2014 Flu Vaccine only 23% Effective - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 75Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#31 Old 02-17-2015, 10:42 AM
Oryzatarian
 
Auxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USDA z7a
Posts: 1,359
Even if it were true that polio, smallpox, measles, etc. could be prevented by diet and lifestyle with 100% efficacy, have you actually seen any families lately? When 8 year olds are fat and diseased from swilling milkshakes and eating pizza and cheeseburgers daily the parents are still not willing to straighten out their diet and lifestyle. There are clinically obese 5 year olds with type 2 diabetes now!
If most parents wont even improve their childs diet for an existing and blatantly obvious medical problem, what makes you think they will do it for avoiding an infectious disease which the kid doesnt even have yet?
Auxin is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 Old 02-17-2015, 01:57 PM
Beginner
 
neo77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 105
I have never got a flu vaccine. I have not had a cold or flu for the last 15 years since I do not need to get them. People have a tendency to over-eat and under-sleep so the body gets a flu to force you to get more sleep and eat less. Avoid the Flu or Colds .

Here is an article on LinkedIn, the 10th biggest website in the country. It has on it the CDC, Harvard School of Public Health and American Heart Association saying to eat more fruits and vegetables. It is called

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.
neo77 is offline  
#33 Old 02-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Lovable misanthrope
 
MozIsMyShepherd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: London
Posts: 1,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tweety View Post
I've never gotten the flu shot up until about 4 years ago. I'm an RN in a hospital and the CDC and employers have been very aggressive in demanding staff get vaccinated. Some hospitals have actually fired staff. If we don't get it we have to sign a waiver that we are aware we are endangering our patients and have to wear a mask at all times.

This year I've managed to slip under the radar and haven't gotten it. I can't remember ever being sick with the flu except once in college when I was 18 (nearly 40 years ago..ugh). If I'm approached I plan on refusing not he grounds, I'm ethically opposed to the ingredients, it's ineffective this year, and it's too late in the season and I'll wear a mask.

I've heard of other people that have never gotten the flu. Maybe some of us have a natural immunity and we should be studied.
Getting fired for not agreeing to have the flu jab? Fancy that! I've never had a flu vaccination, although they go around my workplace offering free jabs. What's the point! How many types of flu are there out there? ANd the jab is only going to protect you from one, if at all...
Kristy Collicutt likes this.

it takes guts to be gentle and kind
MozIsMyShepherd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#34 Old 02-17-2015, 03:04 PM
Oryzatarian
 
Auxin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USDA z7a
Posts: 1,359
The standard flu jab protects against 3 and there has recently been quadrivalent (4) vaccines available. And there is at least some cross-over protection with closely related strains which reduces intensity of illness (thats why highly novel flus are more lethal, people dont have the cross-over immunity from related strains).
Of course, getting sick with the flu will also produce an immunity to that strain, one thats been found to last longer than the vaccine and have broader cross-over to related strains.
Auxin is offline  
#35 Old 02-18-2015, 02:33 AM
Vegan as f**k
 
Go Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Worthing, England
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy Collicutt View Post
Each is entitled to their own beliefs, however coming from a family who has never had vaccines and if the odd cold happens during the year, I am living proof that it is un-necessary. I've done my research as I've had my doubts in the past whether I should or should not get any, but after reading a lot of medical journals by Vaccine Truth, and with the coming out of doctors in our town admitting worldwide that the metals, chemicals and adjuvenants indeed do cause autism, whether or not people want to believe it, I am grateful to never have gone through that risk.


I worked with special needs and other kids, I've seen first hand what a vaccine reaction looks like and it's not pretty. I am not saying results are always immediate or that every vaccinated person will have effects in their lives, but it is becoming more and more common. And we cannot ignore the fact that our diet affect 80% of what happens to us.


I know people could argue this for light years, and everyone always has fears and doubts, but my views won't change on that. After all, nurses are not trained to know what actually goes into these shots.
There is a difference between being opposed to vaccines and saying that all diseases are preventable naturally...
danakscully64 likes this.

