Insight on steak? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-28-2004, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I have heard people sing the praises of steak all my life. It seems like the first thing out of people's mouths when they learn that I was raised veg.--"You've never tasted steak? "You missed out." And if I ask what the deal is on steak, I get a variety of answers--you get a high from it, you feel primal, you're flushed with animal energy, and the list goes on in a similar way. I don't know whether to take these response seriously or not...yet, I don't hear people talk the same way about their beef burritos from Taco Bell. I know it seems a bit odd to ask about this on a vegetarian site, but I know most people here have eaten meat at one time and so have experience from both ends. So what is the deal with steak? Is it just that steak=fine dining or special occasion? When people tell me about these rushes they get, I can't help but think that while I do love me some good food, I'm not sure that my tofu is throwing me to heights of ecstasy these people are claiming from their slabs of meat. Reading back over this, it sounds like a silly question but I'm quite earnest. What's the deal with steak?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-28-2004, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Its kinda tasty, i guess.

i didn't really get that kinda mindset when i was an omni either.

ebola
#3 Old 04-28-2004, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I never really thought of steak as any different from other meats other than it tasted slightly different. I get the "Youve never tasted steak?" question too even though I once was an omni. Personally, I think its overrated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-28-2004, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I dunno why steak is seen as being the creme de la creme of all meats. It's just a big slab of it, and as far a si know, in much of north america, it isn't cooked very much either, so I don't really see the appeal.

I had steak before i wa svegetarian ,and i didn't really see too much of a difference between steak and othe rmeats. There was a difference, bu tI never was one to elevate steak above all other meats.
#5 Old 04-28-2004, 04:20 PM
Veggie Regular

because it's fatty, and fat tastes good. BBQ steak, steak fajitas, steak anything - it's much more flavorful (fatty) than, say, chicken or fish. OTOH, you can easily ruin steak so it doesn't always taste good. The reason 'marbled' steak is so sought-after is because the 'marble' is fat. You certainly don't get marbled chicken or fish (or if you do, it's crap quality!), so my guess is just that it's the fat that does the trick. Just look at how much people love prime rib (which I could *never* eat - yuck!), which has to be the fattiest cut of meat I've ever seen.

I miss the *taste* of steak (and no, I never was one to drown it in other stuff) but I certainly don't ever entertain the thought of gnawing on a piece of cow muscle. eww. That, and it gives me digestive problems which is why I stopped eating it in the first place.

amy
#6 Old 04-28-2004, 04:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I was raised omni and have never eaten an entire steak, although I do recall tasting it a couple of times as a child. It was vile, hard for me to even swallow. You're definitely not missing anything. However, this is coming from a former omni who never liked red meat and has never eaten some pretty basic American meaty staples just because I thought they looked/smelled so gross. For instance, I've never eaten a fast food hamburger and I've never eaten ham.
#7 Old 04-28-2004, 05:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm currently eating a near vegan diet, I have been vegetarian for 16 months, but I'll say this: steak is the most delicious thing I have ever eaten, and it is the one meat product I miss. I can't see myself eating one anytime soon though. Maybe if I live to be 100.
#8 Old 04-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, the magical, mystical, and legendary taste of steak does have something to do with the fat, but it has more to do with the browning of the meat. This browning is called the Maillard Reaction. It's an INCREDIBLY complex chemical reaction that takes place when the proteins recombine with sugars and produces 100s of different flavors that all add up to that distinct taste of seared flesh. And quality steak is sliced from the best tasting part of the cow.

For a nice overview of the Maillard reaction, check this page out, The Science of Meat: What Gives Meat Its Flavor from The Science of Cooking.

http://www.exploratorium.edu/cooking...es-flavor.html

Jim
#9 Old 04-28-2004, 05:31 PM

Steak is the "meatiest" of meats, as far as consistency is concerned; you really know that you're biting into flesh. As far as taste is concerned, for me it came pretty far down on the list of meats I liked, and I've never craved it in the close to 20 years since I last ate beef.
#10 Old 04-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know what the big deal is personally. I never did like it. I always found it too chewy and I didn't care for the flavor.
#11 Old 04-28-2004, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I became a vegetarian at age 8, and kids don't really eat steaks.

I had bites of it sometimes off my parents' plates, and I liked it, but I liked burgers so much better.

This is probably why I like to eat veggieburgers so much today.

Of course, I also like fake chicken nuggets, and I HATED chicken nuggets as a kid.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#12 Old 04-28-2004, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually used to really like steak when I was younger, but as grew older, I liked it less and less even when I wasn't vegetarian. I don't know- maybe my parents bought cheap steak?
#13 Old 04-28-2004, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it may be the whole "gathering around a kill and feasting together" mentallity. Even chimps will gather around a rare dead animal and eat it together, whereas they usually graze on their more vegetarian fare alone or in smaller groups.
#14 Old 04-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I never liked steak. My parents had to force me to eat it and I could only do it by drenching it in worchestershire sauce.

