Are slaughter-house workers bad people? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 166Likes

#1 Old 02-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Vegan as f**k

Are slaughter-house workers bad people?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
Also, even if you don't take the non-human animal cost into account, the human cost of raising animals in factory farms and slaughtering them in industrial abattoirs is huge. The human cost alone, given that there's a better chance of drug and domestic abuse amongst abattoir workers, should be enough for anyone who believes in Human Rights to give up eating animals at the very least.
This is a good point...It makes you think, what motivates people to work in slaughterhouses in the first place? Desperation perhaps?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-04-2015, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
This is a good point...It makes you think, what motivates people to work in slaughterhouses in the first place? Desperation perhaps?
It's a mix of things, I think.

In towns where there are slaughterhouses, it's an acceptable form of work. I went to a slaughterhouse worker's dinner once (obviously before I was vegetarian). It was almost a family trade, there were parents with their kids there, all of them working at the slaughterhouse. But even in the slaughterhouse, there was a hierarchy. The guys who chopped the animals up, thought they were better than the guys who killed the animals.

In Australia, at least, it's apparently good money (because it's such a horrible job, and not to mention a dangerous one....).

So, when you've got someone who's grown up in a town where working there is okay, your family or friends of your family does it, it becomes acceptable. If you're getting paid good money for it, especially if you're not the kind of person that can afford or is interested in going to University and you don't want to move away, why wouldn't you do it?

They see some horrible, horrible things. While I don't like what they do, I try not to hate them for it, I try to feel compassion for them. Some people are just evil, in my book, and probably get a lot of enjoyment out of it. But the vast majority are in a job that only exists because other people want to eat meat, without getting actual blood on their hands.
#3 Old 02-04-2015, 05:11 PM
Vegan as f**k

@ Tiger Lilly:

Yes I see what you mean, especially the last sentence...It's very easy to blame the slaughter men and the butchers...But they only do their job because of demand from the public!
Tom and Raskolnikova like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-04-2015, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
@ Tiger Lilly:

Yes I see what you mean, especially the last sentence...It's very easy to blame the slaughter men and the butchers...But they only do their job because of demand from the public!

It actually gets easier with time. at first they are very uneasy and feel sick. but after killing for a week you become used to it. They probably justify their actions( it's true in a way) saying I'm just doing society's dirty deeds.
#5 Old 02-04-2015, 05:18 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
@ Tiger Lilly:

Although it does take a certain type of man to choose those jobs

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
#6 Old 02-04-2015, 05:26 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by MozIsMyShepherd View Post
Yes...That's true because a lot of meat eaters wouldn't be able to kill their own meat...

The act of killing animals in a slaughterhouse is an evil act...I just think that the people doing the slaughter are not the only ones to blame...The owner of the company, the shareholders, the buyers, the consumers - they are all implicated as well...Whilst the actual murdering is carried out by the slaughterhouse workers, they are only in the situation whereby they can get away with murder due to the involvement of all those other people...
LedBoots likes this.

Last edited by Go Vegan; 02-04-2015 at 05:33 PM.
#7 Old 02-04-2015, 05:28 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post
It actually gets easier with time. at first they are very uneasy and feel sick. but after killing for a week you become used to it. They probably justify their actions( it's true in a way) saying I'm just doing society's dirty deeds.
I can imagine that they do get used to it and become even more callous over time...
Tom and Raskolnikova like this.

Last edited by Go Vegan; 02-04-2015 at 05:34 PM.
#8 Old 02-04-2015, 05:35 PM

I don't think that monsters who work in these slaughter houses are worthy of compassion. I read a book by Gail Eisnitz called Slaughterhouse. She talks about how some of the employees commit sadistic violence against animals. For example, some admitted to chasing pigs into the boiling vat of water so the pig ends up drowning and screaming taking up to two minutes to die. Other workers have admitted to beating animals to death with crowbars.

