Stop whining about your own privelaged existence - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 09-16-2013, 10:04 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 738

You all live in developed countries. You have access to clean drinking water, you are not refugees, there is no war where you live, the poorest amongst you still got free primary and secondary education, no one you have ever known died of hunger (though many died of heat attacks due to overnutrition and malnutrition due to eating junk food). You are free to practice your own religion.

yet thye amount of whining I hear from people about how they are upset that someone uses this or that word, or they feel they need to demonstrate their " oppressed status' despite being in such an incredibly well off position is just mind boggling.

Whilst animals suffer the worst holocaust in history just whine whine whine. Poor me poor me poor me.

Get a grip. I am from the poorest of backgrounds and have a learning difficulty. Am I under privelaged? Am I [email protected]! And you aren;t either.
 

count your blessings and help other beinmgs who are being tortured and murdered.

Houndulation is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 09-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Your use of over generalizations is staggering. You don't know any of us or our lives. You have no idea what some of us are dealing with or reeling from.

Maybe you should stop whining about other people whining when you haven't the foggiest idea of the personal lives of any of us.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#3 Old 09-16-2013, 10:58 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by River View Post

Your use of over generalizations is staggering. You don't know any of us or our lives. You have no idea what some of us are dealing with or reeling from.

Maybe you should stop whining about other people whining when you haven't the foggiest idea of the personal lives of any of us.

Which members of you familly have been arrested by the police and never seen again?

When was you village bombed by Government troops

How many of your friends starved to death last year?

When did someone arrest you for not following the state religion?

How long did it take you familly to save up so that your eldest sibling could go to secondary school?

Are you kept in a breeding crate to breed children who will be stolen from you and eaten whilst you are constantly bread from until you are exhausted and are slaughtered and turned into Sausages?

Are you hung up by your kneck and beaten to death because it makes you taste better?

Are you crammed into a cage so you can;t move so your eggs can be harvested?

If you have a son will be be immediately thrown into a mincer because we don;t need boys?

No?

Then stop whining  and count your blessings.

Houndulation is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 09-17-2013, 01:26 AM
 
ponyboy85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 942
All subjective really
ponyboy85 is offline  
#5 Old 09-17-2013, 02:15 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

All subjective really

 

 There is just no comparison. I could whine that I was born working class in the heavily class ridden society of the UK and spend my life with a chip on my shoulder or that I have ADD and my school didn't recognize it so I joined the army when others of my IQ went to university. AFAIAC its like Paul Allen complaining that he doesn;t earn as much as Steve Jobs  or Naomi Campbell whining that she didn;t make as much money in her hayday as Kate Moss (oh hang on she DID whine that she was only the 3rd highest earning model in the UK and screamed racism because  Moss made more money.)
 

I don;t whine because I am a human living in a liberal democracy. Its a disgrace to be so privelaged and whine because a miniscule fraction of sentient beings are better off than you

Houndulation is offline  
#6 Old 09-17-2013, 03:43 AM
 
ponyboy85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 942
I understand your point but I don't think you needed to go into your own details unless you were looking for a pat on the back and a well done from the forum. At times in your post you sound like you are twisting about your situation!

As you show everyone has their own problems and deal with it in different ways. I have seen a lot of the world and understand how harsh it is, I lived in the bush in Cameroon where I came across some of the happiest and friendliest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting despite their 'hardships' (there life isn't particularly hard except their lack of access to health care).

Complaining is something brought on by the western world and is often bred into people from a young age so they don't know any different.

Like I said I do get your point though when I have bad days or come across challenges I always remember that my life is a complete doddle. Maybe it's because our lives are so easy that when something happens it affects individuals more greatly?

Bit of a ramble post.
ponyboy85 is offline  
#7 Old 09-17-2013, 04:45 AM
 
yingchen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Singapore
Posts: 647
We all need to be able to vent. I don't think anyone doubts that first-world 'oppression' is not half as bad as what people experience in other parts of the world. In fact, as far as animals are concerned, the fact that most of us are here means we recognise that we have the incredible privilege of being human, and that what we go through really doesn't compare at all to what animals go through.

You need to realise that this forum is not an accurate representation of which issues in this world we think most urgently need to be addressed. In the great scheme of things, a vegan Starbucks spiced pumpkin latte doesn't even begin to deserve a passing mention. If you thought that then sure, I can see why you'd think that we're just a bunch of first-world whiners who don't know how to appreciate what we have. However, you don't know what we do with our lives. You don't know what we talk about outside this forum. You don't know what we think. You've accused me of not caring about racism in Singapore before. What in the world gives you that idea just because I don't talk about it on VB? I'm not interested in talking about it here, that's all. I engage in these discussions with my friends and family all the time.
River likes this.

Check out my blog,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, a reflection of anime, veganism and animal rights!
Latest post: Serial Experiments Lain and the Upper Layer of Reality
yingchen is offline  
#8 Old 09-17-2013, 05:44 AM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761

Why did this even come up? Have you been reading too many vent threads? Forums are a good place to vent IMO. For sure most of us, in fact, I'd wager all of us, have it a lot easier than animals, but that doesn't actually mean we don't have issues worth venting about you know. Venting doesn't make a person an idiot, just kind of human. 

