Why aren't you vegan? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 10-29-2012, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
veganshaveheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
I've always been curious and hurricane sandy has me bored to tears so I thought why not???
veganshaveheart is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 10-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Joan Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lovettsville, VA and Portland, OR
Posts: 1,983

Oh, for the love of Christ...

Joan Kennedy is offline  
#3 Old 10-29-2012, 08:51 PM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591

This thread is not allowed in this section. This is a Vegetarian SUPPORT section. I will be moving this to the Compost Heap, if anyone wants to bite.

danakscully64 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 10-29-2012, 09:17 PM
Ankle Biter
 
Poppy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Central Virginia, USA
Posts: 9,333
Hurricane Sandy has you bored to tears? huh.gif

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
Poppy is offline  
#5 Old 10-30-2012, 12:08 AM
Veggie Regular
 
otomik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: columbus, ohio
Posts: 4,248

smoked gouda

orange blossom honey

egg beaters florentine instant omelet

isinglass thats a part of so many good beers (which isn't even vegetarian but goes under the radar of the uninitiated).

 

i adopted a cat that is an obligate omnivore.


* This post may contain pork, beef and fingers of undocumented workers. This post was manufactured in a facility that processes peanuts.
otomik is offline  
#6 Old 10-30-2012, 12:23 AM
...
 
Blobbenstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 3,936
I just want the option to maybe have a cake once in a while, or wotnot.....I'm vegan most of the time, but I couldn't see myself abstaining from something with a bit of egg, or whey in, if I was out and about and hungry......so I'm just a minimalist veggie who is vegan for weeks, months etc....

I wouldn't be in the position of eating out really, with my recluse lifestyle, so I'm not even sure how I would react to say a buffet......I suppose these days, I would be happy with a few salad things......apart from anything else, being mostly vegan is like a hobby to me...grin.gif plus I find putting substances that were part of an animal, in my mouth kind of disgusting. Maybe I could use the term 'vegan' eventually.......though I'm not bothered about that. 'Strict vegetarian' is ok with me, although you have to explain it to people, but I don't talk to that many people anyway, and I think they usually are confused by the term. Until I came to VB I though strict veggies avoided rennet....and I'd been veggie for a long while.


Plus there is the shoe situation, ie because I have large feet(UK 15), partly larger(up from 12) because I am over weight and the weight flattens out my feet when I walk, I am a bit limited in the shoes that I can buy....the veg shoe shop online mostly only goes up to 12s....but I think someone in that situation could still call themselves a vegan, as it wouldn't be practical to avoid.

Blobbenstein is offline  
#7 Old 10-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Irizary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by otomik View Post

smoked gouda

 

Do you know what happens to dairy cows and their calves on farms?

koolkatkiwi and sam alshebany like this.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

 

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Irizary is offline  
#8 Old 10-30-2012, 06:11 AM
Veggie Regular
 
veganshaveheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
I wasn't trying to be me not supportive... It's a question and I wasn't rude at all. Isn't the vegan section supposed to be support for vegans yet people post vegetarian drinks on there once in a while...? I don't see the difference.
veganshaveheart is offline  
#9 Old 10-30-2012, 06:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
veganshaveheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Hurricane Sandy has you bored to tears? huh.gif
I'm sick and can't go outside because its flooded lol and I already cleaned!
veganshaveheart is offline  
#10 Old 10-30-2012, 07:19 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,394
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganshaveheart View Post

I wasn't trying to be me not supportive... It's a question and I wasn't rude at all. Isn't the vegan section supposed to be support for vegans yet people post vegetarian drinks on there once in a while...? I don't see the difference.
This topic would likely end up in the heap anyway because there is likely going to be an argument with people posting sad calf and chicken pictures, etc. Not appropriate for the vegetarian forum, right? :-)

Maybe if you talked about your journey from vegetarianism to veganism first, it would seem less like people would feel judged for posting.
LedBoots is offline  
#11 Old 10-30-2012, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Joan Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lovettsville, VA and Portland, OR
Posts: 1,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganshaveheart View Post

I wasn't trying to be me not supportive... It's a question and I wasn't rude at all. Isn't the vegan section supposed to be support for vegans yet people post vegetarian drinks on there once in a while...? I don't see the difference.


