H&M under fire for using overly-tan swimsuit model. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-11-2012, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-styl...#ixzz1uccQWoas

I will say that I think they would have better off using a black or latino model if that's the skin tone they were aiming for, rather than having people that are far beyond their natural skin color(as she's clearly white looking at her other photos)

That being said, I can't help but be irritated at how people nowadays are such thin skins. Why does every whiny, illegitamite complaint have to merit some lengthy apology?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-11-2012, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

Attachment 18431
Wow, if that skin tone isn't shopped she's going to look like this lady in a few years
LL

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#3 Old 05-11-2012, 08:43 PM
Veggie Regular

It looks ridiculous to use such heavy fake tan if that isnt your natural colour, but I dont see any harm in it. A lot of people get fake tans or spray tans rather than sunbathing anyway, I think people are better now than they used to be.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

Attachment 18431
Wow, if that skin tone isn't shopped she's going to look like this lady in a few years

it looks like a spray tan to me
#5 Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

So we're all concerned about the deep tan (or the photoshopping done to the photos), but the model's weight raises no issues at all, right?
#6 Old 05-11-2012, 09:09 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

So we're all concerned about the deep tan (or the photoshopping done to the photos), but the model's weight raises no issues at all, right?

She *does* look a little chunky...
#7 Old 05-11-2012, 09:10 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorjor View Post

That being said, I can't help but be irritated at how people nowadays are such thin skins. Why does every whiny, illegitamite complaint have to merit some lengthy apology?

there are obviously tons and tons and tons of coloured models out there getting tons and tons of work, i totally agree that this is not a big deal at all, i can't believe that someone would be upset at such a distorted fake and impossible image of a woman that backhands tons of other women with her skin tone, not just her weight. i mean, those other models with natural skin in that colour just weren't pretty enough, so we got a white lady to pretend to be a latino woman, i have no idea why anyone could be bothered by that, i mean, such thin skins these days!

check your privilege at the door, bro.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#8 Old 05-11-2012, 09:17 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

there are obviously tons and tons and tons of coloured models out there getting tons and tons of work, i totally agree that this is not a big deal at all, i can't believe that someone would be upset at such a distorted fake and impossible image of a woman that backhands tons of other women with her skin tone, not just her weight. i mean, those other models with natural skin in that colour just weren't pretty enough, so we got a white lady to pretend to be a latino woman, i have no idea why anyone could be bothered by that, i mean, such thin skins these days.

The model is Brazilian, and my Brazilian friend is around that skin color without overly tanning. The company apologized, though, so I think they did darken the model's skin for the ad.
#9 Old 05-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

She looks fine to me(although I'm not sure what exactly you were implying with that comment)
#10 Old 05-11-2012, 09:27 PM
American Made, Rebel Born

sorry if you misread me. i understand that the colour that she "is", is totally natural and seen around the world, from brazil to barbados to south africa.

i'm immensely pissed that white washing/race bending is considered a "whiny, illegitamite complaint". this board is sooooo white that sometimes i just feel the need to remind everyone to check themselves. you can't be a good ally if you don't know what you're doing is offensive, and this, saying that this issue is 'whiny and illegitimate' is rude and uncaring and offensive, and yes, i have to take issue with all of it, because letting things go unchecked leads to disaster.

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#11 Old 05-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I dont think the complaints were about the skin colour per se though. They were about the doctored photograph suggesting promotion of sunbathing and tanning beds etc (and fake tans I guess), and therefore, skin cancer.
#12 Old 05-11-2012, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

And here is the model.
#13 Old 05-11-2012, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

sorry if you misread me. i understand that the colour that she "is", is totally natural and seen around the world, from brazil to barbados to south africa.

i'm immensely pissed that white washing/race bending is considered a "whiny, illegitamite complaint". this board is sooooo white that sometimes i just feel the need to remind everyone to check themselves. you can't be a good ally if you don't know what you're doing is offensive, and this, saying that this issue is 'whiny and illegitimate' is rude and uncaring and offensive, and yes, i have to take issue with all of it, because letting things go unchecked leads to disaster.