You might say these are just a few bad apples but the typical job responsibilities can be just as barbaric. Gail also talked about how these employees drink often and abuse their family members. They also suffer from work related injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome and other injuries. Serves them right. I would rather be a homeless beggar than to be a nazi torturer in a factory farm. Shame on anybody defending these *******s.
Raskolnikova likes this.
#9 Old 02-04-2015, 05:47 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirchoff888 View Post
I don't think that monsters who work in these slaughter houses are worthy of compassion. I read a book by Gail Eisnitz called Slaughterhouse. She talks about how some of the employees commit sadistic violence against animals. For example, some admitted to chasing pigs into the boiling vat of water so the pig ends up drowning and screaming taking up to two minutes to die. Other workers have admitted to beating animals to death with crowbars.

You might say these are just a few bad apples but the typical job responsibilities can be just as barbaric. Gail also talked about how these employees drink often and abuse their family members. They also suffer from work related injuries such as carpal tunnel syndrome and other injuries. Serves them right. I would rather be a homeless beggar than to be a nazi torturer in a factory farm. Shame on anybody defending these *******s.
I agree a good person will not choose murdering innocent creatures as a profession
Raskolnikova likes this.

#10 Old 02-04-2015, 05:47 PM
Vegan as f**k

It is disgusting behaviour!

And yet the vast majority of the public, most of whom know slaughterhouses are horrible places, do nothing...That implicates them as well...

When I read "a pig is drowned in boiling water" I am horrified and feel that the perpetrators should be given life imprisonment...When the average person reads this, they think "Oh, that's not very nice...Oh and I must have a bacon sandwich for lunch"...
Raskolnikova likes this.
#11 Old 02-04-2015, 05:55 PM
Lovable misanthrope

That is truly sadisticand brutal, and people (people?)like that will not stop at that!

#12 Old 02-04-2015, 06:10 PM

Boiling a pig alive has no legal consequences, but God help someone who is recorded just kicking a dog or a cat. The video would go viral, the perpetrator would be harassed by the public, they would lose their job due to bad publicity. Finally, they'll be jailed and fined. Mad mad world.
#13 Old 02-04-2015, 06:14 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Boiling a pig alive has no legal consequences, but God help someone who is recorded just kicking a dog or a cat. The video would go viral, the perpetrator would be harassed by the public, they would lose their job due to bad publicity. Finally, they'll be jailed and fined. Mad mad world.
Exactly! It is so messed up! I don't understand why more members of the public are not outraged by how pigs/ cows/ sheep/ chickens etc are treated...If they were, then the crimes committed in slaughterhouses every day would come to a stop!
#14 Old 02-04-2015, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
No, it takes a person who's been conditioned and who is desperate enough, to choose those jobs. If it takes a certain 'type' of person to do that job, regardless of their upbringing, surrounding or circumstance then it that lends credence to the idea that there's only a certain 'type' of person who can also go vegetarian or vegan.

It's a certain type of circumstances, not certain types of people (in most cases).

Quote:

I'm not defending what they do, especially when it goes beyond the already horrific act of killing an animal.

But to pretend that the people who do this are that different from you and I, is faulty. They are coming from a situation where they're told the job they're doing is necessary, surrounded by huge amount of violence and their choices are turn off their empathy or fall apart all the faster. Either way they lose out. It's a very real cost to their own mental safety, to be working in these places, so they become normalised to the violence.

I suggest you follow up your reading of Slaughterhouse with Dr Melanie Joy's book of "Why We Eat Pigs, Wear Cows and Love Dogs". She talks about why those slaughterhouse workers did what they did, the reasoning behind their actions.

And before you decide that your theoretical choice to live as a homeless person is the better one, maybe consider that your options have probably never included working in a slaughterhouse in the first place. Were you ever told it was a career goal you should consider? Did you live in a town where it was a job prospect? Have you been afforded enough education and opportunities that you need never actually make that choice?

