Unpopular Opinions: Version 2014 - Page 4 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 89Likes

#91 Old 07-24-2014, 01:52 AM

Alcohol does not appeal to me whatsoever. Never cared for the taste and what it can do to people is awful.
Capstan, River, jamjar and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 Old 08-09-2014, 04:51 AM

I think it's possible to have a deep appreciation for wildlife and nature without in particular, being a pet person.
#93 Old 08-15-2014, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Hysterectomies are performed far too often and for unnecessary reasons all around the world. A woman's reproductive organs are useful for far more than producing babies. Our ovaries are endocrine organs that regulate certain hormones and adjust naturally to help us cope with stress on the body. Even in menopause they trickle out important hormones, including testosterone, that help protect bones, skin, collagen etc. The cervix provides structure to the vagina.

Today I mourn the ninth anniversary of when I had a total hysterectomy and woke up from the surgery with both of my ovaries also removed. I was 33 years old and never the same after that surgery. It has been a long long nine years of hurt and healing. Still not totally healed but I have come a long way. I sometimes wonder if a plant based diet back in 2004-2005 would have helped lessen the pain of endometriosis. Wish I had known about veganism then! Still happy to be vegan now though.

In the end, only kindness matters. - Jewel

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#94 Old 08-16-2014, 12:28 AM

I don't really like The Princess Bride very much.
#95 Old 09-02-2014, 01:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I think having a legal concealed handgun is a benefit to your own and public safety.

Disagree if you want, I love a good debate.
River and Rivfader like this.
#96 Old 09-02-2014, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel View Post
I think having a legal concealed handgun is a benefit to your own and public safety.

Oh dear. At least you have enough sense to realize it's an unpopular opinion. I don't even think cops should have guns, so my opinion may be equally unpopular on the other side of the spectrum.

Every fat gun toter thinks he can wake up, take off his sleep apnea mask, strap on a gun and save the world. Can you cite one example where a civilian has done anything but worsen the situation with a gun? I always go back to that kid that shot the congresswoman (and killed others) in Arizona. Two guys with concealed carry brought him down...by tackling him. A guy recently pulled his concealed carry on that other Arizona couple in the Wal-Mart and was promptly gunned down for his trouble.
scwendy likes this.
#97 Old 09-02-2014, 09:35 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frrt View Post
Oh dear. At least you have enough sense to realize it's an unpopular opinion. I don't even think cops should have guns, so my opinion may be equally unpopular on the other side of the spectrum.

Every fat gun toter thinks he can wake up, take off his sleep apnea mask, strap on a gun and save the world. Can you cite one example where a civilian has done anything but worsen the situation with a gun? I always go back to that kid that shot the congresswoman (and killed others) in Arizona. Two guys with concealed carry brought him down...by tackling him. A guy recently pulled his concealed carry on that other Arizona couple in the Wal-Mart and was promptly gunned down for his trouble.
...."theater had a concealed handgun, possibly the attack would have ended like the shooting at the mega New Life Church in Colorado Springs in December 2007.
In that assault, the church’s minister had given Jeanne Assam permission to carry her concealed handgun. The gunman killed two people in the parking lot — but when he entered the church, Assam fired 10 shots, severely wounding him. At that point, the gunman committed suicide.

