Individuals vs. Species? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-22-2013, 11:23 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Today I was reading a book, Horseshoe Crabs and Velvet Worms by Richard Fortey, and it got me thinking about protecting specific species or individuals.

Tom Regan's views support individuals be considered equals, so an invasive species like... European Starling (invasive to the US, from England) individuals be given the same consideration as indivduals from the native species of birds now threatened. The life of a polar bear or other climate change sensitive nonhuman would have the same value as a climate change hearty nonhuman. Essentially endangered species would have no greater protection than common species, but the value for all individuals would be greater protected.

Contrast that to say... an Aldo Leopold ethic where it is the preservation of the whole biotic conmunity, woth an emphasis on the endangered and free/wild. In that view, invasives and animals that threaten endangered species would be removed from the ecosystem, likely killed.

Where do you stand? Are you for the individual or for the species?

Should endangered species be given "body guard" style protections? What should happen to invasive species?

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-22-2013, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I tend to value the individual, but my answer would change depending on the impact on the ecosystem. If only one or two other species are negatively impacted, then I wouldn't do anything about the invasive species. However, if the ecosystem as a whole is threatened, that becomes a different matter.

#3 Old 09-22-2013, 04:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Individual, but only in right to life and freedom from cruelty, not in right to property. So for example, nonnative/troublesome species could be relocated/rehomed or neutered/given birth control.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-22-2013, 04:30 PM
Beginner's Mind

Indeed. It's absurd to suppose we could feed every individual creature and allow all of them to promulgate endlessly. The current imbalance results from our attempt to ensure this to one species -- ourselves. For a finite planet to supply each lifeform with sufficient comfort, we must permit limits on reproduction. I think it's false that natural instinct in mammals is only to spread to the furthest possible extent allowed by competition -- we need to respect our true innate response to resource shortfalls and gradually scale back our overly self-aware intervention into the interactions between animals to help the ecosystem reassert its own corrective functions. At least, that is what I personally tend to believe could eventually manifest: for the time being, we do need to deliberately control situational impacts caused by our deliberate campaigns for excessive resources.

Jenner: I learned this much: take what you can, when you can.

Justin: Then you have learned nothing!

The Secret of NIMH

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page