You might not have intended rudeness, but it does come across that way. If you really wanted to engage on this topic, you could have put more thought into your responses in the hilariously titled "More Accepting" thread over in Vegan Support. I took a lot of time and trouble there with a post that laid out why I think many vegetarians remain vegetarian, and your only response was "You're not gonna change my opinion." As if anyone was trying to lure you back to ice cream and Cheetos! That was a perfectly good thread for exploring the things you are wondering about, but instead you let it drop and came over to Vegetarian Support asking the same thing. After broadcasting your poor opinion of vegetarians on the other thread, how did you think that was going to work out? I'm not convinced you understand the meaning of the word "rude." It's like calling someone fat and then when they cry foul, saying, "But I didn't say I don't like fat people! I'm just trying to understand why you guys eat so much and exercise so little!" 

Joan Kennedy is offline  
#12 Old 10-30-2012, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganshaveheart View Post

I wasn't trying to be me not supportive... It's a question and I wasn't rude at all. Isn't the vegan section supposed to be support for vegans yet people post vegetarian drinks on there once in a while...? I don't see the difference.

 

 Threads like this aren't allowed in that section. They turn into a "Well, you're not doing enough!" thread. It gets mean, whether or not you intend the thread to go that way. Not every vegetarian wants to be a vegan, not every vegetarian CAN go vegan. You can talk about this, but it's best to leave it in this section. If you see someone posting a vegetarian drink, use the report button. Simple.

danakscully64 is offline  
#13 Old 10-30-2012, 12:03 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,587

I'm vegan and think about this once in a while.  Figured the reasons vegetarians aren't vegan are similar to the reasons omni's aren't vegetarian or vegan:  they care more about themselves than they care about animals, and misinformation about where food comes from and how it is produced. 

 

not going vegan bc you like cheese and eggs sounds the same as not going vegetarian bc you like bacon and turkey.

luvourmother is offline  
#14 Old 10-30-2012, 12:28 PM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

I'm vegan and think about this once in a while.  Figured the reasons vegetarians aren't vegan are similar to the reasons omni's aren't vegetarian or vegan:  they care more about themselves than they care about animals, and misinformation about where food comes from and how it is produced. 

 

not going vegan bc you like cheese and eggs sounds the same as not going vegetarian bc you like bacon and turkey.

 

Not necessarily. Not everyone is able to cook their own food, not everyone has easy access to vegan-friendly foods, not everyone has the ability to digest all foods, making it hard or impossible to be a vegan. My niece is allergic to soy, wheat, nuts, some fruits, and legumes (in addition to eggs and dairy). Do you expect her at 2 to be able to thrive on a vegan diet? She's not thriving now being able to eat what she can, limiting her more could cause hospitalization. For some people, severe diet limitations trigger ED's.

 

Where does it end? Where do you draw the line? Vegans can still consume palm oil and not care more about themselves than animals?

danakscully64 is offline  
#15 Old 10-30-2012, 12:42 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 2,587
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

 

Not necessarily. Not everyone is able to cook their own food, not everyone has easy access to vegan-friendly foods, not everyone has the ability to digest all foods, making it hard or impossible to be a vegan. My niece is allergic to soy, wheat, nuts, some fruits, and legumes (in addition to eggs and dairy). Do you expect her at 2 to be able to thrive on a vegan diet? She's not thriving now being able to eat what she can, limiting her more could cause hospitalization. For some people, severe diet limitations trigger ED's.

 

Where does it end? Where do you draw the line? Vegans can still consume palm oil and not care more about themselves than animals?

 

sure there are exceptions, however the case of your niece is extremely rare and definitely not the reason most vegetarians are not vegan and most meat eaters are not vegetarian, it's bc they like animal foods more than they care about animals and environmental impact. 

 

yes, palm oil is still technically vegan, however when vegans are informed about the negative impact on orangutans they usually choose to avoid palm oil as well. 

