Eggs, eggs, eggs. Do you eat eggs? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 35Likes

#1 Old 02-13-2015, 08:44 AM
Beginner

Eggs, eggs, eggs. Do you eat eggs?

This would be directed more toward vegetarians than vegans on the forum, however oblivious everyone should feel free to comment.

I was wondering who here eats eggs? How to you define your vegetarianism? I have a weird (I guess) definition. I don't drink milk (use soy/coconut/cashew or almond milk/creamers), but eat cheese, and I eat eggs. I am trying to convert to vegan cheese slowly. Yet I can't seem to give up eggs. I eat the cage-free, free-run, organically fed eggs. I guess that the "best" form of eggs that has the least amount of cruelty. But in reality hens who no longer produce eggs aren't humanly released, they are killed. And male chicks are killed so it's not humane no matter how "good" the marketing initially makes me feel.

What are your opinion on eggs? Are there brands of eggs that come from farms that don't kill roosters and old hens that also do cage-free, organically fed and free-range production? If so what are those brands (and country they are found).

LeThieu92
Amour sans question, amour simple, amour pour le coeur

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-13-2015, 11:36 AM
Vegan Newbie 2016

I am vegetarian. Its weird I will be totally grossed out by eggs for months (chickens periods I read once...yuck!) and then I will get a craving for an egg over easy. I am in a similar situation as you are. I dont drink milk, but I still have cheese and eggs sometimes- its not even all the time. I am noticing the older I get the more my body has a harder time digesting cheese and eggs- its almost not worth it the day after eating them for me.
#3 Old 02-13-2015, 02:55 PM

I used to, but I stopped eating them for 2 weeks and now my body has a hard time digesting it. I feel queasy. So long story short, no.

You never know where the road will take you. You never know what you can do once you truly try!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-13-2015, 02:57 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefox View Post
I am vegetarian. Its weird I will be totally grossed out by eggs for months (chickens periods I read once...yuck!) and then I will get a craving for an egg over easy. I am in a similar situation as you are. I dont drink milk, but I still have cheese and eggs sometimes- its not even all the time. I am noticing the older I get the more my body has a harder time digesting cheese and eggs- its almost not worth it the day after eating them for me.

Okay chicken periods ? Well I may have that stuck in my head from now on and then never be able to put eggs in my mouth! Lmao hahahahahahaha

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

LeThieu92

#5 Old 02-13-2015, 05:40 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeThieu92 View Post
This would be directed more toward vegetarians than vegans on the forum, however oblivious everyone should feel free to comment.

I was wondering who here eats eggs? How to you define your vegetarianism? I have a weird (I guess) definition. I don't drink milk (use soy/coconut/cashew or almond milk/creamers), but eat cheese, and I eat eggs. I am trying to convert to vegan cheese slowly. Yet I can't seem to give up eggs. I eat the cage-free, free-run, organically fed eggs. I guess that the "best" form of eggs that has the least amount of cruelty. But in reality hens who no longer produce eggs aren't humanly released, they are killed. And male chicks are killed so it's not humane no matter how "good" the marketing initially makes me feel.

What are your opinion on eggs? Are there brands of eggs that come from farms that don't kill roosters and old hens that also do cage-free, organically fed and free-range production? If so what are those brands (and country they are found).
I don't eat eggs for the reasons that you outline in your second paragraph...

There is no such thing as an "ethical egg" I'm afraid
Lunearia and David3 like this.

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#6 Old 02-14-2015, 08:26 AM
Don't Eat Animals.

When I was a vegetarian, (before going vegan), I would eat eggs.....until I watched the following.

Also, I learned that this one opening handles all the excretions (feces, urine, eggs) that come out of the chicken.
MozIsMyShepherd likes this.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#7 Old 02-14-2015, 10:51 AM
Vegan Newbie 2016

thanks vegan dave, I cant even watch the video, just the still preview image is enough for me! you know, we had two chickens growing up and they had awesome lives on 2 acres in Maine. we used to get little eggs from our hen. as a kid I never was grossed out by it. this forum may make a vegan out of me yet!
#8 Old 02-14-2015, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat eggs or dairy, but I still term myself a 'vegetarian'. I go usually clarify by saying 'strict' vegetarian, mainly because I just don't see myself as a vegan. I still consume honey and there's probably a few other things that make me shy away from the 'vegan' label at the moment.

As far as the ethics on eggs? I'd eat them (one of the reasons I won't call myself a vegan) only if I knew where they lived was a good place for them and that they wouldn't be killed if they stopped laying. Those are some pretty strict guidelines, so I doubt I'll be eating eggs again any time soon.

