-04-2015, 08:35 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jessandreia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 1,616
Your post is implying that if someone is doing it for the animals and not health, then it must automatically mean that they eat unhealthily. That is not so. If someone asks me why I'm doing it, health would be the last reason I would list. I rarely eat fried foods (maybe 3 times a month at most) and pretty much never eat candy.
And I really don't see a lot of the judgement you are also implying on here.
Why does someone calling themselves vegetarian or vegan bother you so much? It is what they are. Doesn't mean they are more concerned about labels than about helping animals and the environment. I don't go around telling others that I'm vegetarian, but others (family and friends) who eat meat sure do mention I am.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge


Last edited by jessandreia; 05-04-2015 at 08:51 PM.
jessandreia is offline  
#3 Old 05-04-2015, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ocrob37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 471
Hello

You are definitely not someone I was directing my post to. I am only expressing my experience. Some people on this site are very quick to provide a negative response to others about their quest. I have seen new people come on here that are new to a plant based diet. I have seen some be very critical comments. My only point is that a title means nothing and those that choose to eat less meat or no meat are doing a great job. If we could get the entire population of the U.S. or any other country to eat no meat for one day would drastically effect the demand. My only point was to embrace these people and not give them a hard time for only being or doing what they do.
ocrob37 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 05-04-2015, 09:15 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jessandreia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 1,616
"I have seen new people come on here that are new to a plant based diet. I have seen some be very critical comments."

Links? I really haven't seen much of that here, so I'm curious about what exactly you are referring to.
LedBoots and mags102 like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

jessandreia is offline  
#5 Old 05-04-2015, 09:23 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ocrob37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 471
My opinion

I can not give examples, but felt it when I came back here. I have no intention of disrespecting anyone. It was something I felt and hopefully I was wrong. I am all about sharing and friendly conversation. I just do not like when people are more into titles and how much you are of this than that. I think everyone on this forum has at least one thing in common. I respect that and embrace it. I do get annoyed when I hear people get high and mighty and tell people they are not something and give them a hard time. I really have an issue with titles. My impression since coming back is people being more concerned of what they are then the overall goal. My overall goal is to do my thing and be as healthy as possible and encourage people to embrace a plant based diet. I think it is good for everyone.
ocrob37 is offline  
#6 Old 05-04-2015, 11:54 PM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
I have lives on a plant base diet for close to five years. When I first came to this site it was such a great place to get educated. I stopped coming on here for a long time and did not remember why. I came back and realized why I did not come on here anymore. I will share my opinion and if you don't like what I have to say I am ok with that. In my opinion anyone that eats less meat is helping our society. You can be someone that eats less meat one day a week or does not eat meat anymore. I stopped eating meat because I think the industrial world of meat is really disgusting. I do it for environmental reasons and also do not want to support the cruelty to animals. I personally feel that health and compassion go hand in hand. My personal opinion is that many on this site are hurting the reasons why people transition to a plant based way of living. I come across people that are into labels and are very judgemental. It seems most are into labels. I find it odd when someone says they are now vegan after five days. This in not alcohol anonymous and we should not judge people on how many days they do not eat meat. I personally have a vegan diet, but I would not call myself a vegan. I would not call myself anything. I recently changed my way of eating to only be whole foods based with out meat or dairy. That does not make me Vegan and I truly respect vegans. I don't respect people that judge others because any less of demand for meat is good. It bothers me when someone says that they are vegan, but don't care about nutrition and eat fried foods and a bunch of crap because they are only doing it for animals. It is a little odd to me. Why not help the animals and help yourself? I encourage people to eat well for themselves and their families and not just do it for animals. Some people on here are so hardcore about their animal loving and forget that nutrition for the masses will help our over all society. It would be great if people were not so judgemental and encourage those that are not a title. I read so many posts and it seems people are more concerned about whether they are vegetarian or vegan. Who really cares? If you are eating candy and fried foods, but not eating animals is not a great way of thinking about things. If you get heart disease or a heart attack you are not helping the problem. I read a woman say that she is not in this for health and only the animals. I would argue that you may be helping the animals, but not society. Let's take care of ourselves so our overall society will benefit and also help the animals. I do not think it is mutually exclusive. If you are only into the label of being vegetarian or vegan then I think you are not helping. I am not vegan or any other label. I only eat whole foods with out meat or dairy. I do it because it makes me healthy and helps out our environment and the animals. This is my opinion and I really get frustrated when people get high and mighty that they don't eat animals and get judgemental. Let's teach our society how to live healthy and save the environment and stop animal cruelty. I am doing my part, but don't judge other people and have no need for labels. Just my opinion. Thank you for listening.

