Words Hurt -or- Actions Speak Louder Than Words - VeggieBoards
View Poll Results: Which is more true? (You must pick only one).
Actions Speak Louder Than Words 7 87.50%
Words Hurt 1 12.50%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-07-2012, 11:45 AM
Veggie Regular

We've all heard these proverbs. They're both true.

But if you could only choose one, which one would you choose?

Why?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-07-2012, 12:05 PM
Impeach the gangster

I voted actions, because our animal friends, who haven't language, nevertheless speak eloquently, by what they do.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#3 Old 10-07-2012, 01:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Actions speak louder than words.
It doesn't matter how sweet someone is with words if they will just stab you in the back with their actions. To gain love and respect you have to show that you mean what you say through your actions.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-07-2012, 04:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I think words are not that important.  Someone can tell you they love you, but you don't feel it by their actions. Someone can say they love animals, but eat them.

I think your behavior and actions tell your real feelings.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#5 Old 10-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Veggie Regular

Ok how about these combos of "words hurt" vs "action speaks louder than words":

1. Hate speech vs inaction to stop hate speech
2. Verbal bullying vs pretending not to hear when others are being bullied
3. Condescending speech vs pushing down
4. A promise to do something vs doing the something

#6 Old 10-07-2012, 05:13 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElaineV View Post

Same deal. Activity trumps vocabulary.

This is not to suggest hate speech is okay. Speaking, rightly or wrongly, after all, IS an action.In the case of overhearing hate speech or verbal bullying, what can one do, other than to speak out against it, either to the perpetrator, their peers or an authority- a teacher or parent, perhaps.

Are you having a special problem?

I don't think there's a single adage or proverb that's going to answer every case.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
#7 Old 10-07-2012, 08:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Sticks and stones will break my bone but words will never hurt me.  Not completely true, but I can deal with "hate speech" much more easily than being physically attacked.  In fact, the only reason why I even care about hate speech is because it seems to set the stage for hateful action.  The words themselves I don't really care about, and I think people in general need to toughen up to verbal slights.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#8 Old 10-07-2012, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Speaking is a form of action, but I voted "actions speak louder than" because I tend to find myself a bigger advocate of freedom of speech than a lot of my fellow liberals/leftists and less up in arms about things people say than things people do for the most part. Words can piss me off a lot, but my reaction is rarely "I've got to do something about this" or "I've got to stop this person from being heard". 

Quote:

On 1. I don't think action should be taken to stop hate speech unless it's indirect action such as educating, social disapproval, debate and so on. Overall, I'm not sure how we're supposed to respond to these contrasts though. 

#9 Old 10-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Tom
Veggie Regular

Elaine, the examples you give in post #5 are definitely worth considering, and I don't know if all of them would have occurred to me. But I still think actions have far more weight- that is, have more impact on others, for either good or for ill.

I might make an exception for how someone in a position of power speaks to someone else... specifically, how a parent speaks to their very young child. Extremely abusive speech in such a particular situation might be as injurious as many physical acts.

Edited to add: good point about animal eloquence, Capstan!

Peasant (1963-1972) and Fluffy (1970s?-1982- I think of you as 'Ambrose' now)- Your spirits outshone some humans I have known. Be happy forever.
#10 Old 10-08-2012, 12:29 PM
Zelda Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I think words are not that important.  Someone can tell you they love you, but you don't feel it by their actions. Someone can say they love animals, but eat them.

I think your behavior and actions tell your real feelings.

I voted for actions - because I agree with what Irizary said exactly.

~ Jennifer

* Find VeggieBoards:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
 +

* Find me:
+
+
#11 Old 10-08-2012, 03:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Capstan - no special problem, just making conversation smiley.gif
#12 Old 10-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Impeach the gangster

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsail View Post

Speaking is a form of action....

Exactly right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom View Post

I might make an exception for how someone in a position of power speaks to someone else... specifically, how a parent speaks to their very young child. Extremely abusive speech in such a particular situation might be as injurious as many physical acts.

Excellent point. We should not underestimate the power of speech to influence.

Quote:

Capstan - no special problem, just making conversation smiley.gif

Elaine, how about, The pen is mightier than the sword v. Speak softly and carry a big stick?smiley.gif

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page