Last edited by Go Vegan; 02-18-2015 at 02:37 AM.
Go Vegan is offline  
#36 Old 02-18-2015, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Naturebound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 4,609
I'm having trouble wrapping my head around a diet that can prevent diseases like polio, AIDS, chicken pox, syphilis, bubonic plague.... No matter how great your immune system and diet are, I don't think they are a match for some of those diseases, though diet may help improve or control damage if you already have one of them.
danakscully64 and vegansprig like this.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Naturebound is offline  
#37 Old 02-18-2015, 03:08 AM
Vegan as f**k
 
Go Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Worthing, England
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post
diet may help improve or control damage if you already have one of them.
I completely agree with your post, Naturebound. This comment is basically what I was thinking too...
Go Vegan is offline  
#38 Old 02-18-2015, 07:16 AM
Newbie
 
Kristy Collicutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New-Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Auxin View Post
If most parents wont even improve their childs diet for an existing and blatantly obvious medical problem, what makes you think they will do it for avoiding an infectious disease which the kid doesnt even have yet?


Then that is their fault. They need to work on that and find out what they need to do and how they are going to do it. It is up to them to do their own research. It is not the government's responsibility to push people to health. Society needs to stop playing the blame game and take responsibility for their lives and their offspring(s). We are the only species to not realize this from the get-go.


People need to wake up and make changes to revolutionize their own health. No one can do that for them, nor should we try to. Change only comes from within, we cannot force people to change. Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs, values, what have you, but for me, I surround myself with like-minded people. Live by example. In eventuality, people will begin to catch on. Change doesn't happen overnight, same as Rome wasn't built in a day.
lucky7 likes this.

You never know where the road will take you. You never know what you can do once you truly try!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Collicutt is offline  
#39 Old 02-18-2015, 07:21 AM
Newbie
 
Kristy Collicutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New-Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Vegan View Post
There is a difference between being opposed to vaccines and saying that all diseases are preventable naturally...


I'm sorry, but that is my reality. Go to any properly certified nutritionist and ask them how that works. In Canada we are taught that balance of mind-body-soul = health. And so far, the people who are in my life that do practice this, rarely ever get sick. And if they do, it's something natural like a runny nose for a day. Part of life's detox cycles.


Stress is the number one cause of disease. People worry too much about the outcome of everything, everyone's opinions, everyone's judgements. When people can finally free themselves from worrying about what everyone thinks, they will see a different in their own health.


Everything happens for a reason. Be it big or small. We are here to learn, nothing less, nothing more. That is what I believe. And it doesn't matter if you disagree, you are entitled to that. Though challenging other peoples' facts for the sake of not having experienced/believing it is a whole different piece of the pie.

You never know where the road will take you. You never know what you can do once you truly try!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Collicutt is offline  
#40 Old 02-18-2015, 07:30 AM
Beginner
 
lucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 122
Interestingly enough, it's the government that gives us the illusion of choice. 99/100 people don't know any better. You have the option of choice at the grocery store - choice of approved-FDA products. Most people only believe things they've seen/heard on the television, but we have choice! We get to choose from a bunch of pre-approved FCC programs and channels! We don't learn actual nutrition in our government schools - we don't learn how to use our brains at all in school. Americans are like frogs in a pot - they will boil to death before they even realize what's going on. We're under the illusion that Obamacare is intended to help the people - it isn't. The insurance companies were the ones that wrote the bill, and guess who will benefit most? Lol.

The same firms that create vaccines are the ones that fund all the 'testing' and lobby the FDA to get whatever they want, whenever they want. You can believe what you like, but you shouldn't trust info simply because the source 'seems legit.' And next time you think to yourself, 'the government wouldn't lie to me,' you're wrong. They would and they do regularly.

Quote:
Over the last decade in the United States, the deaths of over 100 children — at the very least — have been linked to receiving a measles vaccine, compared with zero children dying from the disease itself, according to the U.S. government’s own compiled data.
http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews...2d2-3275c037aa
Kristy Collicutt likes this.