Rob
Seriously? I'm the woman you were referring to who went vegan for ethical rather than health reasons. You dislike judgemental vegans, yet you say that I'm somehow hurting society by occasionally eating sweets? I'm a healthy young(ish) woman with a BMI in the normal range and no current medical conditions, who walks daily, isn't taking any medications besides prenatal vitamins, and is 21 weeks through carrying a healthy baby boy. Explain to me how my eating habits affect you or anyone else.
no whey jose is offline  
#7 Old 05-05-2015, 12:09 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
I have lives on a plant base diet for close to five years. When I first came to this site it was such a great place to get educated. I stopped coming on here for a long time and did not remember why. I came back and realized why I did not come on here anymore. I will share my opinion and if you don't like what I have to say I am ok with that. In my opinion anyone that eats less meat is helping our society. You can be someone that eats less meat one day a week or does not eat meat anymore. I stopped eating meat because I think the industrial world of meat is really disgusting. I do it for environmental reasons and also do not want to support the cruelty to animals. I personally feel that health and compassion go hand in hand. My personal opinion is that many on this site are hurting the reasons why people transition to a plant based way of living. I come across people that are into labels and are very judgemental. It seems most are into labels. I find it odd when someone says they are now vegan after five days. This in not alcohol anonymous and we should not judge people on how many days they do not eat meat. I personally have a vegan diet, but I would not call myself a vegan. I would not call myself anything. I recently changed my way of eating to only be whole foods based with out meat or dairy. That does not make me Vegan and I truly respect vegans. I don't respect people that judge others because any less of demand for meat is good. It bothers me when someone says that they are vegan, but don't care about nutrition and eat fried foods and a bunch of crap because they are only doing it for animals. It is a little odd to me. Why not help the animals and help yourself? I encourage people to eat well for themselves and their families and not just do it for animals. Some people on here are so hardcore about their animal loving and forget that nutrition for the masses will help our over all society. It would be great if people were not so judgemental and encourage those that are not a title. I read so many posts and it seems people are more concerned about whether they are vegetarian or vegan. Who really cares? [B]If you are eating candy and fried foods, but not eating animals is not a great way of thinking about things. If you get heart disease or a heart attack you are not helping the problem. I read a woman say that she is not in this for health and only the animals. I would argue that you may be helping the animals, but not society./b] Let's take care of ourselves so our overall society will benefit and also help the animals. I do not think it is mutually exclusive. If you are only into the label of being vegetarian or vegan then I think you are not helping. I am not vegan or any other label. I only eat whole foods with out meat or dairy. I do it because it makes me healthy and helps out our environment and the animals. This is my opinion and I really get frustrated when people get high and mighty that they don't eat animals and get judgemental. Let's teach our society how to live healthy and save the environment and stop animal cruelty. I am doing my part, but don't judge other people and have no need for labels. Just my opinion. Thank you for listening.

Rob
Rob, welcome back. We welcome vegetarians here as well as vegans.

Ummm, your post was about not being judgmental of others who are trying to eat less meat, etc, but look at the statements I bolded in your post. All judgements. It is, in fact, about the most judgmental post I have seen on here in years.
LedBoots is offline  
#8 Old 05-05-2015, 12:33 AM
Beginner
 
custardpie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Australia
Posts: 121
I definitely haven't seen anyone be super negative or critical to newcomers since I've been on here? Have you considered the possibility that you are misunderstanding the tone of some posts?

Also, I think a great deal of people on these boards would agree with you that if any person were to limit their meat consumption to any degree, they would be making a difference. I mean, it would be way better if people stopped eating meat at all but that's a harder goal to reach and any progress is still progress. So, were you trying to make a point when you brought that up? Because I don't think I got it.