In short, there are not large numbers of people going "Oh I'd love to work in a slaughterhouse because I do LOVE to maim, dismember and kill animals". That, by the way, is a good thing. If those people aren't choosing it because of an overwhelming urge to hurt animals, it means they can change their reasoning. It means that it's the system that's failed the people, not the people who've failed at being people.

Feel compassion for them or don't, but don't fool yourself into demonising them. If we can be where we all are because of the opportunities we've been given, then it stands to reason they are where they are for the same reasons.
Capstan, silva, LedBoots and 3 others like this.
#15 Old 02-05-2015, 12:35 AM

Quote:
No, it takes a person who's been conditioned and who is desperate enough, to choose those jobs. If it takes a certain 'type' of person to do that job, regardless of their upbringing, surrounding or circumstance then it that lends credence to the idea that there's only a certain 'type' of person who can also go vegetarian or vegan.

It's a certain type of circumstances, not certain types of people (in most cases).

I'm not defending what they do, especially when it goes beyond the already horrific act of killing an animal.

But to pretend that the people who do this are that different from you and I, is faulty. They are coming from a situation where they're told the job they're doing is necessary, surrounded by huge amount of violence and their choices are turn off their empathy or fall apart all the faster. Either way they lose out. It's a very real cost to their own mental safety, to be working in these places, so they become normalised to the violence.

I suggest you follow up your reading of Slaughterhouse with Dr Melanie Joy's book of "Why We Eat Pigs, Wear Cows and Love Dogs". She talks about why those slaughterhouse workers did what they did, the reasoning behind their actions.

And before you decide that your theoretical choice to live as a homeless person is the better one, maybe consider that your options have probably never included working in a slaughterhouse in the first place. Were you ever told it was a career goal you should consider? Did you live in a town where it was a job prospect? Have you been afforded enough education and opportunities that you need never actually make that choice?

In short, there are not large numbers of people going "Oh I'd love to work in a slaughterhouse because I do LOVE to maim, dismember and kill animals". That, by the way, is a good thing. If those people aren't choosing it because of an overwhelming urge to hurt animals, it means they can change their reasoning. It means that it's the system that's failed the people, not the people who've failed at being people.

Feel compassion for them or don't, but don't fool yourself into demonising them. If we can be where we all are because of the opportunities we've been given, then it stands to reason they are where they are for the same reasons.

Whether it is socially induced or not, these factory farm workers might be able to override their conscience temporarily, but their actions always come back to hurt them. During the holocaust, the Nazi’s were taught that Jews were subhuman like animals, so it made their job executing them easy for a while. However, Nazi soldiers who shot Jewish victims eventually developed psychological problems after committing murder so many times. The same thing happens to factory farm workers today. Those who cut pigs’ throats usually drink alcohol to excess to escape their guilt.

These people who work in these barbaric facilities are nothing like me. Even when I was a meat eater, I would not kill a defenseless animal that is screaming and pleading for its life. The savages that do can “normalize" the act all they want but they will pay for it. Just about every religion, country, and culture shares a common belief that you reap what you sow, and these miscreants are no exception. They suffer burns, cuts, kicks, and amputations. Some are even crushed by falling animals that try to escape being murdered.

Don’t try to rationalize the actions of these murderers by saying they had limited employment options. Factory farmers usually make around minimum wage. There are other low paying jobs that don’t require one to butcher sentient beings. If such jobs are not available locally, people can move to a big city to increase their chances of finding one.

Brainwashing can only excuse evil behavior to an extent. People need to be adults and be accountable for their decisions. In Gail’s book, she said factory farm workers told her their stories because they felt bad about what they did and saw. That emotional shield they put up is only temporary. It eventually breaks and so do they.

I stand by my opinions. People who work in factory farms are monsters and they will suffer the consequences for doing so.
#16 Old 02-05-2015, 01:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Whether it is socially induced or not, these factory farm workers might be able to override their conscience temporarily, but their actions always come back to hurt them. During the holocaust, the Nazi’s were taught that Jews were subhuman like animals, so it made their job executing them easy for a while. However, Nazi soldiers who shot Jewish victims eventually developed psychological problems after committing murder so many times. The same thing happens to factory farm workers today. Those who cut pigs’ throats usually drink alcohol to excess to escape their guilt.
You've just repeated my point, so I'm not sure what you mean by that.

