practical aspects of suicide - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-13-2012, 09:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I think that doctors should have the right to assist and or administer lethal injection to there patients if there patients request it and they are unable to do it themselves!

Can anyone else here think of any other practical aspects of suicide?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Uh... the length of the rope?

Jesus saved me, but the file was corrupted.
#3 Old 03-14-2012, 08:50 AM
Veggie Regular

If someone wanted to die peacefully and without pain instead of succumbing to the inevitable painful death of their terminal disease, I'm not going to tell them what to do with their life.

Fear is simply the consequence of the acceptance of ignorance; reject ignorance and accept knowledge-- with knowledge all fears are relinquished and the light of truth within shines through to guide your path.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 AM
Veggie Regular

I've got zero problem with suicide, assisted or otherwise, when terminal illness is the driving factor and quality of life has diminished considerably. It is every person's right to die in the manner they choose. The gray area is whether or not the person in question is capable of making that rational decision. Terminal illness aside, lots of folks have offed themselves who might have gone on to lead happy healthy lives had they received appropriate intervention.
#5 Old 03-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

My grandfather has Alzheimer's. He was a Rhodes scholar and civil servant - he hired Pierre Trudeau to his first government job (Pierre Trudeau would later be the Prime Minister of Canada). A completely brilliant and funny man. Now he's 95 and has zero quality of life. He can no longer read, because he can't retain any of the information. He can't have normal conversations. He forgets what you've told him ten seconds afterwards and gets angry and confused. He doesn't know who I or any of his other grandchildren are.

The tragedy of it is that he's in pretty good physical shape considering his age and will probably live for a good while longer. I know it sounds callous to say, but whenever my mom calls me a part of me hopes it's to tell me that my grandfather has died, because I know he's miserable. Assisted suicide needs to be an option for people who want to die with dignity. I don't know if my grandfather would even have that option, since he isn't of sound mind, but watching him go through this has definitely made me passionate about the right to die. I think this issue is going to be in the news more and more as the population ages and will hopefully become law within one or two generations.
#6 Old 03-14-2012, 09:44 AM
Banned

I think it should be legalized, too. People unhappy with their life will take it on their own or a doctor can do it for them painlessly and use the organs for other people who need them.
#7 Old 03-14-2012, 09:49 AM
Veggie Regular

To the OP: If by 'practical' you were asking only about the specific means of suicide, I've read that lethal injection isn't quite as painless as people would like to believe. Would carbon monoxide be a more pleasant choice?
#8 Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegman View Post

Can anyone else here think of any other practical aspects of suicide?

its painless. and it brings on many changes.

auto correct can kiss my ask
#9 Old 03-14-2012, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by offthahook View Post

its painless. and it brings on many changes.

I'm old enough to get that... and I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing.
#10 Old 03-14-2012, 12:42 PM
Ankle Biter

I used to think that suicide was a choice that I could make. But I'm not so sure anymore. I could make the decision for euthanasia, I think, easier for a loved one than I could for myself.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#11 Old 03-14-2012, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

I think it should be legalized, too. People unhappy with their life will take it on their own or a doctor can do it for them painlessly and use the organs for other people who need them.

I'm pretty sure the organs would not be usable after a lethal injection.
#12 Old 03-14-2012, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digger View Post

I'm old enough to get that... and I'm not sure if it's a good or bad thing.

It's bad trust me, lol.
#13 Old 03-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

I used to think that suicide was a choice that I could make. But I'm not so sure anymore. I could make the decision for euthanasia, I think, easier for a loved one than I could for myself.

I know my dad in no way shape or form wants to live life if he ever has to permanently go to a nursing home or develops Alzheimer.
#14 Old 03-14-2012, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd definitely off myself in some circumstances. There are some things you just never come back from, and if your life's gonna be ****e until you finally kick it, you might as well just die.

#15 Old 03-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savvington View Post

I'd definitely off myself in some circumstances.

Yeah, I was thinking of seeing Cocktail (1988) another time when I noticed this thread.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#16 Old 03-14-2012, 02:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Jefferson Starship and Tom Cruise will do that.