And labels are used for a reason. They help people to better identify themselves to others. Of course, the labels vegetarian and vegan have slightly different meanings to different people, but generally these terms say a particular thing about a person. I remember when I told one of my friends for the first time that I decided to go vegan, her reply was 'ok but you know, you don't have to use that label. You could just say 'I'm not going to eat meat anymore'.' But I completely disagreed. Telling someone you're simply going to stop eating meat doesn't let them know that you disagree with the treatment and exploitation of farm animals. It doesn't tell someone that you're going to stop consuming milk and cheese and animal-derived preservatives and stop wearing leather and choose cruelty-free beauty products. There is SO MUCH behind the label 'vegan'. Even though it doesn't mean exactly the same for everyone, it generally describes a person who tries to live ethically without the exploitation of animals. I want people to know that about me.

And how freaking annoying would it be when asking dietary advice on here and saying 'by the way, I don't eat meat, dairy, eggs and anything else animal-derived'. Why not say it in one word?

(fyi, I'm not speaking for anyone else on here, the above is just what I think of using the term vegan. There are loads of people here who don't care about labels and for the people who do, I've never seen anyone be all 'high and mighty' about it)
custardpie is offline  
#9 Old 05-05-2015, 01:38 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
For the record, I think it's great when people adopt a whole foods diet, if that's what makes them feel good. Personally-- and I imagine this applies to a lot of other people, too-- I feel best when I get my necessary fruits and veggies while still allowing for a slice of vegan cake or an order of curly fries. Mental health is just as important as physical, and a rigid and unforgiving emphasis on eating "healthy" foods is detrimental to my mental health. I've seen plenty of members here admit to struggling with poor body image, calorie restriction, and binge eating. Sorting certain foods into "good" and "bad" piles can make these problems worse for many people. This is a vegetarian and vegan forum, not a forum for health food enthusiasts. In my opinion, any food is "good" if it doesn't contribute to the suffering of others.
no whey jose is offline  
#10 Old 05-05-2015, 02:56 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
Veganism encompasses more than just eating healthy whole plant based food. It is a way of life that seeks to exclude as far as practical and possible the use and exploitation of animals in every area of life...from what we put into our bodies to what we put on them (food is not the only health aspect of veganism by the way, there are loads of chemicals and animal byproducts in many cleaning agents and shampoos etc that are harmful to humans, animals, and the environment) to how we treat our environment etc. It isn't about being pure and perfect at all. There are gray areas we strive to work to overcome...having pets and feeding them animal products due to the nature of their dietary needs...driving vehicles...taking prescription meds that may help keep us alive or function well etc. Being vegan or vegetarian is making a statement and living a lifestyle. It is not a club or hobby.

Also, I am one of those people who has battled an eating disorder (anorexia nervosa with periods of binge/purging when I was very very underweight) for many years, both as an omnivore and as a vegan. I ate and still eat very healthy, but at times restrictive or not enough. When I went through numerous eating disorder treatments, one of the ways to work toward recovery was to relax more around food and allow for occasional treats or what is perceived as unhealthy food. I still tend to be on the rigid side with food but do occasionally enjoy desserts or processed food. It doesn't have to be all or none. I think western culture in general has become very disordered as far as eating. Food is part of celebrating life. It is fun, creative, health giving. For humans it is more than eating for mere survival or physical fitness. When it becomes just that, it ironically becomes much more of an obsession and focus, trust me. It takes away the joy of living and focusing on other areas of life that are important...relationships, exercise, work, community events, news.

There is no one perfect diet. And different people, even among the "health vegans" disagree on what is healthy eating. Some say fruit is bad and full of sugar, some say cooked food is bad and unhealthy, some say oil or whole food fats are bad, some say grains are bad. What people call whole foods is even debatable. for example, would you consider tofu a whole food? Plant milk from a store with five or more ingredients? A slice of homemade bread made with processed whole wheat? Yet I have seen cookbooks promoting whole food plant based diets using these ingredients. So what? I have actually found some of the "health food" vegans to be just as judgmental of others by critiquing what other people eat and judging them as unhealthy based on that without really knowing anything about that person and how they live their life daily.