'The rich get richer 'till the poor get educated.' -Sage Francis

'They offer presidents to represent them. You think a president could represent you? You really think a president would represent you?!? Riight...' -P.O.S
lucky7 is offline  
#41 Old 02-18-2015, 07:37 AM
Newbie
 
Kristy Collicutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New-Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
If you intend to have anyone take your ridiculous claims seriously, please back it up with a peer reviewed study or research article.


They are all around, when you don't look for it, you blindly won't find it, however.


For your own sanity, here are a couple:
http://vaccinechoicecanada.com/ (Their newsletters will provide to you all the information you need. Peer-reviews, medical journal studies, personal stories, government endorsements reimbursing others for vaccine injuries, double blind studies, doctors with PHds or what have you revealing what happens behind closed doors)


http://www.collective-evolution.com/...sm-connection/


This is my last post, I am not feeling compelled to regurgitate proven facts with people who are already shutting their mind off to new possibilities in the first place. I came to this forum to learn more about healthy eating, not to debate. I did expect criticism upon posting, I always expect it because people fear what they don't understand. It's a common human emotion. However, I am always amazed how quickly people are to want to 'kill off' people with opposed views. People wouldn't do the same if someone mentioned they did not like horror movies instead of a romance movie, people go along their lives and get over it. For some reason, the second anyone has opposing views on health, people get riled up unnecessarily, when we could all just respect each others differences and move on like civilized adults.
lucky7 likes this.

You never know where the road will take you. You never know what you can do once you truly try!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Collicutt is offline  
#42 Old 02-18-2015, 07:54 AM
Beginner
 
lucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy Collicutt View Post

This is my last post, I am not feeling compelled to regurgitate proven facts with people who are already shutting their mind off to new possibilities in the first place. I came to this forum to learn more about healthy eating, not to debate. I did expect criticism upon posting, I always expect it because people fear what they don't understand. It's a common human emotion. However, I am always amazed how quickly people are to want to 'kill off' people with opposed views. People wouldn't do the same if someone mentioned they did not like horror movies instead of a romance movie, people go along their lives and get over it. For some reason, the second anyone has opposing views on health, people get riled up unnecessarily, when we could all just respect each others differences and move on like civilized adults.
I don't blame you, and I can relate. I was very surprised to join this forum to see so many people so very different than myself. I expected enlightenment and healthy living to be the theme, but it isn't. More folks seem to be interested in saving the animals, which is great, but I think a little naive. I think we need to save the humans from the humans, first and foremost. But it's hard to feel strongly about it when you're oblivious to it. When vaccines and such (fluoridated water, etc) become mandatory and choice is eliminated, we become the chattel. Frogs in a pot.
Kristy Collicutt likes this.

'The rich get richer 'till the poor get educated.' -Sage Francis

'They offer presidents to represent them. You think a president could represent you? You really think a president would represent you?!? Riight...' -P.O.S
lucky7 is offline  
#43 Old 02-18-2015, 08:24 AM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy Collicutt View Post
I'm sorry, but that is my reality. Go to any properly certified nutritionist and ask them how that works. In Canada we are taught that balance of mind-body-soul = health. And so far, the people who are in my life that do practice this, rarely ever get sick. And if they do, it's something natural like a runny nose for a day. Part of life's detox cycles.


Stress is the number one cause of disease. People worry too much about the outcome of everything, everyone's opinions, everyone's judgements. When people can finally free themselves from worrying about what everyone thinks, they will see a different in their own health.


Everything happens for a reason. Be it big or small. We are here to learn, nothing less, nothing more. That is what I believe. And it doesn't matter if you disagree, you are entitled to that. Though challenging other peoples' facts for the sake of not having experienced/believing it is a whole different piece of the pie.
You cannot say "that is my reality" like your opinion somehow negates facts and science. I am sorry, but you can't. When people utter phrases like "That is my reality." it negates any opportunity to learn and grow. Instead, you stay wrapped up in your own little "reality" where you blithely spread infectious viruses due to it conflicted with "your reality." You do not get your own reality unless you cease to inflict it on others, until then you are part of the actual reality. The one in which viruses are NOT cured or prevented by what you eat or drink or how much you exercise. These things might be good for helping to heal faster, but they have NOTHING to do with being infected and transmitting viruses.

