PETA - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-07-2013, 08:36 PM

Am I the only one freaking out over PETA killing animals. How a can this not be a breach in ethics. Thank goodness I never sent them money.....just want to tell anyone who care that as of today I have lost 68 lbs. thanks for listening smiley.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

There have been many many many threads over the years about PETAs kill shelter, you're definitely not the only one.

Many vegans hate PETA.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
Oscar Wilde, The Picture of Dorian Gray
#3 Old 07-07-2013, 08:52 PM
Riot Nrrrd

I didn't see how this thread fit the "Fun N Games" forum, so I moved it to a more appropriate category.

ElaineV likes this.

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-08-2013, 05:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Congratulations on your weight loss smiley.gif

Now, what are YOU doing to stop the pet overpopulation problem?  Complaining about PETA does nothing.  Rescuing one or two animals to be your pet/s does virtually nothing.  If you're not out there spending your time and resources trapping cats and spaying and neutering them, or otherwise actively involved in stopping the problem, you have nothing to say about it worth listening to.  It's just so easy and worthless to sit back and complain about what others are doing while doing nothing yourself.  

Whatever you might have to say about PETA, they don't kill for fun:

http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2013/03/21/Why-We-Euthanize.aspx

http://www.peta.org/b/thepetafiles/archive/2009/05/14/why-must-we-euthanize-part-ii.aspx

http://www.peta.org/about/faq/Couldnt-we-just-build-more-animal-shelters-rather-than-euthanize-dogs-and-cats.aspx

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ingrid-newkirk/euthanasia-we-wont-run-fr_b_3036311.html

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#5 Old 07-08-2013, 07:17 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

I'm honestly a bit tired of people criticizing PETA for killing animals. They do SO MUCH good for animals, that any chance people can to tear them down and make an excuse not to listen to their message, they will jump on it.

Frankly, we aren't in PETA's position with the animals so it's unfair to judge. Maybe any of us would make tough decisions when in their shoes. Everyone acts like they are such perfect moral agents and they could never do certain things, but the issue is that people are rarely in these "push comes to shove" positions. It's always easier to make comments when you are on the sidelines not doing any of the dirty work. Think about it.

Frankly, shelters euthanize animals ALL THE TIME because there are simply too many to handle. I don't agree with it, but it may be better than throwing them back on the streets where lurkers with nothing better to do have firecrackers on hand. Why is everyone so quick to always jump on PETA and not these "kill shelters" that also many times do care about animals?

PETA realizes the heart of the issue. They have been advocating for animals constantly, for people to get them fixed, for people not to buy and instead adopt. That can only do so much in so much time as many animals still litter unsafe areas. Unfortunately too many people are still buying instead of adopting.

I have been reading "The PETA Practical Guide to Animal Rights: Simple Acts of Kindness to Help Animals in Trouble." It might do you some good to read it. I'm tired of all the negativity with PETA. and frankly, I'm not the biggest fan of PETA nor are they my favorite org. http://www.amazon.com/PETA-Practical-Guide-Animal-Rights/dp/0312559941/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1373336188&sr=8-1&keywords=peta+guide

jewelkid87, t0mmy and Jennifer C like this.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#6 Old 07-08-2013, 11:01 PM

people want to keep on eating meat, so even if it was 'omg ingrid newkirk once farted in the direction of a bluebottle!!!', some people are going to latch on to it with much faux outrage.
t0mmy likes this.

#7 Old 07-09-2013, 12:57 AM

Irizary are you vegan or vegetarian? If so what's the point because it does virtually nothing in the grand scheme of people consuming animal products.

I think what angers people is the fact they may have sent donations that have then been used to put healthy animals to sleep. People would prefer to see THEIR money NOT go to paying wages or go into killing animals.

I don't understand the US in the UK very few stray animals are put to sleep. They tend to be neutered then quickly re-homed. Your authorities should be ashamed to have let the situation get so bad.
#8 Old 07-09-2013, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyboy85 View Post

I don't understand the US in the UK very few stray animals are put to sleep. They tend to be neutered then quickly re-homed. Your authorities should be ashamed to have let the situation get so bad.

The authorities in the U.S. seem to have no interest in helping homeless companion animals. Despite the righteous protestations of many Americans, we're a very immoral and unethical society. No question about it.

#9 Old 07-09-2013, 08:40 AM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

Irizary are you vegan or vegetarian? If so what's the point because it does virtually nothing in the grand scheme of people consuming animal products.

I think what angers people is the fact they may have sent donations that have then been used to put healthy animals to sleep. People would prefer to see THEIR money NOT go to paying wages or go into killing animals.

