Reasons why people are growing mad at the top 1% - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-27-2012, 07:32 AM
Banned

I know there are similar threads talking about the 1 percenters. However, I would like this thread to be dedicated to actual reasons why we are mad. Below are some of the reasons that I am aware of. If you have any reasons to add, please post them. I would like to know about all the inequalities that are going on.

• The top 1% own 42% of the wealth in this country. That scale is massively out of whack.
  • Much of the money the super rich earn is from investments. This money is not taxed as heavily. It is taxed at a rate of 15% versus the normal 35%.
  • Social Security taxes only the first $106,800 of your income. That means mega-rich people pay a significantly lower percentage than the rest of us.
  • It is common knowledge that you will probably never see all your Social Security money again. You are being ripped off every single paycheck.
  • The government gave banks a huge bailout with no rules for how they were to use the money. CEOs promptly gave themselves huge bonuses.
  • The government secretly loaned banks $7.7 trillion dollars nearly interest-free (a rate of .01%), which the banks got to use to make a 13 billion dollar profit. Taxpayers are the ones who funded this.
  • Members of Congress are currently exempt from insider trading laws. They can legally break the same law that would get you thrown in a Federal prison.
  • We all know that lobbyists and special interest groups do under-the-table deals to influence laws and subsidies. This is completely unfair to taxpayers.

Check out this chart:

Since 1979, regular people's income has only increased about 25% or so. The 1 percenter's have increased 281%. To keep up with inflation (which is 3% per year), our incomes should have increased 84%. This means that regular people's standard of living has decreased.

That's all I can think of at this time. Tell me what you know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page