Wisconsin Equal Pay Law Repealed Because “Money Is More Important For Men” - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 04-09-2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

http://www.care2.com/causes/wisconsi...t-for-men.html

Quote:
As Jessica Pieklo reported yesterday, the Governor of Wisconsin, with little notice or discussion, repealed the states Equal Pay law. For Scott Walker, it was no doubt the most logical step in his ongoing war on women and the working class, as the Equal Pay Law protected not just women but any protected class.
But for the Republican who was most enthusiastic about rescinding the law, it was really about fairness. After all, according to him, money is more important for men.
Over at the Daily Beast, Michelle Goldberg writes a detailed account of the repeal and the effect it will have in the state. Goldberg also interviews Republican state senator Glenn Grothman, who was an enthusiastic fan of repealing the law. According to Grothman, not only is there no actual pay gap between the sexes, if there was one it wouldnt matter anyway. After all, men need money more than women do, since they have families to support. You could argue that money is more important for men, he told Goldberg. I think a guy in their first job, maybe because they expect to be a breadwinner someday, may be a little more money-conscious. To attribute everything to a so-called bias in the workplace is just not true.
Grothmans views on women in the workplace is very 1960s sitcom to start with, but his understanding of breadwinning is even more so. Many families have two breadwinners, as both partners either chose to or have to both be in the workplace. And the majority of families lead by just one parent have mothers at the helm.
Then again, when asked about his source for his figures that prove there is no wage gap between the sexes, Grothman stated it was Ann Coulter. Thats sound research to base legislation on.

It's an increasing phenomenon that I have to look twice at headlines about Republicans to make sure they're not from The Onion. If they're going to keep being this kind of cartoonish vision of evil, it's going to become impossible to lampoon them.

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 04-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Ah, Scott Walker. Goofball. I wonder how he'll do in the recall election?
#3 Old 04-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't understand. If there's no wage gap anyway, why repeal the law?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 04-09-2012, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

What does the law even say anyway?

Jesus saved me, but the file was corrupted.
#5 Old 04-10-2012, 03:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werewolf Girl View Post

It's an increasing phenomenon that I have to look twice at headlines about Republicans to make sure they're not from The Onion. If they're going to keep being this kind of cartoonish vision of evil, it's going to become impossible to lampoon them.

One of these days, Stephen Colbert is going to be put out of business by Republicans acting just like him.

--Fromper
#6 Old 04-10-2012, 04:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatricious View Post

I don't understand. If there's no wage gap anyway, why repeal the law?

This article explains it a little better: http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/3257...nce-sex-ed.htm

Quote:
In what was perhaps his most surprising move, Walker signed a bill repealing the state's 2009 Equal Pay Enforcement Act, which made it easier for victims of wage discrimination to have their day in court.
The law allowed individuals to plead their discrimination cases in the less costly state circuit court system, rather than just in federal court, a provision the newest legislation rolled back. Jeff Hynes, the president of the Wisconsin Employment Lawyers Association, told the Journal Sentinel the changes sends a signal to employers that mistreat their workers that they "can get away with it every time."
"The governor and the Republican leadership in Wisconsin have effectuated a one-two punch with respect to employees' rights to get any meaningful remedy" in discrimination cases, Hynes told the newspaper.
The law approved by Walker removes the ability for victims of wage discrimination to go to court for compensatory and punitive damages, although they still have the ability to seek back pay. Hynes noted that Walker previously signed legislation that puts a limit on the amount of attorney's fees victims can recover in lawsuits, making it even less likely that wronged employees will take their cases to court.
Under the new law, there will be no remedy for justice under state employment law for women who are sexually harassed in the workplace, or for minorities who are subjected to racial epithets and other signs of discrimination.

It's also interesting that he's pushing so hard for abstinence only sex education with no mention of contraception while at the same time forcing women getting abortions to have a consultation with a doctor so they can be "informed." So, Scott Walker wants already pregnant women to be informed about abortion but he wants to deny important information about how to not get pregnant to adolescents when they need it most?

If you're against abortion wouldn't you want to... I don't know... Maybe educate young people so they will know how to avoid accidental pregnancies and not get them?

"If we could live happy and healthy lives without harming others... why wouldn't we?" - Edgars Mission
#7 Old 04-10-2012, 10:29 PM
Veggie Regular

WG - It still doesn't explain that if discrimination doesn't exist when all variables are taken into account, why Walker would have to repeal a law that doesn't apply.

Oh, and abstinence-only education isn't about reducing abortions, it is about trying to prevent young people from having sex.
#8 Old 04-10-2012, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by das_nut View Post

WG - It still doesn't explain that if discrimination doesn't exist when all variables are taken into account, why Walker would have to repeal a law that doesn't apply.