Cube steak (the hamburger of steaks ) on the other hand I did like, except for when those little strings or fat or whatnot got stuck in my teeth.
#15 Old 04-29-2004, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

You *******s are making me want a big, bloody steak. When Boca can accurately synthesize those, I'll be a happy camper.

Get to effing work Mr Westerhof.
#16 Old 04-29-2004, 08:56 AM

I used to love the taste of a Filet on the grill. I could cook a Delmonico to taste like heaven. Steak was my favorite. But, as it turns out, I love cows more and can't fathom harming them anymore by eating them.
#17 Old 04-29-2004, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenguin View Post

You *******s are making me want a big, bloody steak. When Boca can accurately synthesize those, I'll be a happy camper.

I'm so with you on this one (minus the blood because I always preferred my steak cook all the way through).
#18 Old 04-29-2004, 09:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I think like all meats, the flavor of steak is based on both the cut of meat, and the abilities of the person who is cooking it. My wife hated eating beef liver before she met me. She couldnt stand the way it tasted. Then she tried some liver that my father had cooked, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I think the same can be said for steak. Cook it improperly and it can taste like junk.
#19 Old 04-29-2004, 10:10 AM
Banned

sometimes i like to eat a big slab of tofu with nutritional yeast drenched in olive oil, so i can see why people would like steaks, even though i've never had one.
#20 Old 04-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular

I never thought it was that great and certainly don't miss it. Of course, I don't miss any meats, just cheese pizza.
#21 Old 04-29-2004, 12:24 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread doesn't make we want steak, it makes me want to puke. Gross.
#22 Old 04-29-2004, 12:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse View Post

Steak is the "meatiest" of meats, as far as consistency is concerned; you really know that you're biting into flesh. As far as taste is concerned, for me it came pretty far down on the list of meats I liked, and I've never craved it in the close to 20 years since I last ate beef.

Don't read the following if reading about meat will gross you out, highlight if it won't.

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
I always thought that insofar as dead cow flesh went, ribs were really the epitome of biting into flesh because you had to rip it from the bone. But no cow part made me feel more carnivorous when I ate meat than did a chicken wing, because I had to actually rip it apart to reach some of the meat and could actually suck marrow from the bones.

Jim
#23 Old 04-29-2004, 01:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I always liked chicken better. Never understood the steak thing. Especially how people like it pink in the middle, I always found that extremely gross.
#24 Old 04-29-2004, 01:09 PM

I do.
#25 Old 04-29-2004, 02:38 PM

Kids don't eat steak? Come to Alberta - kindergarten kids have it for their snacks (I kid not).

I have never been much of a steak fan; would only eat it if the choices were a) steak vs b) not eat. It does fill you up, though. And you're full for hours. Most people like that feeling, not the feeling of hunger after spending $30 on a meal and you still have to eat a snack an hour later.

If I never eat steak again, I wouldn't care. I don't even like vegetarian steak stir fry strips.
#26 Old 04-29-2004, 03:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I always liked rare or medium rare steak. Just a little bit bloody. Mmmmmm....
#27 Old 04-29-2004, 04:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Um, an incredible rush from eating steak? More than one person told you this? I can tell you that I have eaten steak before but have never had any kind of rush or high from it. I think they are inventing this to make you feel like you've missed out on something cool, when really it's not.
#28 Old 04-29-2004, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Steak causes me the most remorse and guilt of any animal product. When I think of steak I turn into that big shark character from Finding Nemo. I feel ashamed of myself.

Reading this thread - made me feel weird and kind of dirty in a way - because I related to what everyone was saying (and hate myself for it)....I don't know how to describe it.
#29 Old 04-29-2004, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvmarie View Post

Reading this thread - made me feel weird and kind of dirty in a way - because I related to what everyone was saying (and hate myself for it)....I don't know how to describe it.

I understand that there are veg*ns who don't feel they are giving up anything or losing out on anything by being veg*n, that it opened up a world of options for them that they hadn't explored before. But some of us do feel as if we've lost something and some of us didn't gain any options because we were culinarily adventurous and had already explored most of these options already (nutritional yeast and tofu weren't new to us). I personally think it's perfectly okay to acknowledge that loss once we understand why we chose this lifestyle.

There are complicated and uncomplicated aesthetic, social, and psychological reasons to eat meat, and for some of us we would be fooling ourselves to think we aren't losing them. This rose-colored glasses, everything-is-better-as-a-veg*n view of the world is a barrier to communicating with meat-eaters, whether or not someone is fooling themself. We don't need to feel dirty about acknowledging our appreciation of the taste of meat... certainly not when we choose not to eat it anyway.

I'm sure there are those who move to the Midwest from warmer climates and think that nothing has been lost and that they are continually blessed to be able to experience the beauty of a hard winter. For some that may be true, but for others they are just fooling themselves... and I guess if it helps them get through winter, so be it.

Jim
#30 Old 04-29-2004, 06:51 PM

Hmmmm...I don't actually euate veg*ism with a hard winter. I would think that a more apt comparison would be to someone who once made loads of money exploiting sweatshop workers, saw the error of his/her ways, and now lives a life that may be poorer as to material goods, but richer in every other way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page