vegetarians don't eat eggs, ok? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 127Likes
Closed Thread

#1 Old 07-06-2014, 06:23 AM
Banned

vegetarians don't eat eggs, ok?

so anyone who thinks they're a vegetarian, but eats eggs, isn't. just want to keep any dialogue I might have here in the future sane….
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-06-2014, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Well, the definition of a "vegetarian" varies, but for most Americans the word alone simply means "no flesh"
There is lacto (dairy), and ovo (egg) vegetarian.
There is strict vegetarian- which is a dietary vegan.

Why do you feel that way about eggs in particular? The eggs sold are not fertilized.

This forum recognizes lacto/ovo vegetarians
#3 Old 07-06-2014, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

What are your reasons for saying that? Most if not all definitions of vegetarian agree that eggs can be eaten. Vegans do not, of course.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-06-2014, 07:15 AM

I'm a vegetarian and eat eggs and some dairy. You will have issues with your 'dialogue' if you don't get the widely accepted definitions straight. Here's help: https://www.veggieboards.com/index.ph...ans-and-vegans

Maybe you are meaning to call yourself 'vegan'. Sort of a weird first post.

“Some people talk to animals. Not many listen though. That's the problem.”

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#5 Old 07-06-2014, 09:23 AM
Banned

no, you aren't a vegetarian
#6 Old 07-06-2014, 09:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by silva View Post
Well, the definition of a "vegetarian" varies, but for most Americans the word alone simply means "no flesh"
There is lacto (dairy), and ovo (egg) vegetarian.
There is strict vegetarian- which is a dietary vegan.

Why do you feel that way about eggs in particular? The eggs sold are not fertilized.

This forum recognizes lacto/ovo vegetarians
this forum? Are you the forum expert in all things?

vegetarians don't eat eggs, which represent a chicken fetus. that's why it's called an 'egg', and not, say, a flower.

they drink milk, which is actually nourishing. sorry, but you'll have to read a little more, or obtain some additional understanding.

maybe refrain from eating eggs, you'll develop more clarity of thought, and I'm not being facetious.

Last edited by veggieveggie; 07-06-2014 at 09:31 AM.
#7 Old 07-06-2014, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gita View Post
What are your reasons for saying that? Most if not all definitions of vegetarian agree that eggs can be eaten. Vegans do not, of course.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Tapatalk
reasons? Do I need a reason not to eat a chicken fetus? it's called an egg for a reason, and not some other 'thing', like chicken lettuce.

it's self evident.

anyone with any interest in health, including mental and spiritual, looks at an egg and sees it for what it is.

but that requires discernment, and eating eggs dulls the mind.

not kidding, it's a fact.

true vegetarians want their health to actually increase. milk is a healthy, nourishing product, usually when it's eaten raw.

stop being part of a tribe, and start thinking for yourself. only people that think for themselves understand what a vegetarian is.

Last edited by veggieveggie; 07-06-2014 at 09:33 AM.
#8 Old 07-06-2014, 09:35 AM
Super Moderator

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggieveggie View Post
no, you aren't a vegetarian
You became a member here, and I while I do feel the terms of service aren't all that user friendly, you will find "Types of Vegetarians/Vegans" right on the home page. It clearly states that vegetarians can eat dairy and egg.

Since you've posted an inflammatory thread on the vegetarian forum, it can and should be removed.

What is point here? Since you've singled out eggs I would assume you consume dairy? Want to take that up in the vegan forum?
#9 Old 07-06-2014, 09:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
this forum? Are you the forum expert in all things?

vegetarians don't eat eggs, which represent a chicken fetus. that's why it's called an 'egg', and not, say, a flower.

they drink milk, which is actually nourishing. sorry, but you'll have to read a little more, or obtain some additional understanding.

maybe refrain from eating eggs, you'll develop more clarity of thought, and I'm not being facetious.
I'm not a moderator here, but do know the forums terms. You have violated those terms.
You've also posted misinformation. An unfertilized egg is not a fetus of any kind. That would be like a woman having a miscarriage every month. Get some education, you'll develop more clarity of thought, and maybe learn to read about a forums regulations before agreeing to the membership rules.

You will be hearing from a forum "expert", or as we call "moderator" soon enough.
#10 Old 07-06-2014, 09:45 AM

#11 Old 07-06-2014, 09:48 AM
Banned

Vegetarianism is a word that was probably adapted by westerners (I'm one, btw) to indicate that they were following a satvik way of life, or diet.