Grothman claimed discrimination doesn't exist, that doesn't make it true. The Equal Pay law was enacted largely in response to a pay gap between men and women, one that was especially bad in Wisconsin, and it was showing positive results:

Quote:
The Equal Pay law wasn’t just about women—it also offered protection from discrimination based on race, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation, and other factors. But it was enacted largely in response to a large gap between men and women’s compensation, one that was worse than average in Wisconsin—in 2009 the state ranked 36th in the country in terms of workplace gender parity.

Wisconsin’s law was similar to many others—indeed, almost every state in the country has anti-discrimination laws that augment federal legislation. “It’s often easier, faster, and cheaper to pursue a claim of discrimination in state court than in federal court,” says Linda Meric, national director of 9to5, an organization devoted to working-women’s issues. “The law is different in each state, but Wisconsin was certainly in the mainstream in having a law that provided remedies for employees who experienced discrimination on the job.”

To bring a suit under the law, a plaintiff first had to go through a state-level administrative process to prove discrimination. It was rigorous enough that in the two years the law was in effect, not a single equal-pay lawsuit was filed. Still, the law’s supporters believe it has been effective in spurring businesses to pay women more fairly. Thus by 2010, the state had climbed to 24th in the national gender-parity rankings, with women making 78 percent as much as men, compared to 77 percent nationally. “Since the law was put into place, employers actually took notice and were very conscious of the fact that they had to follow this law or they were at risk of a lawsuit,” Sinicki argues.

Quote:

Oh, and abstinence-only education isn't about reducing abortions, it is about trying to prevent young people from having sex.

No one said it was, but abstinence only education has been proven ineffective time and time again. Kids still have sex and they still get pregnant, only actually teaching them about contraception has actually been shown to reduce the amount of teen pregnancies and therefore abortions. In fact, the amount of teen pregnancies and abortions fell to a record low in 2008 because of an increased use of contraceptives.

If you're pro-life (like Scott Walker) wouldn't it stand to reason that you'd be interested in reducing the number of teen pregnancies and therefore the number of abortions? Only teaching abstinence and completely ignoring important information about contraceptives is a great way to fill up abortion clinics.

#9 Old 04-11-2012, 03:34 AM
Banned

Quote:

If you're against abortion wouldn't you want to... I don't know... Maybe educate young people so they will know how to avoid accidental pregnancies and not get them?

Hmmm ...

They taught my generation next to sweet FA about contraception and teenage pregnancies were rare.

They taught subsequent generations increasingly more about contraception and teenage pregnancies soared.

Despite that being fact and not opinion my mind cannot cope with the concept that it is education to blame for that though.

Correlation does not always equal cause and I definitely think that only a flightless turkey could reason that taking education out of the equation would do anything other than make the situation worse.

Actual problem is more likely to be a combination of increased financial support and social acceptance of single parents.
#10 Old 04-11-2012, 05:46 AM
Veggie Regular

that is such absolute nonsense. my parent were considered relatively old parents in the 70s. this was because tbey didn't have kids in their teens like most other people they knew. "Riding in cars with boys" is set in the 1960s. your generation just kept it all more under wraps, with early marriages and lots of adoption.
#11 Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Grothman claimed discrimination doesn't exist, that doesn't make it true. The Equal Pay law was enacted largely in response to a pay gap between men and women, one that was especially bad in Wisconsin, and it was showing positive results

They credit the law with showing positive results, but no cases were brought under that law.

Wouldn't it be more likely that the Great Recession, which hit men harder, is a more likely cause of men's and women's income becoming more equal?
#12 Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

what's wrong with kans -

i mean wisconsin?

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#13 Old 04-11-2012, 08:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

what's wrong with kans -

i mean wisconsin?

Their governor.
#14 Old 04-11-2012, 08:33 AM
American Made, Rebel Born

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spang View Post

Their governor.

not Paul Ryan?

cry havoc! and let slip the dogs of war.
#15 Old 04-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenickie View Post

not Paul Ryan?

Not in this case.
#16 Old 04-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I think he has a point. Hookers and beer can get kind of expensive.

"I'm not in this world to live up to your expectations and you're not in this world to live up to mine." Bruce Lee.

"On a large enough time line, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." Chuck Palahniuk (Fight Club)

#17 Old 04-11-2012, 09:35 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:

They credit the law with showing positive results, but no cases were brought under that law.

Wouldn't it be more likely that the Great Recession, which hit men harder, is a more likely cause of men's and women's income becoming more equal?

That's what I was thinking.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page