Monsanto Weedkiller and GM Maize Linked to Tumor Risk - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 09-19-2012, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

LINK
Quote:
A new study suggests that the world's best-selling weedkiller and the GM maize resistant to it are linked to increased risk of tumor growth, multiple organ damage and premature death.

The study, undertaken by a team of researchers at the University of Caen, France, and published in Food and Chemical Toxicology, is the first to investigate the long-term effect of Monsanto's Roundup weedkiller, or the NK603 GM maize resistant to it—for which Monsanto owns the patent.

Ten groups of ten rats were fed varying combination of maize, GM maize and the weedkiller: three were fed diets containing different proportions of Roundup resistant maize at 11, 22 and 33 percent; three were fed water laced with varying quantities of Roundup; three were fed both; and others were fed normal maize as a control. The study ran over a two year period.

The results suggest that rats fed on the GM maize or given water containing Roundup died significantly earlier than rats fed on a standard diet. In terms of hard numbers, 50 percent of male and 70 percent of female rats died prematurely in the exposed groups, compared to just 30 and 20 percent, respectively, in the control group.

Perhaps more importantly, the findings show that NK603 and Roundup cause similar damage to rat health whether they're consumed together or on their own.

GM crops such as NK603 have previously been approved for human consumption based on 90-day animal trials. However, this study hows that mammary tumors and severe liver and kidney damage occurred in the rats from four months on—which wouldn't have been detected in earlier research.

I hear so many conflicting things about Monsanto I don't know who to believe anymore, but this is more than a little alarming...

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 09-20-2012, 12:17 AM
Riot Nrrrd

That's a really small study. 10 animals? And reading the summary alone there is some really significant missing information. Particularly important is this line: "three were fed diets containing different proportions of Roundup resistant maize". The proportions of RUR maize are mentioned, but not the proportion of the diet that this maize comprised. It would be much more disconcerting if 10% of food consumed was RUR than if it was something like 70%. Given that this kind of study often uses "megadosing" to ensure statistically significant results, even if the data from a small study of mice was easily applicable to humans (which it ain't), it's likely that the study would not be applicable to humans eating something like a normal diet

Dave in MPLS / DISCLAIMER: I am not an actual rooster.
"It is better to light a candle than to curse the darkness"
National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 18002738255
#3 Old 09-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Roundup smells like it will give you cancer. My next door neighbor sprays it, and when my windows are open, my house reeks of pesticide for hours.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah, I just feel more confused than ever about this issue. dizzy2.gif

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 09-20-2012, 11:51 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS View Post

That's a really small study. 10 animals?

No, Dave.
Quote:
Ten groups of ten rats were fed varying combination of maize, GM maize and the weedkiller:

10 x 10 = 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in MPLS 
even if the data from a small study of mice was easily applicable to humans (which it ain't), it's likely that the study would not be applicable to humans eating something like a normal diet

No, Dave. The study was done on rats. RATS!
Quote:
Ten groups of ten rats were fed varying combination of maize, GM maize and the weedkiller:
#6 Old 09-20-2012, 11:55 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Yeah, I just feel more confused than ever about this issue. dizzy2.gif

Dave's mission is to confuse your further. 100 = 10; rats = mice. grin.gif
#7 Old 09-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Not so fast,
Study on cancer and GM maize – experts respond | Science Media Centre
Why I think the Seralini GM feeding trial is bogus | Weed Control Freaks
Monsanto’s GM Corn And Cancer In Rats: Real Scientists Deeply Unimpressed. Politics Not Science Perhaps? | Forbes
GM Maize Causes Tumors In Rats? Here Is How Experts Responded | Science 2.0
What to make of the scary GMO study? | Food Politics
Study linking GM crops and cancer questioned | New Scientist
The GM Corn Rat Study | Neurologica Blog
I smell a rat. | Cami Ryan

poor study by a dedicated advocate

No gods, No masters, No woo, No whey! Ⓥ
Read my blog and be skeptical not susceptible
http://skepticalvegan.wordpress.com/
#8 Old 09-24-2012, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