You seem to have a lot of anger. I get it, things suck, but the US is a VERY large country with VERY large states and a very diverse population. The US is organized differently than the UK, in that states generally have control over things like animal welfare, and not all states are doing very little. Hell, not all municipalities are doing very little. Before you go making blanket statements about an entire country of several hundred million people, think for a minute.

And what "authorities" are you even talking about?

I understand your anger over animals being killed -- most people here do -- especially Irizary, one of the most vegany-vegan members here.

I'm not sure why you're running around the forum telling people they're not doing enough, because it doesn't exactly make them want to do more when they are scolded for, often, doing what they can.
Irizary and leedsveg like this.

Quote:
"You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit.”
#10 Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 AM

PETA doesn't do anything for animals but profit off their suffering. Really name
One thing PETA has done? Their commercials are sexist and they would rather spend money on celebrity endorsements than saving the some 2000 dogs they kill each year in their shelters. Seriously f*ck PETA and their screwed up messages. They do nothing but make people hate vegans and vegetarians, and saving pets from the shelter does do something, it saves a life!
#11 Old 07-09-2013, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I wouldn't and didn't say "what's the point," but I would agree that while it's important, just being vegan does very little for animals.  That's why I'm an activist - I leaflet with veg literature, I protest, I've spent considerable time and resources trying to spread the word and make social and legal change for animals.  

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggie-cat View Post

PETA doesn't do anything for animals but profit off their suffering. Really name
One thing PETA has done? 

Like or dislike PETA, this marks you as someone who doesn't know what they're talking about.

http://www.peta.org/about/learn-about-peta/history.aspx

Look up the Silver Spring monkeys case, among other things. 

jewelkid87 and River like this.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#12 Old 07-09-2013, 01:48 PM

Hey river

I'm not angry at all I just can't work out how a 'civilised' country like the US does not run the same as the UK whereby in most places strays are collected by the council/police taken to kennels where they receive vet care, are neutered and then re-homed. The council and the police work side by side with the kennels but they don't receive any funding and successfully work on donations alone. As far as I'm aware it's only the RSPCA and a few kennels that put healthy dogs and cats to sleep.

I would also like you to post a quote in which I have 'told someone they aren't doing enough'. I am happy to debate, discuss and concede topics and opinion but I never tell people they are not doing enough. Even if I did it has no correlation with the topic of this thread.

Irizary - agree I volunteer as much as I can at the local dog shelter so I can give the dogs some of the attention that they have been neglected of. However, I think people like the TS have every right to complain about businesses like PETA especially when most non-vegans assume every vegan is a devout follower of them.
#13 Old 07-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Herbivorous Urchin

Quote:

Hey river

I'm not angry at all I just can't work out how a 'civilised' country like the US does not run the same as the UK whereby in most places strays are collected by the council/police taken to kennels where they receive vet care, are neutered and then re-homed. The council and the police work side by side with the kennels but they don't receive any funding and successfully work on donations alone. As far as I'm aware it's only the RSPCA and a few kennels that put healthy dogs and cats to sleep.

I would also like you to post a quote in which I have 'told someone they aren't doing enough'. I am happy to debate, discuss and concede topics and opinion but I never tell people they are not doing enough. Even if I did it has no correlation with the topic of this thread.

Irizary - agree I volunteer as much as I can at the local dog shelter so I can give the dogs some of the attention that they have been neglected of. However, I think people like the TS have every right to complain about businesses like PETA especially when most non-vegans assume every vegan is a devout follower of them.

O.o the way the UK does things os not the only way they can be done. When Henry Burgh returned from England he founded the ASPCA - based on the RSPCA and they act essentially the same. I have never lived in a state where animals weren't collected, taken to shelters, spay/neutered, then adopted out. I've also never worked in a shelter where healthy animals that could have homes were put down. Dont forget Ingrid newkirk is a brit - not an American.

In several threads you have told people simply being vegan isn't enough. It's mean for people to hear that when many have a hard enough time being vegan in the first place.

I would post quotes if I wasn't on my phone, making that more trouble than it's worth.

I hate how omnis think vegans love PETA -_-

Quote:
#14 Old 07-09-2013, 03:45 PM
I ♥ Vegan Guys ◕‿◕

Quote:

One thing PETA has done? Their commercials are sexist and they would rather spend money on celebrity endorsements than saving the some 2000 dogs they kill each year in their shelters. Seriously f*ck PETA and their screwed up messages. They do nothing but make people hate vegans and vegetarians, and saving pets from the shelter does do something, it saves a life!

PETA has kept animal rights out of the dark...................I dont' necessarily like all their tactics but I feel no place to criticize when I can't do much better.