Satvik is a term used by easterners who follow the teachings of saints and mahatmas, all who explain that higher levels of consciousness can be achieved, but that this process requires a foundation called satvik living, a big part of which is a diet of fruits, grains, milk, vegetables, legumes etc, but no dead animal products.

So westerners drawn to the teachings of living saints don't call themselves 'satviks', they call themselves vegetarians.

That's one explanation for the word vegetarian itself. It has meaning - to follow a lifestyle that serves as the foundation for higher mental and spiritual achievements.

Eggs, animal rennet, and other dead animal products prevent this 'evolution' of conscious from happening, according to these teachers. That's why the saints and mahatmas tell us these things, not because they have nothing better to do.

But anyone really interested in truth, in understanding, in the process of 'know thyself' will intuitively understand this. No one has to tell them, they just start living a vegetarian life. They do it because they know it's the right thing to do, if they want to develop their 'self' or personhood.

The egg thing, it's so old hat really.

Last edited by veggieveggie; 07-06-2014 at 10:02 AM.
#12 Old 07-06-2014, 09:51 AM
Banned

Quote:
I'm not a moderator here, but do know the forums terms. You have violated those terms.
You've also posted misinformation. An unfertilized egg is not a fetus of any kind. That would be like a woman having a miscarriage every month. Get some education, you'll develop more clarity of thought, and maybe learn to read about a forums regulations before agreeing to the membership rules.

You will be hearing from a forum "expert", or as we call "moderator" soon enough.
ooooh, mis-information

the only mis-information is calling someone who eats eggs a vegetarian.

who knows, maybe you'll come back as a chicken, and all your egg desires will be fulfiled…and I'm not kidding. there's a wheel of karma out there, which we're all intimately involved.

btw, no egg, no fetus

where do you think the fetus develops, in the flower pot next to the chicken coop?

I fully expect to be banned. it is the way of the world.

but you wouldn't know that...

Last edited by veggieveggie; 07-06-2014 at 09:53 AM.
#13 Old 07-06-2014, 09:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordy Verrill View Post
milk is bad

that's why mothers breastfeed their kids

I don't see moms feeding their newborns eggs

naw, raw milk is actually nourishing. sorry to disappoint you...

Last edited by veggieveggie; 07-06-2014 at 10:01 AM.
#14 Old 07-06-2014, 09:57 AM

If we stop feeding the troll, the troll will find another forum to get their attention from. No need to ban.
#15 Old 07-06-2014, 10:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
You became a member here, and I while I do feel the terms of service aren't all that user friendly, you will find "Types of Vegetarians/Vegans" right on the home page. It clearly states that vegetarians can eat dairy and egg.

Since you've posted an inflammatory thread on the vegetarian forum, it can and should be removed.

What is point here? Since you've singled out eggs I would assume you consume dairy? Want to take that up in the vegan forum?
look, the truth is the truth

no matter how much you try and re-rationalize it, the truth never changes

vegetarianism is a word used for thousands of years (in different cultures, in different forms) that means only one thing - no eggs, no meat, no dead animal products. For some reason, people can't distinguish between, or differentiate the difference between a dead egg, and live raw milk

not my problem though…

with all due respect to the forum.
#16 Old 07-06-2014, 10:01 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordy Verrill View Post
If we stop feeding the troll, the troll will find another forum to get their attention from. No need to ban.
ok, but I'm a vegetarian, so I don't eat eggs

thanks in advance...
#17 Old 07-06-2014, 10:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
reasons? Do I need a reason not to eat a chicken fetus? it's called an egg for a reason, and not some other 'thing', like chicken lettuce.
An unfertilized egg, which is what people eat, is not a chicken fetus and will never grow into a chicken fetus because it hasn't been fertilized. And even if the egg had been fertilized, it wouldn't be a chicken fetus when the egg drops instead it would be a chicken embryo. An embryo is just a mass of cells, it can't feel, suffer, etc..........so by means the same as an actual chicken.

As such eggs are vegetarian, you don't need to kill chickens to produce eggs.
Tiger Lilly and echolove like this.
#18 Old 07-06-2014, 10:22 AM
Banned

I think he is a new vegan and experiencing cognitive dissonance.
Lavendyr likes this.
#19 Old 07-06-2014, 10:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post
An unfertilized egg, which is what people eat, is not a chicken fetus and will never grow into a chicken fetus because it hasn't been fertilized. And even if the egg had been fertilized, it wouldn't be a chicken fetus when the egg drops instead it would be a chicken embryo. An embryo is just a mass of cells, it can't feel, suffer, etc..........so by means the same as an actual chicken.