The criticism just keeps rolling in...
GM Corn-Tumor Link Based in Poor Science | Discovery News
Study finds tumours in rats fed on Monsanto’s GM corn | AlertNet
Rats and GM | Understanding Uncertainty
Scientist won’t allow EU agency to check GM findings | phys.org
Single-Study Syndrome and the G.M.O. Food Fight | Dot Earth Blog – NYTimes.com
Proof Perfect That The Seralini Paper On GM Corn And Cancer In Rats Is Rubbish | Forbes
Vegans Gloat Over Rat Tumors | Pythagorean Crank
Under Controlled: Why the New GMO Panic Is More Sensational Than Sense | The Crux | Discover Magazine
Illumination: Rats, Tumors and Critical Assessment of Science | Illumination
Authors of study linking GM corn with rat tumors manipulated media to prevent criticism of their work | Boing Boing
Of GM corn and rat tumors: Why peer reviewed doesn’t mean “accurate” | Boing Boing
Monsanto Responds to French Rat Study | Beyond the Rows
French GM-fed rat study triggers furore | BBC News
From Darwinius to GMOs: Journalists Should Not Let Themselves Be Played | The Loom | Discover Magazine
Stenographers, anyone? GMO rat study authors engineered embargo to prevent scrutiny | Embargo Watch
Bad science about GMOs: It reminds me of the antivaccine movement | Respectful Insolence
Anti-GMO study is appropriately dismissed as biased, poorly-performed | Denialism Blog
Anti-GMO researchers used science publication to manipulate the press | Ars Technica

#9 Old 09-25-2012, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

This is a new study?

This kind of information has been known for a long time.

Pretty sure Monsanto (or should I say its shadowy owners) will spend a lot of money doing damage control on this as well.

There's nothing to be confused about, that corporation is the epitome of evil in my book - I don't use that label lightly, but for Monsanto the gloves are off. If that corporation went bankrupt and the facilities burned to the ground never to return again this planet and every one of its creatures would be much better off.

Fear is simply the consequence of the acceptance of ignorance; reject ignorance and accept knowledge-- with knowledge all fears are relinquished and the light of truth within shines through to guide your path.
#10 Old 10-12-2012, 02:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkepticalVegan View Post

Not so fast.

Agreed.

I'm looking at the results of that study, and it appears to be totally bizarre.

25% of the control group died spontaneously according to the paper.  The control group was the group NOT receiving any GMO or pesticides.  And they were dying.

Then the results are really weird.  Ideally, you'd expect that if a substance was dangerous, increasing the exposure to a substance would increase the amount of deaths.  In this study, they did 11%, 22%, and 33% of GMO food in the diet.  The problem is that the results don't show that - sometimes the rats on the higher percentages were more likely to survive than the rats on lower percentages.

What the heck?

This doesn't strike me as good science.  I think they tortured a bunch of rats for no good reason.

#11 Old 10-12-2012, 02:47 PM

Apparently you have to be careful looking at the various studies, since some are financed by Monsanto to create confusing results. I'm boycotting all GMO products. I have called or emailed every manufacturer that does not specify GMO vs non GMO on their packaging. And I have written emails to manufacturers of products that I used to purchase to inform them why I'm not buying their products anymore.

The more I read on Monsanto, their ties and influence, the less I'm inclined to purchase anything that has to do with their company. I refuse to purchase any food manufactured by the producer of Agent Orange, PCBs, rBGH and GMOs. No roundup here either.
#12 Old 10-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalia View Post

Apparently you have to be careful looking at the various studies, since some are financed by Monsanto to create confusing results.

Are you accusing this study of being funded by Monsanto?

