Do you save the choking Omnivore? - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Would you save the choking Omni?
Yes 0 0%
No 0 0%
Depends on the person choking. 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 05-05-2004, 06:09 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
For all you's that like hypothetical questions here's one for you.



You're at a park and see somebody start to choke on their hamburger. No one else is around. You know Heimlich, but by doing the procedure you will ultimately save the omni's life which in turn indirectly contributes to the death of animals.



What would you do? Save the person? Or let them choke to death to save the animals?
GhostUser is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 05-05-2004, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
Save their life.
kpickell is offline  
#3 Old 05-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Dr. Schmeebis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,360
Yes, I would save their life. What they do with their life will never make me into a murderer.
Dr. Schmeebis is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 05-05-2004, 06:17 AM
Veggie Regular
 
monkeyandbunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,133
No question, save thier life.
monkeyandbunny is offline  
#5 Old 05-05-2004, 07:22 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Bobsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 1,174
Absolutely, save their life.
Bobsy is offline  
#6 Old 05-05-2004, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular
 
strawberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,489
Ruthie are you serious? Of course I would save their life. I don't care what the hell they eat, it's not my job to decide if they deserve to live or not.
strawberry is offline  
#7 Old 05-05-2004, 07:26 AM
Beginner
 
firebird_81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 122
Of course I would save their life if I could. What if, after that piece of hamburger flies out, they have an epiphany and never eat meat again? What if they're a scientist on the verge of finding a cure for HIV? Anything is possible. Sure, they might go right back to eating meat, but I don't know that. There are too many "maybe's" to not save that person just because they're eating meat right now. Unless we were born vegetarian, all of us were eating meat at some point - I'd hate to think that if I were choking, a person who could have helped me didn't because I was an omni at the time.
firebird_81 is offline  
#8 Old 05-05-2004, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular
 
strawberry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 1,489
^Yeah, what firebird said. ^
strawberry is offline  
#9 Old 05-05-2004, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular
 
DanaJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 254
I would save their life without thinking twice
DanaJ is offline  
#10 Old 05-05-2004, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
Though we have had threads on Organ Donation where people have said there's no way they'd ever donate their organs because an omnivore might get them. So, the question isn't entirely far-fetched.
kpickell is offline  
#11 Old 05-05-2004, 07:53 AM
Banned
 
kirkjobsluder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,276
It depends, are they likely to post polls about ethical questions on veggieboards?
kirkjobsluder is offline  
#12 Old 05-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Tash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 2,447
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkjobsluder View Post

It depends, are they likely to post polls about ethical questions on veggieboards?

almost hurt myself laughing there.Thanks..T.



Oh...and save.. Especially if God told me to do it in my head.. What-?..No shhhh I'm done typing now sheesh... Oh, sorry folks.. T.
Tash is offline  
#13 Old 05-05-2004, 09:26 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Though we have had threads on Organ Donation where people have said there's no way they'd ever donate their organs because an omnivore might get them. So, the question isn't entirely far-fetched.



That is such an incredibly selfish, heartless, mean spirited thing to do. Oh boohoo - you'd rather have your organs rot then extend the life of a meat eater. Please.



Sadly, we can probably guess most who feel this way.
GhostUser is offline  
#14 Old 05-05-2004, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Though we have had threads on Organ Donation where people have said there's no way they'd ever donate their organs because an omnivore might get them. So, the question isn't entirely far-fetched.



I'd save the choking omni, but I would never donate organs (unless it was to family/friends) until someone can prove to me without a doubt no one is ever allowed to die because their organs can save several younger people.



I've worked in a hospital as has my sister. You can't convince either of us that, even if it's only rarely, that the 60 year old that could have been saved wasn't because the 20 year old needed one of his organs.



Doctors too often base how hard they try on someone's age and that's bull$hit.
Wolfie is offline  
#15 Old 05-05-2004, 09:40 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Sevenseas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 25,067
I'd save the choking omnivore, and when he/she would ask me how he/she can ever repay me, I'd of course answer "go vegan"

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

Sevenseas is offline  
#16 Old 05-05-2004, 10:01 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Loki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 4,211
I'd save their life. Unless this omnivore happened to be a member of the Tory party.
Loki is offline  
#17 Old 05-05-2004, 10:24 AM
Veggie Regular
 
spud's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 2,573
I'd save their life then sell the story to the Daily Mirror.
spud is offline  
#18 Old 05-05-2004, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

I'd save the choking omnivore, and when he/she would ask me how he/she can ever repay me, I'd of course answer "go vegan"



Wolfie is offline  
#19 Old 05-05-2004, 10:32 AM
Banned
 
Artichoke47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,903
This is such an easy question. Save their life.



