Your opinions on eating eggs and bivalves? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By leedsveg
  • 3 Post By silva

#1 Old 03-07-2015, 12:41 PM

Your opinions on eating eggs and bivalves?

I'm just wondering what all your thoughts are on consuming bivalves and eggs.

I'm currently transitioning from a pescetarian to a vegetarian, but eventually I want to cut out dairy too.

I want to be a vegan, or some sort of vegan, because of my concern for animal's welfare. I don't want to initiate pain or suffering to animals.

Now, I know somebody who lives just down the road to me who owns a few chickens and a duck. She loves and cares for them, and I have seen her speak to them as if they are her beloved dogs lol. She really does love them.

She sells the eggs which they lay. The vast majority of which, if not all of them, are unfertilised eggs. The birds don't care for them, they just lay them naturally.

Considering these birds are not experiencing any pain or suffering and are laying their eggs naturally, is it really unethical if I eat these eggs? Personally, I don't think so. What are all your thoughts on this?

Furthermore, what are your opinions on consuming bivalves? Apparently it is a bit of a grey area as to whether scientists believe they can feel anything resembling what we'd call fear or pain, and I believe they don't have a central nervous system either. What are your thoughts on consuming them? I believe some vegans do eat bivalves.

I am very open to all of your thoughts on what I've written.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-07-2015, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Moderator post

Hi Richard

I'm moving this thread from the Transitioning to Vegan (TtV) subforum to the Compost Heap (the area of the forum where more 'sparky' discussions take place) for various reasons:

The TtV subforum is for those already committed to making the journey to veganism. Your comment "I want to be a vegan, or some sort of vegan..." does not reassure me that you are yet ready to make such a committment. Perhaps if/when you go fully vegetarian and cut out fish, you will be ready to take that step?

We currently have an ongoing discussion about eggs in the following thread so it makes no sense to have another thread discussing eggs at the same time: LINK

Turning to bivalves, we had a forum discussion on these last November/December LINK . If you feel you can add anything to that discussion, by all means do, although bivalve discussions can get heated which is again why I've moved this thread to the 'Heap'.

Leedsveg: Moderator Team
#3 Old 03-07-2015, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard_b2015 View Post
I'm just wondering what all your thoughts are on consuming bivalves and eggs.

I'm currently transitioning from a pescetarian to a vegetarian, but eventually I want to cut out dairy too.

I want to be a vegan, or some sort of vegan, because of my concern for animal's welfare. I don't want to initiate pain or suffering to animals.

Now, I know somebody who lives just down the road to me who owns a few chickens and a duck. She loves and cares for them, and I have seen her speak to them as if they are her beloved dogs lol. She really does love them.

She sells the eggs which they lay. The vast majority of which, if not all of them, are unfertilised eggs. The birds don't care for them, they just lay them naturally.

Considering these birds are not experiencing any pain or suffering and are laying their eggs naturally, is it really unethical if I eat these eggs? Personally, I don't think so. What are all your thoughts on this?

This is fine in my opinion. The biggest problem is the battery cages and culling of chicks in the normal egg industry.

Congrats on your decision to be vegan!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-30-2015, 11:29 AM

Ok well with chickens, theres the issue of culling, which you have successfully avoided (Yay!), so I'd say that's ok and you, in my opinion are therefore "vegan"

[Mod edited to remove reference to eating bi-valves. Leedsveg]

Last edited by leedsveg; 04-01-2015 at 03:19 PM.
#5 Old 04-10-2015, 02:54 PM
Veggie Regular

No: Vegans do not use or consume any products from any animal. So eggs wouldn't be "vegan" But I can say those eggs sounds pretty fantastic.
The issue I believe would be brought up is; that to get those chicks, male chicks had to be born and die. In the Chicken industry about 50% of eggs hatched are males (at least every single source I read about raising chickens/ hatching eggs has claimed that).
But your acquaintance certainly takes very good care of the girls she has, sounds like. So that would be what you need to eat them, and if you choose to do so, as long as you feel ethically right about them I think it's perfect.

http://haylieskitchen.blogspot.com/ (married to an omni so cooking from both spectrums)
#6 Old 04-10-2015, 04:25 PM
Super Moderator

Not consuming animal products is the first tenet of veganism.
I'm not against what your neighbor is doing, esp if you're in a small rural place where stores are scare. That's a very different world than in a city or suburb where stores are passed to and from work.
In nature hens often eat their own eggs to replace the nutrients it takes to lay them. In many cultures mothers will eat their own afterbirth.

I go to a local farm to pick apples that also keeps hens. Every time there is a scare of contaminated eggs on the news they're swamped with too many requests. I know they care for their hens very well, but it's the demand that's so wrong.

So many people now seem to get a mindset that if they just occasionally buy ethically produced food or goods they're okay, even when the vast majority of the time they don't.

As to bivalves--people need to to stop messing up aquatic life.
leedsveg, Naturebound and mags102 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page