• 3 Post By broccolichick
  • 1 Post By Diesel
  • 1 Post By Diesel
  • 1 Post By Diesel

#1 Old 05-30-2014, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Confronting racism face-to-face - BBC News

LINK:

This incredibly brave woman walks up to neo-nazis and asks them to explain their racism, it's amazing to see how quickly they become unsure of themselves. I liked what she said about how many of them had never even confronted their 'enemies' before, it certainly seems true judging by the way they reacted.
Tiger Lilly and Ewe Nanny like this.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-01-2014, 03:34 AM
Veggie Regular

The people demonstrating just ignored her...
The one person who talked to her basically told her she should be deported. Nothing gained there.

The bald guy at the end was already leaving the nazi community...

And the chubby old guy didn't even seem that racist. He just said that race mixing will lead to less diversity.

So walking around and confronting the neo-nazis doesn't really seem to be helping, I think it would probably just reinforce their beliefs.

The video just seemed like media sensationalism. Just making a story out of nothing. A couple clips of somebody talking to two barely racist people, then giving the impression that this person is going around and converting racists into non-racists.

I mean the message of the story is nice, but it seemed very fake and fabricated to me. Which isn't what the news should be about, and I believe the news shouldn't make stories up. Only report the truth.

Last edited by Diesel; 09-01-2014 at 03:40 AM.
#3 Old 09-08-2014, 12:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
The people demonstrating just ignored her...
The one person who talked to her basically told her she should be deported. Nothing gained there.

The bald guy at the end was already leaving the nazi community...

And the chubby old guy didn't even seem that racist. He just said that race mixing will lead to less diversity.

So walking around and confronting the neo-nazis doesn't really seem to be helping, I think it would probably just reinforce their beliefs.

The video just seemed like media sensationalism. Just making a story out of nothing. A couple clips of somebody talking to two barely racist people, then giving the impression that this person is going around and converting racists into non-racists.

I mean the message of the story is nice, but it seemed very fake and fabricated to me. Which isn't what the news should be about, and I believe the news shouldn't make stories up. Only report the truth.
The news genre is any story, situation or event that is happening. In the case of documentaries, like this one, it's often watching the journey that one person is going on in search of some kind of answer. This documentary, from what I can tell of the shorts they showed, isn't 'making stories up', it's telling her story while challenging the 'stories' these racists tell themselves.

This wasn't 'news' as most people see it, being that it seems to be a self-contained showcase/trailer for a documentary. It looks too long, at least from this example, to have appeared in an actual bulletin.

And are you serious with the old guy? I know they didn't show the "answer" to the question he posed- "A pure black person. A really black looking person. Don't you see the connection?" I guessed straight away what he was alluding to. But I looked it up, just in case I was wrong (Spoiler alert, I wasn't). He offers to take her to the zoo so she can see the resemblance....
Also his name is Tom Metzger and he's a Neo-Nazi of the highest order (or lowest, I suppose, depending on your opinion of Nazis).

I think it's a brave thing she's doing and I think it's a good way to do it. She's at the very least, showing them that she's not afraid and she's not doing it in an aggressive way. Given her family history, I think it's an interesting story that she's telling. I probably wouldn't mind watching the full thing, to see the discussions she has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-08-2014, 12:31 AM
Impeach the gangster

Those demonstrators are an embarrassment to the human race.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#5 Old 09-08-2014, 01:50 AM
Veggie Regular

"Nobody is a racist that is in the Klan."

Every day I learn something new.
Werewolf Girl and Riuma like this.
#6 Old 09-13-2014, 12:53 PM
Veggie Regular

What I don't like about this is that she's confronting only fringe outcasts, and racism is much bigger and systemic than that. I think a lot of people don't think they possess racist beliefs and inclinations because they would never don a white robe or wear a swastika.
#7 Old 09-14-2014, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
The news genre is any story, situation or event that is happening. In the case of documentaries, like this one, it's often watching the journey that one person is going on in search of some kind of answer. This documentary, from what I can tell of the shorts they showed, isn't 'making stories up', it's telling her story while challenging the 'stories' these racists tell themselves.

This wasn't 'news' as most people see it, being that it seems to be a self-contained showcase/trailer for a documentary. It looks too long, at least from this example, to have appeared in an actual bulletin.