#17 Old 03-14-2012, 06:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I worked on the dementia/alzheimer's floor of a nursing home for a few years and I watched both my grandparents suffer from both as well. I have no problem with euthanasia or assisted suicide.
#18 Old 03-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Suicide seems like the ultimate freedom to me! free from pain, free from needs and wants, freedom from this hell called earth! I am not afraid of dieing, in fact i welcome it. if i get cancer i will not seek treatment or if i get any fatal illness i will not seek help! i am not going to harm this body of mine but if my body starts to brake down on me i will not hold it back. if it's my time to go then it's my time to go!

BTW When i die my body will be treated the Klingon way (see below)!

Star Trek, Season 1-Episode 20, Heart of Glory.
[one of the rescued Klingons has died]
Doctor Beverly Crusher: Is there any special arrangement you would like for the body?
Captain Korris: It is only an empty shell now. Please treat it as such!

#19 Old 03-14-2012, 09:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I suppose in a way it does free you from everything, be it good or bad.

#20 Old 03-14-2012, 09:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Is it considered suicide if I eat raw beans as a snack and die of poisoning despite knowing about the risks beforehand? Doesn't seem like a very practical method.

"A-yup. Ya wasted yer life, son"

- Old Man
#21 Old 03-14-2012, 10:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I suppose in a way it does free you from everything, be it good or bad.

And i belive there is about 2/3 more bad in the world than good!

#22 Old 03-14-2012, 10:43 PM
Veggie Regular

But do good and bad experiences have the same value?

#23 Old 03-15-2012, 12:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

define Value.

#24 Old 03-15-2012, 03:05 AM
Veggie Regular

"How much it matters to you" assuming equal severity.

#25 Old 03-15-2012, 04:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forster View Post

I know my dad in no way shape or form wants to live life if he ever has to permanently go to a nursing home or develops Alzheimer.

My dad has made me promise to 'top' him if he ever totaly 'loses his marbles'.

For complicated reasons if it ever came to that I would want to be tried for his murder.

Prime reason I would oppose him being allowed to opt for it legaly is this: If he had that choice he would feel guilty in continuing to live if he considered himself to have become a burden.

Breif experiences in a nursing home also leave me in no doubt whatsover that in many instances, if euthansia were legal, that there would be one hell of a lot of guilt tripping and coercion going on.
#26 Old 03-15-2012, 04:28 AM
Banned

Quote:

Personaly ..

My 'best' experiences have come about from what I learned from my 'worst' ones.

Opinion on that is likely to vary widely from person to person.
#27 Old 03-15-2012, 04:30 AM
Banned

My nan always told us "if I get like that, shoot me" meaning if she deteriorated so she didn't have a good quality of life. When she had a stroke and the doctors told us she would never recover the ability to speak, eat or move by herself again, and they wanted to take her off oxygen and IV nutrients and let her pass away, it made the decision obvious if not easy. She would have hated being trapped in a broken body without being able to communicate, but it was very unlikely she would even have been aware of it because so much of her brain was dead. I feel like we got off really easy, we were given the option to let her die. I feel very sorry for people who know their loved one doesn't want to be alive any more, but are restrained by law from giving them what they want.
#28 Old 03-15-2012, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fadeaway1289 View Post

I worked on the dementia/alzheimer's floor of a nursing home for a few years and I watched both my grandparents suffer from both as well. I have no problem with euthanasia or assisted suicide.

ditto..

Having worked with clients with Alzheimers and watching my lovely dad suffering it for ten years I have no problem with assisted suicide either. The greatest gift I could have given my dad was to assist him out of the hell his life became.
#29 Old 03-15-2012, 05:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I do blieve if someone of sound mind desides that they would like to die should it come to it, thats fine. Its their right to choose not to suffer. But from a personal angle I have a bad enough time with guilt after deciding an animal needs to go(pets that are old and suffering) I wouldnt like to have to make the decision about a human. Especially a family member, all on my own without knowing what they felt on the subject.
#30 Old 03-15-2012, 05:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Goth-Alice. View Post

I do blieve if someone of sound mind desides that they would like to die should it come to it, thats fine. Its their right to choose not to suffer. But from a personal angle I have a bad enough time with guilt after deciding an animal needs to go(pets that are old and suffering) I wouldnt like to have to make the decision about a human. Especially a family member, all on my own without knowing what they felt on the subject.

I agree, and I also see a big potential for abuse. There really are people who would gladly see their parents die to get the inheritance, or because they don't want the burden of having to visit them, or see the inheritance eaten up by nursing home fees. It's hard to see how it can be regulated properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page