The rest of what you are spouting is self-help nonsense. Yes, stress is a huge factor in IMMUNE health, but again, has nothing to do with initially catching and spreading disease.

There you say "challenging other peoples' facts for the sake of not having experienced/believing" Again, there are no individual "facts" there is objective proven experiments and results. Unless your "belief" is backed up by a tested experiment, which by all means, if you can do it, please do, then it means nothing. It is not a fact at the point, it is an unsubstantiated idea. A dangerous one, to boot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy Collicutt View Post
They are all around, when you don't look for it, you blindly won't find it, however.


For your own sanity, here are a couple:
http://vaccinechoicecanada.com/ (Their newsletters will provide to you all the information you need. Peer-reviews, medical journal studies, personal stories, government endorsements reimbursing others for vaccine injuries, double blind studies, doctors with PHds or what have you revealing what happens behind closed doors)


http://www.collective-evolution.com/...sm-connection/


This is my last post, I am not feeling compelled to regurgitate proven facts with people who are already shutting their mind off to new possibilities in the first place. I came to this forum to learn more about healthy eating, not to debate. I did expect criticism upon posting, I always expect it because people fear what they don't understand. It's a common human emotion. However, I am always amazed how quickly people are to want to 'kill off' people with opposed views. People wouldn't do the same if someone mentioned they did not like horror movies instead of a romance movie, people go along their lives and get over it. For some reason, the second anyone has opposing views on health, people get riled up unnecessarily, when we could all just respect each others differences and move on like civilized adults.
Okay, once again, those are not proven facts or peer reviewed in any way, and they do not counter the wealth of data I gave to you, which you no doubt did not look at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky7 View Post
I don't blame you, and I can relate. I was very surprised to join this forum to see so many people so very different than myself. I expected enlightenment and healthy living to be the theme, but it isn't. More folks seem to be interested in saving the animals, which is great, but I think a little naive. I think we need to save the humans from the humans, first and foremost. But it's hard to feel strongly about it when you're oblivious to it. When vaccines and such (fluoridated water, etc) become mandatory and choice is eliminated, we become the chattel. Frogs in a pot.
One could argue being health focused (which I personally am, as well as AR and environmental) is not in direct conflict with being pro-science or at least not abhorrently against it.
danakscully64 and Naturebound like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray

Last edited by River; 02-18-2015 at 08:28 AM.
River is offline  
#44 Old 02-18-2015, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular
 
beanspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 1,106
I got the flu vaccine this year, I got sick anyway. Up to date, and will continue to be up to date, on MMR, TDaP, etc. On mobile, so I cannot easily 'like' posts, but agree with River's train of thought here.

If not for yourself, please think of the children and immune compromised individuals when choosing your stance on vaccines.
danakscully64 and River like this.
beanspud is offline  
#45 Old 02-18-2015, 10:21 AM
Beginner
 
lucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

One could argue being health focused (which I personally am, as well as AR and environmental) is not in direct conflict with being pro-science or at least not abhorrently against it.
I'm not against science, I'm against bad science and short-sightedness.

Quote:
http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...toryID=1808546
US Government Asks Court to Seal Vaccine Records
Tue November 26, 2002 10:47 AM ET
By Todd Zwillich
WASHINGTON (Reuters Health) - Attorneys for the Bush Administration asked a federal court on Monday to order that documents on hundreds of cases of autism allegedly caused by childhood vaccines be kept from the public. Department of Justice lawyers asked a special master in the US Court of Federal Claims to seal the documents, arguing that allowing their automatic disclosure would take away the right of federal agencies to decide when and how the material should be released. Attorneys for the families of hundreds of autistic children charged that the government was trying to keep the information out of civil courts, where juries might be convinced to award large judgments against vaccine manufacturers.

The court is currently hearing approximately 1,000 claims brought by the families of autistic children. The suits charge that the measles-mumps-rubella (MMR) vaccine, which until recently included a mercury-containing preservative known as thimerosal, can cause neurological damage leading to autism.