And are you serious with the old guy? I know they didn't show the "answer" to the question he posed- "A pure black person. A really black looking person. Don't you see the connection?" I guessed straight away what he was alluding to. But I looked it up, just in case I was wrong (Spoiler alert, I wasn't). He offers to take her to the zoo so she can see the resemblance....
Also his name is Tom Metzger and he's a Neo-Nazi of the highest order (or lowest, I suppose, depending on your opinion of Nazis).

I think it's a brave thing she's doing and I think it's a good way to do it. She's at the very least, showing them that she's not afraid and she's not doing it in an aggressive way. Given her family history, I think it's an interesting story that she's telling. I probably wouldn't mind watching the full thing, to see the discussions she has.
Well I didn't know who the old guy was, and the video didn't show him saying any racist things.

The part about the zoo they never showed.

So they did a bad or dishonest job representing what his character actually believes.

This leads me to two conclusions, either the zoo quote never happened.. Or the people making the video left it out on purpose.

Back to my stance on the former neo Nazi still holds weight.
All we see is her showing a former neo Nazi a picture.. the video tries to suggest that she "converted" him by her actions. Just sensationalism.

They probably left the zoo comment out on purpose to make it seem like she talked and got along with what you claim to be one of the biggest neo Nazis. Then they cut to the hug scene. Awwww how sweet..

So is the old man still racist? Most likely yes.

Did his meeting with that woman change anything? Most likely no.

Did the video make it seem like it did? Definitely so.

It's just a fake story made with dishonest video editing. That's why most of the video is her talking about things, with no actual proof of it happening.

Which title gets more views?

Woman confronts racists and makes them change their beliefs.
Or ..
Woman confronts racists and nothing happens.
Riuma likes this.

Last edited by Diesel; 09-14-2014 at 03:36 PM.
#8 Old 09-15-2014, 12:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Well I didn't know who the old guy was, and the video didn't show him saying any racist things.

The part about the zoo they never showed.

So they did a bad or dishonest job representing what his character actually believes.

This leads me to two conclusions, either the zoo quote never happened.. Or the people making the video left it out on purpose.

Back to my stance on the former neo Nazi still holds weight.
All we see is her showing a former neo Nazi a picture.. the video tries to suggest that she "converted" him by her actions. Just sensationalism.

They probably left the zoo comment out on purpose to make it seem like she talked and got along with what you claim to be one of the biggest neo Nazis. Then they cut to the hug scene. Awwww how sweet..

So is the old man still racist? Most likely yes.

Did his meeting with that woman change anything? Most likely no.

Did the video make it seem like it did? Definitely so.

It's just a fake story made with dishonest video editing. That's why most of the video is her talking about things, with no actual proof of it happening.

Which title gets more views?

Woman confronts racists and makes them change their beliefs.
Or ..
Woman confronts racists and nothing happens.
You understand that the linked video is actually an overview of the documentary, right? It's not the FULL documentary. That's why most of the video is of her talking about the documentary and why only certain parts of it are shown. The linked video is not the documentary itself. The 'zoo comment' is in the actual documentary. (For those interested, the documentary is called 'Meet The Aryans').

As for the picture she's showing the ex-neo nazi, it's of her grandmother....Who was in the SS. That's a pretty powerful thing right there, don't you think? I mean, a woman who was IN the S.S then ends up with an African-German grand daughter. And she does admit the guy was already having doubts about his neo nazi beliefs.

Without seeing the full documentary, making any kind of judgement on what her input in his life had on that decision, is purely conjecture. I do tend to agree that her meeting him probably didn't change much as he'd sort of already made up his mind (which is something I think she alludes to anyway), but that she was there for that was awesome.
#9 Old 09-15-2014, 12:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Lilly View Post
You understand that the linked video is actually an overview of the documentary, right? It's not the FULL documentary. That's why most of the video is of her talking about the documentary and why only certain parts of it are shown. The linked video is not the documentary itself. The 'zoo comment' is in the actual documentary. (For those interested, the documentary is called 'Meet The Aryans').

As for the picture she's showing the ex-neo nazi, it's of her grandmother....Who was in the SS. That's a pretty powerful thing right there, don't you think? I mean, a woman who was IN the S.S then ends up with an African-German grand daughter. And she does admit the guy was already having doubts about his neo nazi beliefs.