And also, promoting a diet that is very strict and rigid is not going to bring more omnivores to the vegan table, except maybe the very sick ones at the end of their rope (and sometimes even that isn't enough). Though you may have come from a place of eating a lot of processed junk food to a place of health, it doesn't mean everyone else is where you once were. When you become involved in an online community, you have to understand that we are all coming from different walks of life, different habits and viewpoints. Health is a loose term.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#11 Old 05-05-2015, 03:00 AM
Veggie Regular
 
varun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 338
Rob - There isn't anything wrong about your point of view, from what I understood with a quick scan you mean to say that while people must progressively improve their diet by eating lesser meat & dairy so that they benefit first by becoming better in health and also as a bonus, help the animal-kind too by not exploiting them.

Like your view I guess everyone else have their views based on their experience with people. I'm quite neutral though I agree some heated debates have gone on in VB but why not? I find debates quite healthy, passionate people debate because they want to communicate their point of view. If everyone agreed on only one path in this website all the fun of it will get sucked out. There are more meat eaters out there making vegans/vegetarians the butt of all jokes in cafeterias, restaurants, fast food joints etc.. and recipients of such attacks come here to express their irritation and calm down. Meat eaters have a "mightier than thou" mentality 99 out of 100 times when they see a vegan, so that's where the problem really starts.

Not all people are completely health-minded, that goes for people who stuff cheese hamburgers down their throat as well. People smoke, drink, take unwanted medication, colas etc. There was a time I lived on chips, pastries, colas, chocolates, ice candies & junk food (all vegetarian of course) its not because I wanted to make myself unhealthy, I just didn't know any better. I've cut them all out now though I still like so much sugar in coffee that most people might throw up, luckily I have extremely high metabolism. Veggie/vegan people are mostly already aware of the health benefits of such a diet so they don't talk about it as much and rather prefer to talk about its benefits to all life.

Lastly I think no view is accurate, people cannot ever be perfect so they do the best they can whilst making small violations to remain in their comfort zone. Views can seem perfect to some while to others it might seem extreme, there can never be a middle ground. I cant even remember how many times I've gotten into friendly debates with fellow veggie folk.
karenlovessnow likes this.

The earth has enough resources for everyones need but not their greed.

varun is offline  
#12 Old 05-05-2015, 03:50 AM
Veggie Regular
 
runnerveggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,862
Heart attacks apparently come from candy and fried food. Here I was thinking it was coronary atherosclerosis, which develops from a combination of age, genetics and lifestyle factors! I'm so glad I read this.
no whey jose likes this.
runnerveggie is offline  
#13 Old 05-05-2015, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
I'm always a bit concerned with the black and white outlook that some health food enthusiasts have regarding "junk" food: either you eat nothing but McDonald's and Oreos and you'll inevitably die of a heart attack, or you only eat whole foods and you'll outlive everyone else. The reality is that we all fit somewhere in that large grey area in between. I would guess that most of us eat a reasonable combination of whole and processed foods. They're not mutually exclusive! You can enjoy both. Additionally, people who eat an exclusively whole foods diet can still suffer from debilitating health conditions, and people who don't can remain healthy. Diet is only one factor in only some diseases. Genetics, environment, and luck have a lot to do with it, too.
no whey jose is offline  
#14 Old 05-05-2015, 05:39 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE USA
Posts: 290
Diet is only one factor in only some diseases. Genetics, environment, and luck have a lot to do with it, too.

True but eat your veggies, anyway, especially your greens. Lots of raw and cooked greens.

I think it's important as vegans to set a good example. For many of the people we encounter in our lives, we might be the only vegan they know. Rather than having them see us and think that all vegans eat junk food and are sick and malnourished, or sick and overweight, or whatever, we have the responsibility to set a good example and to make them want to emulate us. Then there will be more of us and fewer animals will be hurt.

I am constantly seeing people on the low-carb or paleo forums or blogs saying that all the vegans they know are unhealthy and eat garbage. I dislike seeing these comments and I wish that there were no reason for them to exist.

JMHO.
scwendy likes this.
cuberail is offline  
#15 Old 05-05-2015, 06:23 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
Diet is only one factor in only some diseases. Genetics, environment, and luck have a lot to do with it, too.

True but eat your veggies, anyway, especially your greens. Lots of raw and cooked greens.

I think it's important as vegans to set a good example. For many of the people we encounter in our lives, we might be the only vegan they know. Rather than having them see us and think that all vegans eat junk food and are sick and malnourished, or sick and overweight, or whatever, we have the responsibility to set a good example and to make them want to emulate us. Then there will be more of us and fewer animals will be hurt.