#13 Old 10-12-2012, 05:40 PM

What I am saying is that I do not trust Monsanto. There are some scientists and farmers saying that Monsanto produces studies with positive outcomes that are not scientifically sound, and that people are systematically kept quiet. Studies that are not in their favor are discredited immediately. That to me is problematic. Wouldn't you want to make sure that your products are 100% safe for consumption?

I don't care what people believe or what they don't believe. I'm not a science project.
#14 Old 10-12-2012, 05:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
This doesn't strike me as good science.  I think they tortured a bunch of rats for no good reason.

& the BUAV and I agree...

Quote:

BUAV criticises cruel GM food rat experiment

09/10/2012

The BUAV has spoken out about their concerns for the animals used in a French study on maize and weed-killer which is attracting widespread scientific criticism. Researchers from Caen University fed rats genetically modified (GM) maize that had been sprayed with a popular weed killer called Roundup for two years. The experiment essentially duplicated earlier research that had already found no risk to humans, but French researchers repeated the study until the rats had developed large cancerous tumours that led to multiple organ damage and premature death in 50% of males and 70% of females. 

Photographs of rats with shockingly large tumours were seen in the paper published in the journal Food and Chemical Toxicology. According to the UK Co-ordinating Committee on Cancer Research (UKCCCR) the "tumour burden should not usually exceed 5% of the host animal's normal body weight in the case of animals being used for routine tumour passage, or 10% in animals involved in therapeutic experiments. (This latter size, i.e. 10%, would typically represent a mean subcutaneous flank tumour diameter of 17mm in a 25g mouse or 35mm in a 250g rat)." The US Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUC) also states that “tumour size should not exceed 4.0cm in adult rats.” The tumours shown in this experiment reached at least 7.0cm in length and in one photo two of these appallingly large tumours can be seen on either side of one rat’s body. 

A broad range of scientists have strongly criticised the research on statistical grounds and because the strain of rats used are prone to develop cancer as they age anyway. The BUAV believes the experiment should also be strongly criticised on animal welfare grounds.

The BUAV's senior science advisor Dr Katy Taylor states; "The BUAV is appalled at this poorly-conducted and cruel experiment. The researchers allowed the rats to suffer huge tumours, which far exceeded that allowed under established animal welfare guidelines. It is unacceptable that animals are being abused in the debate about the safety of GM food. This experiment should never have been allowed as it was a repeat of an earlier study. The storm of criticism about the study just shows how unreliable animal safety tests are and how weak the controls are to prevent duplication and suffering in animal experiments. "

& Even more commentary
Genetically modified corn and cancer – what does the evidence really say? | The Conversation
Modifying the message: how tricks masked home truths about anti-GM science | The Conversation
“A rancid, corrupt way to report about science” | Knight Science Journalism Program at MIT
What did you think those film crews were doing in the lab? | NeuroDojo
Rat study sparks GM furore | Nature News & Comment
Was it the GMOs or the BPA that did in those rats? | Emily Willingham
Did the rats in the GM corn study drink their water from BPA bottles? | Emily Willingham
Scientists Smell A Rat In Fraudulent Genetic Engineering Study | Forbes
Anti-GMO activists react to GMO experts with claims of bias. | Contrary to popular belief
Turning point from the French maize study: GM Opponents look like climate deniers | Genetic Literacy Project
Anti-biotech study and corn ban is a mockery | Ag Professional
Don’t Step in That Sh*t: How the GMO-Study Authors Played the Media | Wired Science
European Food Safety Authority slams GM maize study | Nature News Blog
GM corn and cancer: the Séralini affair | COSMOS magazine
Hyped GM maize study faces growing scrutiny | Nature News & Comment
Vilmorin cancels genetically modified seed testing because of terrible French GMO study on rat tumors. | Slate
That GMO-cancer study? It gets worse. | The Loom | Discover Magazine

It doesnt matter however, the anti-GMo crowd has already latched onto this study and are not likely to let go just like past debunked research that they still throw around.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page