Quote:
These people who work in these barbaric facilities are nothing like me. Even when I was a meat eater, I would not kill a defenseless animal that is screaming and pleading for its life. The savages that do can “normalize" the act all they want but they will pay for it. Just about every religion, country, and culture shares a common belief that you reap what you sow, and these miscreants are no exception. They suffer burns, cuts, kicks, and amputations. Some are even crushed by falling animals that try to escape being murdered.
They are exactly like you, except you didn't have to make the decisions they did. I'll ask again, were you ever given "abattoir worker" as one of your career goals? Because I'm guessing not. We might all be made of the same stuff, but we're not all starting from the same base line.

And normalising behavious has nothing to do with 'wanting' it to be normal, but making it normal in your mind so you can get through the day.

Quote:
Don’t try to rationalize the actions of these murderers by saying they had limited employment options. Factory farmers usually make around minimum wage. There are other low paying jobs that don’t require one to butcher sentient beings. If such jobs are not available locally, people can move to a big city to increase their chances of finding one.
I'm not rationalising their actions, I'm telling you why it happens.

For a start, some people don't want to move because their entire support network is in the town they've grown up in. Secondly, what do the people do when they live in a country that doesn't have universal health care? Or a dole of some kind to ensure they can live while they look for jobs? Or a system where they can learn new skills? Even when they have all of those things it doesn't ensure that they'll get a job.

After a person has been unemployed for more than 6 months their ability to find work rapidly diminishes.

That's not taking into consideration the person's family, if they have one.

Again, you're just saying people should just 'choose' a better option, when the way the system works for MOST people is that they don't get to have a choice.

Quote:
Brainwashing can only excuse evil behavior to an extent. People need to be adults and be accountable for their decisions. In Gail’s book, she said factory farm workers told her their stories because they felt bad about what they did and saw. That emotional shield they put up is only temporary. It eventually breaks and so do they.

I stand by my opinions. People who work in factory farms are monsters and they will suffer the consequences for doing so.
So, they're either evil monsters or they've got an emotional shield and actually do care about the animals on some level (even if they have to shut it away), which one is it?

hey eventually break because they had to make a decision that they either didn't want to make at the time and had to anyway, or made a decision thinking it wasn't so bad and ending up in hell.

To an extent, I do agree that people need to be accountable for their decisions. But then, the majority of us ate meat and we made that decision to do so. We did it knowing that it was taking the life of an animal and it was the systems around us, that made it possible for us to continue making those decisions. So how is it so hard to understand, that those same systems might have even worse effects on people who aren't as privileged as us?

TL;DR- I'm not rationalising anything, I'm telling you why it happens. We want to stop it from happening and just demonising the people who do it (which a number of cultures do already, including o) doesn't stop them from doing it. The acts of cruelty, the killing, the maiming, the abattoirs and factory farms are all a symptom of a much bigger issue. You work to fix the system, rather than spending all your energy just hating the people trapped in it, and you'd be surprised by the results.
#17 Old 02-05-2015, 06:19 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:

And before you decide that your theoretical choice to live as a homeless person is the better one, maybe consider that your options have probably never included working in a slaughterhouse in the first place. Were you ever told it was a career goal you should consider? Did you live in a town where it was a job prospect? Have you been afforded enough education and opportunities that you need never actually make that choice?.
What nonsense! People who are desperate for a job would choose cleaning and nannying jobs and jobs in shops etc which do not require qualifications and do not pay well but you can still keep your dignity and stay humane when doing them. Working in a slaughterhouse would take a very cold blooded individual, whatever their circumstances you have to match certain criteria on order to be able to do it

Last edited by MozIsMyShepherd; 02-05-2015 at 10:56 AM.
#18 Old 02-05-2015, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