Similar stories are available from across the country. They include shootings at schools that were stopped before police arrived in such places as Pearl, Miss., and Edinboro, Pa., and at colleges like the Appalachian Law School in Virginia. Or attacks in busy downtowns such as Memphis; at a mall in Salt Lake City, or at an apartment building in Oklahoma.
The ban against nonpolice carrying guns usually rests on the false notion that almost anyone can suddenly go crazy and start misusing their weapon or that any crossfire with a killer would be worse than the crime itself. But in state after state, permit holders are extremely law-abiding. They can lose their permits for any type of firearms-related violation.
Nor have I found a single example on record of a multiple-victim public shooting in which a permit holder accidentally shot a bystander.
And I haven’t even touched upon the pure deterrent effect of a potential mass murderer having to worry that one of his targets might be armed.
The police response in Aurora could hardly have been quicker, with police arriving within a couple of minutes of the first 911 call. And it’s true that the gunman, wearing protective body armor, would have been tough for a civilian to stop.
But the first 911 call was not made until nine minutes after the shooting had started. Even a few minutes can be an eternity for those helplessly cowering unprotected before an armed killer.
In the wake of this crime, gun control advocates have wasted no time offering up more gun control regulations as the way to prevent future tragedies. But aggressive gun control hasn’t prevented multiple-victim public shootings in Europe.
In last year’s shooting near Oslo, 69 people were killed and an additional 110 injured. Germany, a country with some of the strictest gun control in the world — it requires not only extensive psychological screening but also a year’s wait to get a gun — has been the site of three of the worst five multiple-victim K-12 public school shootings in the world, all in the past decade. There are more examples of attacks in countries with strict gun control, like in Austria, Britain, France, Finland and Italy.
The guns used for the attacks in Germany and Norway were obtained illegally. When individuals plan these attacks months or even years in advance, it is virtually impossible to stop them from getting whatever weapons they need.
In the Colorado attack, the killer apparently spent at least four months preparing for the massacre, and had he not been able to purchase the weapons legally, no doubt he would have obtained them illegally. In any case, his 30 homemade grenades might well have caused even more carnage if he had used them in the attack." http://m.nydailynews.com/opinion/con...icle-1.1121161
River likes this.
#98 Old 09-02-2014, 09:59 AM

You quoted an opinion piece from the NY Daily News. I'm just going to let that simmer for a minute. That paper is trash and a mouthpiece for the right.

Canadians own more guns than Americans and they don't shoot one another. Though their guns are almost exclusively used for hunting while many Americans value their firearms as phallus enhancers. As a vegan I suppose I should be somewhat conflicted about that.

It's hard to get guns overseas. That's why the rare massacre in non-gun owning countries sticks out. They're commonplace in the US. Children die, reform is attempted, the gun lobby shoots it down (for lack of a better term.) Children will continue to die. People texting during a movie will continue to die. George Zimmerman types will continue to troll the streets.

Even if there are 100 responsible gun owners for every deranged lunatic that passes a flimsy background check, it's becoming increasingly uncomfortable to step outside.
scwendy likes this.
#99 Old 09-02-2014, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
it's becoming increasingly uncomfortable to step outside.
The murder rate in the US has been declining steadily for the past 30-40 years or so and that includes murders involving firearms.
River, LedBoots, Rivfader and 1 others like this.
#100 Old 09-02-2014, 10:20 AM

Who would have thought a vegetarian forum would double as a gun rights forum? This is like a Twilight Zone episode.

Guns exist to kill. I don't really care if people are killed by them less now than in years past. It's boggling and sickening to me that people covet these things that serve no other purpose than to kill.

ETA: I grew up around guns and have close family members who "responsibly" own them. I still don't come close to understanding it. I suppose I lump it in with omnivorism in that regard. Now for the love of all that is good somebody please save us with a more trivial opinion! I knowingly and stupidly wandered into a firing range.
scwendy likes this.

Last edited by frrt; 09-02-2014 at 10:35 AM.
#101 Old 09-02-2014, 10:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Who would have thought a vegetarian forum would double as a gun rights forum? This is like a Twilight Zone episode.

Guns exist to kill. I don't really care if people are killed by them less now than in years past. It's boggling and sickening to me that people covet these things that serve no other purpose than to kill.
You implied that gun violence in the US has been getting worse when you said it's becoming increasingly uncomfortable to step outside. I get the sense that this is a common misconception that probably stems from gun violence being focused on more by the news in the past few years. So I offered a factual correction. There's no good reason factual accuracy should be upsetting to anyone. I haven't even expressed any opinions on gun rights yet.
LedBoots likes this.
#102 Old 09-02-2014, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post
You implied that gun violence in the US has been getting worse when you said it's becoming increasingly uncomfortable to step outside. I get the sense that this is a common misconception that probably stems from gun violence being focused on more by the news in the past few years. So I offered a factual correction. There's no good reason factual accuracy should be upsetting to anyone. I haven't even expressed any opinions on gun rights yet.
That was an inference on your part. Gun violence may be going down, but gun ownership isn't. Not to mention that the conditions of any one person's comfort shouldn't be able to be defined by somebody else.
#103 Old 09-02-2014, 11:36 AM
Veggie Regular

Per wikipedia, these are the firearm related death rates per 100,000 population for recent years for Canada, USA and the UK:

Canada-- 2.38 (mixed years)-------(of which homicides .50 in 2009)

USA ---- 10.30 (2011)--------------(of which homicides 3.6 in 2011)

UK ------ -- .25 (2010)-------------(of which homicides .04 in 2010)

Leedsveg
scwendy likes this.