"Why should man expect his prayer for mercy to be heard by What is above him when he shows no mercy to what is under him?" ~Pierre Troubetzkoy
#15 Old 07-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Veggie Regular

There is NO EXCUSE for an "animal rights" organization to be killing dogs and cats and there's no excuse for them condemning an entire breed. And Ingrid Newkirk is bat**** crazy. Save a pit bull, ban Ingrid.

Werewolf Girl and veggie-cat like this.
#16 Old 07-09-2013, 04:21 PM
Tom
Veggie Regular

I have mixed feelings about PeTA.

For now at least, I believe PeTA does much more good for animals than harm. But... when they say things like "Animals are not ours to eat, wear, use, or experiment on" (I'm not sure I got that quote verbatim, but it's close), they set their own bar very high. And it comes back to bite them if they euthanize strays, even if they really do believe it's for the animals' own good.

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#17 Old 07-09-2013, 11:43 PM

You think I'm bashing the US don't you? I'm really not that bothered about country boundaries I just don't want harm coming to the planet or any living being on it if isnt necessary. I also think Ingrid Newkirk is a total douche and I would love to see her monthly payslips

I've told people going vegan isn't enough? Say what!?!?
#18 Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I also have mixed feeling about PETA. On the one hand I think that their educational stuff DOES do good, and does make people think about veg*nism (it was thanks to their leaflets about what happens to hens and cows so we can have their eggs and milk that I became vegan), on the other hand I hate a lot of stuff they do.

I think the difference between PETA, and a kill shelter, is that PETA is an animal rights organisation that is killing animals. Plus PETA get countless thousands of dollars in donations to help animals, not kill them. Perhaps if PETA put a little more money towards helping out stray cats and dogs, and less on absurd campaigns (like campaigning against Pokemon, or Mario, or games like Super Meat Boy) that only serve to waste money and make animal rights people look crazy, they might be able to help more animals, which is what people donate to them to do.

"Through the centuries, we have projected onto the wolf the qualities we most despise and fear in ourselves." ~ Barry Lopez.
#19 Old 07-10-2013, 05:55 PM

An email from PETA:

Dear supporters,

Philippine Airlines issued a statement on its Facebook page stating that the airline will no longer transport "any and all types of primates destined for cruel research and experimentation."

The airline's statement explains that this new policy is a direct result of PETA's relentless efforts to urge it to stop shipping primates destined for painful and deadly experiments.

Since earlier this year, PETA Asia and our affiliates have staged colorful protests at Philippine Airlines offices around the world. Recently, PETA Asia activists even visited two of the company's ticket offices to let customers know about the cruelty that they were supporting by flying on the airline. Other activists also lent a helping hand to the campaign by conducting demonstrations at Philippine Airlines offices in Sydney, Taipei, Seoul and elsewhere. And tens of thousands of supporters like you picked up the phone and wrote e-mails to Philippine Airlines making it clear that you wouldn't be giving the airline your business until it stopped shipping primates to misery in laboratories.

Philippine Airlines' decision is another major blow for the primate experimentation industry. Philippine Airlines has shipped hundreds of monkeys from a breeding facility on the Indonesian island of Java to laboratories around the world, including the University of Washington and Shin Nippon Biomedical Laboratories. Not anymore.

Only two major international airlines continue to ship monkeys to laboratories: Air France and China Southern Airlines. Please write them now, and also take the time to thank Philippine Airlines on their Facebook page: www.Facebook.com/flyPAL

Thank you so much for your action for animals!

Sincerely,

Jason Baker
Vice-President
People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals Asia

#20 Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Veggie Regular

i think i'm staying out of most of this thread and keeping my opinions about peta to myself but...

Quote:

Really name One thing PETA has done?
peta is the reason i became a vegetarian 15+ years ago. there's one thing they did
#21 Old 07-11-2013, 01:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirpkatze View Post

i think i'm staying out of most of this thread and keeping my opinions about peta to myself but...
peta is the reason i became a vegetarian 15+ years ago. there's one thing they did

Could this be a "what have the Romans done for us* (apart from the sanitation, medicine, education, wine, public order, irrigation, roads, the fresh water system and public health)" moment? popcorn.gif

(*with thanks to Life Of Brian)

#22 Old 07-18-2013, 01:09 AM
Banned

Quote:

i) Name on thing peta has done. OK peta have just funded a local investigation into animal abuse here in Thailand. I am not saying what it is yet but you will find out soon enough.

ii) Their commercials are sexist? This harms animals how exactly? I like seeing pretty girls with no clothes on and my activist cousin likes seeing the buff atheletic guys. Who is harmed- it brings in lots of publicity?

iii) peta does not spend money on celebrity endorsements. Celebrities endorse for free (and are often big donors)

iv) they euthunaize dogs that are in a terrible state. Dogs that no kill shelters won't touch. Everyone dies but we don't have to be in pain.

v) The big meat industry sure hates them which is why they fund anti peta commercials.

vi) Here is where we come in. I have saved 6 dogs but I canl;t take any more in. There are hundreds out there.

