Bus problems in the suburbs. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-27-2014, 07:44 AM
Beginner

Why cant those in power create special pull offs for the buses that run in and out of the city to the suburbs? Why must they stop every block and back up traffic?
 What is needed are places that people can go to, like a big depot, and get their bus into the city from there.
 Not to mention that the bus system is subsidized by the gas taxes (at least in our area)
 These things are a plague on the roadways and something needs to be done to reduce their impact on the daily drivers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-27-2014, 01:37 PM

It usually turns out that infrastructure, maintenance, and human resources are too great to be an efficient expense.

If you want good public transit, you have to get more people to adopt it and get rid of single passenger cars, or reduce personal vehicles all together to bring the scale up to the point it is practical.

#3 Old 01-28-2014, 09:10 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandiculationco View Post

It usually turns out that infrastructure, maintenance, and human resources are too great to be an efficient expense.

If you want good public transit, you have to get more people to adopt it and get rid of single passenger cars, or reduce personal vehicles all together to bring the scale up to the point it is practical.

I don't think public transit can every be practical for someone that adheres to a schedule.

What can be a 20 minute drive in the car may very well be an hour or more on a bus.
 Its not feasible for a bus or any public transit to stop right at ones office or home.
 You have to work around their timing, not yours, so lets say you are at work and get a call that something happened to your child at school. You now have to walk a few blocks (not a problem) then wait for a bus, maybe transfer a couple times, and in just a few short hours you can be with your child.
 Or, you can go out to the parking lot, get in the car and be there in 20 to 30 minutes.
 Just like car pooling, works great as long as everyone is on the same time schedule, and nothing comes up that would require one of the group to leave early or stay late.

And this ties into the city thread at this point. With everything basically in walking distance, the concerns for time become greatly reduced and life can be more efficient

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-30-2014, 04:51 PM
Veggie Regular

I'll keep my car, thanks. I don't play well with others.

#5 Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 PM
Veggie Regular

In the city where I live, there are usually pull offs for city buses on the main roads going into the suburbs.  Often times though, people park their vehicles illegally in those pull off sections, even though there are signs that clearly state no parking here to corner bus stop.  So the bus driver has no choice but to stop in the middle of the road.  

Personally, I am not a fan of the ever increasing amount of single cars and trucks on the road.  There is getting to be too much traffic everywhere, even in smaller towns.  People seem to drive to EVERYTHING anymore.  I even see single people come to work in huge SUVs by themselves and park them and stay for eight hours and then leave.  It seems like such a waste of energy and space.  

I try to ride my bicycle six to seven months out of the year and save my car for trips to the grocery store (until I get a better rig on my bike).  In winter my husband and I share my vehicle.  Sometimes I walk or take the bus if the temps aren't too frigid.  I really don't like driving.  I can't deal with the obnoxiousness of other drivers always going to fast and tailgating and in a hurry.  I get harassed often on my bicycle too by vehicle drivers even though I stay well off to the side wherever I can and obey the rules of the road.  My complaint is that cities and especially suburbs are not more bicycle friendly.  I just want to ride my bike in peace without offending someone.  City buses may not be all that convenient for some but they are others only means of transportation when they have a long ways to go.  I am grateful for the bus system where I live.  I used it for many years when I couldn't afford a car.  At the rate I am going with student loans I might be in that position again soon.  

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#6 Old 01-31-2014, 12:59 PM
Banned

Deleted.
#7 Old 02-02-2014, 05:07 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturebound View Post

Personally, I am not a fan of the ever increasing amount of single cars and trucks on the road.  There is getting to be too much traffic everywhere, even in smaller towns.  People seem to drive to EVERYTHING anymore.  I even see single people come to work in huge SUVs by themselves and park them and stay for eight hours and then leave.  It seems like such a waste of energy and space.  

Guilty as charged
 I drive 31 miles each way to work.
 We camp, we pull a 12,000 lb travel trailer, so I have to have a 3500 diesel. Between my wifes car, my truck and my daughters new car, I cant afford another smaller car right now, so Im stuck driving the beast. 19mpg at best and I dont have an option for public transportation or car pooling.
 I justify it with the fact that my wife drives a Jetta TDI that gets 50mpg average on her drive back and forth to work.
 I would love to have something small and conservative to drive, but right now with college payments, payments on my daughters car, the increase in the auto insurance etc... its just not in the cards.
 And yes, I feel guilty and somewhat embarrassed to drive the beast with only me in it. It is a crew cab, long bed, dual rear wheel.
 As soon as I can afford it, Im going to get another TDI for me to drive and let that hog set unless towing.

#8 Old 02-02-2014, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been driving a huge SUV most of the winter. I am usually out and about before the snow plows and don't have time to get myself stuck.

#9 Old 02-03-2014, 03:41 AM
Veggie Regular

My little chevy cavalier has actually been amazing at driving through tons of snow in the winter.  I live in Duluth Minnesota, by lake superior, so I know all about frigid temps and ridiculous snowfalls and blizzards.  The hills here are insane too.  The city buses actually have done an amazing job as well at not getting stuck, and it is rare when they actually shut down service, but on occasion they have, or they just divert their route.  By then there isn't too much open anyway.  

I once saw a guy snowshoeing down the main roads after a blizzard lol.  I thought about snowshoeing into work but my job site is in such a place where I would have to cross too many driveways and commercial areas.  I am accustomed to snowshoeing long distances.  I guess that might be a disadvantage to living and working in the city after all, not being able to snowshoe around as many areas.  If I lived in the country I could snowshoe all over.  Granted it does take more time to get from point a to b.  It isn't uncommon to see snowmobiles driving down the side streets where I live during heavy snowfalls either.  

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#10 Old 02-03-2014, 09:52 AM

It's all a matter of perspective. Depends on if you are the one person in the car or one of the 30 on the bus... I walk one mile every morning and every afternoon to ride the bus from the suburbs to the city. As I wait, I see dozens of singularly occupied vehicles traveling to the city. Imagine if these people carpooled or rode the bus. Sometimes it is an inconvenience to ride the bus, but I am glad to be one of the 30 people on there that are not contributing to pollution and congested city traffic/parking.
Aristede likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page