 

the line is drawn by making the best choices for everyone, not just ourselves.  

luvourmother is offline  
#16 Old 10-30-2012, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Joan Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lovettsville, VA and Portland, OR
Posts: 1,983

Anyone who suffers from "all or nothing" thinking needs to be aware of it as a barrier to sustaining human relationships. If this applies to anyone reading this, and I'm not saying it does, next time you sit to meditate, consider using "The perfect is the enemy of the good" as a session theme.

lindseytinsey likes this.
Joan Kennedy is offline  
#17 Old 10-30-2012, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular
 
veganshaveheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

 Threads like this aren't allowed in that section. They turn into a "Well, you're not doing enough!" thread. It gets mean, whether or not you intend the thread to go that way. Not every vegetarian wants to be a vegan, not every vegetarian CAN go vegan. You can talk about this, but it's best to leave it in this section. If you see someone posting a vegetarian drink, use the report button. Simple.

Grasshopper?
veganshaveheart is offline  
#18 Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvourmother View Post

 

sure there are exceptions, however the case of your niece is extremely rare and definitely not the reason most vegetarians are not vegan and most meat eaters are not vegetarian, it's bc they like animal foods more than they care about animals and environmental impact. 

 

yes, palm oil is still technically vegan, however when vegans are informed about the negative impact on orangutans they usually choose to avoid palm oil as well. 

 

the line is drawn by making the best choices for everyone, not just ourselves.  

 

Rare case or not, not everyone can be a vegan. For many, it's more about convenience than anything. I wish vegan food was easier to get at restaurants and when on the road. I think for many people who CHOOSE to follow the lifestyle (you can't force it on anyone), it would make it easier and more doable.

 

They usually choose to avoid it? I disagree. Many vegans I've met still use Earth Balance.

 

In my experience, having the "you're not doing enough to help animals" attitude discourages people from cutting back on their animal product consumption overall. For many, they see it as "Well why should I even try if it's never good enough." Pitting vegetarians against vegan is counterproductive.

danakscully64 is offline  
#19 Old 10-30-2012, 01:20 PM
Veggie Regular
 
veganshaveheart's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy View Post


You might not have intended rudeness, but it does come across that way. If you really wanted to engage on this topic, you could have put more thought into your responses in the hilariously titled "More Accepting" thread over in Vegan Support. I took a lot of time and trouble there with a post that laid out why I think many vegetarians remain vegetarian, and your only response was "You're not gonna change my opinion." As if anyone was trying to lure you back to ice cream and Cheetos! That was a perfectly good thread for exploring the things you are wondering about, but instead you let it drop and came over to Vegetarian Support asking the same thing. After broadcasting your poor opinion of vegetarians on the other thread, how did you think that was going to work out? I'm not convinced you understand the meaning of the word "rude." It's like calling someone fat and then when they cry foul, saying, "But I didn't say I don't like fat people! I'm just trying to understand why you guys eat so much and exercise so little!" 

Lolllll calm down you're only like this because I'm pointing out your cruel lifestyle
SiberianTigress likes this.
veganshaveheart is offline  
#20 Old 10-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganshaveheart View Post


Grasshopper?

Huh?

danakscully64 is offline  
#21 Old 10-30-2012, 01:22 PM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganshaveheart View Post


Lolllll calm down you're only like this because I'm pointing out your cruel lifestyle

 

Cruel? You really think you're going to convert vegetarians over to veganism with that attitude?

danakscully64 is offline  
#22 Old 10-30-2012, 01:24 PM
Beginner
 
Dalia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 163
I was born vegetarian, never ate meat as a child and never questioned why I didn't. At some point I was omni for a while, because of health problems, yep my good doctor talked me into eating meat for health which didn't help. Surprise! When I was vegetarian, I thought I could never give up dairy. Eggs, yes in a heartbeat, but dairy was my lifeline. It took 2 attempts to finally convert to veganism, without the obvious AR reason, all it took for me was finding the right brand of soy milk and Daiya cheese. Funny enough, I don't crave cheese or milk anymore, and I used to be addicted to it.

However, I think that striving to be perfect in my vegan diet, made me fail. And since I'm not perfect by any means, I don't expect anybody else's decisions to be perfect either. I understand both perspectives on this issue. It's a small step to convert to a vegan diet, if you are willing to make the change and if you're ready. But I also understand vegetarians, because that's how I ate most of my life. What I don't like is the better/worse person aspect that comes up when discussing this issue in general.
SiberianTigress likes this.
Dalia is offline  
#23 Old 10-30-2012, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalia View Post