It's like I'm being discriminated for being vegan...

http://boingboing.net/2012/03/08/wor...-a-slaugh.html

note how people point at the knocker as the one who sins and not themselves. it's easy to think all of them are just monsters, but truth is they themselves lie to themselves to absolve guilt just like people who eat meat do.
silva and LedBoots like this.
#19 Old 02-05-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
What nonsense! People who are desperate for a job would choose cleaning and nannying jobs and jobs in shops etc which do not require qualifications and do not pay well but you can still keep your dignity when doing them. Working in a slaughterhouse would take a very cold blooded individual, whatever their circumstances you gave to match certain criteria on order to be able to do it
You said it more succinctly than I did. I can't believe people on this board of all places disagree with us. Unreal.

My apologies to the OP for getting off topic btw.
#20 Old 02-05-2015, 11:01 AM
Lovable misanthrope

Well if I was the OP I'd be very pleased that my original post has led to such a serious debate

#21 Old 02-05-2015, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

This post reminds me of a book called "Zombie Baseball Beatdown". Yes, it's a kids book, and yes, I, a *cough,cough* year old woman read it (I like to read the books before giving them as a gift). It's an interesting read, though.

Anytime I think I'm perfect, I remember that my cousin lives on an island, and I've never walked over to visit her.
#22 Old 02-05-2015, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
What nonsense! People who are desperate for a job would choose cleaning and nannying jobs and jobs in shops etc which do not require qualifications and do not pay well but you can still keep your dignity and stay humane when doing them. Working in a slaughterhouse would take a very cold blooded individual, whatever their circumstances you have to match certain criteria on order to be able to do it
When people find themselves without a job for a long time and can't even afford to eat a single meal per day, they'll just take whatever job comes first. My mom and her boyfriend had to work at a pig slaughterhouse for about 6 months or less, after neither of them were able to get a job another for a year or more - this was in Portugal, and things are pretty bad over there when it comes to getting jobs. And yes, my mom would have happily took cleaning jobs. I honestly hate that they worked there, but they had been searching for jobs for over a year, and didn't even have a cent to eat.

"We have enslaved the rest of the animal creation, and have treated our distant cousins in fur and feathers so badly that beyond doubt, if they were able to formulate a religion, they would depict the Devil in human form." - William Ralphe Inge

Last edited by jessandreia; 02-05-2015 at 11:54 AM.
#23 Old 02-05-2015, 12:08 PM
Lovable misanthrope

There are plenty of peaceful blue collar jobs for the desperate ones, which by the way I respect, it takes a monster to choose to kill for a living
Raskolnikova likes this.

#24 Old 02-05-2015, 12:41 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasitha.wijesekera View Post
http://boingboing.net/2012/03/08/wor...-a-slaugh.html

note how people point at the knocker as the one who sins and not themselves. it's easy to think all of them are just monsters, but truth is they themselves lie to themselves to absolve guilt just like people who eat meat do.
Thank you for posting this.

I think this comment is particularly noteworthy: "Of over 800 workers on the kill floor, only four are directly involved in the killing of the cattle and less than 20 have a line of sight to the killing." As you say, even within the slaughterhouse, the workers try to make out that the "knocker" is the "one" person who is actually responsible for killing the animals. Their method of avoiding guilt is to lie to themselves. People who work in a slaughterhouse are committing murder each and every day. Those who eat meat need to recognise this and actually care about this in order for this to stop. The trouble is, many people just don't care. So yes, the slaughterhouse workers actually do the murdering and therefore are directly responsible, but those who eat meat are indirectly responsible since they in essence support the slaughterhouse workers...
LedBoots and Tiger Lilly like this.

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#25 Old 02-05-2015, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Are slaughter-house workers bad people?

Moderator note.

I've moved posts on this subject here from the following thread so that the discussion can continue: "It's like I'm being discriminated against for being vegan" LINK

Leedsveg: Moderator Team
Go Vegan likes this.
#26 Old 02-05-2015, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Thank you for posting this.