We respect animals' lives on this board, and humans are animals as well.
Artichoke47 is offline  
#20 Old 05-05-2004, 10:39 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpickell View Post

Though we have had threads on Organ Donation where people have said there's no way they'd ever donate their organs because an omnivore might get them. So, the question isn't entirely far-fetched.



FYI...I'm the one that started the Organ donation thread too (for folks who don't know). And like you, I was suprised to find through that thread some veg*ns would not save the life of an Omni if given the chance. So, yes KPickell, this thread isn't so far fetched.
GhostUser is offline  
#21 Old 05-05-2004, 10:41 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artichoke47 View Post

This is such an easy question. Save their life.



We respect animals' lives on this board, and humans are animals as well.





You may want to speak for yourself and change the "we" to "I". From what I've read, some don't (as far as humans go).
GhostUser is offline  
#22 Old 05-05-2004, 10:42 AM
Administrator
 
Michael's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 19,873
I'm surprised to hear you say that. So even though their living would result in the death of 80+ animals a year you'd have no problem saving them?

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is offline  
#23 Old 05-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
BTW, I don't think this poll is any dumber than the "Do you respect humans more than animals" poll or whatever. Posting this poll in response to the other ones I find so silly was a part of my point to posting an equally annoying poll.
GhostUser is offline  
#24 Old 05-05-2004, 10:44 AM
Banned
 
Artichoke47's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 3,903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I'm surprised to hear you say that. So even though their living would result in the death of 80+ animals a year you'd have no problem saving them?



I don't know who you're talking to, but yes, I would save the choking human. I would save an animal choking in front of me, also, if I knew how.
Artichoke47 is offline  
#25 Old 05-05-2004, 10:57 AM
Banned
 
kirkjobsluder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

I'm surprised to hear you say that. So even though their living would result in the death of 80+ animals a year you'd have no problem saving them?



I think you miss the point of non-violence.
kirkjobsluder is offline  
#26 Old 05-05-2004, 11:05 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Wolfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 6,850
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsRuthieB View Post

You may want to speak for yourself and change the "we" to "I". From what I've read, some don't (as far as humans go).



I haven't read anything from anyone that makes me feel they don't respect human life. Then again, I don't have time to come here every day and may miss something.



Thinking of humans and animals as equals and respecting the animal as much as the human does not mean we don't respect human life.
Wolfie is offline  
#27 Old 05-05-2004, 11:29 AM
 
Gracie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 1,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I'd save the choking omni, but I would never donate organs (unless it was to family/friends) until someone can prove to me without a doubt no one is ever allowed to die because their organs can save several younger people.



I've worked in a hospital as has my sister. You can't convince either of us that, even if it's only rarely, that the 60 year old that could have been saved wasn't because the 20 year old needed one of his organs.



Doctors too often base how hard they try on someone's age and that's bull$hit.



Really? Because in the hospitals I have worked in, the trauma teams are completely separate from the transplant team. The transplant team never even knows that organs are available until AFTER the family agrees to donate.
Gracie is offline  
#28 Old 05-05-2004, 11:34 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfie View Post

I haven't read anything from anyone that makes me feel they don't respect human life. Then again, I don't have time to come here every day and may miss something.



Thinking of humans and animals as equals and respecting the animal as much as the human does not mean we don't respect human life.



There's that pesky "we" thing again.



I've been here almost 2 years now and believe me, there are people who have been here and some who are still here that don't want anything to do with humans; they dislike them with a passion (especially if they are omnivore or have a different belief system). I'm not saying all are like that because with any society there's diversity. Thus, how can you say that "we" don't respect human life? "We" are very different from eachother.
GhostUser is offline  
#29 Old 05-05-2004, 11:35 AM
Beginner
 
firebird_81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael View Post

So even though their living would result in the death of 80+ animals a year you'd have no problem saving them?



You have no way of knowing that. Maybe that person will become a veg*n. That's the great thing about humans - they can continually learn, grow, and change. Look at all the former omnis on this board! At one time, they ate meat, but they gradually changed their views and their lives. Not saving someone because of their currently-held views is short-sighted and hypocritical.
firebird_81 is offline  
#30 Old 05-05-2004, 11:37 AM
Banned
 
kirkjobsluder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 4,276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gracie View Post

Really? Because in the hospitals I have worked in, the trauma teams are completely separate from the transplant team. The transplant team never even knows that organs are available until AFTER the family agrees to donate.



In addition, I don't think that even the trauma team knows the organs are available until the next of kin clears organ donation.
kirkjobsluder is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off