• 3 Post By River
  • 1 Post By Contro
  • 3 Post By Tom
  • 1 Post By mecanna
  • 2 Post By Contro

#1 Old 04-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Cows next door

The farmer across the street has started the yearly ritual of toting off the calves. He's got a smallish trailer so he takes one or two at a time.

The cows cry horribly. I can hear them from my living room sometimes.

I suppose I don't really have a point; I just want to get this off my chest.
Tom and no whey jose like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-08-2015, 11:28 AM

My house backs onto a farm that is only about 400yds away and I too hear them crying for their babies, heartbreaking! Today the field is full of ewes with their newborn lambs, I try very hard not to think about it.
#3 Old 04-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Impeach the gangster

So sorry you have to be witness to it. It's a good reminder to the rest of us of the atrocities that are committed.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-08-2015, 11:28 PM

You could be "that" guy and complain to the local authorities about the disturbance. If a neighbor can hear it, it's a disturbance.

"I hear screaming and wailing. Check that guy out." I wish.
mecanna likes this.
#5 Old 04-09-2015, 01:32 AM
No flesh since 99'

That's awful I am so sorry you have to be exposed to that.
#6 Old 05-11-2015, 10:58 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by erilol View Post
You could be "that" guy and complain to the local authorities about the disturbance. If a neighbor can hear it, it's a disturbance.

"I hear screaming and wailing. Check that guy out." I wish.
Question would be who was there first.
If it was the farm, then those that bought/rented right next to it have no leg to stand on when it comes to the noise.
Like the people around where I live, they build next to a farm that has been a farm since the turn of the century, then they start complaining about the smell of fertilizers..
If you dont like the smell, dont move next door.
#7 Old 05-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contro View Post
Question would be who was there first.
If it was the farm, then those that bought/rented right next to it have no leg to stand on when it comes to the noise.
Like the people around where I live, they build next to a farm that has been a farm since the turn of the century, then they start complaining about the smell of fertilizers..
If you dont like the smell, dont move next door.
Who was there first has no relevance to noise complaints.
no whey jose likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#8 Old 05-11-2015, 04:01 PM
Ankle Biter

You might consider taking some videos with the sound turned up and play them on social media. It might be good for those who don't consider the consequences of what they purchase to hear that despair.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#9 Old 05-11-2015, 04:13 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I'm sorry you have to witness that, Mecanna.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#10 Old 05-11-2015, 05:51 PM
Veggie Regular

This makes me so sad
#11 Old 05-12-2015, 02:59 AM
Super Moderator

Are you allowed to go comfort the mama cows? That would be my first instinct-- to go over there and sit with them, pet them, and speak in a soothing voice. I don't know if it would make a difference, but that's what I feel compelled to do just reading about this.
Tom, mecanna and Jasminedesi16 like this.
#12 Old 05-12-2015, 07:54 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Who was there first has no relevance to noise complaints.
As unfortunate as it may seem, it does have relevance to the issue.
If you move next to an established paper mill, no matter how much you complain about the stench in the air, the courts will rule in favor of that mill.
If you move next to an established farm and then complain about the fertilizer, the courts will rule in favor of the farm.
same with noise, move next door to a speedway then complain about the couple times a year that the cars make noise? guess who wins.
In this case, if the farm is established, and if it was there before the houses, then the farm is going to win in court.
I have cows on the farm behind mine, at times they are rather noisey ( think when the bull is happiest) I am at the point that I will open my windows just to hear them. The people on the lot next to me bought the lot about 10 years ago and built a house on it, they tried to complain about the noise from the cows. They lost.

Now if I buy a large parcel of land next to your already established home, and I move cows in and create a noise condition, you would have a very good chance of shutting me down, or forcing me to find a way to make it less of an issue to you.

so yes, who was there operating first does make a difference as far as legal rights go.

Dont take this a me saying Im ok with the treatment, Im not, I just understand how the law works in these matters.
#13 Old 05-12-2015, 07:59 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
As unfortunate as it may seem, it does have relevance to the issue.
If you move next to an established paper mill, no matter how much you complain about the stench in the air, the courts will rule in favor of that mill.
If you move next to an established farm and then complain about the fertilizer, the courts will rule in favor of the farm.
same with noise, move next door to a speedway then complain about the couple times a year that the cars make noise? guess who wins.
In this case, if the farm is established, and if it was there before the houses, then the farm is going to win in court.
I have cows on the farm behind mine, at times they are rather noisey ( think when the bull is happiest) I am at the point that I will open my windows just to hear them. The people on the lot next to me bought the lot about 10 years ago and built a house on it, they tried to complain about the noise from the cows. They lost.

Now if I buy a large parcel of land next to your already established home, and I move cows in and create a noise condition, you would have a very good chance of shutting me down, or forcing me to find a way to make it less of an issue to you.

so yes, who was there operating first does make a difference as far as legal rights go.

Dont take this a me saying Im ok with the treatment, Im not, I just understand how the law works in these matters.
She has no reason to believe a farm will make the noise of cows screaming.