#23 Old 07-18-2013, 01:18 AM
Banned

Quote:

You think I'm bashing the US don't you? I'm really not that bothered about country boundaries I just don't want harm coming to the planet or any living being on it if isnt necessary. I also think Ingrid Newkirk is a total douche and I would love to see her monthly payslips

Newkirk takes a very small salary.

#24 Old 07-18-2013, 01:01 PM

I did not think this would spark such....oh you can fill in the blank. As a vegan, I believe, me, myself that hurting any animal is unjust. Not to mention our water or vegetation. I supported PETA bc I believed they supported my ideology. Yes they do positive things but putting healthy animals to sleep is like eating cow flesh once a month. For me this not okay......I switch my support to mercy for animals, and a marine watch org.....my entire life long dream was to own acres of land to take in stray cats and dogs.....I think it would be so perfect to have a co-op and farm and produce vegan pet foods.....this is my dream! If I offend anyone I am sorry. MFA is sending out emails to help fight the farm bill.....I have sent several to my congress folks. challenge all of you in US to research new farm legislation and make voices heard....signed vegan with attitude
#25 Old 07-18-2013, 01:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan1965 View Post

putting healthy animals to sleep

Hold on, if you're talking about the kill rate at their facility, I have not seen evidence that PETA puts healthy animals down.  PETA doesn't run an open shelter where animals are relinquished to be put up for adoption.  They're not comparable to that, although I understand they take a very few that can be immediately fostered or adopted (the rest would be referred to an open shelter like the SPCA).  PETA's facilities are meant specifically to meet the medical/euthanasia needs of the animals brought in.  By Virginia law they have to keep records on surrendered animals and their owners for at least 2 years, and within that time if someone has a complaint they can ask for an investigation.  There have been no complaints.  The adoptable animals that are referred out to the SPCA are not counted as part of their statistics, because they didn't go through an intake at PETA.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#26 Old 07-18-2013, 04:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I have not seen one post in which you told someone that going vegan is not enough. You advocate for going vegan--why would you do that and then say, "Oh, by the way, even if you do go vegan, you're not doing enough!!"??

#27 Old 07-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Nvm, no need for me to be rude.
#28 Old 07-20-2013, 09:08 AM
Beginner

Quote:

Hey river

Unfortunately this is completely untrue - I am heavily involved in animal rescue in the UK and there are thousands of healthy animals pts every day.  Local councils will take strays and place them with a rescue but those dogs are only given 7 days to find a home and then they are pts unless the rescue takes them on and funds them themselves, many cannot afford to do this.

Dogs trust is the only rescue in the UK that does not put healthy dogs down even if they have behaviour problems however they will refuse to take a dog when their centres are full. http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/mediacentre/newsreleases/pr11straydogssurvey.aspx

Many small rescues will not put dogs down but again they can only take so many the rest are pts by the local authorites.

RSPCA rescues are actually all run separately, they only operate under the name and receive no funding from the actual RSPCA, each will have it's own rules on pts healthy animals.

I understand this is not about PETA but I felt I should put the record straight regarding the state of unwanted dogs in the UK, it's far far from rosy and getting worse.

#29 Old 07-20-2013, 09:59 AM

Well it isn't untrue. Not in County Durham and as I have only volunteered in shelters in the area I live that's the only experience I have. ****no**** healthy stray animals are put to sleep in my county. None at all.

The three kennels I have volunteered with in this county never put healthy dogs down and they have a home for them until they are rehomed, however, long it takes. Two of the three work alongside the county council and dog wardens and the police both drop the dogs off at these kennels where they receive vet treatmeant, are neutered and then rehomed. The kennels I currently work at even have 5-6 kennels outside the main area for the police to drop off strays and/or dogs that have been at homes where there have been sudden deaths, murders or owners have been rushed to hospital. Only the Sgts have the keys for the 'out of hours' cages.

I think you're very weird for calling me a liar. Why would I make something like that up?
#30 Old 07-20-2013, 07:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Dogs trust is the only rescue in the UK that does not put healthy dogs down even if they have behaviour problems however they will refuse to take a dog when their centres are full. http://www.dogstrust.org.uk/mediacentre/newsreleases/pr11straydogssurvey.aspx

Battersea dogs home doesn't either. I think things differ from place to place dependent on resources.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page