Federal law requires suits against vaccine makers to go before a special federal "vaccine court" before any civil lawsuit is allowed. The court was set up by Congress to speed compensation claims and to help protect vaccine makers from having to pay large punitive awards decided by juries in state civil courts. Plaintiffs are free to take their cases to state courts if they lose in the federal vaccine court or if they don't accept the court's judgment.

The current 1,000 or so autism cases are unusual for the court. Because it received so many claims, much of the fact-finding and evidence-gathering is going on for all of the cases as a block. Monday's request by the Bush Administration would prevent plaintiffs who later go to civil court from using some relevant evidence generated during the required vaccine court proceedings. Plaintiffs' attorneys said that the order amounted to punishment of the families of injured children because it would require them to incur the time and expense of regenerating evidence for a civil suit. "Wouldn't it be a shame if at the end of the day our policy would be to compensate lawyers," said Jeff Kim, an attorney with Gallagher Boland Meiburger & Brosnan. The firm represents about 400 families of autistic children who received the MMR vaccine…."
http://www.vaclib.org/news/protectlilly.htm

Quote:
Government Concedes Vaccine-Autism Case in Federal Court - Now What?
Posted: 11/05/2009 6:03 pm EST Updated: 11/17/2011 9:02 am EST

After years of insisting there is no evidence to link vaccines with the onset of autism spectrum disorder (ASD), the US government has quietly conceded a vaccine-autism case in the Court of Federal Claims.

"The vaccinations received on July 19, 2000, significantly aggravated an underlying mitochondrial disorder," the concession says, "which predisposed her to deficits in cellular energy metabolism, and manifested as a regressive encephalopathy with features of ASD."
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-...i_b_88323.html

Before you go on the offensive, asking for 'proof' and 'research.' You won't find it, because it's been hidden from view. You won't believe that because they didn't tell you in school or on CNN - that's just how most people are. The bigger picture takes priority for me, and covering things up destroys all credibility. Until you have a family friend who's child's world is completely flipped upside down like the girl in the article, your opinion is invalid to me. You can either accept that or not, either way I won't lose sleep.

Again, I have no problem with science when it's pure. When money is involved, it's typically not. I mentioned somewhere that I don't oppose vaccinations - I don't trust the people behind them. I especially don't think they should be shooting up infants. It should wait as long as possible.
Kristy Collicutt likes this.

'The rich get richer 'till the poor get educated.' -Sage Francis

'They offer presidents to represent them. You think a president could represent you? You really think a president would represent you?!? Riight...' -P.O.S
lucky7 is offline  
#46 Old 02-18-2015, 10:56 AM
Newbie
 
Kristy Collicutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New-Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 40
River, I just wanted to put it out there that you are being generously hostile for no apparent reason.


What are you afraid of? There's a root cause to all this, I know. You just blew up like the world was going to end because people don't get vaccinated. Secondly, the information provided is there in the newsletters. You of course, would never take the time to look into that, since you are stuck in your ways. This conversation is not going to go anywhere, because you are not even WILLING to try and see things in another light. I spent a whole year trying to find benefits to get vaccinated. I really did, and what I ended up seeing was that people just get sick anyway, so what was the point? This herd immunity theory has been proven false time and time again.


Lastly, if vaccines DID work. Why is it then, that if by some hazard it was the non-vaccinated that "gave diseases" do the ones with vaccines STILL continue to get sick? The FDA is simply afraid to publish too many tests that non-vaccinated children are healthier. They will lose money and they cannot afford that since they are already in considerable debt.




Like I mentioned earlier, I am willing to believe vaccines work. I wish they did... but chemicals and other toxic items are never going to be a cure for anything other than more disease. Any common sense person can see this. Our gut and our brain is not meant to digest items such as aluminum, thimerosal and the likes. I am trying to have an actual conversation with you, but it doesn't seem like we can set aside our differences. So lets just accept we all have different views and more on. Alright?

You never know where the road will take you. You never know what you can do once you truly try!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Collicutt is offline  
#47 Old 02-18-2015, 11:04 AM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
If you think that was blowing up, you really need to see someone legitimately blow up. Putting that aside, I trust you realize the tone and inflection of certain things are lost through text communication. You lack the ability to see my face or hear my voice, so what you may choose to take as "blowing up" could, perhaps, be called passion or zeal. I can assure you, however, that there was no "blowing up" or hostility. I am sorry you feel there was.

