Do you save the choking Omnivore? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Would you save the choking Omni?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Depends on the person choking. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-05-2004, 06:09 AM

For all you's that like hypothetical questions here's one for you.

You're at a park and see somebody start to choke on their hamburger. No one else is around. You know Heimlich, but by doing the procedure you will ultimately save the omni's life which in turn indirectly contributes to the death of animals.

What would you do? Save the person? Or let them choke to death to save the animals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2004, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Save their life.
#3 Old 05-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I would save their life. What they do with their life will never make me into a murderer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Veggie Regular

No question, save thier life.
#5 Old 05-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Absolutely, save their life.
#6 Old 05-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Ruthie are you serious? Of course I would save their life. I don't care what the hell they eat, it's not my job to decide if they deserve to live or not.
#7 Old 05-05-2004, 07:26 AM
Beginner

Of course I would save their life if I could. What if, after that piece of hamburger flies out, they have an epiphany and never eat meat again? What if they're a scientist on the verge of finding a cure for HIV? Anything is possible. Sure, they might go right back to eating meat, but I don't know that. There are too many "maybe's" to not save that person just because they're eating meat right now. Unless we were born vegetarian, all of us were eating meat at some point - I'd hate to think that if I were choking, a person who could have helped me didn't because I was an omni at the time.
#8 Old 05-05-2004, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

^Yeah, what firebird said. ^
#9 Old 05-05-2004, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I would save their life without thinking twice
#10 Old 05-05-2004, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Though we have had threads on Organ Donation where people have said there's no way they'd ever donate their organs because an omnivore might get them. So, the question isn't entirely far-fetched.
#11 Old 05-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Banned

It depends, are they likely to post polls about ethical questions on veggieboards?
#12 Old 05-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

It depends, are they likely to post polls about ethical questions on veggieboards?

almost hurt myself laughing there.Thanks..T.

Oh...and save.. Especially if God told me to do it in my head.. What-?..No shhhh I'm done typing now sheesh... Oh, sorry folks.. T.
#13 Old 05-05-2004, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Though we have had threads on Organ Donation where people have said there's no way they'd ever donate their organs because an omnivore might get them. So, the question isn't entirely far-fetched.

That is such an incredibly selfish, heartless, mean spirited thing to do. Oh boohoo - you'd rather have your organs rot then extend the life of a meat eater. Please.

Sadly, we can probably guess most who feel this way.
#14 Old 05-05-2004, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'd save the choking omni, but I would never donate organs (unless it was to family/friends) until someone can prove to me without a doubt no one is ever allowed to die because their organs can save several younger people.

I've worked in a hospital as has my sister. You can't convince either of us that, even if it's only rarely, that the 60 year old that could have been saved wasn't because the 20 year old needed one of his organs.

Doctors too often base how hard they try on someone's age and that's bull$hit.
#15 Old 05-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd save the choking omnivore, and when he/she would ask me how he/she can ever repay me, I'd of course answer "go vegan"

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#16 Old 05-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd save their life. Unless this omnivore happened to be a member of the Tory party.
#17 Old 05-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd save their life then sell the story to the Daily Mirror.
#18 Old 05-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I'd save the choking omnivore, and when he/she would ask me how he/she can ever repay me, I'd of course answer "go vegan"

#19 Old 05-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Banned

This is such an easy question. Save their life.

We respect animals' lives on this board, and humans are animals as well.
#20 Old 05-05-2004, 10:39 AM

Quote:

FYI...I'm the one that started the Organ donation thread too (for folks who don't know). And like you, I was suprised to find through that thread some veg*ns would not save the life of an Omni if given the chance. So, yes KPickell, this thread isn't so far fetched.
#21 Old 05-05-2004, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke47 View Post

This is such an easy question. Save their life.

We respect animals' lives on this board, and humans are animals as well.

You may want to speak for yourself and change the "we" to "I". From what I've read, some don't (as far as humans go).
#22 Old 05-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Administrator

I'm surprised to hear you say that. So even though their living would result in the death of 80+ animals a year you'd have no problem saving them?

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#23 Old 05-05-2004, 10:44 AM

BTW, I don't think this poll is any dumber than the "Do you respect humans more than animals" poll or whatever. Posting this poll in response to the other ones I find so silly was a part of my point to posting an equally annoying poll.
#24 Old 05-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I'm surprised to hear you say that. So even though their living would result in the death of 80+ animals a year you'd have no problem saving them?

I don't know who you're talking to, but yes, I would save the choking human. I would save an animal choking in front of me, also, if I knew how.
#25 Old 05-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Banned

Quote:

I think you miss the point of non-violence.
#26 Old 05-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

You may want to speak for yourself and change the "we" to "I". From what I've read, some don't (as far as humans go).

I haven't read anything from anyone that makes me feel they don't respect human life. Then again, I don't have time to come here every day and may miss something.

Thinking of humans and animals as equals and respecting the animal as much as the human does not mean we don't respect human life.
#27 Old 05-05-2004, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I'd save the choking omni, but I would never donate organs (unless it was to family/friends) until someone can prove to me without a doubt no one is ever allowed to die because their organs can save several younger people.

I've worked in a hospital as has my sister. You can't convince either of us that, even if it's only rarely, that the 60 year old that could have been saved wasn't because the 20 year old needed one of his organs.

Doctors too often base how hard they try on someone's age and that's bull$hit.

Really? Because in the hospitals I have worked in, the trauma teams are completely separate from the transplant team. The transplant team never even knows that organs are available until AFTER the family agrees to donate.
#28 Old 05-05-2004, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I haven't read anything from anyone that makes me feel they don't respect human life. Then again, I don't have time to come here every day and may miss something.

Thinking of humans and animals as equals and respecting the animal as much as the human does not mean we don't respect human life.

There's that pesky "we" thing again.

I've been here almost 2 years now and believe me, there are people who have been here and some who are still here that don't want anything to do with humans; they dislike them with a passion (especially if they are omnivore or have a different belief system). I'm not saying all are like that because with any society there's diversity. Thus, how can you say that "we" don't respect human life? "We" are very different from eachother.
#29 Old 05-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Beginner

Quote:

So even though their living would result in the death of 80+ animals a year you'd have no problem saving them?

You have no way of knowing that. Maybe that person will become a veg*n. That's the great thing about humans - they can continually learn, grow, and change. Look at all the former omnis on this board! At one time, they ate meat, but they gradually changed their views and their lives. Not saving someone because of their currently-held views is short-sighted and hypocritical.
#30 Old 05-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

Really? Because in the hospitals I have worked in, the trauma teams are completely separate from the transplant team. The transplant team never even knows that organs are available until AFTER the family agrees to donate.

In addition, I don't think that even the trauma team knows the organs are available until the next of kin clears organ donation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page