Who was "operating first" only has relevance in so far as expected noise, smells, etc.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#14 Old 05-12-2015, 08:06 AM
Beginner

Just thought of this.
In Maryland for years people complained about the smell of the chicken torture camps. (Perdue comes to mind) Nothing could be done because the chicken farms were there forever, and as it turns out generated revenue and created jobs. Farms won.
Then the environmentalists got involved and pointed out that the chicken poop was causing a rise in the nitrate levels in the Chesapeak bay. The farms are now being forced to reduce their poop output, and they have to find creative ways to get rid of it. This also prompted other regulations on fertilizers, not only to farms but to the private properties in the state.
If in some way it could be shown that the Cow farm is producing a run off to a nearby lake or stream, or that it is compromising the quality of ground water, then its possible that something could legally be done.
short of that I dont see how it can be stopped.
#15 Old 05-12-2015, 08:11 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
She has no reason to believe a farm will make the noise of cows screaming.

Who was "operating first" only has relevance in so far as expected noise, smells, etc.
I would so like you to be right here.
but, you are not.
the courts WILL rule in favor of the farm.

If you look at a house in the flight path of an airport, lets say that landing path is only used when the wind is coming from the south at a rate of over 30mph gusts while raining, or some other silly crap.
anyway, you look at the house a few times, then buy it. After you buy it you suddenly realize as your dishes are vibrating out of your cabinets, that the flight path is a problem for you.. The courts would rule in favor of the Airport over you, they will rightfully say that it was your responsibility to check these things before you purchased. No different that looking at the schools, or the medical facilities or other factors before moving in.
#16 Old 05-12-2015, 08:17 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:
I would so like you to be right here.
but, you are not.
the courts WILL rule in favor of the farm.

If you look at a house in the flight path of an airport, lets say that landing path is only used when the wind is coming from the south at a rate of over 30mph gusts while raining, or some other silly crap.
anyway, you look at the house a few times, then buy it. After you buy it you suddenly realize as your dishes are vibrating out of your cabinets, that the flight path is a problem for you.. The courts would rule in favor of the Airport over you, they will rightfully say that it was your responsibility to check these things before you purchased. No different that looking at the schools, or the medical facilities or other factors before moving in.
I hate to tell you, but I am not wrong. I worked for a lawyer who successfully sued a farm for having chickens that were making too much noise, and the neighbors were complaining. Additionally, farms CAN be considered public nuisances unless they meet criteria set down by the legislator. For example, this is Minnesota's law: https://www.revisor.mn.gov/bills/tex...r=0&format=pdf

http://realestate.findlaw.com/neighb...t-to-farm.html

Quote:
The right to farm, and what it allows, varies greatly from state to state, so definitely check into the laws of the state you are planning on moving to. Be aware that many states treat existing residents different than newcomers. Existing residents often have many more rights, since they've been there for a long time, whereas new arrivals are considered to have "moved to the nuisance" and are afforded considerably less protection. - See more at: http://realestate.findlaw.com/neighb....9kg58Go1.dpuf
But that doesn't mean no protection at all, particularly if the farm is not in compliance of the nuisance laws of the state.

Quote:
If You Are Having Trouble with a Farm

There are three potential sources of help if you are experiencing a problem with a neighboring farm. First is the Department of Agriculture (www.usda.gov), which issues regulations for farms and farming practices. The second source to investigate is your state Commissioner of Agriculture, and any county farm agents your area may have. The final source to investigate is your state Department of Agriculture or Health Department. These offices typically receive complaints, and can offer guidance regarding whether the farming practice causing you trouble is legal or not.

- See more at: http://realestate.findlaw.com/neighb....9kg58Go1.dpuf
Tom, mecanna and no whey jose like this.

Quote:

Last edited by River; 05-12-2015 at 08:20 AM.
#17 Old 05-12-2015, 08:40 AM
Beginner

Ask Around Before You BuyIf you are planning on moving to an area that has a significant agricultural industry, it pays to really investigate the area before moving. Realize, though, that some farming practices are seasonal, so even a physical inspection may not reveal any potential problems if you go at the wrong time. Ask a potential real estate agent, check with any local farming groups, and find out from neighbors whether there have been any problems before, and if there are any seasonal farming practices you should be aware of. - See more at: http://realestate.findlaw.com/neighb....9J00d3Yl.dpuf
mecanna likes this.
#18 Old 05-12-2015, 01:03 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by no whey jose View Post
Are you allowed to go comfort the mama cows? That would be my first instinct-- to go over there and sit with them, pet them, and speak in a soothing voice. I don't know if it would make a difference, but that's what I feel compelled to do just reading about this.
That is a good idea! But I just thought: some cows don't much care for people (considering that people keep taking their calves away, etc), just as some cats and dogs aren't particularly friendly to humans. They're big animals, too, so I'd comfort the cows from outside the fence.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#19 Old 05-12-2015, 06:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Lol... yes, I've been chased down by an angry bull before.

I can interact with the two beside my house, but not the large herd across the street.
no whey jose likes this.
#20 Old 05-14-2015, 04:49 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecanna View Post
Lol... yes, I've been chased down by an angry bull before.

I can interact with the two beside my house, but not the large herd across the street.
running is good for the health
Tiger Lilly and no whey jose like this.
#21 Old 07-15-2015, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

That's horrible. I feel sorry for the mama cows.

It takes two to speak the truth: one to speak, and another to hear.
—Henry David Thoreau
My site
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page