To your notion that vaccines don't work. I suggest you brush up on herd immunity. Here is a great article: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...64410X03006054

Here is a great video:

If you are going to try to say herd immunity has been proven false, you need to post actual scientific evidence of what you are saying. I think you are taking my requests for evidence as hostile, but they're not. If there is evidence -- actual scientific evidence -- against vaccines, I would like to read it, because it truly could change my mind.

That's the great thing about science, contrary to what you are saying. I need actual evidence to change my opinion, rather than your individual anecdotal "facts" and "reality".

@Lucky7: You have jumped into the realm of conspiracy theories, to which I cannot follow.
danakscully64 and beanspud like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#48 Old 02-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Newbie
 
Kristy Collicutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New-Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 40
Anything by Dr. Suzanne Humphries be it in journals, youtube or what-have you explains more in detail. I can't type up everything, I'd sit here for ages. Through the newsletters they send out, it shows exactly the sources of where they get their information, how they set up the tests, an equal amount of blindly chosen subjects both vaccinated and non vaccinated. There are not many studies out yet comparing both, simply because the people wanting to make these studies keep getting rejected by the government officials.


This is one of the articles, however. http://healthimpactnews.com/2014/stu...ated-children/


And another: http://healthimpactnews.com/2011/new...ated-children/


A video about why the ingredients are dangerous

You never know where the road will take you. You never know what you can do once you truly try!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Collicutt is offline  
#49 Old 02-18-2015, 11:37 AM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Thank you ^_^

I'll read these some time today.
Kristy Collicutt likes this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#50 Old 02-18-2015, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular
 
beanspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
Thank you ^_^

I'll read these some time today.
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com

I'd recommend saving your time, or use the above link to see if you can possibly score a bingo for the most logical fallacies used in one document. The most egregious is the 'Texas Sharpshooter', the data is so cherry picked I think I got a serving of fruit just glancing at it. If the recent outbreak of measles in the US isn't enough to shame these charlatans who publish and propagate this nonsense, I don't know what is. Even Jenny McCartney has back peddled on her anti vaccination drivel.

If any of us here seem incensed or frightened, it's probably because we actually are. What's at stake in this specific conversation is human lives, suffering preventable disease and death because someone didn't want or wasn't able to use adequate critical thinking skills. Let us ponder how smallpox was eliminated from the human population, and who in their right mind would truly wish it's reoccurrence. From what some have said in this thread, you almost have to wonder.

Edit to add:
To illustrate my claim of 'Texas Sharpshooter':

Quote:
According to the Centers for Disease Control the number of autism cases among 8-year-olds increased 57 percent from 2002 to the 2006. Looking back over the last 20 years, the rates of autism have gone up 200 percent. Today, 1 in 70 male children has some form of autism spectrum disorder.

When those numbers were released, it seemed absolutely nuts. Parents around the world panicked. Something must be causing autism numbers to rise, right?

Early on, a bullseye was painted around vaccines because symptoms seemed to show up about the same time as kids were getting vaccinated. Once they had a target, a cluster, they failed to see all the other correlations. After years of research and millions of dollars, vaccines have been ruled out, but some parents and celebrities refuse to accept the findings. Singling out vaccines while ignoring the millions of other factors is the same as noting the Titan hit an iceberg but omitting it had sails.
Source:
http://youarenotsosmart.com/2010/09/...ooter-fallacy/
River and Naturebound like this.

Last edited by beanspud; 02-18-2015 at 06:03 PM. Reason: illustrate logical fallacy
beanspud is offline  
#51 Old 02-18-2015, 05:49 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanspud View Post
https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com

I'd recommend saving your time, or use the above link to see if you can possibly score a bingo for the most logical fallacies used in one document. The most egregious is the 'Texas Sharpshooter', the data is so cherry picked I think I got a serving of fruit just glancing at it. If the recent outbreak of measles in the US isn't enough to shame these charlatans who publish and propagate this nonsense, I don't know what is. Even Jenny McCartney has back peddled on her anti vaccination drivel.