I am constantly seeing people on the low-carb or paleo forums or blogs saying that all the vegans they know are unhealthy and eat garbage. I dislike seeing these comments and I wish that there were no reason for them to exist.

JMHO.
I've never heard the stereotype of vegans eating nothing but junk food. The most common misperception of vegans in this respect is that we eat mainly salad. I suspect you've read differently because you frequent paleo and low carb blogs. These are people who are already fixated on their own versions of a healthy diet, and their assumptions about vegans have nothing in common with the assumptions of your average person.

If the aim is to be a good example for non-vegans, then it seems to me that a varied and inclusive diet is a far better option than a restrictive one. The vast majority of people enjoy treats. The idea that they would have to give these up in addition to animal products is downright intimidating-- and, frankly, ridiculous. Veganism has nothing to do with deprivation, and a diet entirely devoid of any fattening, sweet, or processed food is unattainable (not to mention unattractive) to your average person. I find that people are much more open to trying vegan food if it tastes just as good as the non-vegan food they already love to eat. Otherwise they view veganism as a "diet" in the way that Atkins is a diet-- and we all know how well people stick to diets.

Of course, the aim isn't to impress anyone-- not paleo dieters or low carbers or even omnivores. The aim of my diet is to obtain the nutrients I need, without harming others, while generally enjoying my daily life. It seems ridiculous to suggest that I never eat another candy bar just to look better in front of other people. I don't eat for other people. I eat for myself (and, currently, for my child.)

Quote:
Rather than having them see us and think that all vegans eat junk food and are sick and malnourished, or sick and overweight...
I'd like to address this quote in particular. It's a very good example of what I was talking about in my previous post. Why would anyone assume that a person eating, say, a bag of crisps is *any* of those things? Is it so difficult to believe that a person can easily eat crisps while remaining healthy, vibrant, well-nourished and well-proportioned? This line of thinking baffles me.
LedBoots and custardpie like this.

Last edited by no whey jose; 05-05-2015 at 06:32 AM.
no whey jose is offline  
#16 Old 05-05-2015, 07:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE USA
Posts: 290
I don't really frequent those blogs, but in the vegan sites I visit they sometimes provide links to horrible things that non-vegans say about vegans and sometimes I click on them. It's horrifying.

"Why would anyone assume that a person eating, say, a bag of crisps is *any* of those things? Is it so difficult to believe that a person can easily eat crisps while remaining healthy, vibrant, well-nourished and well-proportioned? This line of thinking baffles me."

Because they only see what's in front of them.
scwendy and no whey jose like this.
cuberail is offline  
#17 Old 05-05-2015, 07:44 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
I don't really frequent those blogs, but in the vegan sites I visit they sometimes provide links to horrible things that non-vegans say about vegans and sometimes I click on them. It's horrifying.

"Why would anyone assume that a person eating, say, a bag of crisps is *any* of those things? Is it so difficult to believe that a person can easily eat crisps while remaining healthy, vibrant, well-nourished and well-proportioned? This line of thinking baffles me."

Because they only see what's in front of them.
Non-vegetarians attack veg*ns because they feel inner guilt and turmoil. They know deep down it is disgusting and unhealthy to eat dead animals, but they have been so conditioned by society that they attack so they do not have to face the truth.

Some of the most verbal attackers of my veganism in the past have given up meat. Would they have done so without tasting my vegan chocolate cupcakes? Maybe, maybe not...

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cognitive_dissonance
LedBoots is offline  
#18 Old 05-05-2015, 08:21 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuberail View Post
I don't really frequent those blogs, but in the vegan sites I visit they sometimes provide links to horrible things that non-vegans say about vegans and sometimes I click on them. It's horrifying.

"Why would anyone assume that a person eating, say, a bag of crisps is *any* of those things? Is it so difficult to believe that a person can easily eat crisps while remaining healthy, vibrant, well-nourished and well-proportioned? This line of thinking baffles me."

