Meat eaters- Is who they are also what they do? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By MozIsMyShepherd
  • 1 Post By rasitha.wijesekera
  • 1 Post By QuietVegan

#1 Old 02-26-2015, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Meat eaters- Is who they are also what they do?

We were having a conversation about living in a vegan commune in the activist part of the board because, and this is the short version, sometimes being around meat eaters is just too hard.

I've had a hell of a last couple of weeks. Non-vego stuff that's stressful has happened, but on top of it, vego-related stuff has happened.

On one hand, people have been utter jerks to me recently in relation to the vego thing. Who in their right mind offers food with animal parts in it to a vegetarian? WHO DOES THAT? I'll tell you, people I work with. I'm not sure whether they just forget, but it's not like I'm not very, very open about my vegetarianism. I don't bring it up in every conversation, but if someone offers me something to eat I say "No, I don't eat animals/eggs/dairy..." and if they ask why I tell them. How do you FORGET someone saying "I don't eat eggs because they kill baby boy chickens"? HOW IS THAT SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T STICK IN YOUR MEMORY FOREVER?!

On the other, some of those same people are also incredibly kind. I can see that they are. I don't blame them for their actions, especially when it comes to eating animals because I don't think they know they have a choice. It's been drilled into them that they need to eat animals, so they do this thing that runs counter to how they truly feel. I know the relief I felt when I went veg, it was unexpected but it was like a sudden "Good, I don't ever need to do that terrible thing any more".

I know we've had a similar discussion in what will go down in veggieboards history as "The Great Slaughterhouse Workers Debate Of 2015", but I'd like to open it up to more than just those directly involved in the animal's deaths.

So, while our actions can define us, do they always define us? Because, sometimes I do selfish things or thoughtless things or gluttonous things. I don't think I am selfish, thoughtless or gluttonous, but do my actions mean I am?

Last edited by Tiger Lilly; 02-26-2015 at 06:06 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-26-2015, 07:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
Who in their right mind offers food with animal parts in it to a vegetarian? WHO DOES THAT? I'll tell you, people I work with. I'm not sure whether they just forget, but it's not like I'm not very, very open about my vegetarianism. I don't bring it up in every conversation, but if someone offers me something to eat I say "No, I don't eat animals/eggs/dairy..." and if they ask why I tell them. How do you FORGET someone saying "I don't eat eggs because they kill baby boy chickens"? HOW IS THAT SOMETHING THAT DOESN'T STICK IN YOUR MEMORY FOREVER?!
To be fair, what other people eat or drink isn't all that interesting to me, unless it's something I personally strongly identify with. Plus I don't have a great memory anyway. In fact I still don't know most people's coffee / tea preferences.

If someone I share an office with refuses a bread roll because they're on the Atkins diet, or if someone else won't eat tomatoes because they give them a rash, or whatever, it's not all that likely to stick in my memory. I will remember if someone doesn't eat egg, milk or meat, because that's interesting to me.

I doubt they're deliberately being insensitive. At a guess I'd say your dietary choices simply aren't as important to others as they are to you and thus not as memorable you might suppose them to be.
#3 Old 02-26-2015, 10:21 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post
To be fair, what other people eat or drink isn't all that interesting to me, unless it's something I personally strongly identify with. Plus I don't have a great memory anyway. In fact I still don't know most people's coffee / tea preferences.

If someone I share an office with refuses a bread roll because they're on the Atkins diet, or if someone else won't eat tomatoes because they give them a rash, or whatever, it's not all that likely to stick in my memory. I will remember if someone doesn't eat egg, milk or meat, because that's interesting to me.

I doubt they're deliberately being insensitive. At a guess I'd say your dietary choices simply aren't as important to others as they are to you and thus not as memorable you might suppose them to be.
That's a very interesting way of looking at it and could be true for some.

To the OP. We all make mistakes sometimes, but generally I believe actions speak for themselves. If at the age of 40 you are still making same mistakes and you did in your 20s then surely that says something about you, perhaps it means you dont even think you are doing anything wrong, you can't blame it on lack of experience anymore

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Oh by the way that goes for veg*ns as well as omnis
Tiger Lilly likes this.