Last edited by leedsveg; 09-02-2014 at 11:47 AM.
#104 Old 09-02-2014, 01:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hold on a sec... Disarm the police? For what exactly? Police die most frequently from being shot by criminals and gangbangers. Do you really think without guns they are going to enforce anything against an armed criminal? Or do you believe the pen is mightier than the sword? "Uhhh, Mr. Murderer... Can you please put your weapon down and come with me down to the PD please sir?" Yeah, don't think so.

Why are gun toters all fat, wear sleep apnea masks, and all think they want to save the world? Nice Ad hominem?
I'll tell you, I'm more concerned with me and my family's safety than other people. If given the chance I will do the right thing, but I wouldn't carry a gun just to be a hero. That is ridiculous.

I don't understand the mindset that if a civilian has a gun, the situation will automatically worsen. Like what is going to happen? A gunman comes in and starts shooting randomly, then I see what hes doing and also join in? LOL what? It isn't hard to point a gun at somebody and shoot. What makes you think I'm going to worsen the situation by shooting a gunman?

Heres an example: http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2014...ath-situation/
Its a shame the nutjob didn't listen to the "No Guns" rule at the hospital ^, making a place a no gun zone really makes it safer.... right?
That Doctor stopping the lunatic prevent the death count from being 30, instead of 2.

Feel free to run at a gunman and tackle him if some nut starts shooting up the place. It'll buy me a few extra seconds to pull out my carry and blow the guy away.

Last edited by Diesel; 09-02-2014 at 01:58 PM.
#105 Old 09-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
You quoted an opinion piece from the NY Daily News. I'm just going to let that simmer for a minute. That paper is trash and a mouthpiece for the right.

Canadians own more guns than Americans and they don't shoot one another. Though their guns are almost exclusively used for hunting while many Americans value their firearms as phallus enhancers. As a vegan I suppose I should be somewhat conflicted about that.

It's hard to get guns overseas. That's why the rare massacre in non-gun owning countries sticks out. They're commonplace in the US. Children die, reform is attempted, the gun lobby shoots it down (for lack of a better term.) Children will continue to die. People texting during a movie will continue to die. George Zimmerman types will continue to troll the streets.

Even if there are 100 responsible gun owners for every deranged lunatic that passes a flimsy background check, it's becoming increasingly uncomfortable to step outside.
Canadians have more guns and they don't shoot each other more? I guess that proves that guns aren't the problem, people are. In that case, you just justified my reasons to stay armed.

You are worried about people dying? Go look at drunk driving statistics. You should be for banning alchohol. Because gun crime doesn't even come close. Gun crime isn't even on the top 20 death chart, and people are acting like it is the biggest problem in America. I blame the media and their brainwashing.

You can straight up just ban guns in the USA, and criminals/crazies will still have them. Only law abiding citizens won't. Explain to me how this is good?

Quote:

ETA: I grew up around guns and have close family members who "responsibly" own them. I still don't come close to understanding it. I suppose I lump it in with omnivorism in that regard. Now for the love of all that is good somebody please save us with a more trivial opinion! I knowingly and stupidly wandered into a firing range.
Why are you saying vegetarians can't be for gun rights? Don't compare us to omnivores either. Where do you get these weird ideas from?

Don't use emotion to argue, it leads to irrationality.

Why do you think legally armed ctiizens carry weapons? Because they want to kill people? These ideas have no evidence supporting them, they are just emotional rants.

Quote:
That was an inference on your part. Gun violence may be going down, but gun ownership isn't. Not to mention that the conditions of any one person's comfort shouldn't be able to be defined by somebody else.
Oh ok. YOUR comforts shouldn't be defined by somebody else.. Alright fine. Agreed.