I'm not so fussed with the whole "chicken period" thing...I mean, I used to eat pigs back fat (also known as bacon), so it's okay by me. It's when people tell me "it's an UNBORN CHICKEN" that I get really annoyed. Unless there's a rooster involved, it's not an unborn chicken because that's not the way reproduction works.

If you eat eggs, but not dairy, you're technically an 'ovo-vegetarian'.

#9 Old 02-14-2015, 08:28 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplefox View Post
thanks vegan dave, I cant even watch the video, just the still preview image is enough for me! you know, we had two chickens growing up and they had awesome lives on 2 acres in Maine. we used to get little eggs from our hen. as a kid I never was grossed out by it. this forum may make a vegan out of me yet!
Having some chickens would be a hoot!!! I know some people that have some & they love it.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.
#10 Old 02-15-2015, 05:18 AM
Beginner

I've got a few animals (cows and chickens). I drink their milk and eat their eggs, because the way I see it, all they're after is some food and shelter, which I provide in exchange for their products.

You can't tell me they've got big dreams that I'm holding them back from and I'm not convinced that the amount I eat is harmful to my health or anything.
#11 Old 02-15-2015, 05:39 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegan Dave View Post
When I was a vegetarian, (before going vegan), I would eat eggs.....until I watched the following.

http://youtu.be/RAiTOuSyJsQ

Also, I learned that this one opening handles all the excretions (feces, urine, eggs) that come out of the chicken.
Priceless

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#12 Old 02-15-2015, 05:49 AM
Lovable misanthrope

I don't eat eggs, it's cruel just like any other form of animal exploitation. Saying that my children still eat them 2-3 times a month, so I buy organic ones. In the UK organic eggs are produced following strict guidelines on how they are bread, treated, what they are fed etc. so in the UK organic free range eggs are the least evil ones. Free range non organic chicks still have their beaks cut off unlike the organic ones. I take it you are in France so I'm sorry I can't comment on whether same welfare standards apply, but it's something you could look into

#13 Old 02-15-2015, 06:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Moderator post

I know that the OP says that the thread "is more directed towards vegetarians than vegans on the forum " but it really looks to me as though vegetarians were/are being asked to supply opinions as targets, ready to be shot down by contrary vegan opinions. This is not the purpose of the Vegetarian Support Forum and so I'm moving the thread and further discussion to the Compost Heap.

Leedsveg:Moderator Team

Last edited by leedsveg; 02-17-2015 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Correcting poorly worded original version.
#14 Old 02-15-2015, 02:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Uh oh. I hope this doesn't turn into another cloaca-themed poetry thread.

Unfortunately, back when I was considering becoming vegan, I was never able to find any kind of farm that keeps hens and roosters in their old age. I know some people who are otherwise vegan will eat eggs from backyard chickens, but this is a little questionable to me. Backyard chickens are not necessarily kept well uniformly, and most cities will not allow you to keep a rooster so the issue of what happens to the male chicks is still a problem.

The only reasonably good scenario I could come up with for ethical egg production is from rescued hens who are well looked after and allowed space and appropriate social interactions. Even so, I'd rather give those eggs to someone who eats eggs on a regular basis, since I don't really miss eggs, and if I gave them away it might prevent that person from buying additional eggs.
#15 Old 02-15-2015, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

No I don't eat eggs. I am allergic to them. Besides that, eggs totally gross me out. I know that many consider eggs to be vegetarian items, but I don't; since I think of them as basically chicken embryos.
MozIsMyShepherd likes this.
#16 Old 02-15-2015, 04:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I do not consume eggs and haven't for over four years.

Question for the original poster though, LeThieu92,

Why is it hard to give up eggs? Is it the taste, the convenience in cooking and baking, or the nutrition? Or is there some other reason? Are you interested in giving them up or are you content to consume them? Just curious.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#17 Old 02-15-2015, 09:22 PM
Vegan as f**k

Egg production = male chick mass murder...Male chicks are either macerated or gassed.