Without seeing the full documentary, making any kind of judgement on what her input in his life had on that decision, is purely conjecture. I do tend to agree that her meeting him probably didn't change much as he'd sort of already made up his mind (which is something I think she alludes to anyway), but that she was there for that was awesome.
You can't pull the full interview into the picture because I'm commenting on the video. I haven't seen the full documentary, and I don't plan on seeing it. I only see the video that OP posted.

So taking things from the full video and using it to argue against my comments is kinda silly.

And big deal if her grandmother was in the SS, her mother/father married an African American. Not her grandmother. Maybe granny was killed in WW2 and had no say.
Riuma likes this.
#10 Old 09-15-2014, 04:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
You can't pull the full interview into the picture because I'm commenting on the video. I haven't seen the full documentary, and I don't plan on seeing it. I only see the video that OP posted.

So taking things from the full video and using it to argue against my comments is kinda silly.

And big deal if her grandmother was in the SS, her mother/father married an African American. Not her grandmother. Maybe granny was killed in WW2 and had no say.
You complain about it not showing the full story of what happened,then when I say "No, it's not the full story because the full story is the documentary this video is previewing" you think it's silly.....

The reason that I referenced the full story in the very beginning, is you seemed to not 'get' why the old guy was racist. I thought, "Maybe Diesel doesn't have to deal with racist people on a regular basis, so he doesn't know 'why' that zoo comment is obviously leading to something bigger" (racists tend to be utterly predictable with their arguments). But I didn't want to just assume, so I looked into what came after that zoo comment.

And the reason it's a big deal that her grandmother was in the SS, really hits home when she says "She raised me". I didn't get that from reading about the documentary either, it was at the end of the video that's been linked. Maybe, if you're going to come down so hard on how this isn't telling the story properly, you need to watch the clip again because it's obvious you've missed some bits.
#11 Old 09-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

I didn't see a good story. I saw some talking and some manipulative video editing trying to validate it.

Just because somebody has another view of something doesn't mean they don't "get" it. What is there to get? Is there some predefined idea that everybody who "gets" the video understands? Lol.

This is a trailer for a documentary? I'd say that the documentary is probably just as weak. Trailers show the best of what the full length video has to offer. From what I see.. getting ignored by racist but peaceful protesters doesn't really strike me as a moving or worthwhile story.

It's not even brave. What are they going to do? Lynch you in broad daylight? The worst threat I heard was deportation.

There was absolutely no content that showed her actions changing anything.

You keep talking about her granny being SS. Why is it so important? So she was allegedly raised by a racist, but she didn't turn a racist. Big deal. Who's to say her grandmother was even a racist? Does being in the SS automatically make you a racist? What if she was in the SS to serve her country and she was doing what she thought was right. This doesn't really validate anything the video was pushing imo.

Why should I expect something better in the full product, if the trailer is so sloppy?
Riuma likes this.

Last edited by Diesel; 09-16-2014 at 03:31 PM.
#12 Old 09-17-2014, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I didn't see a good story. I saw some talking and some manipulative video editing trying to validate it.

Just because somebody has another view of something doesn't mean they don't "get" it. What is there to get? Is there some predefined idea that everybody who "gets" the video understands? Lol.
This is a trailer for a documentary? I'd say that the documentary is probably just as weak. Trailers show the best of what the full length video has to offer. From what I see.. getting ignored by racist but peaceful protesters doesn't really strike me as a moving or worthwhile story.

It's not even brave. What are they going to do? Lynch you in broad daylight? The worst threat I heard was deportation.

There was absolutely no content that showed her actions changing anything.

You keep talking about her granny being SS. Why is it so important? So she was allegedly raised by a racist, but she didn't turn a racist. Big deal. Who's to say her grandmother was even a racist? Does being in the SS automatically make you a racist? What if she was in the SS to serve her country and she was doing what she thought was right. This doesn't really validate anything the video was pushing imo.

Why should I expect something better in the full product, if the trailer is so sloppy?
I see your comprehension skills of what I wrote are as poor as your comprehension skills of the video. At least, I hope that's the reason behind your lack of understanding....Otherwise, you're just being wilfully ignorant and that would be incredibly sad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page