If any of us here seem incensed or frightened, it's probably because we actually are. What's at stake in this specific conversation is human lives, suffering preventable disease and death because someone didn't want or wasn't able to use adequate critical thinking skills. Let us ponder how smallpox was eliminated from the human population, and who in their right mind would truly wish it's reoccurrence. From what some have said in this thread, you almost have to wonder.
Perfect post

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#52 Old 02-19-2015, 07:08 AM
Newbie
 
Kristy Collicutt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: New-Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 40
We're just going to go our separate ways on this topic I suppose.
Kiwibird08 likes this.

You never know where the road will take you. You never know what you can do once you truly try!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kristy Collicutt is offline  
#53 Old 02-19-2015, 08:33 AM
No flesh since 99'
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy Collicutt View Post
We're just going to go our separate ways on this topic I suppose.
This is why I've dropped out of this discussion, it's a futile effort. You can argue until your blue in the face, but folks who have bought into the modern medical industry hook, line and sinker cannot be convinced otherwise. I will say, for myself, I will continue to eat for health, continue to not see doctors, continue to not receive vaccinations and be sure any future children are home birth (if at all possible), home schooled, not vaccinated and visit naturopathic doctors instead of the brain dead pill pusher needle freaks who are all in bed with big pharma.
Kristy Collicutt likes this.
Kiwibird08 is offline  
#54 Old 02-19-2015, 11:28 AM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
... Because you are so sure of your ideas that your children need never be exposed to other ones? *face desk*

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#55 Old 02-19-2015, 11:32 AM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Mod Post: Also, I figure I should move this to the Compost Heap where it may have the debate it deserves.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#56 Old 02-19-2015, 11:48 AM
No flesh since 99'
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
... Because you are so sure of your ideas that your children need never be exposed to other ones? *face desk*
When I have children, it is my job to protect them until they are OLD ENOUGH to make their OWN decisions. They're barely out of your body before they start pumping them full of vaccinations these days. It is not my right or place to force vaccinations, which may or may not be safe, on them when they are too young to understand the risks and benefits to be able to choose for themselves. That is a decision for them to make at an age they are able to choose for themselves what to put in their own bodies. I wish I had been given the choice, but I wasn't. I was just saddled with my parents decisions regarding what poisons were pumped into my body. It's not just vaccinations and western doctors, I feel the same about animal products, religion and mainstream schooling. NOT IN MY HOME until any child I have is a young adult and able to decide for themselves.
River and Kristy Collicutt like this.

Last edited by Kiwibird08; 02-19-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Kiwibird08 is offline  
#57 Old 02-19-2015, 12:04 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
When I have children, it is my job to protect them until they are OLD ENOUGH to make their OWN decisions. They're barely out of your body before they start pumping them full of vaccinations these days. It is not my right or place to force vaccinations, which may or may not be safe, on them when they are too young to understand the risks and benefits to be able to choose for themselves. That is a decision for them to make at an age they are able to choose for themselves what to put in their own bodies. I wish I had been given the choice, but I wasn't. I was just saddled with my parents decisions regarding what poisons were pumped into my body. It's not just vaccinations and western doctors, I feel the same about animal products, religion and mainstream schooling. NOT IN MY HOME until any child I have is a young adult and able to decide for themselves.
I so agree with you that children deserve the respect and dignity to make many decisions themselves -- and perhaps that is the most valid argument against vaxxing (if it didn't point other people and their children at risk).

But how are your children supposed to make their own decisions or be exposed to all these other ideas if you are their teacher, parent, and everything else. Part of school is being exposed to wildly different ideas that what your parents believe in. Homeschooling and home-everything else is doing exactly what your parents did -- saddling the children with your ideas, thoughts, views, arguments. Children are incredibly smart and deserve access to opposing views presented in a valid light.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#58 Old 02-19-2015, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular
 
beanspud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 1,106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwibird08 View Post
When I have children, it is my job to raise them to make their OWN decisions, not force mine upon them, and that includes vaccinations which may or may not be safe. That is a decision for them to make at an age they are able to critically think after looking into both sides of the debate and choose for themselves what to put in their own bodies. I wish I had been given the choice, but I wasn't. I was just saddled with my parents decisions regarding what poisons were pumped into my body.
Parents have to make some decisions for their children's health for them. When they are able to 'look into sides of debate' it's too late, and you have neglected your duties as a parent. So I assume this following schedule will not be followed for your children.