Because they only see what's in front of them.
Well, those people sound awful, anyway. Why should anyone care what they think? Maybe they're in such a bad mood because they haven't had a piece of cake in five years!
LedBoots likes this.
no whey jose is offline  
#19 Old 05-05-2015, 08:57 AM
Veggie Regular
 
ocrob37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 471
Those were some very valid points. I was not intending to be judemental and just venting about the feelings I get when I read certain posts. I was not saying that certain people are unhealthy either or that it is bad to eat sweets or junk food every once in a while. At the end of the day everyone on here is contributing positively towards reducing the demand for animals. Some of us may have different reasons, but at the end of the day it is all positive. I will give some thought to some of the responses I read and see if maybe my post was unreasonable. The reality is that I was expressing how I felt and not trying to attack people. My impressions and feelings may be wrong but that is how I felt at the time and will see how I feel in the future.
ocrob37 is offline  
#20 Old 05-05-2015, 09:02 AM
Veggie Regular
 
ocrob37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 471
I guess it depends on which doctors you believe. There are several doctors that believe in a plant based diet and say that heart disease and diabetes can be avoided and even reversed with the right foods. Sugar, Fat, white flour, and processed foods all contribute to disease according to several doctors. I don't know if they are correct, but I have chosen to follow their thinking.
ocrob37 is offline  
#21 Old 05-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: SE USA
Posts: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
I guess it depends on which doctors you believe. There are several doctors that believe in a plant based diet and say that heart disease and diabetes can be avoided and even reversed with the right foods. Sugar, Fat, white flour, and processed foods all contribute to disease according to several doctors. I don't know if they are correct, but I have chosen to follow their thinking.

I believe they are correct and also that many diseases can be reversed on a whole-foods, plant-based diet without oils, unless the disease has progressed too far such that the pancreas is too damaged, or stage IV cancer, or the patient has extremely bad genetics for this particular malady, or whatever.

But "reversed" is a strong word. It's better to say "controlled."

Also very few people have the discipline to stick with such a diet--less than 2% from most sources.

This is another reason why most doctors give medications and do procedures instead of using nutrition as therapy. It generally works, but only if the patient actually does it. For life!
cuberail is offline  
#22 Old 05-05-2015, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular
 
jessandreia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 1,616
I think you need to figure out why you feel the way you feel about the website now, even because when I asked for links you couldn't give any examples/proof; said it was just a feeling.

One of your very first posts here since you came back was on the "What did you eat vegan today" thread about how people are eating too much processed food (which I don't think is true). That is again something you brought up in this thread saying it bothers you. From the sound of it, it seems that for some reason you took a dislike (maybe dislike is a strong word, but hopefully you'll get what I mean) towards people who aren't eating as healthy as you.
leedsveg and no whey jose like this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

jessandreia is offline  
#23 Old 05-05-2015, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
I guess it depends on which doctors you believe. There are several doctors that believe in a plant based diet and say that heart disease and diabetes can be avoided and even reversed with the right foods. Sugar, Fat, white flour, and processed foods all contribute to disease according to several doctors. I don't know if they are correct, but I have chosen to follow their thinking.
While I do believe that diet is an important factor out of many when it comes to the prevention and management of certain diseases, it is only one factor-- and not everyone is in such poor health that they need to eliminate these things at all! If you feel that a diet entirely free of sugar and processed food is the best one for you, if that's what your body needs at this point in your life, then obviously go for it. Others will choose the diet that best fits their own lifestyles.
leedsveg likes this.
no whey jose is offline  
#24 Old 05-05-2015, 09:57 AM
Veggie Regular
 
ocrob37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 471
I think that is reasonable. I look back at what I used to eat and put so many poisons in my body. I think reducing anything is a good thing. I think our bodies are pretty good dealing with all of the stuff we ingest. I have never been hardcore about healthy eating and am giving it a try. I have read so many positive things about eating a healthy diet. I have not seen a big change yet, but am getting a reduced belly. I was eating so much processed foods and did not even realize it. I am really getting aware of GMO's and want to make sure I am not eating them. Most processed foods have GMO's. Amy's frozen foods seem pretty good, but I am still trying to stay away from anything packaged. My biggest health flaw is drinking. I drink a lot of beer and it can't be good for you. It is so damn good though. : )
no whey jose likes this.
ocrob37 is offline  
#25 Old 05-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Veggie Regular
 