As such eggs are vegetarian, you don't need to kill chickens to produce eggs.
there's no such thing as a vegetarian egg, ok?

doesn't exist, never existed, and never will exist.

an egg is an egg, it's not vegetarian or otherwise. why you would think so is interesting in itself.

look, the fact that you have to call yourself an 'ovo-vegetarian' is self-explanatory.

you eat eggs, and you also eat like me, a vegetarian.

so you're an ovo-vegetarian, but I'm a vegetarian.

you can't be both, sorry.
#20 Old 07-06-2014, 10:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalamin View Post
I think he is a new vegan and experiencing cognitive dissonance.

two big words, 'cognitive' and 'dissonance'.

and the fact you put them together, well, congratulations.

anyway, I've been an actual vegetarian for over thirty years now, probably longer than you've been sleep-walking on the face of the earth…with all due respect, of course.

ironically, and some of you will probably find this hard to believe, I've never thought of myself as a vegetarian. I just simply started living this way, and later on, discovered that that's how vegetarians live, no eggs, no meat, no fish etc.

so, probably unlike most of you, I did this not to join a tribe or movement, but simply by making a personal decision to live a healthier way, physically, mentally, spiritually etc.

it's called discernment, and we have to work hard to develop it.

Last edited by veggieveggie; 07-06-2014 at 10:33 AM.
#21 Old 07-06-2014, 10:29 AM
Banned

FINAL POINT

ok folks, here it is: the fact anyone has to call themselves an 'ovo' vegetarian proves my point exactly. You are not a vegetarian, you eat eggs, and you also just happen to eat like I do, a vegetarian.

the lacto-vegetarian term is redundant. whoever made it up wasn't, well, wasn't a vegetarian.

but there's really no limit to the confustion we can create using words, and little to no understanding. ovo-vegetarian, ovo-meat eater, what's the diff? there is none.

but a vegetarian, there's only one kind of those.

sorry to disappoint the forum.
#22 Old 07-06-2014, 10:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
there's no such thing as a vegetarian egg, ok?
Of course there is, as I just explained eggs aren't "chicken fetuses" and you don't need to kill any chickens to produce eggs.

But if you don't want to eat eggs, well, don't eat eggs. And I really don't care what you call me, that has no impact on anything.
Tom likes this.

Last edited by logic; 07-06-2014 at 10:33 AM.
#23 Old 07-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic View Post
Of course there is, as I just explained eggs aren't "chicken fetuses" and you don't need to kill any chickens to produce eggs.

But if you don't want to eat eggs, well, don't eat eggs. And I really don't care what you call me, that has no impact on anything.
excuse me, but please explain what a 'vegetarian' egg is, because I'll be honest with you, it's one of the stupidest terms I've ever heard, and I'm not kidding, really.

by the way, do the chickens know they're laying vegetarian eggs?

just call yourself what you are, an 'ovo-vegetarian', not a vegetarian. you don't eat like I do, and you probably never will.

and if you start eating meat again, call yourself an ovo-meat-vegetarian.

logical, right?

Last edited by veggieveggie; 07-06-2014 at 10:38 AM.
#24 Old 07-06-2014, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
excuse me, but please explain what a 'vegetarian' egg is, because I'll be honest with you, it's one of the stupidest terms I've ever heard, and I'm not kidding, really.
I already did. The eggs people eat contain nutrients and an unfertilized embryo, these eggs don't contain "chicken fetuses" and will never develop into chickens. As such eating an egg is by no means the same as eating a chicken and eggs are perfectly vegetarian. But if you don't like the idea of eating an egg, well, don't eat eggs.

Quote:
just call yourself what you are, an 'ovo-vegetarian', not a vegetarian. you don't eat like I do, and you probably never will.
I usually call myself by my name and I really don't care what people think is and isn't a vegetarian. I will use the words as I find convenient. The words have no impact on anything.
#25 Old 07-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Moderator action. I've locked this thread, at least temporarily while the mods discuss the issues it raises. Silva's post managed to arrive before I took action.

leedsveg

Last edited by leedsveg; 07-06-2014 at 10:57 AM.
#26 Old 07-06-2014, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
milk is bad

that's why mothers breastfeed their kids

I don't see moms feeding their newborns eggs

naw, raw milk is actually nourishing. sorry to disappoint you...
I do agree that breast milk is the best nutrition, but only the milk from the infants mother.
I don't consume eggs or milk.
Birds, as well as other animals, consume the eggs that are laid, whether fertile or not. Yes, mothers of many species feed eggs to their young.