Quote:
When fewer babies get vaccinated, more babies get sick.
Babies usually catch these diseases from other children or adults, who might not even know they are infected. A mother with Hepatitis B can infect her baby at birth. Tetanus enters the body through a cut or wound; it is not spread from person to person.

Five Childhood Vaccines can protect your baby from these seven diseases:

Vaccine Number of Doses Recommended Ages Other Information

DTaP (Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis) 5 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 15-18 months, 4-6 years Some children should not get pertussis vaccine. These children can get a vaccine called DT (diphtheria & tetanus).
Hepatitis B 3 Birth, 1-2 months, 6-18 months
Polio 4 2 months, 4 months, 6-18 months, 4-6 years An additional dose of polio vaccine may be recommended for travel to certain countries.
Hib (Haemophilus influenzae type b) 3 or 4 2 months, 4 months, (6 months), 12-15 months There are several Hib vaccines. With one of them the 6-month dose is not needed.
PCV13 (pneumococcal) 4 2 months, 4 months, 6 months, 12-15 months Older children with certain health conditions may also need this vaccine.

Your healthcare provider might offer some of these vaccines as combination vaccines – several vaccines given in the same shot. Combination vaccines are as safe and effective as the individual vaccines, and can mean fewer shots for your baby.
Source:http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/...nts/multi.html

Last edited by beanspud; 02-19-2015 at 12:09 PM. Reason: added source
beanspud is offline  
#59 Old 02-21-2015, 03:30 AM
Vegan as f**k
 
Go Vegan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Worthing, England
Posts: 2,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristy Collicutt View Post
I'm sorry, but that is my reality. Go to any properly certified nutritionist and ask them how that works. In Canada we are taught that balance of mind-body-soul = health. And so far, the people who are in my life that do practice this, rarely ever get sick. And if they do, it's something natural like a runny nose for a day. Part of life's detox cycles.


Stress is the number one cause of disease. People worry too much about the outcome of everything, everyone's opinions, everyone's judgements. When people can finally free themselves from worrying about what everyone thinks, they will see a different in their own health.


Everything happens for a reason. Be it big or small. We are here to learn, nothing less, nothing more. That is what I believe. And it doesn't matter if you disagree, you are entitled to that. Though challenging other peoples' facts for the sake of not having experienced/believing it is a whole different piece of the pie.
Cancers result from random genetic mutations. The fact is that you cannot prevent all random mutations from happening by following a "healthy" diet and lifestyle. Certain neurodegenerative conditions also occur due to random mutations.

It is dangerous to preach that all of these things can be prevented if you follow the "correct" lifestyle. Suppose you were a cancer patient and somebody said that to you, that you were sick because you hadn't followed the "correct" lifestyle, despite being a non-smoker/ non-drinker/ vegan/ athlete. Apart from this statement being illogical, how do you think that it would make you feel?
River likes this.

Last edited by Go Vegan; 02-21-2015 at 03:45 AM.
Go Vegan is offline  
#60 Old 02-21-2015, 04:01 PM
Beginner
 
lucky7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 122
Missing the point, and the bigger picture. Again..

Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post
@Lucky7: You have jumped into the realm of conspiracy theories, to which I cannot follow.
You're not quite ready yet, I understand. The college rhetoric is indeed potent.

'The rich get richer 'till the poor get educated.' -Sage Francis

'They offer presidents to represent them. You think a president could represent you? You really think a president would represent you?!? Riight...' -P.O.S

Last edited by lucky7; 02-21-2015 at 04:04 PM.
lucky7 is offline  
Reply

Tags
cdc , flu , health , influenza , vaccine

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off