I was born vegetarian, never ate meat as a child and never questioned why I didn't. At some point I was omni for a while, because of health problems, yep my good doctor talked me into eating meat for health which didn't help. Surprise! When I was vegetarian, I thought I could never give up dairy. Eggs, yes in a heartbeat, but dairy was my lifeline. It took 2 attempts to finally convert to veganism, without the obvious AR reason, all it took for me was finding the right brand of soy milk and Daiya cheese. Funny enough, I don't crave cheese or milk anymore, and I used to be addicted to it.
However, I think that striving to be perfect in my vegan diet, made me fail. And since I'm not perfect by any means, I don't expect anybody else's decisions to be perfect either. I understand both perspectives on this issue. It's a small step to convert to a vegan diet, if you are willing to make the change and if you're ready. But I also understand vegetarians, because that's how I ate most of my life. What I don't like is the better/worse person aspect that comes up when discussing this issue in general.

 

yes.gifthumbsup.gif

danakscully64 is offline  
#24 Old 10-30-2012, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganshaveheart View Post

I wasn't trying to be me not supportive...

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by veganshaveheart View Post


Lolllll calm down you're only like this because I'm pointing out your cruel lifestyle

 

Which is it? Lets at least be honest here about your true motives.

danakscully64 is offline  
#25 Old 10-30-2012, 01:41 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Werewolf Girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 16,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by veganshaveheart View Post

Lolllll calm down you're only like this because I'm pointing out your cruel lifestyle

And that's why this thread wasn't appropriate for the Vegetarian Support forum rolleyes.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Werewolf Girl is offline  
#26 Old 10-30-2012, 01:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post


And that's why this thread wasn't appropriate for the Vegetarian Support forum rolleyes.gif

 

That's not supportive?! Damn you and your wild accusations! tongue3.gif

danakscully64 is offline  
#27 Old 10-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Newbie
 
BR50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 69

I removed the word "Vegan" from my lifestyle and now prefer "Strict Vegetarian" simply over the negative, judging and angry attitudes of many Vegans...nuff said

InTransition likes this.
BR50 is offline  
#28 Old 10-30-2012, 02:21 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)
 
LedBoots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 8,394
This kind of bickering is about the most counter productive thing people can do on a site that gets a lot of traffic from the veg-curious, in this vegan's opinion.

For the record, I don't judge lacto ovo bee-o vegetarians, I'm happy they're not eating pepperoni pizza and chicken wings like everyone else in the US.

peace.
LedBoots is offline  
#29 Old 10-30-2012, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Joan Kennedy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Lovettsville, VA and Portland, OR
Posts: 1,983

A grasshopper is a cocktail made from liqueur and cream. Its two liquory ingredients, creme de menthe and white creme de cacao, don't actually contain cream. A veganized grasshopper would contain soy "creamer" instead of dairy cream. A "flying grasshopper" uses vodka instead of cream. There is a frozen variant that uses ice cream. Or, I guess, tofutti.

 

Sad to hear about Earth Balance. The company site says its palm oil is now imported only from Brazil (no orangs there) and peninsular Malaysia, which has only protected, sheltered orangutans. Don't know about any issues with their human laborers, or whether the company claim is misleading or accurate. Apparently they've gotten a lot of grief on this and are trying to look proactive. Is there a non-controversial spread that people use instead of Earth Balance?

Joan Kennedy is offline  
#30 Old 10-30-2012, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
danakscully64's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 34,591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joan Kennedy View Post

A grasshopper is a cocktail made from liqueur and cream. Its two liquory ingredients, creme de menthe and white creme de cacao, don't actually contain cream. A veganized grasshopper would contain soy "creamer" instead of dairy cream. A "flying grasshopper" uses vodka instead of cream. There is a frozen variant that uses ice cream. Or, I guess, tofutti.

 

Sad to hear about Earth Balance. The company site says its palm oil is now imported only from Brazil (no orangs there) and peninsular Malaysia, which has only protected, sheltered orangutans. Don't know about any issues with their human laborers, or whether the company claim is misleading or accurate. Apparently they've gotten a lot of grief on this and are trying to look proactive. Is there a non-controversial spread that people use instead of Earth Balance?

 

I did a search and couldn't find the grasshopper post either.

 

Not that I know of. Some people use coconut oil while baking instead, but it doesn't taste the same as margarine.

danakscully64 is offline  
Reply

Tags
Vegetarian-Lifestyle , Vegan-Lifestyle

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off