How about MY self defense options shouldn't be defined by somebody else either.

And let me get this straight, gun violence is going down. Isn't that what we all want?

Why are you against gun ownership? Are you just irrationally afraid of guns or something? Makes no sense.

Does anybody else think there might be a correlation between the two also?
#106 Old 09-02-2014, 02:24 PM
Veggie Regular

This thread is about gun control. Link

These threads usually crop up once or twice a year, they go round in a traditional circle and nobody's opinion is changed.

I don't usually bother entering the fray these days but good luck to those that do.

Lv

Last edited by leedsveg; 09-02-2014 at 02:26 PM.
#107 Old 09-02-2014, 02:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Hold on a sec... Disarm the police? For what exactly? Police die most frequently from being shot by criminals and gangbangers.
Last year there were 111 officers killed in the line of duty, 33 of which were due to gunfire. Most of the deaths were likely due to automobile accidents. Jobs with higher fatality rates than police work include construction work, logging, fishing, driving, trucking, roofing and some other jobs I can't recall off the top of my head.

I'm not in favor of completely disarming police at all times, but I also don't think they necessarily need to be armed at all times. Other countries have proven that this is viable. The police in the US right now are massively over militarized, with the military giving excess equipment to small town police departments with no need for them and no-knock SWAT raids being conducted against suspected drug users, often resulting in dead pets or even dead residents, and scared children.
#108 Old 09-02-2014, 02:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post
Last year there were 111 officers killed in the line of duty, 33 of which were due to gunfire. Most of the deaths were likely due to automobile accidents. Jobs with higher fatality rates than police work include construction work, logging, fishing, driving, trucking, roofing and some other jobs I can't recall off the top of my head.

I'm not in favor of completely disarming police at all times, but I also don't think they necessarily need to be armed at all times. Other countries have proven that this is viable. The police in the US right now are massively over militarized, with the military giving excess equipment to small town police departments with no need for them and no-knock SWAT raids being conducted against suspected drug users, often resulting in dead pets or even dead residents, and scared children.
http://www.nleomf.org/facts/officer-...ta/causes.html

Shot is the highest. Vehicle related stuff is only higher if you group them all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedsveg View Post
Per wikipedia, these are the firearm related death rates per 100,000 population for recent years for Canada, USA and the UK:

Canada-- 2.38 (mixed years)-------(of which homicides .50 in 2009)

USA ---- 10.30 (2011)--------------(of which homicides 3.6 in 2011)

UK ------ -- .25 (2010)-------------(of which homicides .04 in 2010)

Leedsveg
61% of USA gun deaths are suicide. (50% of suicides are caused by guns, and there are about 40,000 total suicides each year in the USA.)
Around 25-30% are gang/police related.
And the rest fall into smaller scattered categories.

Suicides and gang violence will be no different without legal guns, instead people will be overdosing on pills and gangsters get their guns on the black market anyways. Who suffers? The law abiding gun owner, ONLY.

If you want to reduce those stats, go figure out why so many people in America are committing suicide.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...e-data-table-8
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/homicide.htm
http://www.factcheck.org/2012/12/gun...-vs-gun-facts/

Last edited by Diesel; 09-02-2014 at 02:50 PM.
#109 Old 09-02-2014, 04:26 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

You asked for examples of armed citizens saving lives, so I quoted a piece that had several examples of exactly what you asked for in it.

Do you prefer buzzfeed? I'm sorry that huffpo and msnbc probably won't headline these types of stories.
http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthi...e-wit?s=mobile
#110 Old 09-23-2014, 06:17 AM

Almost any educated, middle-class parent can get their kid the gifted label.
#111 Old 09-23-2014, 10:58 AM
Beginner

I actually LIKE having a large family and taking care of my children when I am not working.