#5 Old 02-26-2015, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudulika View Post

Yeah, if I only saw these people once or twice around the office cooler I might say that's the case. But these are people in my team at work. We've had long conversations about animals and why I don't eat them and where I get my protein (all at their request). Food is a big topic for all of us because....well, we like food. So, it's not that they forget. The subject is brought up fairly regularly either through me politely refusing food (which we have pretty much every week at my work) or by someone asking a question about my stance on X animal issue.

I think you're right though, in that it's not a deliberate insensitivity..... I think they think they're just having a 'joke' with me. But I don't see it as a joke. And I guess that gets back to the original question, of whether someone is bad because they do something that's bad or whether their actions can sometimes be separate from that because of outside influences (like the ones that block our compassion).
#6 Old 03-03-2015, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

As the great Armin Arlelt once said,

Armin Arlelt said: (Shingeki no Kyojin)

I don't like the terms "good person" or "bad person" because it's impossible to be entirely good to everyone or entirely bad to everyone. To some, you are a good person, while to others, you are a bad person.
Tiger Lilly likes this.
#7 Old 03-04-2015, 03:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post

I don't like the terms "good person" or "bad person" because it's impossible to be entirely good to everyone or entirely bad to everyone. To some, you are a good person, while to others, you are a bad person.
Ahhhh... Attack On Titan, may it always bring us wisdom :P And have Levi in it because he is well fit
#8 Old 03-04-2015, 05:38 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post

could a serial killer be a good person to anyone?

#9 Old 03-04-2015, 06:21 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
What if they are vegan?
Naturebound likes this.
#10 Old 03-04-2015, 01:38 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuietVegan View Post
What if they are vegan?
God forbid! Omnis would never let that one go!

#11 Old 03-04-2015, 06:05 PM
Oryzatarian

Quote:
lol, one of the classical buddhist 'superheroes' is a serial killer who murdered 99 people and strung a finger from each victim onto his necklace and tried to murder the buddha before becoming fully enlightened. Angulimala
Some serial killers turn out to be cool.
#12 Old 03-04-2015, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
God forbid! Omnis would never let that one go!
They don't. Something bad that a vegan or vegetarian does? Must be because of the veganism or vegetarianism, couldn't have been any of the other numerous things that define an individual :P

But in relation to 'good' serial killers..... Dexter comes to mind.

And actually, the Attack on Titan series does raise some interesting questions surrounding what is a 'good' act and what is a 'bad' act. I have a feeling the next season will be quite revealing in that regard. I get the feeling that within that series there are people doing bad things, for a very good reason and others who are doing good things but for bad reasons (I haven't read the manga, so anyone who has please don't spoil it for me).
#13 Old 03-04-2015, 07:56 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Well, Dexter is not real. I meant like Brady and Hindley.

Yes a vegan can't slip up or it will be blamed on veganism. Was talking to someone about River Phoenix the other day. I said he was vegan his entire life, and the other person goes:"did he die because he was vegan?", me like:"what!? No!" Another gem for the stupid things omnis say thread I think

#14 Old 03-04-2015, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Well, Dexter is not real. I meant like Brady and Hindley.

Yes a vegan can't slip up or it will be blamed on veganism. Was talking to someone about River Phoenix the other day. I said he was vegan his entire life, and the other person goes:"did he die because he was vegan?", me like:"what!? No!" Another gem for the stupid things omnis say thread I think
Oh the real ones? Hmmm, well there are plenty of serial killers who do 'good' stuff. Whether they do it to hide what they're like or because they feel compassion for one set of lives, but not another, I guess is for someone else to work out. And there's a lot of psychopaths and sociopaths within our society who never become serial killers and might even be doing some form of good for the community. So, generally speaking, it's probably completely possible for a serial killer to do a lot of good, while still doing something abhorrent.

I didn't think River Phoenix was a vegan for his entire life, I know he was for most of it though. And yeah, any little thing to say "Well, it MUST be -insert the thing you're doing here-". I get that a lot "Are you sick because you don't eat animals?" No, I'm sick because you brought your flu to work and now I have to deal with it.
#15 Old 03-04-2015, 08:18 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Actually yeah, he was 6 I think.

I think if you were personally affected by something a serial killer did you wouldn't be looking for "good" in them

#16 Old 03-04-2015, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Actually yeah, he was 6 I think.

I think if you were personally affected by something a serial killer did you wouldn't be looking for "good" in them
True, but the question was not whether "if you're personally affected by a serial killer, should you look for the 'good' in them?", the question was whether a serial killer could be a good person to anyone. Those are different questions and therefore have different answers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page