Go back under your bridge, or basement...
#27 Old 07-07-2014, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Moderator comment. As you can see, the thread has now reopened in the Compost Heap. We may disagree with each others views, but please, we don't need to get unpleasant.

leedsveg
#28 Old 07-07-2014, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Vegetarianism is a word that was probably adapted by westerners (I'm one, btw) to indicate that they were following a satvik way of life, or diet.

Satvik is a term used by easterners who follow the teachings of saints and mahatmas, all who explain that higher levels of consciousness can be achieved, but that this process requires a foundation called satvik living, a big part of which is a diet of fruits, grains, milk, vegetables, legumes etc, but no dead animal products.

So westerners drawn to the teachings of living saints don't call themselves 'satviks', they call themselves vegetarians.

That's one explanation for the word vegetarian itself. It has meaning - to follow a lifestyle that serves as the foundation for higher mental and spiritual achievements.

Eggs, animal rennet, and other dead animal products prevent this 'evolution' of conscious from happening, according to these teachers. That's why the saints and mahatmas tell us these things, not because they have nothing better to do.

But anyone really interested in truth, in understanding, in the process of 'know thyself' will intuitively understand this. No one has to tell them, they just start living a vegetarian life. They do it because they know it's the right thing to do, if they want to develop their 'self' or personhood.

The egg thing, it's so old hat really.
No matter the etymology (According to Wikipedia the origin of the word "vegetarian" is the word "vegetable", but as I said, the origin is not important here), a word has the meaning it's given. The word "vegetarian" is used to define a diet that does not include dead flesh. This is the meaning you will find in any dictionary, and it is what most people mean when they say "vegetarian". Eggs are not dead flesh, thus (as Logic so beautifully explained) they are vegetarian. The prefix "lacto-ovo" is used to clarify, since there are vegetarian diets that do not include eggs or dairy.

The fact that milk contains many nutrients does not make it morally acceptable. Eggs and all sorts of meat can be healthy too, even though the production cause unfathomable amounts of suffering.

Perhaps this isn't relevant, but as a personal decision I do eat both eggs and dairy (mostly organic, free-range), because I still live with my parents and life is complicated enough as it is. It also seems to me that these products cause LESS suffering than, say, pork.
#29 Old 07-07-2014, 09:49 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

So, @veggieveggie, have you ever seen the videos of the male calves being torturted to become veal? By supporting the dairy industry by touting cows' milk's wonderfulness for humans, you are supporting this, as well as forceful insemination of cows and separation of newborn calves from their mothers. Ever seen a video where you can hear the baby cows cry while the mothers bellow in helpless agony? Even if you only use dairy from farms that magically don't do this, you are still promoting others' use of them.
Tom, danakscully64 and echolove like this.
#30 Old 07-07-2014, 10:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsie182 View Post
No matter the etymology (According to Wikipedia the origin of the word "vegetarian" is the word "vegetable", but as I said, the origin is not important here), a word has the meaning it's given. The word "vegetarian" is used to define a diet that does not include dead flesh. This is the meaning you will find in any dictionary, and it is what most people mean when they say "vegetarian". Eggs are not dead flesh, thus (as Logic so beautifully explained) they are vegetarian. The prefix "lacto-ovo" is used to clarify, since there are vegetarian diets that do not include eggs or dairy.

The fact that milk contains many nutrients does not make it morally acceptable. Eggs and all sorts of meat can be healthy too, even though the production cause unfathomable amounts of suffering.

Perhaps this isn't relevant, but as a personal decision I do eat both eggs and dairy (mostly organic, free-range), because I still live with my parents and life is complicated enough as it is. It also seems to me that these products cause LESS suffering than, say, pork.
I'll have to be honest, after thinking about the dialogue after the thread was blocked, I've had to conclude that this forum should be called 'egg lovers' and 'vegan'.

I don't know why anyone thinks it's a vegetarian forum. It's an egg lovers forum.

And egg lovers love eggs. So they'll rationalize their position until (wait for it) the cows come home.

It could be 'squid lovers' and 'vegan' or 'prawn lovers' and 'vegan'. It just happens to be 'egg lovers'.

So good luck to you, but realize that's what this dialogue is, a discussion between egg lovers and vegans. Vegetarians and vegetarianism in general is not part of this discussion. So it's a pointless exercise.

Last edited by veggieveggie; 07-07-2014 at 10:35 AM.
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page