Romney Apologizes for Bullying Gays - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2012, 02:55 PM
Joe
Veggie Regular

Romney Apologizes For Bullying Gay Classmates

Quote:
On the day after Barack Obama became the first sitting U.S. President to endorse gay marriage, Mitt Romney is defending himself against charges that he bullied gay classmates as a high school student.

The people involved didnt come out of the closet until years later, Romney told a Fox News radio show. I had no idea that this person might have been gay.

I participated in a lot of hijinks and pranks during high school and some may have gone too far. And for that I apologize, he added.

The apology is in reference to a Washington Post article by Jason Horowitz, which reports that an 18 year old Romney refused to tolerate his gay classmate Jon Lauber walking around the ritzy Cranbrook School with long, bleached-blonde hair.

Thats wrong. Just look at him! Romney exclaimed. According to several sources including Romneys friend Matthew Friedemann, things then took a dark turn:

A few days later, Friedemann entered Stevens Hall off the schools collegiate quad to find Romney marching out of his own room ahead of a prep school posse shouting about their plan to cut Laubers hair. Friedemann followed them to a nearby room where they came upon Lauber, tackled him and pinned him to the ground. As Lauber, his eyes filling with tears, screamed for help, Romney repeatedly clipped his hair with a pair of scissors.

According to the article, Romney also taunted a closeted gay classmate with calls of atta girl! in a separate incident.

http://www.nationalmemo.com/did-mitt...n-high-school/

See also:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...KFU_story.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2012, 03:33 PM
Veggie Regular

“The people involved didn’t come out of the closet until years later…The idea that this is something that was known by me … is obviously absurd. I had no idea that this person might have been gay…I don’t remember that incident and I’ll tell you I certainly don’t believe that I, I can’t speak for other people of course, thought the fellow was homosexual.” - Mitt Romney

Willard is more full of **** than my toilet was this afternoon.
#3 Old 05-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Doesn't remember it. Riiiiight. Liar. How do all of his classmates who witnessed it remember it?

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-10-2012, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

So not surprising. I have a lot of experience with school bullies and he always seemed like one to me

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#5 Old 05-10-2012, 09:16 PM
Veggie Regular

A school bully should not be president. They would become a dictator.
#6 Old 05-11-2012, 04:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

So not surprising. I have a lot of experience with school bullies and he always seemed like one to me

Yep I always thought the same. He was a bully then and still is one now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

A school bully should not be president.

Agreed. There has been so much attention brought to anti bullying campaigns and progress made with getting anti bullying laws passed, but I fear what will happen if he becomes President.
#7 Old 05-11-2012, 04:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freesia View Post

A school bully should not be president. They would become a dictator.

You're making it sound like people cannot change at all.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#8 Old 05-11-2012, 04:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envy View Post

Well he didn't change 20 years later when he strapped his dog to the roof of his car.
#9 Old 05-11-2012, 05:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

Well he didn't change 20 years later when he strapped his dog to the roof of his car.

This particular case might not be the perfect example though.

"Hell exists not to punish sinners, but to ensure that nobody sins in the first place."
#10 Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

He and his supporters are using the "youthful indiscretion" defense..."It was 50 years ago and I've changed"...

But the way I see it, he hasn't changed. He went from bullying in the school yard to bullying in the board room.

His highschool victim was powerless to stop him, and the workers he fires when he takes over a company are powerless to stop him.

His whole life is based on taking advantage/harming others who can't fight back.

The sad part is a lot of people will probably respect him more because of his bullying.

Mitt Romney’s Empathy Problem

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...ors_picks=true

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888
#11 Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 AM
Joe
Veggie Regular

May 10, 2012

My School Days

By Mitt Romney
Quote:

NEW YORK - (The Borowitz Report) - Today, presumptive GOP nominee Mitt Romney released the following open letter to the American people:

Dear Friends:

This week, The Washington Post reported an incident from my high school days in which I bullied a gay classmate by pinning him to the ground and cutting his hair off. This story revealed a side of Mitt Romney that may have been surprising to many of you: the Mitt Romney with an irrepressible and hilarious sense of humor.

Some of you may say, Hold on, Mitt isnt holding a kid down and cutting off his hair going a little far? Well, the merry prankster in me tells me you can never go too far when it comes to giving the greatest gift of all: the gift of laughter. And I certainly remember many of us laughing long and hard about what I did to that Nancy-boy. Was it cruel? Perhaps, but its not like I tied him to the roof of a car or anything.

The Democrats have already tried to seize on this incident as evidence that I dont like gays. That is a lie. I have nothing against gays. Except for the poor ones, of course. And as any of my high school chums can tell you, I did not go out of my way to pick on gay kids. I was also a total douche to many heterosexuals.

The fact is, boys will be boys. Who among us hasnt shoved a crippled kid down a flight of stairs? Thats something else I did in those mischievous days, but the mainstream media isnt reporting it because they want to turn this into an anti-gay thing. The fact is, when I was in high school I played pranks on everyone blind kids, deaf kids, dwarves and Jews. Although come to think of it, I dont think our school accepted Jews.

Now that Ive put my actions into better context, I hope youll see this incident with the gay kid for what it was: innocent good fun. And I hope when you vote in November, you wont judge me as the teenager who bullied one gay boy, but rather as the adult who fired thousands of people.

Vote for me,

Mitt Romney

http://www.borowitzreport.com/2012/0...y-school-days/
#12 Old 05-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I think when President Romney bombs Sweden for being "too gay" you might understand.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#13 Old 05-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

I think when President Romney bombs Sweden for being "too gay" you might understand.

I'm sure he would claim he had no idea Sweden was gay at the time.
#14 Old 05-11-2012, 11:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Bombing is a fun prank! Get a sense of humor already!

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#15 Old 05-11-2012, 11:33 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

But would he cut Sweden's beautiful blonde hair for being too gay?
#16 Old 05-11-2012, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LedBoots View Post

But would he cut Sweden's beautiful blonde hair for being too gay?

Sweden looks like a sissy boy with that hair.
#17 Old 05-11-2012, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Sweden's asking for it.
#18 Old 05-11-2012, 11:43 AM
Veggie Regular

You're just mad jelly of our Aryan appearance.

#19 Old 05-11-2012, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beancounter View Post

He and his supporters are using the "youthful indiscretion" defense..."It was 50 years ago and I've changed"...

But the way I see it, he hasn't changed. He went from bullying in the school yard to bullying in the board room.

His highschool victim was powerless to stop him, and the workers he fires when he takes over a company are powerless to stop him.

His whole life is based on taking advantage/harming others who can't fight back.

The sad part is a lot of people will probably respect him more because of his bullying.

Mitt Romney’s Empathy Problem

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blog...ors_picks=true

I agree.

Despite how much he's disliked, in some ways he's the perfect candidate for the present-day Republican party.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#20 Old 05-11-2012, 11:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

my experience is that people generally don't change, unless they work really hard at it. and there is,plenty of evidence that he hasn't.
#21 Old 05-14-2012, 05:22 AM
Veggie Regular

We've all heard by now the story of Romney closing down his business for a day to look for an "employees" missing daughter.

Well, as it turns out the "employee" is actually a business partner of Romney's.

In other words, not one of the "little people".

And since this guy is probably an executive or principle, he should have had enough money to hire his own private investigators to find his daughter.

But being the cheapskates that they are, they used employee labor to do the search..after all they were paying them anyway. It would be a sunk cost after all. No sense in shelling out any additional funds... [sarcasm]

Happiness is not the result of a mathematical equation comparing the good times and bad times someone has had. It is a state of mind.
-nomad888

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page