I don't want "me" time or "date" night on a set basis.
LedBoots likes this.
#112 Old 09-23-2014, 12:50 PM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to DTASFAB
I believe that libertarianism and veganism go hand in hand, almost. It's like the political spectrum is really not a line, but a circle where the top half is the mainstream pro-government ideology and everything in the bottom half wants smaller government. I see veganism below the line on the left and extreme anarchistic militia groups below the line on the right. The two points never touch, however. We're just in the same vicinity, because on the left, we have a lawless utopia where government is not needed idealistically and everyone makes the correct moral choices without any guidance, while on the right, it's a Darwinian free for all.
#113 Old 09-27-2014, 11:34 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Quote:

While it's true (as Leedsveg pointed out) that we already have threads just for discussing issues concerning firearms and gun ownership.... it's kind of cool that you posted an opinion which is genuinely unpopular (or at least controversial) on VB. I suspect lots of the other "unpopular" opinions we've posted here might be unpopular in the general population, but not necessarily here.

I haven't made up my mind about how effective firearms might be (for someone who's not a law enforcement officer) for defending oneself or others. My cousin has a rifle which used to belong to my dad, and he said I could have it if I wanted it... but I don't know where I would be able to practice with it since I don't own a car and can't shoot a rifle in the area where I live (see below). Shooting being a physical skill, I'd need to get some practice with it to use it effectively. Anyway, I don't know that I need a gun for defense, and although I've heard it said that it's better to need a gun and not have it than have a gun and not need it, I don't necessarily agree.

Here's one of mine: I think people should be randomly selected to re-take a road test when they renew their driver's license.

Some background: I'm not a careless driver, but have not owned a car since maybe 1982, and have not driven at all since late 2010. Yet, when I went to my state's Motor Vehicle agency to renew my driver's license, and volunteered the info that I had not been behind the wheel for about two years at that time, and had driven only sporadically for several years before, they said it would not be necessary for me to be road-tested again.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.

Last edited by Tom; 09-27-2014 at 11:41 AM.
#114 Old 09-27-2014, 12:54 PM

Unpopular Opinions....

Hmmmm....

I am an atheist, a vegan, a libertarian, and a misanthrope.....

Yup, that'll cover it.
Kiwibird08 and DTASFAB like this.

Always be satisfied with what you have. Never be satisfied with what you are.
#115 Old 09-27-2014, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanthrope View Post
I don't think those are very unpopular opinions here.
#116 Old 09-27-2014, 08:28 PM
No flesh since 99'

Quote:
Originally Posted by oodlesofnoodles View Post
Alcohol does not appeal to me whatsoever. Never cared for the taste and what it can do to people is awful.
Same here! I used to drink at parties and with friends because thats what 'everybody' did. Then as I nursed a particularly unpleasant hangover and badly cut up/bruised shins one morning, I got to thinking about all the other things I could have been doing besides lying on the couch half dead with pain radiating up my legs. I asked myself why I was drinking copious quantities of something that tasted (and smelled) like a harsh chemical cleaner and made me act stupid just to impress the kind of people who seemed to genuinely find enjoyment in being smashed drunk. I had no good answer for myself, so I haven't drank since. Those friends also disappeared pretty quickly too. Never wanted to do anything but party... I may not be a social butterfly now, but I've done so many truly awesome things that actually added value to my life.
Tom likes this.
#117 Old 09-27-2014, 08:37 PM
No flesh since 99'

I have no desire whatsoever to be involved with social media, have the latest gadgets, wear 'fashionable' clothes, register to vote or have my every action validated by friends, family or society at large. I'm intelligent and informed. I don't make decisions out of ignorance, and 'ignorance' is not defined by your personal opinion or disagreement.
DTASFAB likes this.
#118 Old 09-29-2014, 08:22 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to DTASFAB
Quote:
Originally Posted by misanthrope View Post
Unpopular Opinions....

Hmmmm....

Yup, that'll cover it.
#119 Old 09-29-2014, 08:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
If you want to reduce those stats, go figure out why so many people in America are committing suicide.
I think you'll find that the stats I supplied has a column which discounts gun related suicides and only shows gun related homicides. I'm happy to let these stats for three different countries, speak for themselves.
#120 Old 09-29-2014, 10:57 AM

If I see one more child being raised as a "sensitive flower" I will scream. Kids needs lots of experiences, some that work some that bore, some that challenge and some that might even get them worked up a bit.

Bringing kids up as special and sensitive and believing the world revolves around them is something i don't want.

Also, I think kids should do chores. That's it.
River, Rivfader and Kiwibird08 like this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page