I think this comment is particularly noteworthy: "Of over 800 workers on the kill floor, only four are directly involved in the killing of the cattle and less than 20 have a line of sight to the killing." As you say, even within the slaughterhouse, the workers try to make out that the "knocker" is the "one" person who is actually responsible for killing the animals. Their method of avoiding guilt is to lie to themselves. People who work in a slaughterhouse are committing murder each and every day. Those who eat meat need to recognise this and actually care about this in order for this to stop. The trouble is, many people just don't care. So yes, the slaughterhouse workers actually do the murdering and therefore are directly responsible, but those who eat meat are indirectly responsible since they in essence support the slaughterhouse workers...

I'm sure that you know this, but meat eaters who don't care will eventually care when they or a loved one is diagnosed with heart disease or cancer or some other related sickness due to meat consumption. The problem is these illnesses don't show up until later in the meat eaters life, so they aren't concerned about them today.
#27 Old 02-05-2015, 03:39 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
I'm sure that you know this, but meat eaters who don't care will eventually care when they or a loved one is diagnosed with heart disease or cancer or some other related sickness due to meat consumption. The problem is these illnesses don't show up until later in the meat eaters life, so they aren't concerned about them today.
Yes absolutely! Not only does it harm animals, but it harms them too. It's a lose lose situation...

Why is the suffering and killing of animals wrong? Because the value of a sentient organism's life is priceless. They are their own beings and have their own lives and loves. They have higher emotions and thought processes. Their minds are different from ours in degree, not kind - meaning that fundamentally there are critical similarities.
#28 Old 02-05-2015, 03:59 PM
Lovable misanthrope

Quote:
We know that but meat eaters don't acknowledge it, even though people have been dying from meat related diseases for many years they still think meat is an essential part of a healthy diet as it's "full of irreplaceable nutrients". And like that generation after generation. As the song goes

When you say it's gonna happen now
When exactly do you mean
See I've already waited too long
And now my hope is gone

#29 Old 02-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
It is disgusting behaviour!

And yet the vast majority of the public, most of whom know slaughterhouses are horrible places, do nothing...That implicates them as well...

When I read "a pig is drowned in boiling water" I am horrified and feel that the perpetrators should be given life imprisonment...When the average person reads this, they think "Oh, that's not very nice...Oh and I must have a bacon sandwich for lunch"...
Quote:

You don't realize how privileged you sound? How YOU were the average person who had the luxury of eating her meat without having to endure the unpleasantness?

It really shows ignorance to judge people and put your self on a pedestal. You've never walked in their shoes. It would be just as fair to ridicule you and all the meat you ate, killed and packaged by people who often had no other way to feed their own families, yet you could enjoy it with closed eyes. You don't know the circumstance of being stuck.
Poor has many varieties
Sure, you're vegan now. That does not make you better. It only means your life continued and you changed. Only by helping initiate change will you better yourself, not by superiority
#30 Old 02-05-2015, 04:11 PM
Vegan as f**k

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
You don't realize how privileged you sound? How YOU were the average person who had the luxury of eating her meat without having to endure the unpleasantness?

It really shows ignorance to judge people and put your self on a pedestal. You've never walked in their shoes. It would be just as fair to ridicule you and all the meat you ate, killed and packaged by people who often had no other way to feed their own families, yet you could enjoy it with closed eyes. You don't know the circumstance of being stuck.
Poor has many varieties
Sure, you're vegan now. That does not make you better. It only means your life continued and you changed. Only by helping initiate change will you better yourself, not by superiority
I never said I am better than anyone, just more aware of certain issues...

I haven't eaten meat since I was very young...But that's besides the point.

You are right, I have never walked in a slaughterhouse worker's shoes.

With respect to my comment "When the average person reads this, they think "Oh, that's not very nice...Oh and I must have a bacon sandwich for lunch"", this is what most people actually say/ do whether we like it or not...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page