I know there are similar threads talking about the 1 percenters. However, I would like this thread to be dedicated to actual
reasons why we are mad. Below are some of the reasons that I am aware of. If you have any reasons to add, please post them. I would like to know about all the inequalities that are going on.
- The top 1% own 42% of the wealth in this country. That scale is massively out of whack.
- Much of the money the super rich earn is from investments. This money is not taxed as heavily. It is taxed at a rate of 15% versus the normal 35%.
- Social Security taxes only the first $106,800 of your income. That means mega-rich people pay a significantly lower percentage than the rest of us.
- It is common knowledge that you will probably never see all your Social Security money again. You are being ripped off every single paycheck.
- The government gave banks a huge bailout with no rules for how they were to use the money. CEOs promptly gave themselves huge bonuses.
- The government secretly loaned banks $7.7 trillion dollars nearly interest-free (a rate of .01%), which the banks got to use to make a 13 billion dollar profit. Taxpayers are the ones who funded this.
- Members of Congress are currently exempt from insider trading laws. They can legally break the same law that would get you thrown in a Federal prison.
- We all know that lobbyists and special interest groups do under-the-table deals to influence laws and subsidies. This is completely unfair to taxpayers.
Check out this chart:
Since 1979, regular people's income has only increased about 25% or so. The 1 percenter's have increased 281%. To keep up with inflation (which is 3% per year), our incomes should have increased 84%. This means that regular people's standard of living has decreased.
That's all I can think of at this time. Tell me what you know!