jessandreia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: ON, Canada
Posts: 1,616
From what you've said in your posts (not only here, but in other threads too), you seem to be the kind of person that finds it very difficult to moderate the less healthy food you eat; once you start eating unhealthy food, you can't stop. You need to remember that not everyone is like that; some people are able to have some control.
I, not to toot my own horn, tend to be very good at controlling the amount of the less healthy food I eat. The least healthy foods I eat are fake meats (and not every meal), and I cook with a little olive oil or sometimes a little bit of vegan butter (which I don't think will harm me). I pretty much never eat candy (except a little piece of dark chocolate every other day or so) and chips. I also don't drink at all.
So, really... I eat soy and olive oil (which you described as unhealthy in one of your posts), but I don't think I'm eating unhealthy at all. In fact, I would not want to. And I know what eating truly unhealthy looks like as at some point I was close to a guy who had really bad eating habits. There's a difference between eating unhealthy, and having a couple of unhealthy foods per week.
no whey jose likes this.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge


Last edited by jessandreia; 05-05-2015 at 10:38 AM.
jessandreia is offline  
#26 Old 05-05-2015, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator
 
no whey jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: West Sussex, UK
Posts: 2,671
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocrob37 View Post
I think that is reasonable. I look back at what I used to eat and put so many poisons in my body. I think reducing anything is a good thing. I think our bodies are pretty good dealing with all of the stuff we ingest. I have never been hardcore about healthy eating and am giving it a try. I have read so many positive things about eating a healthy diet. I have not seen a big change yet, but am getting a reduced belly. I was eating so much processed foods and did not even realize it. I am really getting aware of GMO's and want to make sure I am not eating them. Most processed foods have GMO's. Amy's frozen foods seem pretty good, but I am still trying to stay away from anything packaged. My biggest health flaw is drinking. I drink a lot of beer and it can't be good for you. It is so damn good though. : )
Regarding beer, what type do you drink? If you invest in a slightly pricey and satisfying beer, like perhaps a nice dark porter, you may be able to enjoy one pint rather than kicking back three or four pints of lager. Moderate alcohol intake can be a part of a healthy lifestyle and can even benefit you, provided you don't overdo it.
no whey jose is offline  
#27 Old 05-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
ocrob37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 471
Haha, moderation is the key. That is the one part of my life I am working on. I really enjoy good IPA's. I think a glass or two of wine is supposed to healthy. I have not become a wine person as of yet.
no whey jose likes this.
ocrob37 is offline  
#28 Old 05-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
I didn't go vegan to get healthier. But it ended up that I did anyway.

Aren't we lucky that a vegan diet just happens to be best for animals, the environment and our health? Even if we do eat processed and junk foods from time to time, we're still doing so much better than those poor sots who are trapped in the nutritional and emotional hell that is known as the Standard American Diet. And while we may have to put up from unenlightened idiocy on other forums, at least we know what it feels like to live our values.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#29 Old 05-05-2015, 06:30 PM
Super Moderator
 
silva's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 8,951
Hi ya Rob! I did like when you used to post and I'm glad you're back
I actually have an almost opposite peeve about "judgmental' posts. That would be the ones who put down people for eating processed foods, even when it's clear they're not a daily diet.

I eat much healthier as a vegetarian than I did before. I also love to cook and bake, and do a happy dance when processed vegan foods go on sale! I loved the fishless fillets and I never liked fish.

I find more people who react negatively to plant based diets because they don't want to give up what they like. They need to know that while their food choices change, they don't have to be bad. I'm now helping a woman transition to complete veg and the fact that she can have boca and gardein is a huge factor in her decision.

When so many eat SAD what on earth makes you think an extreme health oriented veg diet is going to win them over?
Yes you have the people who have turned their lives over with whole foods eating, but that's only part of the story. Most of those are hard to convince they shouldn't eat fish

If you're in it for health, good for you. I believe the vast majority of us are healthier than we were before, but not all of us want to put it as a primary concern
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
silva is offline  
#30 Old 05-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
ocrob37's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 471
I am so impressed with the responses and I respect all of them. I apologize for venting. I am very encouraged by the people who have responded. We can all disagree on certain things but am very happy to hear sane and polite comments. I am very happy with the responses and am very motivated to continue learning and absorbing the knowledge on this form. Very cool.
LedBoots and no whey jose like this.
ocrob37 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off