H&M under fire for using overly-tan swimsuit model. - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 05-12-2012, 03:39 PM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

Well no, because I didn't know it was advertising H&M until I read this thread and remembered it

I'm finding that a lot lately, I'm remembering or noticing adverts but not which brand they're advertising.

Years ago, in a business class, I heard about a run of TV commercials that the company American Greetings ran. The ads were critically acclaimed and people loved them. American Greetings was thrilled by the response, but puzzled at the lack of uptick in sales. It turns out most people thought the commercials were for Hallmark, its main competitor. Hallmark's sales rose!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 05-13-2012, 08:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

I dont think they intentionally did it to puzzle people. I think they just got a bit enthusiastic with the tanning tool on their photo imaging program.

I think they meant to make her that dark (unless she was already that dark). Not to puzzle people, of course, but it's far more visually interesting to see someone with unnaturally dark skin than someone who naturally has a dark complexion. It's actually very well pitched given the fame of Snooki and the story of the "tanorexic" mother which has exploded all over the tabloids and talk media. Even this phony controversy from the cancer society of sweden will only garner the company more attention. Attention, btw, that would be better aimed at the company's notorious labor conditions.
#33 Old 05-13-2012, 08:39 AM
Beginner

The tan just makes her look really fake. But so do most models, so eh.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 05-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I guess there is something wrong with my perception. Her skin color does not look fake to me. Lots of people are this dark. I don't understand what people are seeing when they say she looks unnatural.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#35 Old 05-13-2012, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I guess there is something wrong with my perception. Her skin color does not look fake to me. Lots of people are this dark. I don't understand what people are seeing when they say she looks unnatural.

Because they've seen her in other photos before.

Tam! RUGH!
#36 Old 05-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorjor View Post

meh, I don't see it.

The image screams "heavily photoshopped" to me. I guess it doesn't to you.

I'd bet that the image itself has been altered to make the model look skinnier than she already is.
#37 Old 05-13-2012, 12:14 PM
Veggie Regular

That doesn't even look like a tan to me... it looks like she's been mud wrestling.
#38 Old 05-13-2012, 12:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh James xVx View Post

Because they've seen her in other photos before.

Yeah I am sure that's it. I had never seen her before I saw the photo in the first post.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#39 Old 05-13-2012, 12:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Looks like something from the bodybuilding shows that I sometimes watch.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#40 Old 05-13-2012, 07:52 PM
Banned

deleted
#41 Old 05-13-2012, 08:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I think it is a beautiful colour but it doesnt look right on her, most women with that colour skin have African, Indian or another non-European type of body shape and facial bone structure, and that woman clearly has a European body and face.
#42 Old 05-13-2012, 08:11 PM
Banned

deleted
#43 Old 05-13-2012, 08:20 PM
Veggie Regular

It looks photoshopped to me and I've certainly never seen that model before.

But it's interesting. Like if they turned her green. Different than just a model with dark skin, because it's more about the photoshopping than the color of the model.

It's a stupid advertisement anyway, as they all are, and I don't like the idea of slapping brown skin on a white woman any more than I would like to see someone whitened (as I think ladies have been in makeup ads... Beyonce, maybe?)

I'd rather they just made her green. That'd be cool. Or blue. Andorian, like.
#44 Old 05-13-2012, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyeeqen View Post

That'd be cool. Or blue. Andorian, like.

An Andorian model would be cool... complete with antennae.
#45 Old 05-14-2012, 12:39 AM
Banned

Quote:

I'd never seen her before I saw the ad at the bus stop and I immediately thought "what the hell have they done to that picture?". To me it looks really, really unnatural.
#46 Old 05-14-2012, 04:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Most pictures of people in magazines are photoshopped nowadays. If it wasn't photoshopped, it would be abnormal, even if there wasn't otherwise anything particularly unique about the style of the picture.

And it isn't just a thing with female models either. Men's Fitness does a lot of photoshopping, i.e. the "enhance these muscles" button, and then write an article on how to get that physique, even though the physique is fake.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#47 Old 05-14-2012, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

It would look ok if it wasn't so splotchy looking.
#48 Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling View Post

I'd never seen her before I saw the ad at the bus stop and I immediately thought "what the hell have they done to that picture?". To me it looks really, really unnatural.

About twenty years ago, when I was in Colorado at very high elevation, I saw white people who got this tan, on account of how much stronger the sun is in thinner air. Hardly anyone does it any more though, since it isn't PC.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#49 Old 05-14-2012, 09:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

About twenty years ago, when I was in Colorado at very high elevation, I saw white people who got this tan, on account of how much stronger the sun is in thinner air. Hardly anyone does it any more though, since it isn't PC.

It's totally cool that normal women to you look like they've been mud-wrestling. Nobody's judging...
#50 Old 05-14-2012, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I cannot help but tan. When I lived down South I used to tan through my shirt, thats how harsh the sun was down there. Damned ozone hole...

Even here the sun is hideous, I only have to be in it for 5 minutes before i feel my skin tingling.
#51 Old 05-14-2012, 09:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

It's totally cool that normal women to you look like they've been mud-wrestling. Nobody's judging...

That's ok. I know I'm a dingleberry.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#52 Old 05-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Veggie Regular

^- But other than the skin tone, that woman is totally normal looking.
#53 Old 05-17-2012, 11:19 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm terrified of tanning. My meds make me extremely photosensitive so I break out in a rash if I walk the dogs around the block without sunblock. Plus, I'm a pale freckly person with a family history of melanoma. Basically, it's a good thing that I'm not an outdoorsy person.
#54 Old 05-20-2012, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

My parents just came back from Jamaica and noted that all the white tourists/residents looked like latinos, lol.
#55 Old 05-25-2012, 12:57 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

She looks underweight to me, but I don't look at a lot of advertising so maybe she's what is considered normal nowadays in fashion.

Hmm, she looks just fine by me.

--
The Twilight Is My Robe
#56 Old 05-25-2012, 09:13 PM
Banned

I tend to agree with Kenicke on this one. Except that Isabeli Fontana has been reported to be an actual Latina, rather than a pretend Latina. Also, judging by photographs, she appears to be maybe a couple of shades darker than the whitest of the white, but nowhere near the 8 or so shades darker that she is made to appear in the ad.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page