Are you speaking generally or about this particular topic?? And yes in a lot of cases this is the case. I can't count the amount of times lately a company has some benign ad that no one thinks twice about or takes offense to, then a couple people obsessed with dissecting and finding imaginary hidden messages(most of which aren't even intentional) in every little thing get offended and the companies feel pressured in to addressing them constantly. For instance some company did some ad that included Jeremey Lin, saying something about being "Lin-sane". People went nuts, even after Lin himself said he didn't care.

and On top of that I think theres been a bit of a misunderstanding. the complaints of the people who originally slammed the ad are different, I was just addressing their claim that this ad leads people to overuse tanning bads, and promote skin cancer. I think people need to take responsibility for their themselves and their own impressionability.

Now your take on the matter, that's a whole nother can of worms, I can understand that argument.

Quote:

I'm not white by the way
#14 Old 05-11-2012, 10:50 PM
Veggie Regular

i am mixed. filling out census forms can be confusing. i never know which box to tick for ethnicity. i usually just tick Other .
#15 Old 05-12-2012, 01:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Jeez, do they not have darker skinned people in Sweden or something?

I just assumed that was her natural colour. Shame they felt the need to darker her than use someone who was already dark.
#16 Old 05-12-2012, 02:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

And here is the model.

Wonder if she was whitened at all in that photo.
#17 Old 05-12-2012, 04:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorjor View Post

She looks fine to me(although I'm not sure what exactly you were implying with that comment)

She looks underweight to me, but I don't look at a lot of advertising so maybe she's what is considered normal nowadays in fashion.
#18 Old 05-12-2012, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

She looks underweight to me, but I don't look at a lot of advertising so maybe she's what is considered normal nowadays in fashion.

She looks healthy skinny though, some people are naturally that way. But they probably photoshopped out any bones.
#19 Old 05-12-2012, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

And here is the model.

Here's another. I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the subject...however, I do think she's pretty.

Attachment 18436
LL
LL
#20 Old 05-12-2012, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

The tan looks fake and it appears in the other photos she is fairer skin tone. I think the point is promoting the dark tan look is unsafe healthwise. The young woman is more beautiful with her lighter skin tone IMHO. It looks NATURAL.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#21 Old 05-12-2012, 08:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

maybe you shouldn't check your reading comprehension at the door. The article is about a cancer institute complaining that H&M is promoting something that causes cancer.
#22 Old 05-12-2012, 08:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

meh, I don't see it.
#23 Old 05-12-2012, 09:33 AM
Banned

I saw the ad on a bus stop and stared at it in puzzlement until the traffic moved on... it was obvious the model wasn't naturally that colour and I wondered why they had doctored it to look so weird instead of just using a naturally dark skinned woman.
#24 Old 05-12-2012, 09:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I saw the ad on a bus stop and stared at it in puzzlement until the traffic moved on... it was obvious the model wasn't naturally that colour and I wondered why they had doctored it to look so weird instead of just using a naturally dark skinned woman.

ah, but you wouldn't have stared at it in puzzlement then, would you? Advertising success.
#25 Old 05-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yally View Post

Wonder if she was whitened at all in that photo.

I am not sure. She isnt really the darkest woman, she appears to have blue or green eyes. She seems to be part latino part white, or perhaps she is Italian, it is hard to tell.
#26 Old 05-12-2012, 02:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

ah, but you wouldn't have stared at it in puzzlement then, would you? Advertising success.

I dont think they intentionally did it to puzzle people. I think they just got a bit enthusiastic with the tanning tool on their photo imaging program.
#27 Old 05-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

I seem to be a range of colours. In the winter I am a sort of pale olivey white, and then in the summer if I tan I can darken up quite a lot. The advantage of having olive skin I guess. I still have to be careful and use sunscreen though.
#28 Old 05-12-2012, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm finding that a lot lately, I'm remembering or noticing adverts but not which brand they're advertising.

I love it when that happens. Totally defeats the purpose of all that wasted advertizing money.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#29 Old 05-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

People overreact to the most silly things.

I've been in Spain on the beach and seen olive-skinned people tan themselves that dark and personally I don't find it attractive but then lots of people probably think I look like a snowwoman.
#30 Old 05-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well no, because I didn't know it was advertising H&M until I read this thread and remembered it

I'm finding that a lot lately, I'm remembering or noticing adverts but not which brand they're advertising.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I love it when that happens. Totally defeats the purpose of all that wasted advertizing money.

I do this all the time. I'm always telling friends about some funny/clever ad I've seen and rarely remember what the ad is for, lol.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page