Warning: This is a very explicit photo of thousands of male chicks who have been killed so please only press the SHOW button if you really want/need to see it

Spoiler

Last edited by leedsveg; 02-17-2015 at 08:35 AM.
#18 Old 02-16-2015, 03:12 PM

No, since there's a vast amount of suffering involved in egg production. Like the poster above mentioned the male chickens are ground up or suffocated while fully conscious, and 90% the hens in America are kept inawful tiny wire battery cages for over a year before they're slaughtered. Even the more "humane" egg farms are still often very crowded, they still cut the beaks off of the hens, and they still cull the male chicks and kill the hens after their production drops off.
#19 Old 02-16-2015, 04:41 PM

Don't be fooled by "free range" labels. In the United States that could mean 10,000 chickens in a shed with one small opening for them to go outside, so technically, the birds are "free" to go outside. At least if they know about one small opening in the shed that they would have to fight through thousands of other chickens to reach.
#20 Old 02-17-2015, 04:19 AM

The egg is a precious natural gift for us, There is no substitute of egg. If you know proper benefits of egg, then you never skip to eat it.
#21 Old 02-17-2015, 04:33 AM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfishkin View Post
The egg is a precious natural gift for us, There is no substitute of egg. If you know proper benefits of egg, then you never skip to eat it.
Animal parts/ secretions are not gifts for humans...They exist soley for the benefit of the animal that produced them...
MozIsMyShepherd and Ashwani like this.
#22 Old 02-17-2015, 06:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Moderator post

I know that the OP says that the thread "is more directed towards vegetarians than vegans on the forum " but it really looks to me as though vegetarians were/are being asked to supply opinions and become targets, ready to be shot down by contrary vegan views. This is not the purpose of the Vegetarian Support Forum and so I'm moving the thread and further discussion to the Compost Heap.

Leedsveg:Moderator Team

But isn't it more like a presentation of facts, rather than shooting down someone personally? I don't think any of them were personal attacks.
#23 Old 02-17-2015, 06:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesfishkin View Post

I don't think anybody here disregards eggs because they are not nutritious. more so because the industry is cruel to the chickens that produce it.
Tom and scwendy like this.
#24 Old 02-17-2015, 07:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post
But isn't it more like a presentation of facts, rather than shooting down someone personally? I don't think any of them were personal attacks.
Yes rw, I totally agree that personal attacks had not been made and my moderator message should have said opinions as targets, rather than suggesting members as targets. I'm sorry about that and thanks for giving me the opportunity to look at what I said and to put it right.

The case remains though that the Vegetarian Support Forum is not the right area for veggies and vegans to exchange contrary views ("presentation of facts"?) over cruelties in egg/milk/honey etc production. And even in the Compost Heap where the discussion continues, personal attacks, being against VeggieBoard's rules, are not allowed.
Tom likes this.
#25 Old 02-17-2015, 08:15 AM

I'm a vegetarian & I don't eat eggs. Earlier, I used to eat eggs, but somehow I quit eating them around ten years back. Now I feel happy.
#26 Old 02-17-2015, 12:41 PM
Vegan Newbie 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Yes rw, I totally agree that personal attacks had not been made and my moderator message should have said opinions as targets, rather than suggesting members as targets. I'm sorry about that and thanks for giving me the opportunity to look at what I said and to put it right.

The case remains though that the Vegetarian Support Forum is not the right area for veggies and vegans to exchange contrary views ("presentation of facts"?) over cruelties in egg/milk/honey etc production. And even in the Compost Heap where the discussion continues, personal attacks, being against VeggieBoard's rules, are not allowed.

Just want to say thank you to the mods for running an open minded, very free spirited forum, but also making sure everything stays cordial! Also I am thankful that there is a vegetarian section and a vegan section, I am enjoying bouncing back and forth between both and learning a lot!
LedBoots and Tiger Lilly like this.
#27 Old 02-18-2015, 03:53 AM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by AshwaniKantroo View Post
I'm a vegetarian & I don't eat eggs. Earlier, I used to eat eggs, but somehow I quit eating them around ten years back. Now I feel happy.
Awesome! I think being veggie makes you happier actually
#28 Old 02-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
Awesome! I think being veggie makes you happier actually
I think so too. I'm much calmer now and feel more content, hope it lasts

#29 Old 03-06-2015, 09:32 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
I do not consume eggs and haven't for over four years.

Question for the original poster though, LeThieu92,

Why is it hard to give up eggs? Is it the taste, the convenience in cooking and baking, or the nutrition? Or is there some other reason? Are you interested in giving them up or are you content to consume them? Just curious.

Since posting this I have made great progress in not eating eggs. I wanted (and still do) to go vegan so I'm systematically tackling one hurdle at a time . Thanks for asking!

Naturebound likes this.

LeThieu92

#30 Old 03-06-2015, 09:34 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post

I agree with your response to that other post. I wasn't setting people up for attacks. I was curious to know people's thoughts as I was curious. To see their opinions, get some facts and stories is all.

LeThieu92

Tags
eggs

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page