River likes this.

~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#9 Old 09-17-2013, 07:02 AM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
.

Blobbenstein is offline  
#10 Old 09-17-2013, 10:29 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

I understand your point but I don't think you needed to go into your own details unless you were looking for a pat on the back and a well done from the forum. At times in your post you sound like you are twisting about your situation!

As you show everyone has their own problems and deal with it in different ways. I have seen a lot of the world and understand how harsh it is, I lived in the bush in Cameroon where I came across some of the happiest and friendliest people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting despite their 'hardships' (there life isn't particularly hard except their lack of access to health care).

Complaining is something brought on by the western world and is often bred into people from a young age so they don't know any different.

Like I said I do get your point though when I have bad days or come across challenges I always remember that my life is a complete doddle. Maybe it's because our lives are so easy that when something happens it affects individuals more greatly?

Bit of a ramble post.

No it makes sense. I get the Cameroon thing. Its pretty much the same here in Thailand  though health care is better.It not just griping its the people who know about what is happening animals but want their own petty imagined opression to be taken seriously.

 

i am certainly not looking for a pat on the back. What I am saying is that being born working class in the UK with ADHD is NO BIG ISSUE. It is a tiny problem compared to that which animals face or people in Syria endure and that it would be selfishly indulgent for me to expect people to listen to me whine about class oprression when the reality is that it really isn't a big issue.

 

Houndulation is offline  
#11 Old 09-17-2013, 10:31 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingchen View Post

We all need to be able to vent. I don't think anyone doubts that first-world 'oppression' is not half as bad as what people experience in other parts of the world. In fact, as far as animals are concerned, the fact that most of us are here means we recognise that we have the incredible privilege of being human, and that what we go through really doesn't compare at all to what animals go through.

You need to realise that this forum is not an accurate representation of which issues in this world we think most urgently need to be addressed. In the great scheme of things, a vegan Starbucks spiced pumpkin latte doesn't even begin to deserve a passing mention. If you thought that then sure, I can see why you'd think that we're just a bunch of first-world whiners who don't know how to appreciate what we have. However, you don't know what we do with our lives. You don't know what we talk about outside this forum. You don't know what we think. You've accused me of not caring about racism in Singapore before. What in the world gives you that idea just because I don't talk about it on VB? I'm not interested in talking about it here, that's all. I engage in these discussions with my friends and family all the time.

Actually I am not talking about you here. You don''t come on telling us how oppressed you are. About Pumkin lattes by all means talk about the and how good they are ( I have never tried one) But donl;t whine that they are too expensive and the system doesn;t allow you to have them for free

Houndulation is offline  
#12 Old 09-17-2013, 10:32 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer C View Post
 

Why did this even come up? Have you been reading too many vent threads? Forums are a good place to vent IMO. For sure most of us, in fact, I'd wager all of us, have it a lot easier than animals, but that doesn't actually mean we don't have issues worth venting about you know. Venting doesn't make a person an idiot, just kind of human. 

Íts my usual gripe about the same people I always have a gripe about. You know who I mean I dont need to spell it out.

Houndulation is offline  
#13 Old 09-17-2013, 11:34 AM
Zelda Freak
 
Jennifer C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Rainy Portland, Oregon
Posts: 3,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndulation View Post
 

Íts my usual gripe about the same people I always have a gripe about. You know who I mean I dont need to spell it out.

 

Ok, I see. Well, I hope venting helps then. 


~ Jennifer
 
* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* Find me:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
+
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jennifer C is offline  
#14 Old 09-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lentil City, UK
Posts: 2,535

Don't you DARE try and devalue my privileged right to whinge *feels oppressed*

 

I totally understand what you're saying but, frankly, we all need to vent sometimes.  I tend to offload to friends in real life rather than online but not everyone has the opportunity to do that.  There's also the fact that sometimes you can't always open up to those who know you so a www.com vent is the only way to go!

60225 is offline  
#15 Old 09-17-2013, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 1,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houndulation View Post
 
Deleted

 

What's the big difference, other than the one happens to annoy you and the other one doesn't?

 

Whatever any one individual complains about, there will be thousands, most probably millions, who have/had it worse in that regard on that particular day, or always.

Beautiful Joe is offline  
#16 Old 09-17-2013, 01:38 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Lentil City, UK
Posts: 2,535

Clearly I've missed something, I thought this was more of a generalised 'stop crying about first world problems' kind of thing.

 

*smiles and sidles out of thread ...*

60225 is offline  
#17 Old 09-17-2013, 01:42 PM
Herbivorous Urchin
 
River's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 9,721
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quiet-Vegan View Post

Clearly I've missed something, I thought this was more of a generalised 'stop crying about first world problems' kind of thing.

*smiles and sidles out of thread ...*

No, it's another thread where the OP wants very badly to personally attack members because we're not suffering badly enough to meet his limbo bar of acceptable whining/venting.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
River is offline  
#18 Old 09-17-2013, 01:46 PM
Impeach the gangster
 
Capstan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,052

MOD POST- This thread is temporarily locked, in order to resolve some posting issues.


"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
Capstan is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off